Pokémon GO

So Registeel and Cresselia are in raids for Go Battle League, which kind of sucks because I'm trying to get Thundurus. We already have Darkrai, Giratina-A, Cobalion, and Lugia every Friday to Monday, and now Registeel and Cresselia are taking some raid quotas as well. Not really sure why they did this for a first time raid.

The cynic in me thinks they also want to stall out a Community Day with Gible, since it remains so elusive people keep buying Incubators to hatch it.

I see little reason to keep going to Gen I for Community Day Pokémon, when Gen IV still misses so many and Gen V is entirely untapped. The aforementioned Gible and Shinx are the obvious candidates, but I could also see arguments for Budew, Elekid, Togepi, Happiny, Magnemite, and Magby. Even Duskull, at a stretch, but that would be more seasonal (October/November). Riolu is another one of the classic rare-as-chicken-teeth 10k egg 'mons. And then there's Gen V, where you could pick any one of the 19 three-stage lines, add Zorua and Larvesta for good measure, and still have candidates left over. All the Elemental Monkeys at once, for instance. Heck, they could have an all-Unown Community Day too, that would have been fun.

But yeah, between the Gen V starters and the remaining families of interest from Gen IV and V, there's material enough left for a couple years' worth of Community Days before Gen VI is released. In that respect, it's kinda sad they keep returning to Gen I 'mons like Rhyhorn and Abra, which have been common spawns practically since the release of the game. Proposing Community Days for Vulpix and Machop was almost insulting. But I guess locking interesting Pokémon behind the loot box mechanic makes them more money, so... *sigh*
I think it's vastly unlikely they'll do Community Days for baby Pokemon like Elekid or Happiny when they can milk them being Egg-exclusive. But I fully agree that the way they're focusing on Gen I at the moment is hugely aggravating. I was so hoping for an Axew day (alright, maybe it's too early, but a couple of months away?) The prospect of Weedle, Exeggcute, Sandshrew, Grimer, or even Gastly when we've literally just had a shiny Gengar event is downright miserable. And don't get me started on the prospect of the Kanto starters again. I'd even take Hoppip over any of those.

There are all sorts of better candidates: Duskull, Scyther, Aron, Snorunt, Buizel, Drifloon, Croagunk, Sewaddle (when it's released), Galarian Slowpoke when the evolutions are revealed. Those are just off the top of my head. But the idea of months of bottom-of-the-barrel Gen I mons truly sucks.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Odd how we're skipping straight to Genesect when we still need to see Shaymin / Manaphy / Phione from Gen 4 (and Arceus, but we all know that's probably going in Ex Raids), and things like Keldeo would make more sense to release given the rest of the quartet is out already.

Heck, one wonders how the drives will work. Another Giratina / Castform situation? lol

Genesect event has officially been announced:

A new Special Research story event is coming: A Drive to Investigate!

Trainers,
Genesect, the Paleozoic Pokémon, will be making its Pokémon GO debut in a new Special Research story event—A Drive to Investigate! Remember the mysterious weekend event that was mentioned in the March events announcement? It’ll take place alongside the Special Research story event to aid you in your journey to study the mysterious Genesect. Whether or not you have a ticket, you’ll be able to enjoy this weekend-long Genesect-themed event.

Note: Events may vary in certain areas until further notice. Players can stay tuned to our channels for updates.

A Genesect-themed weekend event

From Friday, March 20, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Monday, March 23, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time, you can look forward to the following features.
Features
  • Normal-, Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ice-type Pokémon will be appearing more often in the wild. You might see Pokémon such as Jigglypuff, Magnemite, Marill, Houndour, and Snorunt appearing more frequently in the wild.
  • Nincada will be appearing in the wild and hatching from 5 km Eggs. If you’re lucky, you might encounter or hatch a Shiny one!
  • Karrablast and Shelmet will be hatching more often from 5 km Eggs.
  • One-star to four-star Raid Battles will feature various Bug- or Steel-type Pokémon.

