move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Iron Head / Thunder Punch
move 4: Swords Dance
item: Life Orb / Sharp Beak / Lum Berry
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Like many Flying-type Pokemon in this generation, Hawlucha has the ability to sweep in the right conditions with its access to Max Airstream. Hawlucha's STAB combination of Close Combat and Brave Bird is resisted by very few Pokemon, most notably Aegislash; however, it does need to be careful around opposing Dynamaxed Pokemon, as its defenses are very poor and it is unlikely to KO them without a Swords Dance set up or prior chip damage. For example, it loses to fully defensive Dynamaxed Ferrothorn, trying to race against Max Steelspike without previous boosts or chip. An Adamant nature can be used to supplement some power to win battles versus particularly bulky physical walls like the aformentioned Ferrothorn, at the cost of some Speed.

Iron Head, in combination with Mold Breaker, is designed to beat Mimikyu in particular, along with other Fairy-types. With Max Steelspike,Hawlucha is guaranteed the KO on all non-Dynamaxed Fairy-type Pokemon that aren't completely defensively invested or using a Babiri Berry. While it doesn't KO Dynamaxed Mimikyu without prior damage from Stealth Rock and Life Orb, Hawlucha will survive a Max Starfall with a +1 Defense and KO it while getting a Speed boost with Max Airstream right after. However, using only Max Airstream and forgoing Iron Head is still enough to damage most Fairy-types, so if you want more generalized coverage, Thunder Punch is another option that gives Hawlucha good coverage against important defensive threats, such as Corviknight and Toxapex.

Swords Dance is the go-to boosting move for Hawlucha. After a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha can OHKO most offensive foes with its wide STAB coverage while also potentially gaining boosts through Max Airstream and Max Knuckle. U-turn can be used over Swords Dance to bait in counters such as Corviknight and retain momentum.

Teammates for Hawlucha include special wallbreakers and slow pivots, such as Toxtricity, offensive Rotom formes, and Rillaboom, which mitigate Hawlucha's difficulty switching in while damaging physical walls, helping it sweep. Hawlucha also pairs well with dual screens to help it easily set up Swords Dance, so consider screens setters such as Grimmsnarl, Inteleon, and Dragapult.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[1_TrickPhony, 434111]]
- Quality checked by: [[Marilli, 70760], [Theorymon, 29010]]
- Grammar checked by: [[A Cake Wearing a Hat, 388157]]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sharp Beak is a potential item in case you are using Life Orb Elsewhere. Asides from that, in terms of nature, I've talked a bit about this elsewhere but you can run adamant nature on pokemon around this speed tier for extra power as you are still outspeeding threats such as Haxorus, Mimikyu, Hydreigon, Charizard Etc. and the extra speed only means you outspeed non speed invested Inteleon and Cinderace. You can speed tie with Adamant Sand Rush Drill at +1 with Jolly, but I think a lot are running Jolly so that is something to keep in mind.

I think Thunder Punch as well is a big consideration over Iron Head as LO / Sharp Beak Brave Bird OHKOs Mimikyu and TPunch would allow you to hit Corviknight and Toxapex whilst still covering Togekiss though you do lose out on Max Steelspike.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I think Sharp Beak is a potential item in case you are using Life Orb Elsewhere. Asides from that, in terms of nature, I've talked a bit about this elsewhere but you can run adamant nature on pokemon around this speed tier for extra power as you are still outspeeding threats such as Haxorus, Mimikyu, Hydreigon, Charizard Etc. and the extra speed only means you outspeed non speed invested Inteleon and Cinderace. You can speed tie with Adamant Sand Rush Drill at +1 with Jolly, but I think a lot are running Jolly so that is something to keep in mind.

I think Thunder Punch as well is a big consideration over Iron Head as LO / Sharp Beak Brave Bird OHKOs Mimikyu and TPunch would allow you to hit Corviknight and Toxapex whilst still covering Togekiss though you do lose out on Max Steelspike.
Agree on all fronts, added the changes good feedback :)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I do have some edits for the writing on this one. I'd suggest getting rid of the Close Combat paragraph (we're trying to cut down a bit on obvious STAB paragraphs, and it feels redundent from the first paragraph).

I'd also remove the speculation on U-turn becoming better at some point, since previews are more snapshots of what we currenly know rather than the future (since by that time this Pokemon will get an entire full analysis :P).

