Generational Breakdown of Regional Pokedexes

oh wow look at that gen 1 has both the largest percentage and raw number of Pokémon in the game who could have predicted this

I think the discussion on the large amount of Gen 5 Pokémon in SwSh misses one major point: the 400 (435?) Pokémon present in SwSh's coding were quite clearly never intended to be the full available roster given our DLC updates. It's very likely that aside from a few prerequisite important Pokémon like Lucario and Eevee and Mewtwo, they filled SwSh's Pokédex with a lot of Pokémon that aren't necessarily disliked, but are a bit more obscure among the rest and aren't as popular so they can save big hitters like Lycanroc, Zubat, Nidoking and Volcarona for the DLC updates so that it feels like a bigger deal.

Gen 5's extremely large amount of Pokémon would definitely fit into this category due to having both introduced a lot and being in that awkward spot of not being recent enough to be relevant nor early enough to be nostalgic for a lot of people. It's hardly like what I'm describing applies to the Gen 5 selection in the game, either -- when you're thinking about Gen 4 Pokémon, are Cherrim and Shellos some of the first that spring to mind? Heliolisk and Barbaracle of Gen 6? Hitmonchan, Remoraid, Lunatone, Torkoal, Qwilfish; in so, so many places it feels like Game Freak went out of their way to choose some of the most random, least recognisable Pokémon for base game. Indeed, a very large percentage of them have either rarely appeared in past regional dexes beyond their own gen or hadn't pulled in a second appearance at all until SwSh.

I'm actually happy with this, mind. It means that until we get the full dex back, we have a very interesting and unique selection of Pokémon; and even in the in-game itself it kind of forced you to think about using Pokémon you usually wouldn't or had barely heard of or remembered before -- getting flashbacks to Colosseum, here. My point is simply that I think it's a mistake to look at not just the large majority of Gen 5 Pokémon but also many of the obscure picks as a strange enigma, rather than deliberate marketing decisions in light of the DLC and updates.

I get what you mean but I'll be pedantic and point out that discounting foreign pokemon, gen 1 is equal with gen 5 in the totals for gen 8.

I'd love to see the reverse- Pokémon that *didn't* make it in and the distribution thereof. Expecting a lot of Johto and Sinnoh.
From what I’ve seen, it’s actually Hoenn that’s worst off. It got a bit of a boost in CT - all its starters! - but the amount of gen 3 Pokémon not in the game outweighs all other gens.

On the flipside, Gen 7 now has extremely few Pokémon left to port in; mostly relegated to form gimmick ‘mon and strangely its early route stuff.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
It's been confusing me - of all the Pokemon not in any Dex but still available in-game (Mew, Jirachi, Rowlet, Treecko and the like) why do only some of them get Dex entries while others don't? Is there any kind of rationale as to why they bothered for some and not for the rest?

It's been confusing me - of all the Pokemon not in any Dex but still available in-game (Mew, Jirachi, Rowlet, Treecko and the like) why do only some of them get Dex entries while others don't? Is there any kind of rationale as to why they bothered for some and not for the rest?
I believe the only ones not getting dex entries are the Mythicals, since they're likely meant to be available as event pokemon so not "catchable".

With Tundra, I honestly assume it was not wanting the dex to have like 40 pokemon only available through the Adventures in the Crown Tundra pokedex. Since the Hoenn starters are in that camp, they also don't get to be in it, i guess?

But it is far more curious that Keldeo, Regigigas and the Cosmog line are left out of it considering they're all available out of the dens. Likewise with the Alolan starters in the Armor dex. The Alolan starters, Keldeo & the cosmog line already have entries sitting there, unused, from when SWSH launched last year.

I believe the only ones not getting dex entries are the Mythicals, since they're likely meant to be available as event pokemon so not "catchable".
If you're just literally talking about having a dex entry, even if they don't go into a dex, the only ones like that are the base game 35 foreign Pokemon. Magearna, all the Adventures pokemon (unless they already had one) & Regigigas didn't get anything new written for them.

It's very odd, and makes the base game foreign Pokemon stand out all the more.

As a refresher, these were the 35 base game foregin pokemon. All of these, except for the Kanto starters, have brand new dex entries. I've bolded the ones that got used. Anyone that was (1) newly added but (2) not in the Armor/Tundra dex didn't get any entries (new or reused)
  1. Bulbasaur (reused old entries)
  2. Ivysaur (reused old entries)
  3. Venusaur (reused old entries)
  4. Squirtle (reused old entries)
  5. Wartortle (reused old entries)
  6. Blastoise (reused old entries)
  7. Mewtwo
  8. Mew
  9. Celebi
  10. Jirachi
  11. Cobalion
  12. Terrakion
  13. Virizion
  14. Reshiram
  15. Zekrom
  16. Kyurem
  17. Keldeo
  18. Rowlet
  19. Dartrix
  20. Decidueye
  21. Litten
  22. Torracat
  23. Incineroar
  24. Popplio
  25. Brionne
  26. Primarina
  27. Cosmog
  28. Cosmoem
  29. Solgaleo
  30. Lunala
  31. Necrozma
  32. Marshadow
  33. Zeraora
  34. Meltan
  35. Melmetal

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I get what you mean but I'll be pedantic and point out that discounting foreign pokemon, gen 1 is equal with gen 5 in the totals for gen 8.
If you were to count Pokémon that belong to Gen I evolution lines, and regional forms, I presume Gen I would have substantially larger representation than the other generations. That's partially due to Gens II and IV having a substantial focus on bringing new updates to old evolution lines, primarily from Gen I.

