Pokémon Arctovish

Status
Not open for further replies.
1574036396481.png
Arctovish

Base Stats: 90 HP | 90 Atk | 100 Def | 80 SAtk | 90 SDef | 55 Spe

Abilities: Water Absorb | Ice Body | Slush Rush (H)

Level Up Moves:
- [01] Powder Snow
- [01] Water Gun
- [07] Protect
- [14] Icy Wind
- [21] Ancient Power
- [28] Bite
- [35] Aurora Veil
- [42] Freeze-Dry
- [49] Super Fang
- [56] Crunch
- [63] Fishious Rend
- [70] Icicle Crash
- [77] Blizzard
TMs:
- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM22] Rock Slide
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM27] Icy Wind
- [TM33] Rain Dance
- [TM35] Hail
- [TM36] Whirlpool
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM45] Dive
- [TM48] Rock Tomb
- [TM51] Icicle Spear
- [TM54] Rock Blast
- [TM55] Brine
- [TM64] Avalanche
- [TM67] Ice Fang
- [TM76] Round
TRs:
- [TM01] Body Slam
- [TM03] Hydro Pump
- [TM04] Surf
- [TM05] Ice Beam
- [TM06] Blizzard
- [TM16] Waterfall
- [TM20] Substitute
- [TM26] Endure
- [TM27] Sleep Talk
- [TM32] Crunch
- [TM46] Iron Defense
- [TM69] Zen Headbutt
- [TM74] Iron Head
- [TM75] Stone Edge
- [TM97] Psychic Fangs
- [TM98] Liquidation

Notable Moves:
- Aurora Veil
- Fishious Rend
- Icicle Crash
- Super Fang
- Freeze-Dry
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Blizzard
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Body Slam

New Move
Fishious Rend

85 BP
100% Accuracy
10 (max 16) PP

The user rends the target with its hard gills. If the user attacks before the target, the power of this move is doubled.

Pros:
- Can learn Aurora Veil
- Good physical bulk
- Currently the only Pokemon with access to both Aurora Veil and Slush Rush, since Alolan Sandslash was stopped by Galarian Border Patrol
- Can learn Fishious Rend

Cons:
- Slush Rush is currently unavailable
- Terrible defensive typing
- Low attacking stats
- Shallow movepool

Dynamaxing Potential
- Max Hailstorm sets Hail, activating Slush Rush (when/if that gets released) and allowing Arctovish to set up Aurora Veil
- Arctovish's low attacking stats, shallow movepool, and low speed without Slush Rush make it a poor candidate for Dynamaxing

Potential Movesets

Veil Setter

Arctovish @ Light Clay
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Hail
- Fishious Rend
- Super Fang / Freeze-Dry

Trick Room Attacker?
Arctovish @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fishious Rend
- Icicle Crash
- Psychic Fangs / Freeze-Dry
- Crunch

Last edited:
Any chance that a more general set is usable for this mon? Clearly the best set involves hail and Aurora veil but I wonder if this mon can do more since it has nice bulky statline and signature move.

Fishious Rend + Body Slam seems like a good start if we can figure out what matchups this thing can actually switch in on.

With Super fang and Freeze-dry could actually be a tough switch-in for the opponent.

Aside from that, Arctovish does also get whirlpool in case some hail/ice body/trapper set has some surprise use.

I think that offensively, Arctovish's best role might be on Trick Room. It's naturally slow, has (via ability) a handy Water immunity, good bulk, and under TR it still hits hard enough (same Attack as Dracovish, and even without Strong Jaw that's powerful).

Relatively untested so far, but I wanted to give the neglected Fossil some love.

Defensively, it's movepool is almost non-existent. Aurora Veil is there, but from my experience Hail is nothing special in the current meta leaving you with a situational at best defensive option. No Hazards, no Curse, Defog, Haze, Taunt, Toxic or even Scald, but goddamn if I don't love a Bulky Water so let's give it a go.

Arctovish @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Freeze-Dry / Fishious Rend
- Sleep Talk / Fishious Rend
- Rest
- Super Fang / Fishious Rend

Switches in nicely to both Dracovish and G-Darm, and also can take a +1 Power Whip from Gyarados and KO with Freeze-Dry after rocks, something the likes of Gastrodon and Seismitoad cannot. If you can get in on that Fishious Rend from a Choice locked Dracovish you've forced a switch and are free to fire off a 2x Fishious Rend of your own or a Super Fang on whatever's coming in.