We don't need the Unburden paragraph either, since that's something reserved for other options, which won't come back until full analyseds start up again.

For the rest of the content itself though, I think you do a pretty good job describing what Hawlucha usually does, so once you make my edits, this will be QC Approved 1/2!

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Mention why it's Mold Breaker (mimikyu)
It's been a week since the latest post so I assume everyone who has had a problem had time to raise them.
I don't see why this shouldn't be QC2/2 so let's do that and push it to GP.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know Mold Breaker is all the rage, but I think there needs to be an Unburden set too. Terrain wars are non existent so getting the seed boost is very easy, and Memento Pincurchin / Screens Indeedee allows Hawlucha to get an SD / BU in pretty easily. Max Steelspike is great against Mimikyu, especially if running Electric Seed / Bulk Up. Doesn’t get revenge killed by Ditto like every other sweeper. Outspeeds sand rush Drill. Long story short it’s pretty clean.

Seeds are best in this set but i’ve seen everything from Power Herb, Sitrus Berry, and Weakness Policy...

Also of note is White Herb Hawlucha cause CC will trigger it, albeit I still prefer Sky Attack Power Herb.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I guess I never addressed it, but while I do agree unburden should be the second set, for the preview I asked theorymon in discord and he said I should focus on mold breaker rn

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Amcheck
Blue=Add (AC=Add Comma, AH=Add Hyphen, ASC=Add Semicolon, AS=Add Space, AA=Add Apostrophe)
Red=Remove (RC= Remove Comma, RH=Remove Hyphen, RSC=Remove Semicolon, RS=Remove Space, RA=Remove Apostrophe)
Green=Comments

[SET]
name: Dynamax Sweeper
move 1: Close Combat
move 3: Iron Head / Thunder Punch (Add Space)
item: Life Orb / Sharp Beak (Add Space)
nature: Jolly / Adamant (Add Space)

[SET DETAILS COMMENTS]

Like many Flying-type Pokemon in this generation, Hawlucha has the ability to perform a clean sweep in the right conditions with its access to Max Airstream. Its Hawlucha's STAB combination of Close Combat and Brave Bird is resisted by very few, most notably Aegislash, but it does need to be careful around opposing Dynamaxed Pokemon, as its defenses are very poor and it is unlikely to kill Dynamax Forme Pokemon them without a Swords Dance setup or prior chip damage. For example, it loses to fully defensive Dynamaxed Ferrothorn,(AC) trying to race against Max Steelspike without previous boosts or chip. Adamant natures can be used to help supplement some power to win battles versus particularly bulky physical walls (such as...?), at the cost of a bit of sSpeed.

Iron Head, in combination with the ability Mold Breaker, is designed to beat Mimikyu in particular, along with other fairies Fairy-types. With Max Steelspike, you are guaranteed a kill on all of the the KO on all non-Dynamaxed Forme Fairy-type Pokemon that aren't completely defensively invested. On Dynamax Mimikyu, wWhile you don't kill Dynamaxed Mimikyu without prior chip (such as 2 Life Orb recoils from Mimikyu attacks or Life Orb + Stealth Rocks Ddamage),(RC) you will live a Max Starfall with +1 Defense,(RC) then can gain a kill and the Speed boost and KO it while getting a Speed boost with Max Airstream right after. However, using only Max Airstream and forgoing Iron Head also does a significant amount of is still enough to damage to most fairies Fairy-types, so if you want to gain more generalized coverage, Thunder Punch is another alternative move option that gives you good coverage vs against important defensive threats, such as Corviknight and Toxapex.

Swords Dance is the go-to(AH) boosting move for Hawlucha. After a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha can one hit kill OHKO almost every non-physical wall at with neutral damage,(RC) while also potentially gaining boosts through Max Airstream and Max Knuckle. U-turn is another potential option in the can be used over Swords Dance slot that can be used to bait in counters such as Corviknight,(RC) to retain and gain momentum rather than trying to race defensive Pokemon at suboptimal times.