Bonuses
  • 2× Catch Stardust
  • 2× Hatch Stardust

A Drive to Investigate—a Special Research story event
Professor Willow has found a peculiar trail of damage that appears to have been created by a single Pokémon. The kicker? The damage seems to have been caused by attacks of a wide variety of types! Help him discover which Pokémon is behind them in this brand-new Special Research story event! This event doesn’t have a set location—if you have a ticket, you can take part wherever you can play Pokémon GO.
You can purchase a ticket to gain access to this unique limited-time experience where you’ll complete a variety of tasks to earn an encounter with a Genesect! Genesect will also appear in EX Raids starting in April.

Date + Time
  • This Special Research story event will take place on Friday, March 20, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Thursday, March 26, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. in your local time zone.

Please note: In attempt to make this Special Research story event available and playable for as many Trainers globally as possible, we have extended this event.

Features
A ticket to this Special Research story event will grant you access to a unique experience! This event comes with the opportunity to access or earn the following.
  • A new Special Research line featuring an early-access encounter with a Genesect—this is Genesect’s first appearance in Pokémon GO!
  • A Drive to Investigate medal
  • Research objectives that lead to encounters with various Bug- and Steel-type Pokémon, including Pinsir, Scizor, Skarmory, Karrablast, and Shelmet, as well as other Pokémon that appear in the story or are related to Genesect
  • Research objectives that lead to an encounter with Durant, which is typically available only in the eastern hemisphere
  • Exclusive Genesect-themed avatar items, such as a bag and a cap
  • 5 Premium Battle Passes, 3 Super Incubators, 3 Charged TMs, 3 Fast TMs, 3 Incense, 3 Star Pieces, 1 Poffin, 15 Rare Candies, and 1 Glacial Lure
  • Encounters with Scyther, Skarmory, Nincada, and Shieldon after completing exclusive Field Research tasks

Ticket details
  • To receive the A Drive to Investigate Special Research, you must open Pokémon GO during the event from Friday, March 20, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Thursday, March 26, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. in your local time zone. After you’ve collected the Special Research, you can complete it at any time.
  • The ticket is US$7.99 (or the equivalent in your local currency) and can be purchased in the shop. The ticket cannot be purchased with PokéCoins.
  • Tickets can be purchased from when they go live until Thursday, March 26, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. in your local time zone. Stay tuned for when they go live!
  • The ticket to this Special Research story event is nonrefundable. (Subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service.)

How to purchase a ticket and access the Special Research
Tickets to the Special Research story event A Drive to Investigate will be available to purchase a few days before the event.
  1. Tap the Learn More button in the shop.
  2. Tap the Buy button.
  3. You’ll then receive a pop-up indicating that you’ve received a ticket for A Drive to Investigate. After you tap OK, you can find the ticket in your Item Bag.
  4. Before the event, you’ll receive a medal. When you open the app during the event, you’ll receive access to the A Drive to Investigate Special Research.
  5. Once you receive the Special Research on March 20, 2020, you’ll be able to finish it later if you don’t complete it by the end of the event. Don’t worry, Trainers—if you’re unable to participate in this Special Research story event, you can look forward to Genesect coming to EX Raids in April!

Have questions? Please see our FAQ page on the help center for more information on this new Special Research story event.
As you head off on your adventures, remember to be respectful of your surroundings and of others nearby. Get ready for an exciting weekend, Trainers! Let’s GO!
—The Pokémon GO team
Abra community day will be postponed until further notice. Until then, certain bonuses will be in effect:

Updates to events: Abra Community Day

Trainers,
The following events have been canceled, postponed, or changed.
  • Abra Community Day: This event has been postponed.

We will also be making the following changes to Pokémon GO which are effective starting now until further notice.
  • A one-time purchase bundle of 30 Incense for 1 PokéCoin. Incense will also last for one hour.
  • 1/2 Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed into Incubators during this time period
  • PokéStops will now drop Gifts more frequently
  • Pokémon habitats will increase and more Pokémon will be appearing in the wild

Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receive push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated.
—The Pokémon GO team
Guess who just put a 10km egg in an incubator yesterday...

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
I wonder when they will reschedule this Community Day! Was really looking forward to it, especially since I screwed up the last one by not evolving my Rhydon in time..

I'm also going to leave my GO FC here, since the game demands me to add more friends. :D GO FC: 3510-3521-7944 IGN Waltorious42.

I think it's great that Niantic has come up with ways we can minimize spending time outside for the game, but with the rate of spawn increases + incense, it looks like pokeballs are gonna be a problem with a cash solution.

