Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Is there any way to check Calm Mind / Shift Gear or Iron Defense Magearna without using Haze Pex? I keep getting into situations in matches late game where because I don't know the exact Magearna set until it starts boosting, I either just can't break it, or it has the right coverage to break my team but I don't know what I need to preserve ahead of time.

Will dragapult's dragon dance set increase in viability now that chansey is here to wall special attackers to hell and back? Or will its other sets continue to be better in the metagame??

Two drunk guys start a discussion of Prankster Klefki vs Prankster Grimmsnarl, who do you support?
If we're talking competitive impact across all generations, Klefki for banning a whole move. If we're talking current time, Grimmsnarl gets a pass for being good beyond pure support.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Question 2: what move is better on alolan marowak:
Bonemerang or Earthquake??
While Bonemerang is not weakened by grassy terrain and has the multi-hit perks of getting past Substitute and Focus Sash users, its inaccuracy can come back to bite you. I'd say if you have Rillaboom on your team use Bonemerang, but otherwise it's not that clear-cut. In the end I'd give the edge to Earthquake because a miss on Toxapex can be very punishing (you really don't want to take a Knock Off for instance).

Is there any way to check Calm Mind / Shift Gear or Iron Defense Magearna without using Haze Pex? I keep getting into situations in matches late game where because I don't know the exact Magearna set until it starts boosting, I either just can't break it, or it has the right coverage to break my team but I don't know what I need to preserve ahead of time.

Haze/ferrothorn with seeds if it doesnt have aura sphere or unaware quagsire but stored power will still get real powerful even though stats are ignored.

If we're talking competitive impact across all generations, Klefki for banning a whole move. If we're talking current time, Grimmsnarl gets a pass for being good beyond pure support.

what move got banned? Thing I like about better about klefki is that it can set up screens and spike so something with focus sash doesnt stop a sweep. I always like to have an attack on both just to hit something if needed.

what move got banned?
Swagger was banned in Generation VI as a result of Klefki's combination of Prankster Thunder Wave, Swagger and Foul Play, giving opponents very little control or chance to fight back when successful and relying mostly on luck to do heavy damage without taking a hit.
It was unbanned when Generation VII made both Swagger and Thunder Wave less reliable (it's now more likely for a confused Pokémon to snap out of confusion without hitting itself once than it is for it to hurt itself in confusion during that time, and Thunder Wave is no longer 100% accurate), making Klefki's shenanigans no longer as favorable or rewarding for the player using it.
Klefki can still be useful as a support Pokémon for its access to screens, Spikes and Foul Play, but that specific strategy is what was banned for being uncompetitive, and it's no longer an issue. C:

what speed does iron defense magnezone run?

has side shell arm been implemented properly, and if not when will it be?

thnx in advance

thnx in advance
Haven't gotten the time to play this post-DLC metagame so not gonna comment on the first one (that is, unless someone else snipes me for the answers)

However, we don't really know when Side Shell Arm will be implemented correctly. We do know for sure that it's not correctly implemented as of now (to my knowledge, don't laugh at me if I get it wrong)

Does anyone know if it's possible to run sand rush dracozolt on showdown? I'm in a draft league and considering drafting it but I can't seem to get the abilities to work on showdown even though from what I've seen, it's possible to do over wifi.

Does anyone know if it's possible to run sand rush dracozolt on showdown? I'm in a draft league and considering drafting it but I can't seem to get the abilities to work on showdown even though from what I've seen, it's possible to do over wifi.
No, it's currently illegal. Sand Rush Dracozolt is not compatible as of now.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
What is the reason behind Mandibuzz’s rise to become the best Flying-type in the tier?
It's a good check to a lot of the new threats, including (non-Dazzling Gleam) Alakazam and Volcarona if it carries Brave Bird, while it can also come in on and threaten Marowak using Poltergeist and Urshifu using Wicked Blow. Additionally, it walls most Tangrowth and Amoonguss sets thanks to Overcoat. With Corviknight falling off Mandibuzz is now the prime Defogger in the tier.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here it goes: What would fit well with volcarona in a HA team?
If you mean Hyper Offense, some great partners would be other setup sweepers such as Belly Drum Azumarill, Magearna sets such as Shift Gear, Bisharp (To deter your opponent from defogging your screens/hazards), or other mons that appreciate Volc's ability to handle stuff like Tangrowth (ex. Urshifu-R).

