Pokémon Grimmsnarl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimmsnarl

Base Stats: 95 HP | 120 Atk | 65 Def | 95 SpA | 75 SpD | 60 Spe
Abilities: Prankster | Frisk | Pickpocket (HA)
Level Up Moves:
- [00] Spirit Break
- [01] Spirit Break
- [01] False Surrender
- [01] Bulk Up
- [01] Power-Up Punch
- [01] Fake Out
- [01] Confide
- [01] Bite
- [01] Flatter
- [12] Fake Tears
- [16] Assurance
- [20] Swagger
- [24] Sucker Punch
- [28] Torment
- [35] Dark Pulse
- [40] Nasty Plot
- [48] Play Rough
- [56] Foul Play
- [64] Hammer Arm

TMs:
- [TM00] Mega Punch
- [TM01] Mega Kick
- [TM03] Fire Punch
- [TM04] Ice Punch
- [TM05] Thunder Punch
- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM14] Thunder Wave
- [TM17] Light Screen
- [TM18] Reflect
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM23] Thief
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM26] Scary Face
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM42] Revenge
- [TM43] Brick Break
- [TM47] Fake Tears
- [TM58] Assurance
- [TM60] Power Swap
- [TM63] Drain Punch
- [TM65] Shadow Claw
- [TM71] Wonder Room
- [TM75] Low Sweep
- [TM76] Round
- [TM79] Retaliate
- [TM87] Draining Kiss
- [TM98] Stomping Tantrum

TRs:
- [TR01] Body Slam
- [TR07] Low Kick
- [TR13] Focus Energy
- [TR14] Metronome
- [TR18] Leech Life
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR32] Crunch
- [TR35] Uproar
- [TR37] Taunt
- [TR38] Trick
- [TR39] Superpower
- [TR48] Bulk Up
- [TR58] Dark Pulse
- [TR64] Focus Blast
- [TR68] Nasty Plot
- [TR72] Power Whip
- [TR81] Foul Play
- [TR90] Play Rough
- [TR92] Dazzling Gleam
- [TR93] Darkest Lariat
- [TR95] Throat Chop
- [TR99] Body Press
[Notable Moves]
- Bulk Up
- Spirit Break
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Darkest Lariat
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Power Whip
- Drain Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Superpower
- Stomping Tantrum
- Leech Life
- Foul Play
- Substitute
- Taunt
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Trick
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

[New Moves]

Spirit Break

80 BP
100% Accuracy
15 PP
Lowers the target's SpA (100%)

False Surrender

80 BP
Never misses
15 PP
No added effects.

[Pros]

- Dark/Fairy typing gives Grimmsnarl only two weaknesses: Fairy and Steel. This combined with its decent bulk makes it easy for Grimmsnarl to come in, especially with all the offensive ghosts in the tier; and harder to threaten out, especially given how few powerful Steel and Fairy type attackers there are this gen.
- Grimmsnarl has access to a wide range of Physical coverage moves to go with its 120 Attack stat, letting it pick and choose what it wants to be able to hit super effectively.
- Prankster in combination with a wide array of status moves lets Grimmsnarl serve a utility role that isn't hampered by its poor speed. Access to Screens, Trick, Swagger, Thunder Wave, and Taunt give it plenty of options to support its team, making it fairly splashable.

[Cons]

- Grimmsnarl is painfully slow at base 60, so it struggles in the current heavily offensive metagame.
- Grimmsnarl suffers heavily from 4MSS, as its stab coverage isn't spectacular on its own and leaves it prone to getting walled by many of the bulkier pokemon in the tier without supereffective coverage; however, more coverage moves eats into Grimmsnarl's potential role as a utility pokemon.
- 120 Attack unfortunately isn't that high on its own, and Grimmsnarl's only boosting move is Bulk Up, so it requires a boosting item to break past the bulkier walls in the tier (Corviknight, Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, G-Weezing).
- Lack of recovery outside of Drain Punch/Leech Life/Rest/Leftovers makes it possible for Grimmsnarl to be worn down over the course of the match.

[Dynamaxing Potential]

- Grimmsnarl isn't the best candidate for Dynamaxing because of its low speed, medium attack stat, and lack of boosting moves.
- In addition, utility Grimmsnarl sets generally won't have any reason to Dynamax, since it'll get stuck with Max Guards and be easily wallable thanks to its lack of coverage.
- However, Grimmsnarl's wide physical coverage gives it access to a bunch of different max moves, so a Bulk Up/Choice Band set could theoretically use Dynamax to get off a max move against something that's supposed to wall it.
- That said, Dynamaxing's sweeping potential means its generally better reserved for stronger pokemon like Gyarados, Hawlucha or Excadrill, so I wouldn't expect to see Grimmsnarl Dynamaxed all that often.

