Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

What does Silvally tend to do in this meta; any of its forms? And does it do any Special sets?
Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Great Pivot to bring in on Gengar or Gardevoir as you musn't fear trick. Brings in Obstagoon or other heavy hitters. Neat mon.

I'm aware that Kommo-o is extremely versatile, but is he more commonly use as a physical attacker or special attacker? Or if he's used as a mixed attacker, is physically or specially oriented?

As wanted to use G-Weezing as a counter, but I don't know which spread to use

I'm aware that Kommo-o is extremely versatile, but is he more commonly use as a physical attacker or special attacker? Or if he's used as a mixed attacker, is physically or specially oriented?

As wanted to use G-Weezing as a counter, but I don't know which spread to use
Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Body Press
- Protect / Filler

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 16 Def / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clangorous Soul
- Flamethrower
- Clanging Scales
- Flash Cannon

These are the typical sets being used right now but given its versatility, it can also pull off Mixed SR sets, DD sets etc. they are just less common on ladder with how popular Clangerous is. If you do want it to be a better Kommo-o check you could run enough SpD to live +2 Flash Cannon or simply use a Babiri Berry on it. However, I would still personally run a physically defensive set as Weezing is a great check to the physical Fighting-types in the tier and can pivot into Obstagoon at least once with a max Def Bold set along with other threats. Hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Which do u think are actually the best Flying resist mons? I feel that coalossal is nice at this role, also works as hazard control with spin and I have seen some of them on ladder.
Btw, what could be a good ev spread for Coalossal?

If you do want it to be a better Kommo-o check you could run enough SpD to live +2 Flash Cannon or simply use a Babiri Berry on it. However, I would still personally run a physically defensive set as Weezing is a great check to the physical Fighting-types in the tier and can pivot into Obstagoon at least once with a max Def Bold set along with other threats. Hope this answers your question.
252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD is enough to take a +1 Flash Cannon from full health if needed, and Strange Steam does 75% at least, which is enough to KO Kommo-o after the HP lost from Clangorous Soul, while maintaining a high amount of EVs for Defense

252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD is enough to take a +1 Flash Cannon from full health if needed, and Strange Steam does 75% at least, which is enough to KO Kommo-o after the HP lost from Clangorous Soul, while maintaining a high amount of EVs for Defense
Yeah but Clangerous Soul Kommo-o can be played with the Throat Spray which means it goes at +2 in special attack. Most of Clangerous Soul Kommo-o are played on the ladder with this item.

Which do u think are actually the best Flying resist mons? I feel that coalossal is nice at this role, also works as hazard control with spin and I have seen some of them on ladder.
Btw, what could be a good ev spread for Coalossal?
I'll keep this short and just list the few Pokemon I have been using to check the tiers Flying-types, which are rather limited to Braviary, Sigilyph, Noivern, and the rare Charizard.

These are the main Pokemon I look at when I want a Flying resist (There are a few more options ofc). Personally, I think Rhyperior is one of the best Ground-types in the tier and its ability to check most of the Flying threats gives it an advantage there. I've even been using some offensive variants on HO. Lately, I have been gravitating towards Barbaracle on HO too because we have such few offensive threats that deal with them outside of Weavile and Mamoswine that fit this archetype. Rotom-C doesn't resist Flying-type STAB but it pressures them well with its Scarf sets and Noivern is forced to roost if its the main pivot.

Coalossal @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steam Engine
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heat Crash
- Stealth Rock / Spikes / rock move lol
- Rapid Spin / rock move lol
- Explosion

As for Coalossal, I am of the opinion that this is a pretty bad defensive option for most teams. It has to run Heavy-Duty Boots if it wants to keep removing hazards and checking the threats that it needs to, so I have found that it is too prone to being worn down from chip damage to warrant using it over Rhyperior for instance, who has a much better ability in Solid Rock and can carry Lefties. I am just going to link a set that Notily provided in the metagame thread. I'd agree that lead sets are probably the best bet for this Mon to have a niche, so feel free to try it out and here is a link to his thread if you wanna read up on that. Do keep in mind this is all based on my experience so take it as you will. Hope this answers your question!

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Twilight I see, the main reason why I was thinking on Coalossal whas to use Boots+Spin as u said for a team, but at the end I chossed Rhypherior (as u reccomend XD). Also I will give a try to Coperjah and Barbaracle, I saw an AV Coperjah set on this post that I wanna try on a defensive build, ty buddy :)

Hi everyone.