If you were to count Pokémon that belong to Gen I evolution lines, and regional forms, I presume Gen I would have substantially larger representation than the other generations. That's partially due to Gens II and IV having a substantial focus on bringing new updates to old evolution lines, primarily from Gen I.
Look it's frustrating when other lines only get in because of their connection to gen 1 (see also: crown tundra introduced 4 gen 2 pokemon [with dex entries] all from gen 1 lines) but gen 1 has enough representation that I'm not about to double count alolan/galarian forms (also g-maxes, i suppose) or go "actually electivire is a gen 1 pokemon for all intents and purposes."
Gen 5 is equal to gen 1 in the final count and I'm taking that to the bank as an interesting end point. We don't need to twist ourselves into knots here about taking gen 1 from second most to The Most, Always and getting even madder about it. Don't see anyone doing that in gen 6 or 7, because it's just not needed! Gen 1's lions share of their pokedexes are self evident.

This is also why I'm not doing another of those counts to see how much cross-gen connections there are after all the dlc. I don't want to get obsessive about it!

Last edited:
With Tundra, I honestly assume it was not wanting the dex to have like 40 pokemon only available through the Adventures in the Crown Tundra pokedex. Since the Hoenn starters are in that camp, they also don't get to be in it, i guess?

But it is far more curious that Keldeo, Regigigas and the Cosmog line are left out of it considering they're all available out of the dens. Likewise with the Alolan starters in the Armor dex. The Alolan starters, Keldeo & the cosmog line already have entries sitting there, unused, from when SWSH launched last year.

If you're just literally talking about having a dex entry, even if they don't go into a dex, the only ones like that are the base game 35 foreign Pokemon. Magearna, all the Adventures pokemon (unless they already had one) & Regigigas didn't get anything new written for them.

It's very odd, and makes the base game foreign Pokemon stand out all the more.

As a refresher, these were the 35 base game foregin pokemon. All of these, except for the Kanto starters, have brand new dex entries. I've bolded the ones that got used. <snip>
Just a minor note, I noticed this morning that the new swsh dex entrees of the original foreign mons are actually viewable in HOME (at the least the mobile version). I could swear they were not viewable before, so this presumably occurred with the most recent update, though maybe it happened with the IoA update and I just never noticed.

Just a minor note, I noticed this morning that the new swsh dex entrees of the original foreign mons are actually viewable in HOME (at the least the mobile version). I could swear they were not viewable before, so this presumably occurred with the most recent update, though maybe it happened with the IoA update and I just never noticed.
Yeah I believe this is new? I'm pretty sure these weren't implemented in the IoA update at least (outside of the kanto starters)

Well at least they get used somewhere

Credit to these statistics goes to Merritt. He initially showed these on Discord and I took a photo to share here.

IMG_0924.jpeg

So to no one's surprise, Kanto got a big slice of pie. Interestingly enough though, Unova has the most representation. They really went all out on Unova in SwSh, probably because of James Turner's role as the art director. Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Johto have the least amount of representation, with Hoenn having the most out off all of them, while Johto has the least.

Here are the percentage of the missing Pokemon: 22.5% for Kanto, 44% for Johto, 35.5% for Hoenn, 36.44% for Sinnoh, 19.2% for Unova, 27.7% for Kalos, and for Alola, its 12.5%.

So the games with the most Pokemon in the end were Gens 1, 5 and 7. Though it is worth noting in the case of Gen 7, it has a significantly smaller amount of Pokemon compared to Gens 1 and 5, so its not exactly a fair comparison. The losers are Gens 4,3, and 2. Eeesh. Johto Pokemon can never get the spotlight can they?

I have some further comments, but that's enough for one day. Here's a list of unobtainable Pokemon from Serebii for Reference: https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/unobtainable.shtml

Oh hey you did most of the statistics so I dont have to! I was actually mulling doing a breakdown of that here just so it was all in one place.