Teammates for Hawlucha include special wallbreakers and slow pivots such as offensive Rotom formes, Rillaboom and Toxtricity, which mitigate Hawlucha's two main weaknesses: difficulty switching in and needing while attaining chip damage/damage to on physical walls to let it sweep. Options include offensive Rotom variants, Rillaboom, or Toxtricity. Vikavolt should also be mentioned, allowing you to outspeed almost all grounded threats under with Sticky Webs while also providing a slow Volt Switch.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Amcheck
Blue=Add (AC=Add Comma, AH=Add Hyphen, ASC=Add Semicolon, AS=Add Space, AA=Add Apostrophe)
Red=Remove (RC= Remove Comma, RH=Remove Hyphen, RSC=Remove Semicolon, RS=Remove Space, RA=Remove Apostrophe)
Green=Comments

[SET]
move 3: Iron Head / Thunder Punch (Add Space)
item: Life Orb / Sharp Beak (Add Space)
nature: Jolly / Adamant (Add Space)

[SET DETAILS COMMENTS]

Like many Flying-type Pokemon in this generation, Hawlucha has the ability to perform a clean sweep in the right conditions with its access to Max Airstream. Its Hawlucha's STAB combination of Close Combat and Brave Bird is resisted by very few, most notably Aegislash, but it does need to be careful around opposing Dynamaxed Pokemon, as its defenses are very poor and it is unlikely to kill Dynamax Forme Pokemon them without a Swords Dance setup or prior chip damage. For example, it loses to fully defensive Dynamaxed Ferrothorn,(AC) trying to race against Max Steelspike without previous boosts or chip. Adamant natures can be used to help supplement some power to win battles versus particularly bulky physical walls (such as...?), at the cost of a bit of sSpeed.

Iron Head, in combination with the ability Mold Breaker, is designed to beat Mimikyu in particular, along with other fairies Fairy-types. With Max Steelspike, you are guaranteed a kill on all of the the KO on all non-Dynamaxed Forme Fairy-type Pokemon that aren't completely defensively invested. On Dynamax Mimikyu, wWhile you don't kill Dynamaxed Mimikyu without prior chip (such as 2 Life Orb recoils from Mimikyu attacks or Life Orb + Stealth Rocks Ddamage),(RC) you will live a Max Starfall with +1 Defense,(RC) then can gain a kill and the Speed boost and KO it while getting a Speed boost with Max Airstream right after. However, using only Max Airstream and forgoing Iron Head also does a significant amount of is still enough to damage to most fairies Fairy-types, so if you want to gain more generalized coverage, Thunder Punch is another alternative move option that gives you good coverage vs against important defensive threats, such as Corviknight and Toxapex.

Swords Dance is the go-to(AH) boosting move for Hawlucha. After a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha can one hit kill OHKO almost every non-physical wall at with neutral damage,(RC) while also potentially gaining boosts through Max Airstream and Max Knuckle. U-turn is another potential option in the can be used over Swords Dance slot that can be used to bait in counters such as Corviknight,(RC) to retain and gain momentum rather than trying to race defensive Pokemon at suboptimal times.

Teammates for Hawlucha include special wallbreakers and slow pivots such as offensive Rotom formes, Rillaboom and Toxtricity, which mitigate Hawlucha's two main weaknesses: difficulty switching in and needing while attaining chip damage/damage to on physical walls to let it sweep. Options include offensive Rotom variants, Rillaboom, or Toxtricity. Vikavolt should also be mentioned, allowing you to outspeed almost all grounded threats under with Sticky Webs while also providing a slow Volt Switch.
AM Check implemented, thank you for your feedback! This should be a breeze now for full GP!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
I don't really know why I'm prioritizing bss other than that theorymon asked me to last month but here we are with three left in the queue so might as well finish it
Add remove comments
[SET]
item: Life Orb / Sharp Beak

[SET COMMENTS]

Like many Flying-type Pokemon in this generation, Hawlucha has the ability to sweep in the right conditions with its access to Max Airstream. Hawlucha's STAB combination of Close Combat and Brave Bird is resisted by very few Pokemon, most notably Aegislash, (RC) but; (ASC) however, it does need to be careful around opposing Dynamaxed Pokemon, as its defenses are very poor and it is unlikely to kill them without a Swords Dance setup set up or prior chip damage. For example, it loses to fully defensive Dynamaxed Ferrothorn, trying to race against Max Steelspike without previous boosts or chip. An Adamant nature can be used to supplement some power to win battles versus particularly bulky physical walls like the aformentioned Ferrothorn, at the cost of some Speed.