Grimmsnarl also gets access to a Gigantamax form, which turns Grimmsnarl's Dark-type moves into the following G-Max Move:

G-Max Snooze
/

130 BP
Never misses
10 PP
The target falls asleep at the end of the next turn (applies the Yawn effect).

While its unlikely to see Grimmsnarl Dynamax, the utility of its G-Max move is useful enough that it could be used in a pinch to turn a match around.

[Potential Movesets]

Dual Screens
(Grimmsnarl) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Spirit Break/Darkest Lariat/Foul Play

Personally, I think this is the best Grimmsnarl set. Grimmsnarl's typing and already decent bulk make it very hard to OHKO behind a screen, and Prankster guarantees it goes up. Once screens are up, pokemon like Hawlucha and Gyarados have a very easy time of coming in, setting up, and sweeping. Taunt shuts down Defog, as well as pokemon like Toxapex, Ferrothorn and Hippowdown that try to take advantage of this set's passivity to set up Hazards or Recover off damage. It also shuts down opposing Webs/Screens in the Offense mirror, which gives you a huge advantage when trying to sweep. This set suffers from only having one slot to attack with, however, so against a lot of the bulky pokemon in the tier, after setting up screens and taunting them, you have to switch out.

Offensive Utility (Grimmsnarl) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Taunt/Swagger
- Darkest Lariat/Foul Play
- Thunder Punch/Spirit Break/Fire Punch
- Thunder Wave

I expect sets like this to be Grimmsnarl's most common, thanks to their splashability. The EVs and moves could pretty much go in any direction given what the team needs, but the combination of 1-2 support moves and the right coverage gives utility Grimmsnarl sets a lot of splashability on a team. I think you generally will want a Dark move for access to G-Max Snooze when you need it, but that's generally going to depend on the team's needs. Swagger seems gimmickey, but gives you an out to Dynamax sweepers like Gyarados and Hawlucha, that Ditto can then come in and take advantage of, copying the attack boost without the confusion. Taunt will be important for shutting down stall, and Thunder Wave will shut down offense.

Choice Band (Grimmsnarl) (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Trick
- Play Rough
- Darkest Lariat
- Thunder Punch/Fire Punch

Prankster + Trick lets Grimmsnarl force a pokemon into being Choice-locked before it can move. This can be used to cripple walls that try to switch into Grimmsnarl. Choice Band also lets Grimmsnarl serve as a decently powerful wallbreaker without Trick, hitting 558 Attack with maximum investment. Its worth noting that Dynamax/Gigantamax can be used to remove the Choice-lock for 3 turns, which will be important if your opponent walls Grimmsnarl with smart switches (eg Pex into Thunder Punch, then switching to Ferrothorn to wall Grimmsnarl).

Grimmsnarl does have the movepool for Bulk Up/Rest Talk sets, but Toxapex shuts down any sweeper Grimmsnarl set with its absurd bulk and Haze. Theoeretically, with the right team support it could work, but at that point you're going out of your way to build a set that's just going to overperform all the way better setup sweepers in the tier, while depriving your team of Grimmsnarl's very good supportive capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a Utility Set, might it be worth slashing Spirit Break as opposed to Play Rough? Losing 10BP does hurt, but the set isn't designed for breaking things, and in exchange you get a guaranteed SpA drop which can be very handy to hinder other setup sweepers trying to switch in to take advantage (and 100% accuracy too but that's minor).

For a Utility Set, might it be worth slashing Spirit Break as opposed to Play Rough? Losing 10BP does hurt, but the set isn't designed for breaking things, and in exchange you get a guaranteed SpA drop which can be very handy to hinder other setup sweepers trying to switch in to take advantage (and 100% accuracy too but that's minor).
Oh yeah, you're totally right. Unless there's some super specific calc I'm missing out on, Spirit Break is gonna be better than Play Rough on everything except CB.

For an offensive utility set, I had this:

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 108 SpD / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

The EVs allow for Grimmsnarl to:
take two Fire Blasts from Choice Specs Dragapult
outspeed Gengar after a Thunder Wave.

The rest is put into bulk and Attack to pile on the hurt. Overall I think this mon could have some OU potential - it isn't screwed over by Dark types and has some very solid anti-Dynamax properties. Its unique defensive typing gives it capabilities of switching into Hydreigon too so I expect this mon to be tiered pretty strongly.