Can someone please give me a quick rundown on some good/relevant Pokemon and common cores? Thanks.

What do you think of the team?

I'm not very good at teambuilding and still new to competitive, but I build these team with the main idea of using Frosmoth

https://pokepast.es/88dd4e437af31f70

Which Pokemon would you add in the last slot? Would you change anything?
I'm reluctant to answer this because there are better places questions regarding teams can be asked, such as the RMT forums or the UU Discord, which has a Teambuilding channel where you can get advice on your teams. Also, UU will be going into Beta literally tomorrow, assuming everything is implemented within the day, so stuff will most likely change. To give general thoughts your team looks pretty weak to Weavile and Mamoswine so I'd recommend a bulky Water-type here like Vaporeon, Milotic, or Mantine (They also help check Clangorous Kommo-o) and if you want removal then consider changing some of your slots up. I do recommend you come join our discord if you haven't done so, to potentially get more detailed advice on this.

Hi everyone.

Can someone please give me a quick rundown on some good/relevant Pokemon and common cores? Thanks.

Just going to list some of the best Pokemon in the tier imo. The first three are what I and many members of the community would consider the most problematic aspects of UU. Kommo-o and Gengar are both extremely versatile and powerful threats in the tier while Obstagoon is probably our best wallbreaker with no real counters to Facade + Knock. Weavile is the fastest unboosted threat in the tier making it a phenomenal breaker and revenge killer. The rest have been discussed in the metagame thread so give that a read through.

(
/
)
Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 184 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Happiness: 160
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Haze
- Recover

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Yawn / Haze

This is a core I have been using a lot on most of my BO teams as of late. Noivern is what I'd consider to be the best Defog user in the tier and checks a lot of the premier Fighting-types as well as Araquanid. Rhyperior is a great Stealth Rock user that checks a lot of threats like Obstagoon, Salazzle, Noivern, Braviary, etc. Then I really like the use of a bulky Water-type to pair with them to deal with the offensive Ice-types like Mamoswine and Weavile that tear the previous members apart. I'd use Vaporeon if you really value the Wish support. I also tend to tach on Whimsicott to this core but that's my preference.

Salazzle (F) @ Life Orb / Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Rotom-Mow @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Nasty Plot
- Rest
OR
Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

This is a core I have been using and enjoyed a decent amount. These two synergize pretty well together as Salazzle's biggest problem is trying to break past some bulkier Ground- and Water-types like Milotic, Rhyperior, Pyukumuku etc. even if it can punish them with Toxic. Rotom-C is able to pivot into them and easily remove/force them out. It also provides Volt Switch momentum to bring Salazzle in safely against some of Rotom's common pivots like Whimsicott, Roserade, etc. that Lazzle takes advantage of. It's best to pair these two with something that can pivot into and revenge kill Kommo-o such as Sylveon or Silvally-Fairy, the latter making a Voltturn core with Rotom.

Sticking to my namesake with this question haha but does Goodra have any viability in UU this gen or is it doomed to the lower ranks of RU/NU like gen 7? If it does have some good use this gen what would be a good core for it to shine in?

How is everyone dealing with gengar right now? I'm having a super rough time and unless I'm missing something, with pursuit being gone and nasty plot adding an extra layer of difficulty dealing with it, 'gar seems absolutely busted.

Sticking to my namesake with this question haha but does Goodra have any viability in UU this gen or is it doomed to the lower ranks of RU/NU like gen 7? If it does have some good use this gen what would be a good core for it to shine in?
I would say Goodra isn't very viable in UU despite its surprisingly high usage within the first 12 days, which I'm pretty positive is because of people using it to check Dynamax Charizard.
| 57 | Goodra | 3.912% |
Goodra faces a lot of competition as a Dragon-type in this meta and even as a bulky SpD wall, most teams will gravitate towards Pokemon like Sylveon, Vaporeon, Mantine etc. that provide a lot more utility to teams. If this Pokemon has a niche it would probably be in its CB or Specs sets, but I do believe Goodra will most find a better spot in RU. To answer the latter part of your question anyways, consider using a Fairy-type like
for other Dragons or Mons that invite in Water- and Grass-types such as Rotom-C, Mantine, etc. Examples like
come to mind. I am generally of the opinion that if you like a Mon and want to make it work then go for it so I hope this answers your question.

