Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

So wait a minute, does the assault vest apply before or after wonder room? (Would it boost original spd [a.k.a. current def]or current spd?)
Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. Body press uses the Defense stat and boosts (or SpD boosts under Wonder Room), but other effects still apply as if it was the Attack stat, so you'd need to use e.g. a Choice Band to boost it further.

Do we have a list of moves that Metronome can’t call in gen 8?
It seems to be based on flag 18 in the move data (scroll right). Note that snapped moves are also uncallable in general.
Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...5seF8ohDfhOiitp2q6IHXQUIc/edit#gid=1129058739
Gamefreak apparently started to mark all the new moves around the end as false.
Counter
Mimic
Metronome
Mirror Move
Transform
Struggle
Sketch
Thief
Snore
Protect
Destiny Bond
Detect
Endure
Sleep Talk
Mirror Coat
Focus Punch
Follow Me
Nature Power
Helping Hand
Trick
Assist
Snatch
Covet
Feint
Me First
Copycat
Switcheroo
Chatter
Wide Guard
Rage Powder
After You
Quick Guard
Quash
Bestow
Techno Blast
Relic Song
Secret Sword
Freeze Shock
Ice Burn
Snarl
V-create
Mat Block
Belch
Crafty Shield
King’s Shield
Diamond Storm
Steam Eruption
Hyperspace Hole
Spiky Shield
Celebrate
Hold Hands
Thousand Arrows
Thousand Waves
Light of Ruin
Origin Pulse
Precipice Blades
Dragon Ascent
Hyperspace Fury
Breakneck Blitz
Breakneck Blitz
All-Out Pummeling
All-Out Pummeling
Supersonic Skystrike
Supersonic Skystrike
Acid Downpour
Acid Downpour
Tectonic Rage
Tectonic Rage
Continental Crush
Continental Crush
Savage Spin-Out
Savage Spin-Out
Never-Ending Nightmare
Never-Ending Nightmare
Corkscrew Crash
Corkscrew Crash
Inferno Overdrive
Inferno Overdrive
Hydro Vortex
Hydro Vortex
Bloom Doom
Bloom Doom
Gigavolt Havoc
Gigavolt Havoc
Shattered Psyche
Shattered Psyche
Subzero Slammer
Subzero Slammer
Devastating Drake
Devastating Drake
Black Hole Eclipse
Black Hole Eclipse
Twinkle Tackle
Twinkle Tackle
Catastropika
Baneful Bunker
Spotlight
Instruct
Beak Blast
Sinister Arrow Raid
Malicious Moonsault
Oceanic Operetta
Guardian of Alola
Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike
Stoked Sparksurfer
Pulverizing Pancake
Extreme Evoboost
Genesis Supernova
Shell Trap
Fleur Cannon
Spectral Thief
Sunsteel Strike
Moongeist Beam
Nature’s Madness
10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt
Mind Blown
Plasma Fists
Photon Geyser
Light That Burns the Sky
Searing Sunraze Smash
Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom
Let’s Snuggle Forever
Splintered Stormshards
Clangorous Soulblaze
Zippy Zap
Splishy Splash
Floaty Fall
Pika Papow
Bouncy Bubble
Buzzy Buzz
Sizzly Slide
Glitzy Glow
Baddy Bad
Sappy Seed
Freezy Frost
Sparkly Swirl
Veevee Volley
Double Iron Bash
Max Guard
Dynamax Cannon
Max Flare
Max Flutterby
Max Lightning
Max Strike
Max Knuckle
Max Phantasm
Max Hailstorm
Max Ooze
Max Geyser
Max Airstream
Max Starfall
Max Wyrmwind
Max Mindstorm
Max Rockfall
Max Quake
Max Darkness
Max Overgrowth
Max Steelspike
Clangorous Soul
Body Press
Decorate
Drum Beating
Snap Trap
Pyro Ball
Behemoth Blade
Behemoth Bash
Aura Wheel
Breaking Swipe
Branch Poke
Overdrive
Apple Acid
Grav Apple
Spirit Break
Strange Steam
Life Dew
Obstruct
False Surrender
Meteor Assault
Eternabeam
Steel Beam

Speaking of Metronome, Bulbapedia says Snipe Shot fails when called because of targeting the self. Anyone seen it happen?

