Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I am cautiously optimistic about this game, what we have seen so far very much worries me. No, it has nothing to do with the graphics, per se, but rather the world itself. I know this may be early footage, but the world simply feels so lifeless and boring. We don't ever really see more than a handful of Pokemon on screen at once, and you never see anything alive that is not right up close to you. Don't know if that is a draw distance thing or not, but it just makes the game feel empty.

I think that comparison image to Breath of the Wild posted previously does a fantastic job of showing how mediocre Legends looks in comparison. An open world game lives and dies on the quality of its world. What made Breath of the Wild so amazing is that whenever you got to a new hilltop, you could look around and spot a dozen places that look interesting, and that you want to go check out. Just looking at that gif above, I can see all sorts of neat cliff faces, rock formations, hills and valleys, all of which either look interesting in their own right, or look like places where that could be hiding something cool. But when I look at the Pokemon side of the gif, I see boring fields with a few trees. There is not a single individual location that stands out to me and says "come here and explore!" The most interesting parts are far in the distance, but I can't really tell if that is because they are actually interesting, or if they are just too far away for me to tell otherwise. Oh, and despite all of this, the Breath of the Wild image also makes its world feel so much larger. The things in the distance are not only more interesting looking, but they also look further away. That one gif gives you the feeling that you could easily just lose track of time exploring. The Pokemon image on the other hand, makes you wonder what the point of exploring would be.

And I must say that this feeling I get isn't helped by the fact that the images of a town that we do have feature exactly zero NPCs. If you want to make a world feel dead, all you have to do is create an environment where there should be people, and then don't put any people in it.

I don't want to be totally negative, and I am really hoping that this game turns out great. But I also don't want to jump on the bandwagon of "its new and different for Pokemon, so that automatically means it should be compared to some of the best games of all time." This game looks like it has issues, but it also looks like a fun new direction, and I really hope it turns out well.

Last edited:
To be honest, I feel, in a way, it was to represent medieval classes of sorts. Rowlet obviously evolves into Decidueye--an archer. Oshawott into a knight/samurai--Samurott. Though, what kind of breaks this theory to me is Cyndaquil. You'd think if they went fully in on this concept they would use something like Fennekin, which evolves into a mage in Delphox; honestly Typhlosion kind of eludes me here. Maybe it's supposed to represent artillery warfare? Not sure;;

Though, logistically, I think you're right; it's most probable they went with these 3 for representation's sake, while having some extra convenient flavor in Rowlet and Oshawott's origins.
This may be a bit too dark for it to be the actual answer, but maybe Cyndaquil represents the Mongol invasions of Japan? It was the first conflict to use bombs, after all.

Speaking of historical references, the fact that the starters are from three different regions and were brought over to Sinnoh is pretty genius. Back in the feudal days, Japan prohibited trade from other countries and shut off its borders, with very few exceptions. The website does mention that it's the professor who brought them over, so maybe they're a diplomat who's not from Sinnoh, or they somehow smuggled them in? Either way, it's a neat reference!

I find this one to be more interesting than the DP remakes as this one is unlike anything GF has done before. I find it somewhat refreshing they decide to use an ancient Japanese aesthetic ala conquest and this is the first time we got a prequel. As for the graphics I find it to be better than SWSH but that's not saying much considering that infamous meme tree. What I did find peculiar however is that things noticeably have glow effect as if your skin is too oily or something. Like Rhyhorn looked almost blue compared to its usual grey and Chingling could use some work. Also noticed how Sinnoh gets 3 games outside of its debut generation. Will Sinnoh become the new Kanto in terms of pandering? We'll see in a few years.

This may be a bit too dark for it to be the actual answer, but maybe Cyndaquil represents the Mongol invasions of Japan? It was the first conflict to use bombs, after all.

Speaking of historical references, the fact that the starters are from three different regions and were brought over to Sinnoh is pretty genius. Back in the feudal days, Japan prohibited trade from other countries and shut off its borders, with very few exceptions. The website does mention that it's the professor who brought them over, so maybe they're a diplomat who's not from Sinnoh, or they somehow smuggled them in? Either way, it's a neat reference!
Cyndaquil is the odd ball here again, since johto is also based on japan. I'm assuming they just picked it for variation sake more than anything

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Cyndaquil is the odd ball here again, since johto is also based on japan. I'm assuming they just picked it for variation sake more than anything
In all honesty, I thought Chepsin would’ve worked better as a grass starter, just because of how gen 6 didn’t get any love. You have SWSH gen representation for 1, 3, 7, 8, and gen 2 and 5 get representation in legends, and gen 4 is rocking an entire game for itself.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
One thing I just thought: Considering this is set in ancient times, it's likely that some Sinnoh Pokemon might be deliberately omitted/altered since they couldn't exist yet in their current states.

