SS OU Sub Goltres

Hi! This is my first RMT so I’m looking forward to getting some feedback. For context I have a decent amount of experience in SS OU and like to think I’m not a terrible player (I usually peak around 1750 on ladder), and I hope some of the better players on here can help improve this team.

Moltres-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 180 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Fiery Wrath
- Air Slash

Goltres was the initial mon I wanted to build this team around just because I think it’s cool. It’s a fairly self-explanatory set-this is the set-up sweeper which clicks Sub, Nasty Plots up and cleans. Fiery Wrath is slightly stronger Dark Pulse, Air Slash because the accuracy on Hurricane sucks. This Ev spread lets means that Scald from Slowbro and Sludge Bomb from Amoongus don’t break the sub. Goltres can set up on quite a few mons, namely Toxapex, Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, Slowbro, Slowking, Amoongus, Non-Gyro Ball Ferrothorn and trapper Heatran. I know Hydreigon is a bit better than Goltres in most areas, but at least Goltres can 2HKO most fairies after one Nasty Plot.

Excadrill @ Protective Pads
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill is our electric immunity and hazard remover and probably the member of this team I’m least happy with. It serves as a good check to Magearna and Koko, and Rock Slide is here to nail Zapdos on the switch. Pads are a nice failsafe to prevent Excadrill from being worn down against Ferrothorn and Rocky Helmet when it Rapid Spins. Stealth Rock is mainly to help deal with teams that just click U-turn all day. After some play testing the issue with Excadrill is that it gets forced out by most common rockers, making it difficult to get off a Rapid Spin, so if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement that would be nice.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic
- Knock Off
That‘s right, this is a specially defensive Pex. Pex‘s main role on this team is to switch into Volcarona, Magearna, Cinderace, Barraskewda and Urshifu-R. Haze is my main way of dealing with set-up sweepers, Recover and Knock Off are self-explanatory, and Toxic helps cripple walls. I wanted to fit Scald onto the set, but I find Toxic is really valuable to help Pex win 1v1s and every team needs at least one Knock Off user. Min speed to outspeed as much as possible against Trick Room. Black Sludge over Rocky Helmet so that Pex can punish Trick users like Magearna.

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
- Superpower
Rillaboom compliments Goltres nicely, being able to easily break two of Goltres’s main counters in Blissey and T-tar. Grassy Glide for priority, Wood Hammer for raw power. U-Turn for all important pivoting, and Superpower for Ferrothorn and Heatran. Not a lot to say about this one, pretty standard set. I prefer Superpower over Drain Punch for the extra breaking potential.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- U-turn
- Body Press
Corviknight is the blanket wall to physical attackers for this team, walling Garchomp, Melmetal, Kartana and Rillaboom, as well as Lele from the special side. Rocky Helmet to punish U-Turn. When building this team, I was concerned that Melmetal would simply tear right through with Thunder Punch, so I decided to go Iron Defense, allowing Corviknight to wall physical attacker completely, barring crits. Body Press seemed like a natural choice, Roost for longevity and U-Turn for pivoting. In relation to my concerns about Excadrill, I’m considering replacing U-Turn with Defog to help with hazard removal which would allow me to run a different Ground type. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic
Finally we have trapper Heatran for fire coverage and to trap and destroy walls like Blissey. The moveset is fairly standard, Taunt to prevent Telelport and Recovery and Toxic to beat things like Blissey. Heatran pairs well with Rillaboom, appreciating the Grassy Terrain recovery and being able to take Earthquakes from walls like Hippowdon if terrain is up. In return, Heatran can eliminate physical walls that prevent Rillaboom from breaking teams. This Ev spread is modified to allow Heatran to always live one HJK from Cinderace. This is because Zen Headbutt Cinderace can beat specially defensive Pex, so Heatran can bait the HJK can OHKO in return to check Cinderace carrying Zen Headbutt.

The main issue with this team that I’ve encountered is that it’s very difficult to keep Stealth Rock off the field, since the majority of rockers scare Excadrill out, and Excadrill usually dies too fast, leaving the team vulnerable to electric moves. Nidoking and Zeraora are also difficult to switch into, so any suggestions about that would be greatly appreciated. Unaware Clefable can also be very difficult for Goltres to get past.
Thanks for reading, if you have any thoughts or suggestions please let me know.