Ok, so in regards to the above stuff, here’s a list of moves that have no native learners, but CAN be called by Metronome and aren’t “snapped” according to Serebii.

-Core Enforcer
-Tail Glow
-Dragon Hammer
-Roar of Time
-Spacial Rend
-Geomancy
-Fiery Dance
-Oblivion Wing
-Magma Storm
-Aeroblast
-Shadow Force
-Shadow Bone
-Seed Flare
-Bonemerang
-Land’s Wraith
-Shore Up
-Ice Hammer
-Crush Grip
-Head Charge
-Hold Back
-Milk Drink
-Revelation Dance
-Toxic Thread
-Lunar Dance
-Heart Swap
-Mist Ball
-Luster Purge
-Psycho Boost
-Accelerock (has animation)

Other than Accelerock, these move need to be tested to see if they have animations or not. We don’t know if these moves pull a 1.1.0 Fairy Lock and crash the game with animations on or not, so do your thing, researchers!

Speaking of Metronome, Bulbapedia says Snipe Shot fails when called because of targeting the self. Anyone seen it happen?
Judging by the Instruct shenanigan a bit further back on this thread, they probably did this to prevent random self damage.
And no, I haven’t seen this happen.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Sleep Talk Snipe Shot fails in doubles, which I imagine is what Bulbapedia is referring to since it's another example of a move that calls another move. Sleep Talk Snipe Shot works just fine in singles.

I made a fatal mistake in my breeding thanks to Showdown's implemented mechanics... When a Liquid Voice Primarina with Hyper Voice Dynamaxes, it stays as Max Strike because Max Strike is not a sound move.

Meanwhile, Showdown has Hyper Voice turn into Max Geyser. (I don't use Hyper Voice itself in the replay but it's the only sound or Water move on the set)

oh no

This needs a fixin'!

I made a fatal mistake in my breeding thanks to Showdown's implemented mechanics... When a Liquid Voice Primarina with Hyper Voice Dynamaxes, it stays as Max Strike because Max Strike is not a sound move.

Meanwhile, Showdown has Hyper Voice turn into Max Geyser. (I don't use Hyper Voice itself in the replay but it's the only sound or Water move on the set)

oh no

This needs a fixin'!
Liquid Voice only affects sound based moves, making it different to Pixilate in a way. This, since Max Strike isn’t a sound move, Liquid Voice doesn’t change it to Water. However, Pixilate turns Max Strike into Max Starfall, due to Max Strike being Normal in type. However, Max Strike is always displayed on cart, as the displayed Max Move is based on he original type of the move(in this case Normal) Multi Attack and Weather Ball work similarly, displaying as Max Strike, but changing type to match the user’s held memory or the weather.

This begs a new question, however. What about other sound based moves, like Disarming Voice, Bug Buzz, Clanging Scales, Overdrive, and Snarl? Are they changed to Max Geyser, or stay as their base move?

Ok, so in regards to the above stuff, here’s a list of moves that have no native learners, but CAN be called by Metronome and aren’t “snapped” according to Serebii.

-Core Enforcer
-Tail Glow
-Dragon Hammer
-Roar of Time
-Spacial Rend
-Geomancy
-Fiery Dance
-Oblivion Wing
-Magma Storm
-Aeroblast
-Shadow Force
-Shadow Bone
-Seed Flare
-Bonemerang
-Land’s Wraith
-Shore Up
-Ice Hammer
-Crush Grip
-Head Charge
-Hold Back
-Milk Drink
-Revelation Dance
-Toxic Thread
-Lunar Dance
-Heart Swap
-Mist Ball
-Luster Purge
-Psycho Boost
-Accelerock (has animation)

Other than Accelerock, these move need to be tested to see if they have animations or not. We don’t know if these moves pull a 1.1.0 Fairy Lock and crash the game with animations on or not, so do your thing, researchers!

Judging by the Instruct shenanigan a bit further back on this thread, they probably did this to prevent random self damage.
And no, I haven’t seen this happen.
There's actually 2 sets of moves that have been removed. The more known one is where the description was changed, but there are also several moves that still have their original description but is still disabled (except for Powder (by breading), all of these moves can't be learned by any Pokémon that can be transferred). The full list is here, which happens to be nearly every move you mentioned: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-datamine-list-of-movepool-changes.3656151/post-8283722

The only move that is missing is Accelerock, so that move need to be seen if it can be called or not.