Not only can it switch in on many of the tier's most prominent physical threats, it doesn't let them off lightly either. The previously mentioned, Dracovish, G-Darm* and Gyarados as well as Barraskewda, Excadrill, and Dugtrio are all within 2HKO range depending on your move choices.

*EDIT: Miscalculation on the G-Darm. 2HKO with rocks or Rain.

- Rest: This is your only real form of recovery and really there's not much else worth running on a defensive set anyway so I'd recommend this no matter what else you choose. Also allows you to laugh off Toxics and Burns from your bulky water compatriots.
- Freeze-Dry: What sets Arctovish apart from the other Bulky Waters it's competing with is it's ability to directly damage the things it's been brought in to put a stop to; Freeze-Dry is the first of these tools. Dracovish and Gyrados are OHKO's after rocks while Barraskewda is in range. Dugtrio barely scrapes out of range after rocks, but would go down attempting to come in again. If your opponent assumes you're running an offensive set or otherwise assumes a Fishious Rend is coming, Freeze-Dry takes care of Seismitoad, Gastrodon, Quagsire and Pelipper in 1-2HKOs. Specially Defensive Gastrodon can sometimes take a second but it can't really touch you so go nuts.
- Super Fang: This is basically allows you to chunk out Toxapex, Ferrothorn or Corviknight and punish whatever else may be trying to switch in on you. Unfortunately, while you can use it on Dynamax Pokemon, it only takes half of their equivalent base HP. Ghost types are also immune and there's a few decently common ones running around so that's something watch for. Arctovish loses to Jellicent and Aegislash, and stalemates with G-Corsola but if you can nail that Dragapult with a Freeze-Dry on the switch it won't be too pleased.
- Fishious Rend: It's hard to pass up on Freeze-Dry and Super Fang, but with the nature of how a wall like Arctovish can force switches, your opponent is suddenly taking a 170 base power STAB move on whatever they're bringing in. It may not be benefited by Strong Jaw but coming off a healthy 90 Base Attack not just anything will be able to come in to take that hit. This is going to be your best option for dealing with the Excadrills, G-Darmanitans, Tyranitars and Cinderaces of the world. Higher value move for Trick Room and/or Rain teams.
- Sleep Talk: Pretty typical for Rest sets. In past generations you've seen it paired with the likes of Calm Mind or Curse but no such option exists for this fish. A potentially high value move that lets you attack on average 66% of the time each turn you're asleep, Sleep Talk ideally allows you to keep the pressure on your opponent to prevent them from setting up or getting a free switch. Personally wouldn't run it without Super Fang, but to each their own. You could also pass up on this move entirely in favor of coverage and pair it with an Aromatherapy user, a Chesto Berry, or just eat the two turns of sleep.

As for the item, Leftovers are always a solid item but in my opinion Heavy-Duty Boots are too good to pass up on something that's gonna be switching in to take hits, not to mention something that's weak to Stealth Rocks. Rocky Helmet is also something worth considering.

Now for it's weaknesses. This set has a few intrinsic issues that will need to be addressed for it to be effective.

As mentioned in the first post, Water/Ice is far from a stellar defensive typing but in the current meta Electric and Fighting are the only ones you really need to cover for. Close Combat became a whole lot more accessible as well as provided a good alternative to things that were confined to Superpower. You won't always be dealing with STAB fighting moves but they're physical hits you will be unable to take. Electric is high value coverage right now and as largely if not entirely taken over Ice as the go to. Not a whole lot of Physical Electric damage going around and you'll be wanting to avoid special attackers for the most part with this set, but something to keep in mind. Aside from Sun teams, most Grass coverage I've seen has been in the form of Power Whip, but nothing that should OHKO you. Rock is in a similar spot.

As for things this set in particular doesn't like, basically everything that Jellicent... is. Taunt, Water Absorb, Ghost type, Recover. Sure it can't really kill you all that fast but it wins the 1v1 and if you're not running Freeze-Dry then you're just completely walled even if it isn't running Taunt. Keep in mind Hex will get double base power if you've put yourself to sleep with rest. The other prominent Ghosts in the tier also cause problems as I mentioned above in regards to Super Fang.

The last thing that comes to mind is Electric Terrain preventing you from healing off with Rest.