What happened to the Investigating Illusions Special Research that was meant to go ahead? Obviously they cancelled it, but some people got tickets... was it refunded? Postponed? Do we know anything about it?

What happened to the Investigating Illusions Special Research that was meant to go ahead? Obviously they cancelled it, but some people got tickets... was it refunded? Postponed? Do we know anything about it?
I'm guessing it's been postponed to whenever Abra Community Day is going to happen. Those tickets will probably still work then.

EDIT: Totally confused Investigating Illusions with A Drive to Investigate.

Apparently it'll happen on schedule. IIRC you just have to purchase the ticket within a certain time period, but you can complete the research at any time. Obviously if you're buying it, you'll want to complete it ASAP because the whole point is to get Genesect before those who didn't buy the ticket, so it'll really depend on how disciplined people are with "social distancing".

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Has there been an event recently focusing on two-stage Fighting-types whose names begin with M? I had a short walk the other day to get some fresh air in these stay-at-home times, and 70% of all encounters were Mankey, Makuhita, and Meditite. I also saw a few Machop, but other Pokémon were incredibly scarce.

More worryingly, I went out last evening as well and saw Koffing, Duskull, and Drifloon. Umm... Niantic might reconsider what Pokémon they let spawn during a pandemic...

Has there been an event recently focusing on two-stage Fighting-types whose names begin with M? I had a short walk the other day to get some fresh air in these stay-at-home times, and 70% of all encounters were Mankey, Makuhita, and Meditite. I also saw a few Machop, but other Pokémon were incredibly scarce.

More worryingly, I went out last evening as well and saw Koffing, Duskull, and Drifloon. Umm... Niantic might reconsider what Pokémon they let spawn during a pandemic...
It's because of the GBL being more heavily promoted lately. Fighting-types in general are more common atm. Don't know when it'll end.

Landorus has been announced!

The forces of lightning and wind call Landorus to Pokémon GO!

Trainers,
Landorus, the Abundance Pokémon, is coming to GO Battle League and five-star raids! This Ground- and Flying-type Legendary Pokémon, originally discovered in the Unova region, will be making its Pokémon GO debut.

Date + Time
From Tuesday, March 31, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, April 21, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)

Features
  • For a limited time, Landorus will be coming to the GO Battle League as rare reward encounters, starting at rank 4!
  • Landorus will make its debut in five-star raids.
Landorus is also known as the Guardian of the Fields, as it grants bountiful crops to the lands it visits. Be sure to bring Water and Ice types to challenge this Legendary Pokémon in GO Battle League and in raids!

—The Pokémon GO team

A Drive to Investigate has started in some parts of the world. Here are the quests with the rewards in parentheses:

1/5
Battle another trainer 5 times (1,000 Stardust)
Catch 25 Normal-type Pokemon (3 Rare Candy)
Give your buddy 1 treat (Trubbish encounter)
Completion reward: 5 Premium Raid Pass, Pinsir encounter, Genesect cap

2/5
Power up Pokemon 5 times (1,000 Stardust)
Catch 25 Fire-type Pokemon (3 Rare Candy)
Send 3 Gifts to friends (Karrablast encounter)
Completion reward: 3 Charged TM, Skarmory encounter, 3 Super Incubator

3/5
Transfer 3 Pokemon (1,000 Stardust)
Catch 25 Water-type Pokemon (3 Rare Candy)
Hatch an egg (Shelmet encounter)
Completion reward: 3 Incense, Scizor encounter, Genesect backpack

4/5
Make 3 Great Throws in a row (1,000 Stardust)
Catch 25 Electric-type Pokemon (3 Rare Candy)
Play with your buddy (Kabuto encounter)
Completion reward: 3 Fast TM, Genesect encounter, 1 Glacial Lure Module

5/5
Battle a Team Leader 3 times (1,000 Stardust)
Catch 25 Ice-type Pokemon (3 Rare Candy)
Take 3 Snapshots of Genesect (Durant encounter)
Completion reward: 1 Poffin, 10 Genesect candy, 3 Star Piece

While I appreciate them not making raids and visiting a new Poke Stop any of the tasks, 25 of each type seems a bit much when we're all supposed to stay at home as much as possible during these times.