How is everyone dealing with gengar right now? I'm having a super rough time and unless I'm missing something, with pursuit being gone and nasty plot adding an extra layer of difficulty dealing with it, 'gar seems absolutely busted.
Gengar is an extremely potent threat right now so you are not wrong in stating how busted it is. Gengar has a very limited amount of defensive counterplay especially with it getting Nasty Plot this gen. People have generally gravitated towards Umbreon and SpD Drapion as checks to Gengar; however, it is worth noting that Umbreon gets OHKO'd by +2 LO Focus Blast and SpD Drapion has a very high chance to just drop after SR dmg too. Other responses like Pyukumuku are solid for Balance and Bulletproof Kommo-o can check if Gengar is choice locked/not boosted, but generally, the best way to beat Gengar is playing around it offensively and using faster Pokemon like Weavile or Infiltrator Noivern for Substitute sets. Ideally, this Pokemon just rises to OU :blobshrug:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Some elements of counterplay i've been quite fond of have been bulky :drapion: Drapion on more offensive teams to help much more with +0 Gengar and Scarf/non NP sets, :pyukumuku: Pyukumuku on more Defensive teams to counter Gengar, and making sure there are other elements on the team that can revenge it etc, such as :doublade: Doublade, or a scarfer that can revenge kill it.

Other elements such as :hippowdon: Hippowdon, :umbreon: Umbreon etc can all put more pressure on Gengar in a matchup too, but its too dodgy to rely on them as your main defensive answer, as Hippowdon doesn't take +2 attacks without significant investment, and umbreon doesn't take +2 dazzling/focus blast at all well. Stacking multiple soft defensive checks with one / two Pokemon that can revenge kill Gengar should be suufficient if you keep pressure up though.

:sm/drapion:

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 76 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Is the drapion set i use, which can outspeed rotom-forms, duraludon and kommo-o for a fast taunt when necessary, and otherwise maximises special defence. Drapion doesn't need investment to KO gengar and indeedee, and can also help improve your matchup vs polteageist and a lot too. Drapion also doubles as a great Tspikes setter, and absorbing tspikes is great too. As twilight said however, this drapion set does not take +2 attacks well still, so is better for using to deal with other sets like scarf and pressuring gengar that hasn't NPd, and should never be the only answer.

:sm/pyukumuku:

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Mirror Coat
- Soak

I quite like using Mirror coat + SoakToxic on my Pyuku, which allows you to soak toxic lots of other enemy pokemon, and improve your matchup vs lucario/weavile etc with your pyuku by removing STABs, but mirror coat ensures you can still deal with substitute gengar. This is about the closest to a true counter you'll get to gengar.

Last edited:
Which pokemon would form a good defensive core with G-Weezing?

Weezing works really well with Umbreon because its biggest issue is lack of recovery and not being able to deal with strong SpA users such as Gengar for instance. In return, Weezing deals with the Fighting- and Fairy-types that threaten Umbreon. Galarian Weezing struggles to deal with Clangorous Soul Kommo-o but Umbreon deals with that while Umbreon dislikes physical/defensive Kommo-o, which Weezing can wall. Hope this helps out.

What is the main verdict when it comes to whether Torkoal or Ninetales is a better Sun setter for Sun teams?
I think in this case it really depends on the type of role you want it to fill. Ninetales by far is the better wallbreaker/offensive kin out of the two being faster, and it’s access to nasty plot letting it become a very scary breaker under the sun. Torkoal has more utility in supporting the team through rocks, potential spin, while also being able to set up sun well. Though the problem is it’s a lot more passive as compared to ninetales. So it really depends on that imo.

I personally prefer Torkoal as the lead setter, where it can set-up both Sun and Rocks, force the opposing lead out with Yawn and remove hazards with Rapid Spin

Ninetales works better as a wallbreaker utilizing Sun more for herself, since is more viable to use Heat Rock on Torkoal, while Ninetales usually uses Specs or Life Orb (But you can use HR if you prefer so)

What is G-Mimes niche over his evolution Mr Rime?
Galarian Mr.Mime's niche over Mr Rime comes from its much better Speed tier that lets it take advantage of its offensive typing better. Base 100 Speed is fairly respectable after the Dex cut. Mr Rime has additional bulk and access to Slack Off but Ice/Psychic is such a bad defensive typing that it can't perform the role of a 'bulky' spinner well. That's about the only factor as to why Mr Mime is more viable as it is still reliant on Heavy-Duty Boots just like Rime, rather than Eviolite. Hope this answers your question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)