Though if someone wanted hard numbers isntead of %s:
Gen 1: 34
Gen 2: 44
Gen 3: 49
Gen 4: 44
Gen 5: 31
Gen 6: 21
Gen 7: 11

Something I found interesting is of the pokemon that didn't return they seemed to try and avoid the like really early game suspects. Like obviously stuff like the nidos and shinx got in but I'm looking more at
Kanto: Pidgey line, Weedle line, Rattata line, Spearow line
Johto: Sentret line, Ledyba line, Spinarak line, Mareep line
Hoenn: Poochyena line, Wurmple line, Taillow line, Surskit line
Sinnoh: Bidoof line, Starly line, Kricketot line

Kalso & Alola are fun because for Kalso all of them except Hoopa are from the route up to just outside Lumiose and for Alola 8 of its 11 missing pokemon are entirely from the first island routes (Pikipek line, Yungoos line, Crabrawler line, Oricorio)

I took a look and decided to comment on the missing Pokemon from Sword and Shield:

• Odd that the Butterfree line was part of SwSh but the Beedrill line was not. They are counterparts since RB, and have been available with one usually being more common or being exclusive to one version. Its not the first this happened though, Beedrill was not part of the Alola Pokedex, but Butterfree was, though Beedrill could be obtained through Island Scan in USM.
  • Venonat and Venomoth are the only Kanto Pokemon that have been not part of any Pokedex since Johto, which includes all the Kanto Pokemon.
  • The Grimer and Rattatta are the only lines with Alolan forms that are not available in SwSh. I think its odd for the Grimer line, since Grimer had a pretty hilarious role in the anime as well as Alolan Muk being very useful in competitive battling thanks to amazing defensive typing and bulk being godly to check Fairy, Ghost, and Psychic types primarily.
  • The Mareep line being not included is surprising since they are probably one of the most popular Gen 2 Pokemon. When GS came out, it feels like everyone had a Mareep on their team; not to mention Ampharos had an important role as Amphy in those games as well.
  • Will they give Unown a moveset now that Hidden Power is gone assuming it returns in a future title?
  • I was expecting the Houndour line to return in SwSh because their counterpart, the Electrike line was in SwSh and the lines have been used as counterparts in the recent titles of XY and USM.
  • Pretty sure Stantler is the only Johto Pokemon other than Legendaries/Mythicals that has been part of any regional Pokedex since its debut gen. Could have been funny to bring it back since there was that Stantler meme during the Year of the Pokemon voting.
  • Kind of see why Smeargle did not make the cut. There was movexit this generation means that Smeargle could come over with any the removed moves and it would probably cause an inconvenience if a player had to delete all the moves.
  • In contrast to the Glameow line, the Skitty line has been in a lot of games, notably being part of the 3 regional dexes, and being available in every generation until SM. Odd considering that Delcatty arguably is one of the worst Pokemon in the game, at least Purugly as a relatively useful Speed Stat.
  • Odd that the Sinnoh Fossils were the only ones not to be brought back in Crown Tundra, but all of the other fossils were. What could this mean?
  • I'm still sad that the Glameow line has only appeared in 4 Core RPGs. Isn't it weird that the creators of the universe are more common than a domestic feline?
  • The Burmy line, aside from Gen 4 have not appeared in any game since then other XY. They are also the only Pokemon whose HA is discontinued, the only way to obtain Burmy with HA is from the DreamWorld, which has been shut down.
  • Strange that Sinnoh is the only region without any of its mythical Pokemon in SwSh. All the other generations have 1 mythical Pokemon in the game.
  • The Ducklett line is a missed opportunity. Swans are the National animals of the UK, and it’s against the law to hunt certain specimens that belong to the Queen. I’m guessing it’s because there was already 4 Water/Flying types, but the Mantine line could have been dropped, since there were no accessible seas prior to the Isle of Armor.
  • Fun fact: While Deerling itself was catchable in Gen 6, only the Spring form was obtainable, meaning the other forms of Deerling are unavailable since BW2; Deerling can’t change form at all post Gen 5 due to the abandonment of seasons.
  • I find it very strange that Greninja was not part of SwSh at all. The polls point it at the #1 most popular Pokémon of all time, beating titans like Charizard and Gengar in that poll. It’s easy marketing opportunity not seized.
  • And when you thought that Glameow had rough representation, the Skiddo line has it worse. Literally no game other than XY in 2013. This line has to be one of the rarest not including mythical Pokemon.
  • Odd that the Bruxish line is not in SwSh at all. All the Pokémon James Turner designed are in SwSh, and while Turner didn’t design Bruxish, he finished the design for the original designer.

Like previously mentioned it seems that the majority of Pokémon not returning are subjectively ‘ trash mons’. Which does strike up a concern, looking at Crown Tundra’s returning Pokémon. This might be an unpopular opinion but looking at Crown Tundra’s returning Pokémon, I wasn’t too happy at the confirmed Pokémon. Don’t get me wrong, I was happy to see the likes of Dratini, Amaura, and Garchomp again. My issue is that the bulk of these Pokémon are in special categories like: Legendaries, Psuedo-Legendaries, Fossils and Starters. Notably, all the Legendary and Psuedo-Legendaries are in the game as of the Crown Tundra DLC. In contrast, Pokémon that are not part of any category make up 23 out of roughly 100 Pokémon added, orapproximately 1/5. My concern is that Pokémon ( specifically Legendaries since they are deemed to be an important part or VGC these days ) part of categories, or Pokémon who are the favorites of the GF staff, will be given priority for the Pokedex before other Pokémon; meaning that Pokémon like Glameow and Skiddo might have to wait generations before they get added again, because you know, gotta give Charizard its 4th super form before we could add Typhlosion to the game if Dexit continues to be the Norm.