Because of how much damage a Fishious Rend can do on the switch, Hazard support is always appreciated and makes Ferrothorn a good partner. Runerigus is a less meta but very complimentary choice providing both hazards and an immunity to Fighting and Electric. It's essentially a variation of the Ferrothorn/Toxapex/G-Corsola core, but a little more aggressive. Find a suitable replacement for Ferrothorn and you've got yourself a UU defensive core as well.

Last edited:
I think the only thing this will ever accomplish is Choice Band under Trick Room. Despite having worse typing it's a bit bulkier than Dracovish and unlike it can actually break through Appleturd with its secondary STAB.

Buuuuut it doesn't get strong jaw. So... now that I think of it Dracovish is still plenty usable in Trick Room too, "under speeding" anything with 52 base speed or more. I think the only thing Arctovish "under speeds" that Dracovish wouldn't is Toxapex.

So tl;dr even as a Trick Room sweeper Dracovish is better unless you're super paranoid about Toxapex.

Arctovish @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
Brave Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Hail
- Freeze-Dry
- Sub / Protect

Been trying out this set. Has been a great pivot. Can come in on Toxapex and setup hail/aurora-veil for rest of team. Can sub if attempts to toxic as it outspeeds it. Can tank scarf gdarm but most importantly can switch in on dracovish, tank and ohko it with freeze-dry.

Rotoms, Ferro and Dragapault wreck it sadly and Corviknight can set up on you.

Not sure what to do with EV's but maxing HP/Def seems for the best. Didnt find any interesting break points on special def side.

Arctovish @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
Brave Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Hail
- Freeze-Dry
- Sub / Protect

Been trying out this set. Has been a great pivot. Can come in on Toxapex and setup hail/aurora-veil for rest of team. Can sub if attempts to toxic as it outspeeds it. Can tank scarf gdarm but most importantly can switch in on dracovish, tank and ohko it with freeze-dry.

Rotoms, Ferro and Dragapault wreck it sadly and Corviknight can set up on you.

Not sure what to do with EV's but maxing HP/Def seems for the best. Didnt find any interesting break points on special def side.
This seems to be directly outclassed by Vanilluxe, which has Snow Warning, better SpA and Speed, while maintaining access to Freeze Dry.

This seems to be directly outclassed by Vanilluxe, which has Snow Warning, better SpA and Speed, while maintaining access to Freeze Dry.
Snow Warning is very good and Vanilluxe hits harder but cannot switch on any of the physical attackers mentioned easily.

I wonder if Blunder Policy could be used to shore up speed? One miss and it's speed will go up two stages.
What are you gonna miss though? It's most inaccurate move is Blizzard at 70% which I can't imagine actually using. Its second most inaccurate move is Stone Edge, which you *might* use but even then it's only a 20% chance to miss. Personally, I would consider quick claw before blunder policy on almost anything and I also don't really want to run quick claw lol.

What are you gonna miss though? It's most inaccurate move is Blizzard at 70% which I can't imagine actually using. Its second most inaccurate move is Stone Edge, which you *might* use but even then it's only a 20% chance to miss. Personally, I would consider quick claw before blunder policy on almost anything and I also don't really want to run quick claw lol.
I guess we have to wait for Slush Rush then...

I guess we have to wait for Slush Rush then...
I agree. It's still way too slow even with a Choice Scarf, and Quick Claw is too situational to be useful. I think once HA's are released it could potentially form a decent core with Arctozolt, being able to collectively pressure Water, Fire and Rock types that would give Hail teams trouble. They'll still need some sort of backbone to take on the tier's scarfers though as most of them will outspeed at +2

Okay this is my current favourite set. The vish and vish wall killer.

Arctovish @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpA
Bold Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Protect
- Super Fang
- Fishious Rend

Has enough spatk (with this negative nature) to have a 50% chance to ohko full health, no spd investment Seismitoad and almost all other water/iceweak types. Still walls Dracovish, ohko's back. Can Super Fang/Fishious Rend switchins for a good chunk of damage. Very bulky mon overall.

Okay this is my current favourite set. The vish and vish wall killer.

Arctovish @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpA
Bold Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Protect
- Super Fang
- Fishious Rend

Has enough spatk (with this negative nature) to have a 50% chance to ohko full health, no spd investment Seismitoad and almost all other water/iceweak types. Still walls Dracovish, ohko's back. Can Super Fang/Fishious Rend switchins for a good chunk of damage. Very bulky mon overall.
Might as well run a -Speed nature then, and adjust the EVs accordingly?

EDIT: Misread, but still might as well run -Speed to maximize Fishious Rend's damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)