Stallbreaker:
Grimmsnarl @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Darkest Lariat / Play Rough
- Drain Punch

Although stall's strength is unknown yet, this set is a pretty nifty way to break down stall. A fast Taunt is always welcomed as it allows it to stop faster Pokemon trying to status it or set up alongside it (Rotom-Wash or some random CMer). Fairy/Fighting and Dark/Fighting are both good type combinations that gives it some versatility to break defensive cores relevant to the metagame. Darkest Lariat + Drain Punch gives it a fighting chance to beat over FerroPex cores while variants with Play Rough don't become sitting ducks against a core with Clefable in it. Understandably, the 2-move slot isn't going to be good in OU where FerroPex +/- Clefable exists in considerable abundance.

I think aiming to live two Flash Cannons from Hydreigon might be the benchmark for a bulky Offensive Utility set. Dunno if said set would even need much (if any) Attack investment (or an Attack boosting Nature) since Darkest Lariat/Spirit Break/Play Rough/whatever moves chosen are more for beating whatever you're supposed to check or scare out.

My go-to set for Grimmsnarl uses Spirit Break, Sucker Punch, Thunder Wave and Substitute with Leftovers. I think Substitute definitely deserves a mention as it can ease prediction, dodge status, stall out Dynamax turns, and makes for a haxy combo with Thunder Wave. It can make for some very fun mindgames too.

I've been using Sucker Punch/Double Screens/Thunder Wave as a dead stop to anything Dynamaxing while simultaneously providing me ways to set up. Great utility, there.

Am I the only one who gets a "Goblin Slayer" vibe from this thing? It's signature moves "False Surrender" and "Spirit Break" are scarily comparable to the events, behavior, and actions perpetrated by the goblins in that series. Perhaps the best counter to Grimmsnarl is this guy:

GOBLINS
Yes this creature in a Nintendo game for kids sure does remind me of a character in everyone's favorite incel gangrape featuring isekai.

Ema Skye

Work!
I've been using a RestTalk set and it's been pretty lulsy when Prankster SleepTalk lets you attack first.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Darkest Lariat

Went with Lariat so I could win vs BU Corviknight (so it ignores Bulk Up)

Hey, this is a setup that helps me fight physical attackers. The substitute protects you from status moves and gives you 2 turns to attack, since you have the priority of sucker punch after the substitute is broken. You can also dynamax in some cases to surprise your oponent but remenber you lose sucker punch due to dynamax.

Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Spirit Break
- Sucker Punch

Grimmsnarl @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Bulk Up
- Darkest Lariat
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This has been my go to Grimmsnarl set. Max HP and Sp def allow this thing to take special attacks decently and provide Grimmsanrl time to set up with bulk up. After a few bulk ups, this Pokemon becomes a sweeping threat to most teams. Only downside with this set is you do need to remove mons such as Toxapex and Clefable before you can execute your sweep. Having a dedicated anti stall Pokemon such as trick, choice scarf room is a must. Grimmsnarl has been my favorite new Pokemon so far and has gotten me into high ladder (I know it is still early).

Stallbreaker:
Grimmsnarl @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Darkest Lariat / Play Rough
- Drain Punch

Although stall's strength is unknown yet, this set is a pretty nifty way to break down stall. A fast Taunt is always welcomed as it allows it to stop faster Pokemon trying to status it or set up alongside it (Rotom-Wash or some random CMer). Fairy/Fighting and Dark/Fighting are both good type combinations that gives it some versatility to break defensive cores relevant to the metagame. Darkest Lariat + Drain Punch gives it a fighting chance to beat over FerroPex cores while variants with Play Rough don't become sitting ducks against a core with Clefable in it. Understandably, the 2-move slot isn't going to be good in OU where FerroPex +/- Clefable exists in considerable abundance.
I second this set, however I believe Thunder Wave should be an option over Drain Punch. Prankster Thunder Wave can be very useful for slowing down powerful dynamax pokemon in a pinch, such as gyarados, barraskewda, or hawlucha. Additionally, Spirit Break could prove to be useful due to its 100% chance to drop special attack.

I think that in this metagame Impish and max HP and Defense is the most useful way to use Grimmsnarl. Depending on the matchup this mon can sweep but I think a role dedicated more towards utility is the most effective.

tl;dr
Stallbreaker/Utility
Grimmsnarl @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Darkest Lariat / Play Rough/ Spirit Break
- Drain Punch/ Thunder Wave

Grimmsnarl @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Bulk Up
- Darkest Lariat
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This has been my go to Grimmsnarl set. Max HP and Sp def allow this thing to take special attacks decently and provide Grimmsanrl time to set up with bulk up. After a few bulk ups, this Pokemon becomes a sweeping threat to most teams. Only downside with this set is you do need to remove mons such as Toxapex and Clefable before you can execute your sweep. Having a dedicated anti stall Pokemon such as trick, choice scarf room is a must. Grimmsnarl has been my favorite new Pokemon so far and has gotten me into high ladder (I know it is still early).
Depending on the needs of your team, you could also try running Spirit Break over Lariat. Ive used it now with a fair amount of success.