Liquid Voice only affects sound based moves, making it different to Pixilate in a way. This, since Max Strike isn’t a sound move, Liquid Voice doesn’t change it to Water. However, Pixilate turns Max Strike into Max Starfall, due to Max Strike being Normal in type.
But then again, why does Weather Ball change Max Strike into Max Geyser in the rain? I guess Weather Ball changes type before it gets changed into Max Strike, but the other type-changing effects happen afterwards or something? What happens to Silvally's Multi-Attack? If G-max Charizard uses Max Weather Ball in Sun, does it change into G-max Wildfire? If you use Electrify on G-max Toxapex does its move change into G-max Stun Shock?

But then again, why does Weather Ball change Max Strike into Max Geyser in the rain? I guess Weather Ball changes type before it gets changed into Max Strike, but the other type-changing effects happen afterwards or something? What happens to Silvally's Multi-Attack? If G-max Charizard uses Max Weather Ball in Sun, does it change into G-max Wildfire? If you use Electrify on G-max Toxapex does its move change into G-max Stun Shock?
I presume the game checks which damage type the move is going to deal before applying the appropriate Max Move.

So Liquid Voice does not work, unlike Pixilate, because no Max Move has the "sound" flag. If someone hacked the move data to turn them into sound moves, they should properly turn into Max Geyser.

About Electrify... that's a good question.

Aside from the reasonings, I'd mention this behaviour is identical to that of Z-moves. The only max move that doesnt follow same rule is Metronome, but otherwise it feels same to assume that the code is the safe.

Aside from the reasonings, I'd mention this behaviour is identical to that of Z-moves. The only max move that doesnt follow same rule is Metronome, but otherwise it feels same to assume that the code is the safe.
That's actually not quite correct. Z-Moves were not affected by passive type-changing Abilities like Pixilate, either; in the case of Max Moves, Liquid Voice still doesn't work because none of them are sound-based, but Pixilate and its ilk do. While it's dummied out and isn't actually usable, I believe we also know that Hidden Power becomes the correct Max Move and not Max Strike, which is different from Z-Moves. And beyond that, we also know from another post in this thread that Electrify turns Max Strike into Max Lightning - with Z-Moves, it would become an Electric-type Breakneck Blitz, not a Gigavolt Havoc. These are pretty minor edge cases, obviously, but I don't agree that it's "safe to assume" that the code itself is exactly the same; there aren't that many possible cases for type-changing effects like this to come up anyway, so for it to differ in three of them suggests that it was just redone entirely; what makes you think it's the same as Z-Moves at all?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Max Weather Ball from G-Max Charizard in the Sun does turn into G-Max Wildfire, and Plasma Fists from Zeraora turns Toxitricity's Max Boomburst into G-Max Stun Shock. Silvally's Multi-Attack shows Max Strike in the move selection screen, but will change to its corresponding type based on Memory upon usage of the attack. So a Psychic Memory Silvally's Max Multi-Attack will be Max Mindstorm.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
no changes in priority, draining moves stayed the same?
Magic Bounce reacts to effect of draining moves the same way?
no abilities get improved in a different way?

Does the ability Stench work and cause flinching on a Dynamax pokemon? or also effect gets blocked?

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
no changes in priority, draining moves stayed the same?
Magic Bounce reacts to effect of draining moves the same way?
no abilities get improved in a different way?

Does the ability Stench work and cause flinching on a Dynamax pokemon? or also effect gets blocked?
Teleport is -6 priority.
Magic Bounce never interacted with draining moves in the first place????
Various abilities got buffed to provide an immunity to Intimidate. If you read the OP of the thread you'd know this.

Stench works and no it won't activate on a Dynamaxed Pokemon because Dynamaxed Pokemon cannot flinch.