Iron Head, in combination with Mold Breaker, is designed to beat Mimikyu in particular, along with other Fairy-types. With Max Steelspike, you are Hawlucha is guaranteed the KO on all non-Dynamaxed Fairy-type Pokemon that aren't completely defensively invested or using a Babiri Berry. While you don't it doesn't KO Dynamaxed Mimikyu without prior chip (such as 2 Life Orb recoils or Life Orb + Stealth Rock damage) you damage from Stealth Rock and Life Orb, Hawlucha will live survive a Max Starfall with a +1 Defense and KO it while getting a Speed boost with Max Airstream right after. However, using only Max Airstream and forgoing Iron Head is still enough to damage most Fairy-types, so if you want more generalized coverage, Thunder Punch is another option that gives you Hawlucha good coverage against important defensive threats, such as Corviknight and Toxapex.

Swords Dance is the go-to boosting move for Hawlucha. After a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha can OHKO almost every non-physical wall with neutral damage (very specific classification to tack an "almost every" onto. Kinda sounds like fake hyping up the mon.) most offensive foes with its wide STAB coverage while also potentially gaining boosts through Max Airstream and Max Knuckle. U-turn can be used over Swords Dance to bait in counters such as Corviknight to retain momentum, (RC) rather racing defensive Pokemon at suboptimal times (this is what retaining momentum means, yes.).

Teammates for Hawlucha include special wallbreakers and slow pivots, (AC) such as Toxtricity, offensive Rotom formes, and Rillaboom and Toxtricity, which mitigate Hawlucha's difficulty switching in while attaining chip damage on damaging physical walls, helping it sweep. (Remove double-space)It Hawlucha also pairs well with dual screens, (RC) helping Hawlucha overcome its frail bulk (frail bulk is an oxymoron) while setting to help it easily set up Swords Dance, so consider screens users setters such as Grimmsnarl, Inteleon, or and Dragapult.

GP 1/1 when implemented.
Make sure you don't doublespace after periods.

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I don't really know why I'm prioritizing bss other than that theorymon asked me to last month but here we are with three left in the queue so might as well finish it
Add remove comments
[SET]
item: Life Orb / Sharp Beak

[SET COMMENTS]

Like many Flying-type Pokemon in this generation, Hawlucha has the ability to sweep in the right conditions with its access to Max Airstream. Hawlucha's STAB combination of Close Combat and Brave Bird is resisted by very few Pokemon, most notably Aegislash, (RC) but; (ASC) however, it does need to be careful around opposing Dynamaxed Pokemon, as its defenses are very poor and it is unlikely to kill them without a Swords Dance setup set up or prior chip damage. For example, it loses to fully defensive Dynamaxed Ferrothorn, trying to race against Max Steelspike without previous boosts or chip. An Adamant nature can be used to supplement some power to win battles versus particularly bulky physical walls like the aformentioned Ferrothorn, at the cost of some Speed.

Iron Head, in combination with Mold Breaker, is designed to beat Mimikyu in particular, along with other Fairy-types. With Max Steelspike, you are Hawlucha is guaranteed the KO on all non-Dynamaxed Fairy-type Pokemon that aren't completely defensively invested or using a Babiri Berry. While you don't it doesn't KO Dynamaxed Mimikyu without prior chip (such as 2 Life Orb recoils or Life Orb + Stealth Rock damage) you damage from Stealth Rock and Life Orb, Hawlucha will live survive a Max Starfall with a +1 Defense and KO it while getting a Speed boost with Max Airstream right after. However, using only Max Airstream and forgoing Iron Head is still enough to damage most Fairy-types, so if you want more generalized coverage, Thunder Punch is another option that gives you Hawlucha good coverage against important defensive threats, such as Corviknight and Toxapex.

Swords Dance is the go-to boosting move for Hawlucha. After a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha can OHKO almost every non-physical wall with neutral damage (very specific classification to tack an "almost every" onto. Kinda sounds like fake hyping up the mon.) most offensive foes with its wide STAB coverage while also potentially gaining boosts through Max Airstream and Max Knuckle. U-turn can be used over Swords Dance to bait in counters such as Corviknight to retain momentum, (RC) rather racing defensive Pokemon at suboptimal times (this is what retaining momentum means, yes.).

Teammates for Hawlucha include special wallbreakers and slow pivots, (AC) such as Toxtricity, offensive Rotom formes, and Rillaboom and Toxtricity, which mitigate Hawlucha's difficulty switching in while attaining chip damage on damaging physical walls, helping it sweep. (Remove double-space)It Hawlucha also pairs well with dual screens, (RC) helping Hawlucha overcome its frail bulk (frail bulk is an oxymoron) while setting to help it easily set up Swords Dance, so consider screens users setters such as Grimmsnarl, Inteleon, or and Dragapult.