It really is absolutely wild to me that Glameow has missed this many boats. Skiddo (& Burmy, at this point) are in similar positions as you've lined out but it still feels more striking than Glameow to me.
It just feels like it'd be super easy to put into a dex as counterparts to various pokemon. Least of all its original counterpart, Stunky.

I'm still kind of curious if they're just going to wait until the next game (regardless of what it is) to do the next/final batch of pokemon or if they might have more free updates over the next year. Maybe plop them in event raids? I've said before, but it'd be a novel way to care about some of these trash pokemon. and another way to screw over glameow

Every single starter - and, of course, especially Greninja - stick out the most to me as extremely strange and evidence that they're going to bring more back in some way this gen. You don't just cut back to 2/3 of your roster and cut a large amount of your most popular, recognisable and marketable characters.

While I am mostly on board with the still-missing mons making it back into to SwSh in some way before the end of the generation, I would actually be perfectly content if Hypno not only didn't make it, but also never appeared in another piece of Pokemon media ever again.
Why not?

• The Grimer and Rattatta are the only lines with Alolan forms that are not available in SwSh. I think its odd for the Grimer line, since Grimer had a pretty hilarious role in the anime as well as Alolan Muk being very useful in competitive battling thanks to amazing defensive typing and bulk being godly to check Fairy, Ghost, and Psychic types primarily.
Geodude

I really wanted to make a longer post with some thoughts on all regional dexes (and some other things that are similar to this subject). I said I would make another post here back in January, but I just never got around to it until now. Better late than never, right?

First, some (very late) replies.
And continued thanks for the corrections. The UBs in particular escaped my mind.
I think Vanillish keeps getting in at least partially because it's a 3 stage ice line which is fairly rare in this series. There's only Mamoswine & Walrein and one of those is more water friendly (not that this stops Vanilluxe from floating over the galar lakes, i suppose). If vanillite was only a 2 stage line while, say, cubchoo was a 3 stage line I think we'd see similar things happen: Vanillite isnt used as much but Cubchoo is in just about every game going forward.

At the very least outside of SWSH he's actualy not super important in gamefreak. He's primarily a graphic designer originally brought on for cutscenes and then also tapped for pokemon designs (like most of the staff); his role in SWSH is his most important one as Art Designer for the entire game (one I'm curious if he retains for Armor & Crown, which are going for different aesthetics) but I'd imagine he doesn't have much say in game balance.

In theory, anyway. Perhaps it is him just going "hey....please put....my babibes in........" into everyone's ears and I'm giving more benefit of the doubt to the nepotism theories than I should. Full disclosure those theories always kind of bug me because it focuses so much on Turner who has designed some "controversial" pokemon and he's (I think, somehow?) the only westerner at gamefreak, but we don't shine similar lights on the other designers because we don't get to know them as much and their pokemon in theory don't get feathers ruffelled. So I might be projecting a little.
That makes sense. It explains why the Vanillite line has been in so many games.

And that makes sense as well. It also sort of explains why most of the Pokémon Turner designed has been in the majority of all new games since Gen 5.
Yeah it's probably the most even. Only a 9 pokemon swing between lowest & highest, they definitely tried an even hand. I think gen 5 having a lot of "repalcements" helped keep Kanto low, but I haven't directly compared the lists beyond counting them out.
Time for another correction as the actual difference between the highest and lowest is 11 and not 9. Still a low swing though. And I agree, the B2/W2 Dex had really great balance; roughly half the Dex consists of the Unova Pokémon while the four older regions each got a very fair share of the remaining half.
Another fun contrast: Unown
Gen 2 introduced, in all games
Missed RSE
Post game with dedicated islands and 2 new forms in FRLG
Part of sinnoh dex in DPPt
Returns in HGSS
Not in Gen 5 at all, not even by Dream World. Shares this distinction with Pikachu's family
Missed XY
ORAS as mirage spots.
Not in Gen 7 but fwiw the GSC VC titles were released?
Not in Gen 8. And hidden power was removed....for now.