Last edited:
Ok so you as you said seem like a good player but i will help give you some feedback.So a big weakness you have is 3 of your mons are very weak to ground.Yes Grassy Surge halves the attack of earthquake and yes you have 2 flying type mons but your team is very bland and predictable.Personally i would not use such common sets and i would not use Goltres.First the big question is "Do you really need that many psychic/bug resists which are not very common types?"No! So i would completely scrap a couple of mons.For example You said Excadrill is a problem because its not a good hazard removal mon.I would suggest defog Mandibuzz because it keeps the immunities that Goltres has but also gets hazards off the feild.Excadrill could be replaced by any other good earthquake users but i wouldn't do that.Yes i know that Rillaboom is your big wall breaker with Banded superpower and woodhammer but i wouldn't rick that much.Also your Heatran probably does fine against either clefable build but im making one change to it.

Here is your new team posted.
https://pokepast.es/1d5a350b81bac487

Sorry i didn't explain very well but this might be a good fix.Tell me how it is.

moltres-g is such a cool mon with a really interesting moveset (its special bulk really lets it set up nicely), so it's fun to see people use it!
Some toughts:
1. To me, salac berry sounds like a pretty good option for a sweeper goltres if you are not running agility. goltres is a bit on the slow side for offensive mons, and salac just allows it to outspeed zeraora and dragapult. It would be a bit sad to see a sweep interrupted because you are at lowish hp from triggering berserk but with your last sub broken and then zera comes in and just stops you, or even worse pult drops an inflitrator draco or something on you. Salac also allows you to use the fact that both your moves flinch much better. This option is a bit more all in than lefties tho, but to me it seems like it would on average work out better in the current meta.

2. I would agree with your notion that just swapping to defog on corvi is better than keeping exca (even though i do have to admit protective pads are actually a nice tech that I didn't think off, for making spins easier against helmet skarm/ferro). The reason for this is that I don't really think that iron defense contributes that much against the threats you said you use corvi for(namely kartana,rilla,chomp,melmetal), since corvi can safely tank basically everything from kartana rilla and chomp(unless chomp has like two swords dances and is packing stone edge). But let me get into the melmetal part. This is the strongest a melmetal can thunder punch your corvi

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 242-286 (60.5 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

sounds bad right? But consider that you will be roosting every turn after. So you only take this big chunk once, then every turn you are regening health with roost, loosing your weakness(so halve that calc up there), while melmetal is slowly killing itself on your helmet, or you can even just switch to your ground type since it's locked and get easy tempo. and thats the worst it can get. I think melmetal currently isnt actually banded most of the time, so the hits will be quite a bit weaker.
Also putting defog on corvi would allow you to swap out exca, since you said you werent happy with it, and replace it with a different ground type or maybe even zera if a different kind of electric immunity suits you.

umm also, it says here your corvi is timid which i guess is a typo

3. you seem to overprepare for random stuff in the sets a bit. I'm just going to pull out some examples from the team:
spdef for amoongus and bro. But amoongus is ultra rare in the metagame, and slowbro deffo isn't trying to scald a dark type setup sweeper that threatens it to no end. But with a 95 base spa, the loss in attack EVs hurts goltres a lot in a myriad of situations
defense IVs on tran for HJK. but the general thing most aces do in the game is uturn 131235123531235123 times and maaaybe hjk once, and you can stomach that one HJK in case your tran is in pristine shape at a decently late point in the game(since ace almost never just goes straight for HJK), and that is hard with how easily chipped it is
the third example would probably be that iron defense on corvi, since it kinda solves a problem that you dont have anyways.