How About This Set?( sry for the bad grammer btw xd) For this set I don’t have any moves like bulk up because im that person who doesn’t really set up before attacking. I Picked Adamant and a Attack Characteristic because im gonna try to make him stab with his moves.In using Leftovers to regain health over time. The Moves are Play Rough and Darkest Lariet For STABS, Drain Punch also for healing, and Thunder Wave to make my opponent slower and so I can hope for a free turn. For The EVs, I want to try to make my Grimmsnarl have some speed and a bit of attack while I give my defense and sp defense the rest of the EVs. I needed a Bulky Grimmsnarl that at least have some speed. Then I added EVs to attack to make it stronger.
Grimmsnarl (M) Item- Leftovers
Abillity- Prankster
Adamant ( Attack+ Sp Attack-)
IV- 252 HP , 68 Defense, 68 SP Defense, 80 Speed , 40 Attack
Moveset-
Play Rough
Darkest Lariet
Drain Punch
Thunder Wave

How About This Set?( sry for the bad grammer btw xd) For this set I don’t have any moves like bulk up because im that person who doesn’t really set up before attacking. I Picked Adamant and a Attack Characteristic because im gonna try to make him stab with his moves.In using Leftovers to regain health over time. The Moves are Play Rough and Darkest Lariet For STABS, Drain Punch also for healing, and Thunder Wave to make my opponent slower and so I can hope for a free turn. For The EVs, I want to try to make my Grimmsnarl have some speed and a bit of attack while I give my defense and sp defense the rest of the EVs. I needed a Bulky Grimmsnarl that at least have some speed. Then I added EVs to attack to make it stronger.
Abillity- Prankster
Moveset-
Play Rough
Darkest Lariet
Drain Punch
Thunder Wave
A couple decisions here seem weird. For one, wouldn’t you want spirit break over play rough? Although play rough has 15 more base power, it has a chance to miss, which is less than ideal. Spirit break also has a 100% chance of lowering the opponent’s special attack, which can be pretty clutch when battling a few mons.

Second of all, what’s with the EV spread? Does it hit any specific benchmarks you had in mind? Because with highly specific EV spreads like these, you usually want to keep in mind what it’s trying to beat - otherwise, you could be using your EVs inefficiently, and fail to outspeed key threats, survive key hits, or get key OHKOs/2HKOs that could’ve otherwise been kept in mind.

Grimmsnarl has a crazy potential with an interesting typing, Prankster, pretty good stats (even if the distribution could have been better) and a great movepool.

With all the physical setup sweepers in the meta, here is a set that could be interesting in my opinion :

Grimmsnarl @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Spirit Break
- Taunt

Even with 252/252+ defense, the strongest setup sweepers would just destroy you thanks to Dynamax absurd power.
Prankster Thunder Wave is great for at least crippling these setup sweepers while keeping your Dynamax for a counter-sweep.
If ParaHaxx gods are with you or if you survive a hit, you can punish a physical sweeper with a faster STAB Foul Play thanks to speed investment.
Taunt is here for messing with stallmons, while Spirit Break + Thunder Wave can cripple special setup sweepers.

Removing EVs from Spd to HP might be a better idea, I need to check speed tiers for setup sweepers and run some calcs for that.
Not sure if Leftovers is the best item with this set.

Last edited:
How About This Set?( sry for the bad grammer btw xd) For this set I don’t have any moves like bulk up because im that person who doesn’t really set up before attacking. I Picked Adamant because im gonna try to make him I want to try to make my Grimmsnarl have some speed and a bit of attack while I give my defense and sp defense high IVs.
Abillity- Prankster
Characteristic- Attack
Moveset-
Play Rough
Darkest Lariet
Drain Punch
Thunder Wave
When making a set, the EVs need to have a certain goal. For example:
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 108 SpD / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

The EVs allow for Grimmsnarl to:
take two Fire Blasts from Choice Specs Dragapult
outspeed Gengar after a Thunder Wave.
These benchmarks are clearly defined. The health and special defense clearly do something as well as the speed hits a certain benchmark. What specific Pokémon do you outspeed with that investment? The set Chazm posted has enough speed for a paralyzed Gengar. What hits can't it live without the EVs in Def and SpDef? Chazm's set is able to live two Fire Blasts from specs Dragapult. You can use a damage calculator and speed tiers for determining what investment is required. Of course, each team has different needs and a different, non-standard spread and moves may be optimal for your team specifically.