Its kind of crazy Unown came back for a regional dex at all tbh. I wonder id Ball seals spurred that on?
Yeah, Unown is interesting. Looking back, it is fascinating how it was in the Sinnoh Dex and even got an area entirely for itself in Sinnoh. Speaking of which, now that I look at it, I suppose Unown is a bit unique in that regard. When it appears, you can only find Unown and no other Pokémon in that area. I wonder if there are any other Pokémon which this happens for? I can’t think of any that aren’t either legendary, mythical or UBs.
Late to this, as sad as Glameow’s presence in the Core RPGs, it is not as sad as the Skiddo line. This line has currently only appeared in XY, and literally no other game since. It was a test for the ride feature in SM, which itself was never a bad part of. I do find it bizzare that they have only appeared in two titles to date, since Gogoat was one of the first Pokémon of XY to be promoted, yet seems not to be on par with Helioptile and Noivern.
The Skiddo line is also a sad case. I also remember how Gogoat was one of earliest shown new Pokémon for Gen 6. The ride feature had potential to be something cool, but it wasn’t very well used in X/Y. I wonder how it would have been in “Z”, same or different/better?

And now to the real reason I’m making this post. As said, I wanted to say something about each regional dex. I have ordered them by region and not by generation. Here we go!
Kanto
The Kanto games have always featured all the Kanto Pokémon and nothing more. Though from what I have understood, LGP/E added Meltan and Melmetal to the Kanto Pokédex? So that’s at least something. The Kanto games does a good job at focusing on their own Pokémon, but I feel that focusing only on the Kanto Pokémon alone does not work anymore because the Kanto part of the Pokédex have gotten fractured over the years. Having the Kanto Pokémon alone without their evolutionary relatives from the other regions (notably Johto and Sinnoh) makes several Kanto lines feel incomplete. I think it was acceptable in FR/LG, but it just feels wrong that they decided to stick with it in LGP/E too. When they make more Kanto games in the future, I really hope those will have some sort of Pokédex expansion.

Johto
Both versions of the Johto dex mainly features all the Kanto and Johto Pokémon. HG/SS added a few of the new evolutions to old Pokémon, but only 5 out of a total of 23 (as has been stated earlier). While the Johto games feature all the Johto Pokémon in their regional dex, the issue is that the Johto Pokémon don’t get enough attention in their own games. Most of the Johto Pokémon are rare/uncommon or even unavailable until the post-game in their own region! As for the dex on the whole, I think that the Johto dex is more in need of a revamp as opposed to an expansion. Like with Kanto, the Johto part of the dex is fractured. It relies too much on other regions to feel complete, and because HG/SS failed to include all the Pokémon from other regions that are related to the Johto Pokémon, the only time the Johto dex felt complete was in G/S/C. The Johto dex does not need all the Kanto Pokémon, just keep those that are relevant for their relation to the Johto Pokemon (or the story) and remove the rest, then add a bunch of Pokémon from the other regions instead (notably all evolutionary relatives to the Johto Pokémon, apart from Kanto, I think most of them are from Sinnoh). I think there is a lot of potential to make something great out of both the Johto games, the Johto Pokémon and the Johto regional dex, but the question is if they want to do it.

Hoenn
I think the Hoenn games do an excellent job at showcasing their own Pokémon. And OR/AS added all the evolutionary relatives that were new since R/S/E, which is excellent. Unfortunately, there were only 9 in total, so the dex size didn’t increase as much. On a positive note, Hoenn isn’t anywhere near as fractured as Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh, so it can stand on its own a bit better. Regarding the other Pokémon that are in the dex, Kanto has considerably more than Johto which I guess isn’t too surprising. Thinking back on the Pokémon that appear in the Hoenn games apart from the Hoenn Pokémon, I remember seeing more from Kanto than from Johto in general. Some that stand out are the Geodude, Tentacool and Oddish lines. Though there are a few I can remember being relatively common from Johto too, like the Slugma and Chinchou lines.

Sinnoh
The Sinnoh games were the first in the series which featured two different regional dexes for the same region in the same generation.

First of all, there’s the D/P dex. It has problems in many areas. Looking at the available Pokémon, the most glaring flaw is that it does not even feature all the new Pokémon! D/P are the first and so far also (fortunately) the only games where not all of the new Pokémon are in the regional dex. The D/P dex has 81 from Sinnoh out of a total of 113, which is 72%. From the older regions, Kanto gets the largest amount just like in the Hoenn dex, while Johto is second and Hoenn last. Kanto has twice as many Pokémon as Hoenn, with Johto being in-between, having 10 less than Kanto and 6 more than Hoenn.

Platinum introduced a much-needed dex expansion to the D/P, which was also a first for the series. One very interesting thing to note is that a few of the legendaries and mythicals are still left out. This makes the Sinnoh games the only ones to never have featured all of their own Pokémon in any of their regional dexes. These 7 Pokémon were left out from the Platinum dex: Cresselia, Regigigas, Heatran, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus. It also means that those 7 are the only Pokémon in the entire series to never have been a part of any regional dex. Apart from that, 19 Sinnoh Pokémon were added to the Platinum dex, bringing the number up to 100, which is almost half of the total dex number, so that’s great. Kanto and Johto got 14 more Pokémon each, while Hoenn only got 12. Still somewhat uneven, the difference between Kanto and Hoenn increased from 16 to 18. Though it is still not that bad, other regions have it much worse as we shall see further below. The important thing is that Platinum gave more focus to the Sinnoh Pokémon, which is great.