Rotom
Porygon-Z

Out of the Platinum dex, these two could cause the most problems in particular. Rotom could potentially be kept around if they gave it some new forms based on old machinery (e.g. Rotom-Water-Wheel or something). Meanwhile I don't really know how you reconcile Porygon's lore, like, at all.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What is even weirder is that Fennekin ties into both the RPG class theory and out-of-Japan-based-regions theory, and it still wasn't chosen. With Rowlet as an Archer and Oshawott as a Samurai, Fennekin represents the Mage, and is a Pokemon not native to the Japan-based regions, instead being native to Europe.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
One thing I just thought: Considering this is set in ancient times, it's likely that some Sinnoh Pokemon might be deliberately omitted/altered since they couldn't exist yet in their current states.

Rotom
Porygon-Z

Out of the Platinum dex, these two could cause the most problems in particular. Rotom could potentially be kept around if they gave it some new forms based on old machinery (e.g. Rotom-Water-Wheel or something). Meanwhile I don't really know how you reconcile Porygon's lore, like, at all.
Sorry for double posting, mods

Tying into this post, I wonder how trade evolutions will be handled. Since the concept of trainer isn't present in old Sinnoh, will the player be the only one to know about this? Will we discover about trade evolutions? If all Pokeballs are rustic, will there be scattered intems everywhere? How will we find evolution items?

Meanwhile I don't really know how you reconcile Porygon's lore, like, at all.
Most of PorygonZ's dex entries state it being readied for interdimensional travel, but running into errors that resulted in its corruption. Time travelling back a few hundred years is within the realm of interdimensional travel accidents in sci-fi. Would likley be an isolated thing and treated similar to a legendary if it showed up unless somebody tried breeding it in the Legends era. I have less of a solution for evolving the first stage, however.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this game.

The biggest question for me, now, is if this GameFreak finally stepping away from the Generation Cycle of the last 25 years? The game comes out in 2022, which is when we would be getting news about Gen IX, if not the first games of Gen IX themselves. There are almost 1000 Pokemon, they've featured/drawn a lot of inspiration from every major continent at this point...where else is there for them to go?

If GameFreak wants to move in this direction, where they present different regions in different periods of time, and with remixed Pokedexes, I say we let them try. I do hope they try to make it authentic and we get Apricorn balls exclusively. I get the worries about it being open-world and the graphics are meh, but I think those can still be patched over with the time they have left. I do wonder how this affects the story we are used to?

GameFreak is finally experimenting, and i think that's good.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While not fully the same, it is potentially worth noting that Conquest included Anorith, with one of the characters lampshading that it's strange when a bunch of them show up in the wild since they're normally fossil-only. On the other hand we haven't yet anything resembling the magitech Conquest got up to (or the fact that Conquest includes Mewtwo).
Idea: the character will discover a few secluded places where once-thought extinct species can still thrive, but were sealed off due to snow/ice/rocks/whatever.
Unsealing the area lets the species outside, and shortly after you can see them roaming freely across the map.
That would be a nice way to reward exploration imo.
Surprised nobody has brought up this part of the reveal trailer
View attachment 319045
That right there is the Spheal family, a line that was not present in either the OG DP or Platinum dexes. The starter selection isn't just a one-off, these games are gonna have an expanded Pokedex compared to Platinum.
I was distracted by the Piplups, personally.

To impress a potential mate, the male Piplup will usually T-pose in front of them to let them admire their mighty wingspan, like the true Chads they are.

The biggest question for me, now, is if this GameFreak finally stepping away from the Generation Cycle of the last 25 years? The game comes out in 2022, which is when we would be getting news about Gen IX, if not the first games of Gen IX themselves. There are almost 1000 Pokemon, they've featured/drawn a lot of inspiration from every major continent at this point...where else is there for them to go?
South America, Africa, and Australia: Am I a joke to you?

Memes aside, I think that the generation cycle will continue for at least a little while longer. They'll probably want to get in at least two more generations so they can hit a double-digit number of generations. And they don't have to start Generation 9 in 2022. Unlike the DS and the 3DS, the Switch looks like it's going to be Nintendo's main console for a while going forward, so they can take a few more years to get Gen 9 perfect.