The problem here is that you try to account for situations that might arise in like 1% cases but make yourself weaker in the other 99% by doing that. I would suggest if you make such an adjustment to a set, that you first really ask yourself hard, how common is the situation that this helps in actually, and if the answer is "not very", dont do it if it means sinking a lot of EVs or a moveslot into something(a lot being like more than 50)

oh also this is more of a general thing that i've seen and not something that really fits this team but if you want to try goltres it might be of interest: I've mostly seen goltres being used on dual screens teams, which try to leverage its pretty great special bulk with screens to get to agility+NP+berserk and then sweep, so if you wanna play with goltres that might be an option too

Last edited:
glava222 said:
moltres-g is such a cool mon with a really interesting moveset (its special bulk really lets it set up nicely), so it's fun to see people use it!
Some toughts:
1. To me, salac berry sounds like a pretty good option for a sweeper goltres if you are not running agility. goltres is a bit on the slow side for offensive mons, and salac just allows it to outspeed zeraora and dragapult. It would be a bit sad to see a sweep interrupted because you are at lowish hp from triggering berserk but with your last sub broken and then zera comes in and just stops you, or even worse pult drops an inflitrator draco or something on you. Salac also allows you to use the fact that both your moves flinch much better. This option is a bit more all in than lefties tho, but to me it seems like it would on average work out better in the current meta.

2. I would agree with your notion that just swapping to defog on corvi is better than keeping exca (even though i do have to admit protective pads are actually a nice tech that I didn't think off, for making spins easier against helmet skarm/ferro). The reason for this is that I don't really think that iron defense contributes that much against the threats you said you use corvi for(namely kartana,rilla,chomp,melmetal), since corvi can safely tank basically everything from kartana rilla and chomp(unless chomp has like two swords dances and is packing stone edge). But let me get into the melmetal part. This is the strongest a melmetal can thunder punch your corvi

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 242-286 (60.5 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

sounds bad right? But consider that you will be roosting every turn after. So you only take this big chunk once, then every turn you are regening health with roost, loosing your weakness(so halve that calc up there), while melmetal is slowly killing itself on your helmet, or you can even just switch to your ground type since it's locked and get easy tempo. and thats the worst it can get. I think melmetal currently isnt actually banded most of the time, so the hits will be quite a bit weaker.
Also putting defog on corvi would allow you to swap out exca, since you said you werent happy with it, and replace it with a different ground type or maybe even zera if a different kind of electric immunity suits you.

umm also, it says here your corvi is timid which i guess is a typo

3. you seem to overprepare for random stuff in the sets a bit. I'm just going to pull out some examples from the team:
spdef for amoongus and bro. But amoongus is ultra rare in the metagame, and slowbro deffo isn't trying to scald a dark type setup sweeper that threatens it to no end. But with a 95 base spa, the loss in attack EVs hurts goltres a lot in a myriad of situations
defense IVs on tran for HJK. but the general thing most aces do in the game is uturn 131235123531235123 times and maaaybe hjk once, and you can stomach that one HJK in case your tran is in pristine shape at a decently late point in the game(since ace almost never just goes straight for HJK), and that is hard with how easily chipped it is
the third example would probably be that iron defense on corvi, since it kinda solves a problem that you dont have anyways.

The problem here is that you try to account for situations that might arise in like 1% cases but make yourself weaker in the other 99% by doing that. I would suggest if you make such an adjustment to a set, that you first really ask yourself hard, how common is the situation that this helps in actually, and if the answer is "not very", dont do it if it means sinking a lot of EVs or a moveslot into something(a lot being like more than 50)

oh also this is more of a general thing that i've seen and not something that really fits this team but if you want to try goltres it might be of interest: I've mostly seen goltres being used on dual screens teams, which try to leverage its pretty great special bulk with screens to get to agility+NP+berserk and then sweep, so if you wanna play with goltres that might be an option too
1. I love the salac berry idea, that’s brilliant, thanks. I’m definitely going give that a try.
2. You might be right about Iron Defense, I originally had lefties on Corviknight so Rocky Helmet stalling T-Punch Melmetal wasn‘t an option, but I probably don’t need it now. I’ll replace Iron Defense and Body Press with Defog and Brave Bird, then I can get rid of Excadrill... do you have any suggestions for a replacement? I’m thinking maybe Hippowdon or Garchomp. Also Timid Corvi is a typo, don’t know how that happened, it’s definitely impish. I’ve edited that in on the OP now.
3. Yeah, you probably have a point with the spdef evs, I don’t really need them. With Heatran though, it isn’t about switching in on HJK (Tran gets 2HKOed lol), but if I get Heatran in against Cinderace, 9/10 times Ace will click HJK, since they think it’s an OHKO and I haven’t got a ghost to mess them up. This has actually happened a couple of times, since maybe 20-30% of Cinderace carry Zen Headbutt, so I end up using Tran to bait the HJK and chunk it back, putting it in Grassy Glide range.
Thanks for all your advice!