Unova
The second region to have two different dexes in the same region. They are also quite a bit more different from each other compared to all other regional dexes that has appeared before or after them (so far).

B/W has only the 156 Unova Pokémon and nothing more. Personally, I like this a lot. I think B/W does an excellent job at showcasing their new Pokemon since they only showcase them and nothing else during the main game. Not sure what else to say. I guess the negative could be that the dex might feel small compared to most other modern dexes, but I had no issue with it at its time and I don’t think I would have any problem with it if I were to replay B/W nowadays either.

B2/W2 made another dex expansion and almost doubled the size of the Unova dex, adding more Pokémon from all previous generations. As I have talked about earlier, I think they did a very good job since all the older regions a fairly even distribution between them, the difference being only 11 between the highest (Hoenn) and the smallest (Johto & Sinnoh). I think the B2/W2 dex had the best balance between the new and all old generations out of all the large regional dexes in the series so far.

In general, I think the Unova games really did an excellent job at… pretty much everything, but the regional dexes was definitely one thing. Having two vastly different regional dexes like this allowed the games to complement each other very well instead of one game pair being obsolete because of the other, like what happened for the Sinnoh and Alola games.

Kalos
X/Y has the largest regional dex to date, with 457 Pokémon in total. Kanto has the most here with 111 which is 24% of the total dex size, almost a fourth. After that is Unova which is very closely followed by Hoenn, then Kalos itself, Johto and somehow Sinnoh last. Looking at the dex numbers, there are three old regions which have more Pokémon than Kalos itself. While Kanto has a large number here, it never bothered me that much and I didn’t notice it when playing through X/Y. I think the large total number combined with the great Pokémon distribution and variation on the routes in Kalos made the Pokédex feel very diverse, Kanto or any other region never felt like it took over too much, unlike how it felt in a certain other region.

We never got a follow-up game to X/Y, but I really wonder how “Z” would have handled the regional dex. A Pokédex expansion feels a bit unnecessary when you already have the largest regional dex in the series, maybe they would have done a revamp or something instead? Or maybe they wouldn’t have done anything at all regarding the dex size, just shuffled around the encounter slots a bit like follow-up games usually do. I guess we will never know.

Alola
I said that there was one region where it became more of a problem that Kanto took over too much of the dex. And it is this one. Here, it became much more of an apparent problem. Like with Sinnoh and Unova, there are two different Alola dexes, so let’s talk about both of them in order.

First of all, we have the S/M dex, it has a total of 87 Kanto Pokémon! The number is lower than in X/Y, but it is higher in terms of percentage: 29%, more than a fourth and close to a third. Kanto definitely got the Pyroar’s share here, which is not cool. Alola itself is second at 81 which is 27%. The other regions got considerably lower, having 33 at the most for Hoenn and 14 at the lowest for Kalos! Which is a bit sad. The statistics for the S/M dex are really sad to see now that I take a closer look at them. I think S/M has the worst regional dex of all games with a large regional dex (300 Pokémon or more). S/M has a ton of issues on the whole, a very apparent one is how they really needed a better regional dex.

Fortunately, US/UM gave the Alola dex a much-needed expansion. They tried to make things more even between the older regions, and I think they mostly succeeded. Kanto now has 98 Pokémon which is 24%, the number is higher than in S/M but the percentage is lower. Thankfully, the other regions got their numbers increased as well. Alola itself got 5 more Pokemon for a total of 86 as opposed to 81 in SM, the others got better too with Johto and Hoenn going up to 51 each. Kalos still has the lowest but 34 that is way better than just 14! Sinnoh got the least new Pokémon, it rose from 29 to 35 with just 6 new Pokémon in total. While I think the Alola dex could have been even better than in US/UM, it did at least improve upon the dex in S/M just like how US/UM improved upon S/M in most other areas, so that is excellent.

Galar
The latest generation, and the last regional dexes that exist as of now. Since S/S have several dexes to talk about, I’ll go over all the relevant ones in order.

First of all, the main Galar dex. It followed in the footsteps of US/UM with a total of 400 Pokémon which is good. Interestingly, Kanto is not at number #1 for once! Instead, Unova takes the spot with 85 Pokémon. That is 21%, slightly more than a fifth of the whole dex. Galar itself is second, and then we get Kanto at third place. The others are relatively even with variations between 42 at the highest (Hoenn) and 32 at the lowest (Kalos, which somehow ends up at the bottom again, sadly). I think it did a way better job than the S/M Alola dex even if things definitely could have been better and more even here as well. Unova got a bit more than it should have had, the same goes for Kanto to an extent.

The Isle of Armor goes back to having a smaller dex for this sub-region. In this dex, Kanto is the biggest since it has 53 Pokémon which is about a fourth, Unova is second and has 43 Pokémon which is about one fifth. The others are much lower, Galar itself is the biggest of them but it only has 22 Pokémon, just barely beating Johto and Sinnoh. Kalos got the lowest number once more, with a total of 14 Pokémon. But apart from Kanto and Unova, the older regions are all quite close to each other.