GP 1/1 when implemented.
Make sure you don't doublespace after periods.
Done, thanks for the GP. This is ready for upload.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Like many Flying-type Pokemon in this generation, Hawlucha has the ability to sweep in the right conditions with its access to Max Airstream. Hawlucha's STAB combination of Close Combat and Brave Bird is resisted by very few Pokemon, most notably Aegislash; however, it does need to be careful around opposing Dynamaxed Pokemon, as its defenses are very poor and it is unlikely to kill KO them without a Swords Dance set up or prior chip damage. For example, it loses to fully defensive Dynamaxed Ferrothorn, trying to race against Max Steelspike without previous boosts or chip. An Adamant nature can be used to supplement some power to win battles versus particularly bulky physical walls like the aformentioned Ferrothorn, at the cost of some Speed.

Iron Head, in combination with Mold Breaker, is designed to beat Mimikyu in particular, along with other Fairy-types. With Max Steelspike, Hawlucha is guaranteed the KO on all non-Dynamaxed Fairy-type Pokemon that aren't completely defensively invested or using a Babiri Berry. While it doesn't KO Dynamaxed Mimikyu without prior damage from Stealth Rock and Life Orb, Hawlucha will survive a Max Starfall with a +1 Defense and KO it while getting a Speed boost with Max Airstream right after. However, using only Max Airstream and forgoing Iron Head is still enough to damage most Fairy-types, so if you want more generalized coverage, Thunder Punch is another option that gives Hawlucha good coverage against important defensive threats, such as Corviknight and Toxapex.

Swords Dance is the go-to boosting move for Hawlucha. After a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha can OHKO most offensive foes with its wide STAB coverage while also potentially gaining boosts through Max Airstream and Max Knuckle. U-turn can be used over Swords Dance to bait in counters such as Corviknight to and retain momentum.

Teammates for Hawlucha include special wallbreakers and slow pivots, such as Toxtricity, offensive Rotom formes, and Rillaboom, which mitigate Hawlucha's difficulty switching in while damaging physical walls, helping it sweep. Hawlucha also pairs well with dual screens to help it easily set up Swords Dance, so consider screens setters such as Grimmsnarl, Inteleon, or and Dragapult.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Like many Flying-type Pokemon in this generation, Hawlucha has the ability to sweep in the right conditions with its access to Max Airstream. Hawlucha's STAB combination of Close Combat and Brave Bird is resisted by very few Pokemon, most notably Aegislash; however, it does need to be careful around opposing Dynamaxed Pokemon, as its defenses are very poor and it is unlikely to kill KO them without a Swords Dance set up or prior chip damage. For example, it loses to fully defensive Dynamaxed Ferrothorn, trying to race against Max Steelspike without previous boosts or chip. An Adamant nature can be used to supplement some power to win battles versus particularly bulky physical walls like the aformentioned Ferrothorn, at the cost of some Speed.

Iron Head, in combination with Mold Breaker, is designed to beat Mimikyu in particular, along with other Fairy-types. With Max Steelspike, Hawlucha is guaranteed the KO on all non-Dynamaxed Fairy-type Pokemon that aren't completely defensively invested or using a Babiri Berry. While it doesn't KO Dynamaxed Mimikyu without prior damage from Stealth Rock and Life Orb, Hawlucha will survive a Max Starfall with a +1 Defense and KO it while getting a Speed boost with Max Airstream right after. However, using only Max Airstream and forgoing Iron Head is still enough to damage most Fairy-types, so if you want more generalized coverage, Thunder Punch is another option that gives Hawlucha good coverage against important defensive threats, such as Corviknight and Toxapex.

Swords Dance is the go-to boosting move for Hawlucha. After a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha can OHKO most offensive foes with its wide STAB coverage while also potentially gaining boosts through Max Airstream and Max Knuckle. U-turn can be used over Swords Dance to bait in counters such as Corviknight to and retain momentum.

Teammates for Hawlucha include special wallbreakers and slow pivots, such as Toxtricity, offensive Rotom formes, and Rillaboom, which mitigate Hawlucha's difficulty switching in while damaging physical walls, helping it sweep. Hawlucha also pairs well with dual screens to help it easily set up Swords Dance, so consider screens setters such as Grimmsnarl, Inteleon, or and Dragapult.
Done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)