hmm im pretty neutral to any ground rock setters, its probably a personal choice there

as for the heatran thing the thing that worries me is this

252 Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 148 Def Heatran: 324-384 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, ima guess its about 30-50% after lefties

this means you have to be at basically full health and preferably with no rocks up to survive, so it was a bit confusing to me how you manage to keep tran so healthy through the match, since most of the time it tends to chip, but I'm guessing people are using HJK very early in your games, and you plan to keep it healthy seeing ace, and if thats the case then thats a nice catch

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I'm terribly sorry, what? Um... "set-up" Magearna sets can use you as set up fodder and eventually KO you with Stored Power. Volcarona and Cinderace get Psychic/Zen Headbutt Althought I don't think you need to worry about Ace because most dont run z headbutt.
Toxapex has haze. Magearna would need to have like, five or six boosts just for stored power to actually bother Pex. I know this because I've done that a lot of times. Unless shift gear calm mind Magearna has thunderbolt, it's never breaking past Pex and Pex can even remove its weakness policy or shuca berry with knock off

And about the team, I'd just drop Excadrill and replace it with Landorus Therian. Unless it's playing in sand, Excadrill isn't a good pick and even resisted hits will sting quite a bit since it's defense are not that great

I don't think you have to worry about Melmetal. It's getting rarer and rarer and for good reason. It's slow, massive bulk won't matter in the long run if it has no reliable recovery, horrible special bulk and Zapdos. Toxapex can usually handle Melmetal quite nicely and you will know if it's banded because its earthquakes are gonna sting so I think it's safe to drop iron defense for defog. Tbh, I think Corviknight is the best defogger in the tier since it's the only bird that doesn't instantly lose to Garchomp nor does it mind knock off that much

Here is my suggested Landorus set

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

I'm not sure of the ev spread but that's the set I usually use since I want my Landorus to be incredibly bulky so it can switch in many times

vNatFly said:
I'm terribly sorry, what? Um... "set-up" Magearna sets can use you as set up fodder and eventually KO you with Stored Power. Volcarona and Cinderace get Psychic/Zen Headbutt Althought I don't think you need to worry about Ace because most dont run z headbutt.
As ForstamemasNeetaroOoniqua said, Haze prevents Toxapex from being set-up fodder, since Mag can only get one boost. Here’s the calc after one CM:
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Magearna Stored Power (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 146-172 (48 - 56.5%) -- 27% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Bearing in mind you haze as they Stored Power, you can quite easily stall Shift Gear CM Magearna. Volt Switch only does about 35% after you remove Specs, so only T-bolt Magearna can beat Pex.
As for Volcarona, some run Giga Drain to beat Swampert anyway, and Psychic is only 2HKO at +1 with max spatk investment, which not every Volcarona runs. Plenty of time to Toxic and stall with Haze and Recover.
I agree that most Cinderace don’t run Zen Headbutt, Heatran is a fall back for those that do.

ForstamemasNeetaroOoniqua said:
Toxapex has haze. Magearna would need to have like, five or six boosts just for stored power to actually bother Pex. I know this because I've done that a lot of times. Unless shift gear calm mind Magearna has thunderbolt, it's never breaking past Pex and Pex can even remove its weakness policy or shuca berry with knock off

And about the team, I'd just drop Excadrill and replace it with Landorus Therian. Unless it's playing in sand, Excadrill isn't a good pick and even resisted hits will sting quite a bit since it's defense are not that great