For the Pokémon that got added with the IoA, Kanto is at number 1 and Unova second. Hoenn got the last spot with only three new Pokémon! The others didn’t exactly get a lot either, Johto got the most at 13 new Pokémon. It is a bit strange that Hoenn got so few seeing as it has the third largest number of Pokémon in total, which was represented in the main dex here Hoenn was the third highest.

Next, the Crown Tundra dex. This one is interesting. Unova gets the #1 spot here, closely followed by Galar itself (which of course is a very good thing), and then Hoenn, with Kanto only at 4th place! Very interesting. Johto, Sinnoh and Kalos got less, with Alola being the big loser here at only 4 new Pokémon. Which is very odd and unfortunate.

As for the Pokémon that got added with the CT, Hoenn got the most here, which could be seen as a nice compensation for how little it got with the IoA. Kanto is number 2 (why am I not surprised?) while Unova got very little compared to in both the main game and the IoA. It is at number 3 but it only has 8 new Pokémon, it is barely larger than any of the other small ones (which barely got anything either). And Alola is the big loser with a total of 0 new Pokémon. Though many did get added to the games with the update even if they aren’t a part of the CT Dex.

There’s also the full dex: Galar + Armor + Tundra (not going to comment on Galar + Armor since I think that is irrelevant at this point). Here, we see that Kanto and Unova are tied at first place! Galar is at third place, which is good. Hoenn is at fourth place. The others got a lot less, Alola is the loser once more with Kalos not far behind. Interesting. Johto and Sinnoh also have considerably fewer Pokémon compared to the others.

There’s one more thing. I wanted to take a look at all the Pokémon that are available in S/S on the whole at the moment (including Pokémon that are in the games but not in any of the dexes). Shoutout to DreamPrince for posting the statistics earlier, and to Merritt for writing them down in the first place. However, I noticed that the actual number for the Alola Pokémon that are in the games was wrong. It is 75, not 70.

I decided to not do a graph or anything, just a (hopefully) easy-to-read list for each region which shows how many Pokémon are in the games and how many are missing, and how much both of those are in terms of percentage seen to the total number of Pokémon from each region.

Kanto
117 Pokémon in the games (77,5%)
34 Pokémon missing (22,5%)

Johto
56 Pokémon in the games (56%)
44 Pokémon missing (44%)

Hoenn
87 Pokémon in the games (64,5%)
48 Pokémon missing (35,5%)

Sinnoh
68 Pokémon in the games (63,6%)
39 Pokémon missing (36,4%)

Unova
126 Pokémon in the games (81,8%)
30 Pokémon missing (19,2%)

Kalos
52 Pokémon in the games (72,2%)
20 Pokémon missing (27,8%)

Alola
75 Pokémon in the games (87,2%)
11 Pokémon missing (12,8%)

Meltan and Melmetal
2 Pokémon in the games (100%)
0 Pokémon missing (0%)
(wasn’t sure where to include them so I gave them a section of their own)

Galar
89 Pokémon in the games (100%)
0 Pokémon missing (0%)
(Galar is obvious, but I decided to include it anyway)

Looking at these stats, we can see the following (discounting Galar):

Alola has the most Pokémon included in terms of percentage, while Unova has the highest number of total Pokémon in the games. Once more, Kanto is not at the #1 spot for either category even if it is at #2 for the total number of Pokémon in the games. But since it has the second most Pokémon, maybe that’s actually fair? Looking at the others, Unova has the most Pokémon and is at #1 as said, Hoenn has the third most and it is at #3, Sinnoh the fourth most and it is at #4, but then the trend breaks as Johto has the fifth most but is only the one with the 6th most Pokémon in the games, being beaten by Alola while it isn't much higher than Kalos either.

As for the missing Pokémon, Johto has the highest number of missing Pokémon in terms of percentage, while Hoenn has the highest number of missing Pokémon in terms of the actual number. Sinnoh is second in both categories though. Interestingly, those three all have pretty large numbers of Pokémon on the whole, their total Pokémon number is smaller than Kanto and Unova but bigger than Kalos, Alola and Galar. It is a bit strange how two of the regions with a smaller number of new Pokémon got more than three of the regions with a larger number of new Pokémon in terms of percentages.
So those are my thoughts. But that’s not all. While I’m still here, I also wanted to comment on all the dexited Pokémon. This was inspired by what DreamPrince did earlier in the thread. So here we go. I’m not going into any deep details, just some general short comments on which Pokémon I am personally missing, which ones I think should be brought back for other reasons, as well as some I wonder why they are missing.