If you mean Hyper Offense, some great partners would be other setup sweepers such as Belly Drum Azumarill, Magearna sets such as Shift Gear, Bisharp (To deter your opponent from defogging your screens/hazards), or other mons that appreciate Volc's ability to handle stuff like Tangrowth (ex. Urshifu-R).
allright, thanks a bunch :)

IIRC I have heard people talk about Knock Off Zam before, and I was interested in using it. I suppose it is used to lure in checks/countetmrs and cripple them, but I dunno what spread/item/other moves people are running on that. Can someone pls pass\link a nice set 4 me, would be appreciated.

PS shout-out Finch, hope your subs will skyrocket even more soon!

IIRC I have heard people talk about Knock Off Zam before, and I was interested in using it. I suppose it is used to lure in checks/countetmrs and cripple them, but I dunno what spread/item/other moves people are running on that. Can someone pls pass\link a nice set 4 me, would be appreciated.

PS shout-out Finch, hope your subs will skyrocket even more soon!
Knock Off Alakazam is used for removing items on Pokemon efficiently, such as Eviolite Chansey and other common items found on Pokemon such as Leftovers, and can be very helpful in situations for teams that don't contain it - however, it should only be used on Focus Sash variants of Alakazam and not the usual Nasty Plot set that's been seeing usage recently, as it has trouble fitting on its moveset.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off

This is your typical set for Knock Off Alakazam, a decently strong and fast revenge killer that can potentially 2HKO Chansey and Corviknight while being able to live off a hard-hitting attack with Focus Sash and be granted an immunity to hazards and other chip damage. Side note: You lose out on dealing with Mandibuzz effectively without Dazzling Gleam.

252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 178-211 (25.3 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Chansey: 267-315 (37.9 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (without Eviolite)
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 153-181 (38.2 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (this does the same damage without Leftovers, but can be counted as a 2HKO because of the chip that Knock Off can deal to Corviknight.)

Knock Off Alakazam is used for removing items on Pokemon efficiently, such as Eviolite Chansey and other common items found on Pokemon such as Leftovers, and can be very helpful in situations for teams that don't contain it - however, it should only be used on Focus Sash variants of Alakazam and not the usual Nasty Plot set that's been seeing usage recently, as it has trouble fitting on its moveset.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off

This is your typical set for Knock Off Alakazam, a decently strong and fast revenge killer that can potentially 2HKO Chansey and Corviknight while being able to live off a hard-hitting attack with Focus Sash and be granted an immunity to hazards and other chip damage. Side note: You lose out on dealing with Mandibuzz effectively without Dazzling Gleam.

252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 178-211 (25.3 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Chansey: 267-315 (37.9 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (without Eviolite)
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 153-181 (38.2 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (this does the same damage without Leftovers, but can be counted as a 2HKO because of the chip that Knock Off can deal to Corviknight.)
To add onto this, Knock Off is still very helpful against Mandibuzz. Not because it allows Alakazam to KO Mandibuzz (duh), but because removing Heavy-Duty Boots means it has a lot more trouble Defogging reliably.

thnx in advance
Magnezone @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Def / 88 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Substitute / Magnet Rise
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt

As garatoi explained in the Magnezone thread, "60 EV in Speed allow Magnezone to outspeed Uninvested Corviknight, and at least doing 53% (full Spe Def Corviknight) to him before he U-turn out. With 88 EV in SpA, Magnezone will almost always 2OHKO full spe def Corviknight (98,4%) and always OHKO Skarmory"; "with the EVs repartition (108 HP / 252 Def) magnezone always stay behind clone at +2 def on Ferrothorn's Body Press".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)