I know that you have the same speed as the example set, but I don't think you understand why the speed is important. Drain Punch seems less useful to me than Prankster Taunt. I know that I brought up some, if not all, of the same points as HeartfulKitty, but I wanted to go somewhat in depth about set creation.

And to clear your reply box (idk what to call it), delete the text and then save
Welcome to Smogon :)

Last edited:
I logged in soley to point out something i have not seen talked about. Most TM's of Gen 8 were bad, however, Grimmsnarl gains access to one o the most insane ability/Move combos to date, that no other Pokemon can. Prankster + Power Swap.

Yep, you guessed it. Not only was the Gain's Goblin blessed with great typing and a fantastic move pool, it also has the ability to PRIORITY STEAL attack and special attack buffs from opponents. This fact, coupled with access to screens, T-wave, Recovery via Drain Punch, priorty via sucker punch, and most importantly a respectable typing, means that it can cripple set up sweepers.

If you sent Grimmsnarl out against, say, Charizard with a Belly Drum boost, you could steal the +6, eat the hit with your reasonable bulk, then use said new power/ prankster to further set up/ threaten mons. I don't claim to have a tested set yet, but it could go along the lines of...

Set Name: Cheat Day
Grimmsnarl (M) Iapapa Berry/ Sitrus Berry (Prefrence)
Evs: Hp 252/ Def 252/ Attack 4
Impish Nature
- Sucker Punch/ Darkest Lariat
- Drain Punch/ Thunder Punch/ Spirit Break
-Power Swap
-Thunder Wave/ Taunt/ Swagger

I will stress again that this is a ROUGH idea and im sure the ev's can be optimized far better, but in theory when brought in you can Power Swap to tank a hit while gaining attack/special attack from the sweeper, then use the berry to heal up.

Sucker Punch should is obviosuly one of the best moves for the set as this Green Goblin wannabe is slow. Darkist Lariat is good however for dealing with Bulk Up mons like Corviknight which have been popping up. Second set of moves is your coverage of opinion. Thunder Punch deals with many of the big sweepers like Gyrados and Hawlucha, while Drain Punch recovers and hits Excadrill for effective damage. The last slot is for what you fear. T-wave will deal with your speed issue, Swagger if you want to be greedy, screens would be nice for coverage with Drain Punch... go nuts!

Grimmsnarl has a crazy potential with an interesting typing, Prankster, pretty good stats (even if the distribution could have been better) and a great movepool.

With all the physical setup sweepers in the meta, here is a set that could be interesting in my opinion :

Grimmsnarl @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Spirit Break
- Taunt

Even with 252/252+ defense, the strongest setup sweepers would just destroy you thanks to Dynamax absurd power.
Prankster Thunder Wave is great for at least crippling these setup sweepers while keeping your Dynamax for a counter-sweep.
If ParaHaxx gods are with you or if you survive a hit, you can punish a physical sweeper with a faster STAB Foul Play thanks to speed investment.
Taunt is here for messing with stallmons, while Spirit Break + Thunder Wave can cripple special setup sweepers.

Removing EVs from Spd to HP might be a better idea, I need to check speed tiers for setup sweepers and run some calcs for that.
Not sure if Leftovers is the best item with this set.
If you are attempting to use him as a dynamax stall/counter, why not just spam prankster substitute? Much more reliable

I logged in soley to point out something i have not seen talked about. Most TM's of Gen 8 were bad, however, Grimmsnarl gains access to one o the most insane ability/Move combos to date, that no other Pokemon can. Prankster + Power Swap.

Yep, you guessed it. Not only was the Gain's Goblin blessed with great typing and a fantastic move pool, it also has the ability to PRIORITY STEAL attack and special attack buffs from opponents. This fact, coupled with access to screens, T-wave, Recovery via Drain Punch, priorty via sucker punch, and most importantly a respectable typing, means that it can cripple set up sweepers.
This is a super cool observation, having an emergency check to a lot of sweepers is really useful. One thing to note though is that Power Swap will be stopped by Dark types, most notably Bulk Up Grimmsnarl, DD Tyranitar, Nasty Plot Hydreigon, and SD Bisharp.

Also minor note, Sleep Talk calling Darkest Lariat is blocked by other Grimmsnarl/aforementioned Dark types, something to note in the 1v1.

Does Power Swap go through Substitute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)