For reference, here’s once more a link to Serebii’s page with Pokémon that are currently unobtainable in S/S.
Kanto
Dodrio and Primeape are two of my top favorites from Kanto, so I miss them a lot. I am also very fond of Dewgong as I have used it to great success in R/B multiple times. I like Golem too, and especially Alolan Golem. On the topic of Alolan forms, I think Grimer/Muk should be brought back too, if only for their great Alolan forms which I like (I don’t care much for their regular forms though). Lastly, there’s the Venonat line which I don’t care much for personally, but since it is the only Kanto Pokémon which has yet to appear in a regional dex outside of the Kanto/Johto dexes, I think it should be given some extra spotlight. Probably the only Kanto Pokémon line which deserves that if you ask me.

Johto
One of the most fractured regions, and it is missing a lot. As shown earlier, Johto is the region with the highest number of missing Pokémon in terms of percentage. Notable ones I personally miss are the starters, especially Typhlosion since it is my favorite Johto starter, but also Feraligatr which I like a lot. And since those two are gone, I kind of miss Meganium as well even if it is my least favorite out of all existing starters. Plus Ledian (my favorite Johto Pokémon), Ampharos, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Ursaring, Houndoom, Donphan and Smeargle. And some others I like a bit such as Forretress and Granbull. I also think Stantler should be brought back since it is a Pokémon that is often forgotten. I also wonder how they will handle Unown if it is brought back now that Hidden Power is gone?

Hoenn
The region with the most missing Pokémon in terms of the actual number. Interestingly, the Hoenn starters are in the games. Still, I miss Swellow, Breloom, Slaking, Skitty, Medicham, Camerupt, Cacturne, Zangoose, Tropius as well as the Clamperl line. Those are some of my favorites from this region. Deoxys is also one of the three mythicals outside of Sinnoh which is not in the games yet. I wonder why?

Sinnoh
A lot. The starters, for once, as I think they are all awesome. Plus Staraptor, Bibarel, Ambipom, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Chatot, Yanmega and Gliscor. I also think the Glameow line should be given more spotlight since it has generally been very ignored as has been discussed before. And I think Glameow is a pretty cool cat, I also don’t find Purugly to be ugly at all. And the Burmy line, because as has been said, they have a discontinued HA. Just bringing them back would be enough at this point since Ability Patches exist nowadays. Sinnoh is also the only region whose fossils are not in the games. And not a single mythical either, while all other regions have most/all of their mythicals in the games. Like DreamPrince said, what does this mean? Does it even mean anything at all? I guess the future will tell…

Unova
Unova has the largest amount of Pokémon in the games in terms of the actual number. Still, I miss every Unova Pokémon that isn’t in the games. Notably the starters of course, but also the elemental monkeys, Zebstrika, Leavanny, Swanna and Eelektross. Meloetta as well, it is the second of the three mythicals outside of Sinnoh which is not in the games. Like with Deoxys, I wonder why it was excluded?

Kalos
The starters of course, since Kalos has one of my favorite starter trios. Apart from them I also like Pyroar and Florges, and Vivillon should come back too just so we can collect all patterns again! I don’t know why, but I feel that Vivillon would work well for a UK-based region. The Skiddo line too since as has been discussed earlier, it is yet another ignored Pokémon line. There’s also Hoopa which is the third and last of the few missing mythicals outside of Sinnoh.

Alola
Alola has the largest number of Pokémon in the games in terms of percentage, so there aren’t that many missing. Still, Oricorio and Minior are two of my top favorites from Alola and I want them back. Many of the others are quite cool too though, such as Toucannon and Bruxish.
These are my thoughts on this subject. With the series going forward, I wonder how they will handle both dexit and regional dexes in future games and generations? Gen 8 isn’t over yet, and while we can never know for certain, it feels likely that we will get at least something more this generation. Either in the form of more DLC for S/S or a completely new game pair, likely remakes but I guess a S/S follow-up shouldn’t be completely written off either even if it is unlikely at this point. If we don’t get any more new games or DLC, that means several Pokémon are going to be locked out of Gen 8 for all eternity, and that’s not good. Though this can still happen if they make more games/DLC without adding all missing Pokémon. I guess we will see what happens next year.

I’m happy to finally be done with this post. Next time, I’ll try to not delay something like this for 11 months! If I made any mistakes, please let me know and I’ll correct them.

Last edited:
Also, the reason Kalos consistently is low on the rankings for regional dexs is very simple: There just aren't that many Kalos Pokemon. There's only 72 of them including all legendaries, and they can't even buff that number with regional forms. When you consider the amount of 3-stage lines in Kalos as well (Aegi, starters, Florges, Goodra, Talonflame, Vivillion whoops that's it....), that 72 gets smaller and smaller. I just think you don't notice it as much due to all the Megas that are added and the aforementioned huge regional Dex.
With that in mind, it's also worth remembering that Unova's vast amounts of Pokemon in regional Dexs can be attributed to, uh, Unova's vast amounts of Pokemon. Gen 1 just about edges it for size if you discount the legendaries (Gen 5 has 13 of them, 14 if you count Volcarona...), but other than that Gen 5's 156 Pokemon (remembering to count Victini) is the most added by a single generation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)