Read the OP.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
I generated a list of new moves/Abilities that were previously unobtainable in Pokemon Sword and Shield anywhere prior to the release of Home. Abilities were straightforward enough; for moves, I compared the differences in Pokemon that could learn the moves with !ds on a copy of Pokemon Showdown pre-Home and a copy of Pokemon Showdown post-Home, and cross-referenced it against Anubis's post and Kaphotics's list of snapped moves. There could well be things I'm missing.

New Abilities:
Friend GuardCleffa / Clefairy
AnalyticElgyem line
Flare BoostDrifloon line
TurboblazeReshiram / Kyurem-W
TeravoltZekrom / Kyurem-B
Long ReachRowlet line
Liquid VoicePopplio line
Full Metal BodySolgaleo
Shadow ShieldLunala
Prism ArmorNecrozma
Magnet PullMeltan

New Moves:
Blue FlareReshiram
Bolt StrikeZekrom
Celebratevarious
Doom DesireJirachi
Double Iron BashMelmetal
Freeze ShockKyurem-B
Fusion BoltZekrom / Kyurem-B
Fusion FlareReshiram / Kyurem-W
GlaciateKyurem
Happy Hourvarious
Heal BellCelebi by levelup, various
Hold BackCelebi, Munchlax / Snorlax
Hold HandsChariard, Pikachu, Raichu, Alolan Raichu
Ice BurnKyurem-W
Mat BlockThroh
Moongeist BeamLunala
Night DazeLunala
Photon GeyserNecrozma
Plasma FistsZeraora
Prismatic LaserNecrozma
PsystrikeMewtwo
Secret SwordKeldeo
Soft-BoiledMew / Cleffa line / Togepi line
Spectral ThiefMarshadow
Spirit ShackleDecidueye
Sunsteel StrikeSolgaleo
Vine WhipBulbasaur line

Edit: it appears that Powder is actually an unclickable move in Sword/Shield. All the other moves listed are clickable and behave like they should when used.
could some of them changed effects? Magnet pull? or others?

I asked if someone noticed something else... I red OP and only check if everything is added on it.

could some of them changed effects? Magnet pull? or others?

I asked if someone noticed something else... I red OP and only check if everything is added on it.
Those abilities and skills were tecnically already present in the game.
The only thing that changed is that they became *legally* obtainable with Home.

I have some queries re the interaction of the metronome item that boosts each conservative use of a move by 20% and Max moves:

1) Does the metronome boost apply to consecutive uses of Max moves

2) Does the "chain" of using the move carry over e.g. 3 x max rockfall, followed by a stone edge. Would the stone edge have a 60% boost or 0% boost?

Sorry I have seen conflicting answers online, does Shadow Force go through Max Guard? https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexag-1077440745

Serebii says "This move acts similar to Protect and Detect but with a few changes. It does not receive reduced damage from Max Moves but blocks them entirely. It resists moves that would bypass Protect such as Phantom Force and Shadow Force. Feint damages beyond the Max Guard but does not break the guard for future uses "

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
PS Admin
Sorry I have seen conflicting answers online, does Shadow Force go through Max Guard? https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexag-1077440745

Serebii says "This move acts similar to Protect and Detect but with a few changes. It does not receive reduced damage from Max Moves but blocks them entirely. It resists moves that would bypass Protect such as Phantom Force and Shadow Force. Feint damages beyond the Max Guard but does not break the guard for future uses "
Shadow Force is a snapped move, so it's impossible to know for sure with that, but Phantom Force does get blocked by Max Guard.

I have some queries re the interaction of the metronome item that boosts each conservative use of a move by 20% and Max moves:

1) Does the metronome boost apply to consecutive uses of Max moves

2) Does the "chain" of using the move carry over e.g. 3 x max rockfall, followed by a stone edge. Would the stone edge have a 60% boost or 0% boost?
1) Yes
2) No

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
PS Admin
Do you think it's appropriate for National Dex to mirror the Phantom Force mechanic?
Sure, they mirror the Hidden Power Max Move implementation to things like Max Weather Ball, and I would see Phantom Force and Shadow Force as essentially identical. However, I'm not a National Dex format representative, so my opinion there is fairly irrelevant. This thread is for mechanics in the actual games, not a fan-mod.

Forgive me if this has been answered. Right now I believe on Showdown if an unburden mon loses their Item, then gains an item via Thief for example, they lose the speed boost. Is this mechanic correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)