I don't think you have to worry about Melmetal. It's getting rarer and rarer and for good reason. It's slow, massive bulk won't matter in the long run if it has no reliable recovery, horrible special bulk and Zapdos. Toxapex can usually handle Melmetal quite nicely and you will know if it's banded because its earthquakes are gonna sting so I think it's safe to drop iron defense for defog. Tbh, I think Corviknight is the best defogger in the tier since it's the only bird that doesn't instantly lose to Garchomp nor does it mind knock off that much

Thanks for your advice! I’m a little worried about running three flying types on the same team, which is why I avoided Lando initially, but I’ll give it a try.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
You could always use Garchomp over Landorus. It's a very reliable wallbreaker and rocker. But you'll have to drop Rillaboom if you wanna use it and maybe use Slowbro instead as a ground type protection for Heatran

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

I'm not sure of the ev spread but that's the set I usually use since I want my Landorus to be incredibly bulky so it can switch in many times
Well, I haven't done the calc but I think Volt Switch/Thunderbolt from a Modest 252 Magearna will hurt it.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Well, I haven't done the calc but I think Volt Switch/Thunderbolt from a Modest 252 Magearna will hurt it.
That's why I said if Magearna is carrying thunderbolt. Volt switch is counter productive on setup Magearna as it needs two turns just for its attacks to hurt. Shift gear calm mind Magearna usually has those two moves along with stored power and draining kiss. Altho recently I've come across those that have modified that moveset because this artificial pokemon somehow gets every move in the game. Bottomline is, you'll have to figure out what the Magearna is running and until you've confirmed its moves, specially defensive Pex is probably the safest option to face it

Great team! As for Corviknight vs. Excadrill -
I do agree Corv is generally the better option. Excadrill, however, does have electric immunity. Without Exca, Koko + Eleki pretty much eats you for breakfast. Air Balloon can be run on Exca for the desirable ground immunity. Just come things to consider :)
BTW what other ground types were you considering?

adamantazu said:
Great team! As for Corviknight vs. Excadrill -
I do agree Corv is generally the better option. Excadrill, however, does have electric immunity. Without Exca, Koko + Eleki pretty much eats you for breakfast. Air Balloon can be run on Exca for the desirable ground immunity. Just come things to consider :)
BTW what other ground types were you considering?
Thanks! As for the ground type, I’m running Chomp at the moment. It works better than Excadrill but it’s not perfect because EQ doesn‘t synergise with Rillaboom. Actually considering Claydol lmao because it’s a ground type with rapid spin, but if you have any suggestions I’d love to hear them.

Thanks! As for the ground type, I’m running Chomp at the moment. It works better than Excadrill but it’s not perfect because EQ doesn‘t synergise with Rillaboom. Actually considering Claydol lmao because it’s a ground type with rapid spin, but if you have any suggestions I’d love to hear them.
So Chomp's EQ power is halved in Rilla's Grassy Terrain.
And Claydol fails to carry weight in OU, even with its ability to Spin.

You could use High Horsepower Air Balloon Excadrill. This:
1. Fixes the Rilla synergy problem
2. Provides a good Rapid Spinner
3. Has both Electric and Ground immunity

just to pop in, didn't you say you were going to use defog on corvi? that didn't pan out so you are searching for a spinner? anyways I wouldn't recommend baloon drill, because it's shares a lot of problems with pads, but would probably perform even worse than pads(and you said you weren't happy with pads), as theres a lot of skarmory running around which just sets up spikes and laughs at it, it has no sustain, and a lot of fast uturns from the likes of torn,cinder and pult means there is a very good chance your baloon will get popped for nothing. You are also forced to run high horsepower which is a worse attack than EQ. Also you don't need a ground immunity, you got two birds on the team already, and if you really really wanted another ground immunity just go for lando-t.