For christ's sake. I haven't been able to get a Thundurus off of the GBL and raids have been dead this month for obvious reasons. I've barely even seen Thundurus on top of gyms what with all the extra bosses lately.
I have at least snagged two Thundurus and a Cobalion from it, but of course once you're at Rank7+, it's really difficult to get that unless you shed a Raid Pass (and even then you still need to at least win twice), nevermind that being a chance to get what you want.

Raiding outside is clearly not an option during this crisis.

I'm not entirely sure Niantic thought the Genesect event through. Even though they did say it can be done without group play, it doesn't really make any sense to have to catch 25 Pokemon of a specific type at each stage of the event. That's 125 Poke Balls, plus the encounter rewards that each stage gives, for a total of 134 Poke Balls assuming a 100% catch rate. And if you use your Incense, you're probably going to want to catch every Pokemon that pops up, including those that aren't the right typing. Depending on your luck, you can easily use 500-600 Poke Balls for this event.

I have at least snagged two Thundurus and a Cobalion from it, but of course once you're at Rank7+, it's really difficult to get that unless you shed a Raid Pass (and even then you still need to at least win twice), nevermind that being a chance to get what you want.

Raiding outside is clearly not an option during this crisis.
I live in London and had to pass through central yesterday (unavoidably, or I wouldn't have done so) but I figured it was worth a shot seeing if anyone was raiding. There was a gym fairly near to Blackfriars station that had a level 5 egg about to hatch, so I got off and went over - not a soul. Even if people don't show up in person, spoofers usually turn up (especially on ex raid gyms) but there's an ER Gym about 5 minutes from my house and it was the same story last night; not a single person.

Yep, I've been struggling to get 4 consistent wins on GBL and the few times I have I've ended up getting shite like Skarmory. Really annoyed they're going ahead with Landorus. I know a fair few other people who haven't managed to get Thundurus either. Cobalion, I'm not bothered by since I got three when it was last here, but I just want the dex entry for Thundurus if nothing else.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Aww, crud, "battle another Trainer 5 times". I'm still stuck on that crap from the Team Rocket quest, because I can't be bothered to organize PvP with other players. I hope you can at least finish that thing using the Battle League.

Aww, crud, "battle another Trainer 5 times". I'm still stuck on that crap from the Team Rocket quest, because I can't be bothered to organize PvP with other players. I hope you can at least finish that thing using the Battle League.
It should. GBL matches should count toward it. If it is in the Rocket quest then definitely as I have done it with GBL myself.

Yet I'm stuck. I can't find Giovanni during this crisis, I don't dare even stepping out (mama's also here and she'll scold me if I try).
Oh well, Entei is worthless anyway, I think I can try getting 2 Latias and Latios in future Boss hunt instead.

I think the Rocket stuff is 3 win vs another trainer. I'm glad I finished Entei within the first week of March, but I'm definitely hoping they make it less tedious for the future. I actually made an account on my old phone so I can battle myself for any of those "battle another trainer" quests.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I am sick of the GBL saying I have a weak connection, and literally not allowing me to do anything but shield. I can not quick attack, use a charged attack, or switch, it says “Weak Connection”, even though I’m on my home wifi.

I don’t understand why they can charge you to use a premium raid pass for premium league battles but then cause an auto loss because of a connection which doesn’t factor in a strong home WiFi signal.

I.e. losing 4 / 5 or 5 / 5 battles which prevents you from catching Metagross if you win at least 2.

It’s insane.

Also, for Giovanni, so you only get to beat him once? Correct?

That means we should save shadow for Rayquaza, or Kyogre, or Kyurem?

I am sick of the GBL saying I have a weak connection, and literally not allowing me to do anything but shield. I can not quick attack, use a charged attack, or switch, it says “Weak Connection”, even though I’m on my home wifi.

I don’t understand why they can charge you to use a premium raid pass for premium league battles but then cause an auto loss because of a connection which doesn’t factor in a strong home WiFi signal.

I.e. losing 4 / 5 or 5 / 5 battles which prevents you from catching Metagross if you win at least 2.

It’s insane.

Also, for Giovanni, so you only get to beat him once? Correct?

That means we should save shadow for Rayquaza, or Kyogre, or Kyurem?
No, you can beat him once a month, for each event. I've got all three birds and the two beasts released so far from him.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)