Honestly trying to compress hazard removal,rocks and electric immunity onto a single mon will leave you using some decently weak options as the only mons capable of doing all of that are sandslash(which sucks),claydol(which is a bit weak, but it's a special attacker, so no getting weakened by grassy terrain), flygon(basically a garchomp that is worse in every way except for having defog, and having rocks and defog on the same mon is a bit of anti synergy), drill(you said you tried it and it was underwhelming, and its still probably better than everything mentioned before it), and lando-t(defog + rocks on same mon again). In light of that I would suggest splitting rocks and hazard removal into two mons.

glava222 said:
just to pop in, didn't you say you were going to use defog on corvi? that didn't pan out so you are searching for a spinner? anyways I wouldn't recommend baloon drill, because it's shares a lot of problems with pads, but would probably perform even worse than pads(and you said you weren't happy with pads), as theres a lot of skarmory running around which just sets up spikes and laughs at it, it has no sustain, and a lot of fast uturns from the likes of torn,cinder and pult means there is a very good chance your baloon will get popped for nothing. You are also forced to run high horsepower which is a worse attack than EQ. Also you don't need a ground immunity, you got two birds on the team already, and if you really really wanted another ground immunity just go for lando-t.

Honestly trying to compress hazard removal,rocks and electric immunity onto a single mon will leave you using some decently weak options as the only mons capable of doing all of that are sandslash(which sucks),claydol(which is a bit weak, but it's a special attacker, so no getting weakened by grassy terrain), flygon(basically a garchomp that is worse in every way except for having defog, and having rocks and defog on the same mon is a bit of anti synergy), drill(you said you tried it and it was underwhelming, and its still probably better than everything mentioned before it), and lando-t(defog + rocks on same mon again). In light of that I would suggest splitting rocks and hazard removal into two mons.
Yeah, so the current version of this team has this Corvi and this Chomp:
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Fire Blast

Issue is that Garchomp sucks on a team with Grassy Terrain, and more often I’m getting swept by physical threats like Kartana and Gapdos since Corv no longer has ID. This Corv is definitely better than the previous one, and I’ll be keeping it, but it’s not as reliable at checking setup sweepers. I wasn’t necessarily looking for a rapid spinning ground type, although it would be ideal since Heatran is a real pain. At this point I’m just trying to find a better replacement for Chomp as a defensive ground type rocker-claydol was a meme pick I thought of. What do you think of using Spdef Hippowdon with Sand Force rather than Sand Stream to avoid Sandstorm chip?

Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Fire Blast

Issue is that Garchomp sucks on a team with Grassy Terrain, and more often I’m getting swept by physical threats like Kartana and Gapdos since Corv no longer has ID. This Corv is definitely better than the previous one, and I’ll be keeping it, but it’s not as reliable at checking setup sweepers. I wasn’t necessarily looking for a rapid spinning ground type, although it would be ideal since Heatran is a real pain. At this point I’m just trying to find a better replacement for Chomp as a defensive ground type rocker-claydol was a meme pick I thought of. What do you think of using Spdef Hippowdon with Sand Force rather than Sand Stream to avoid Sandstorm chip?
For bulky chomp - I would do dragon tail over EQ, for the obvious weakness with Grassy Terrain. D tail forces out more rocks dmg and has higher BP in Grassy

EDIT: I just realized you needed ground coverage Im dumb asf
Then the main problem lies in Rilla itself. You said Rilla was used for breaking Blissey and Ttar. You could use Buzzwole for that, although notably it suffers against Heatran.

Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Fire Blast

hmm, hippo can use whirlwind to stop set up sweepers,but you said kart is occasionaly a problem and it is super effective on hippo. an interesting tech might be to keep chomp but give it a moveset of endure-rocks-rest-eq/dragon tail and give it helmet. this can punish a lot of contact sweepers as they will have to take rough skin+helmet at least twice and combined with LO it can rack up very fast. rest is for longevity, and tail enables you to get the sweeper out. it is a bit risky but it might suit you

an interesting tech might be to keep chomp but give it a moveset of endure-rocks-rest-eq/dragon tail and give it helmet. this can punish a lot of contact sweepers as they will have to take rough skin+helmet at least twice and combined with LO it can rack up very fast. rest is for longevity, and tail enables you to get the sweeper out. it is a bit risky but it might suit you
+1
IIRC over 2 turns of contact attacking with Lorb, the opponent takes (16+12+10)*2 = 76%. That's huge. Maybe if you sacrifice your ground coverage and run dtail>eq, Rilla could be used to easily revenge kill with gglide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)