I wonder: Since the game is named Pokémon legends: Arceus, does that mean theres a potential of having more games with the same "Pokémon legends" banner? Honestly since the gameplay and region design is so different, I wouldn't mind going back to Hoenn in a Pokémon legends: Rayquaza or something
I really want this to happen for the sole reason that a Pokémon Legends: Unova could be our best and only chance at finally seeing the Original Dragon.

Last edited:
Honestly, this game is what made the Pokemon Presents for me. It's a bit rough around the edges but not distracting enough. A new story set in Sinnoh, THIS is what I wanted to see for a revisit to the region. The past times of pokemon reek of potential, and I'm sold on how fluid catching and battling looks. Overall, you got my interest.

I am SO hyped for this game, so much so that I've been lurking for 6 years and this is my first comment lmao.

I've seen so many people complaining about the graphics, which to me seems strange. The low-framerate animations are clearly intended, as the rest of the game seems to be moving rather smoothly eg. the grass and trees at 0:54 (and throughout the trailer) are fluid while the Shinx look choppy just like the Chingling 10 seconds later. I totally see why people are reluctant to trust GF with delivering passable graphics after Sword/Shield, but this choppiness, if not intentional, would be such a big problem that I just can't see them showing the game in this state. Plus, I kinda dig it.

My concerns are more in the variety of the gameplay and game world: specifically, looking at E3 2016's BotW trailer, the first in which we had an idea of what the game was about beyond "open world Zelda", you immediately notice the stunning variety of landscapes and biomes, something this trailer fails to show completely. In the obligatory open-world-trailer slideshow at 1:17 we see a grand total of... 1 biome: prairies, with at best 2 more shown on the website. Which I guess is faithful to Sinnoh's real-life inspiration, and not dissimilar from many other open-world titles. Still, isn't exactly interesting nor original, especially after Sword/Shield which are just that with a handful of desert (and snow in CT). I'd really like to see more variety in this game, especially with what looks like an expanded Dex (in which I REALLY hope there will be representation for all gens).

And the big one, the presentation tells us that this is the first settlement in Sinnoh, although it doesn't specify it being the only one. I guess the village, being our base, might be expandable with all sorts of people (and shops) found in the region, that would be a nice way of indicating progression. Also, from this image on the website, it looks like most changes in the battle system will be in catching weak Pokemon by simply throwing Poke Balls, while stronger ones might have to be battled before they can be caught (also, Gallade has a level indicator, while Garchomp doesn't?). Just how are they gonna show progression in a game which alters the formula in such a way? All in all, despite these concerns, I am really glad they are trying something new, and I can't wait to see more of this game to hopefully quiet down all the negativity I've seen thrown around in the fandom (or, even better, create more drama).

I am also a fortunate victim of the starter choice being TOO GOOD, holy crap. Guess I'll have to play the game thrice :bloblul:

I’m kinda wondering if we’ll see fossil Pokémon or not? It’s way too early to restore fossils, but it’s probably after they died out? Still though, it seems weird to toss out the sinnoh fossil mons that could potentially work in the setting, unlike porygon-z and stuff, but it also seems like it would be weird to include them, since they’re probably dead?
We have precedent now of at least some areas existing where Fossil Pokémon still survive -- Galar's Crown Tundra had every single one bar Cranidos and Shieldon. So I imagine they will be there, just very very out of the way.

In regards to Porygon-Z, Rotom, etc -- keep in mind they said that you'll be making Sinnoh's first Pokédex. As in, not necessarily the be-all end-all that will be used for generations to come; a mere starting point that will be subject to revisions and remakes from future generations. It's entirely reasonable to assume we'll see some Gen 4 Pokémon left out and a fair few non-Gen 4 Pokémon added in.

I'm intrigued by this new direction Pokémon is going in, and more Arceus lore is promising! Though it apparently created the universe, it didn't get any focus in the main games outside the Sinjoh Ruins event, and it's cool that Arceus gets to be the mascot of its own game.

I'm interested in hearing whether this or BDSP came first. It's probably not a coincidence that we're getting two Sinnoh games so close to each other, but did GF make a Sinnoh prequel to tie into the remakes? Or did GF think Sinnoh made sense for a game set in the past, and then had the remakes made to tie into it? I assume it would be the latter since GF isn't making the remakes, but you never know.

I'm intrigued by this new direction Pokémon is going in, and more Arceus lore is promising! Though it apparently created the universe, it didn't get any focus in the main games outside the Sinjoh Ruins event, and it's cool that Arceus gets to be the mascot of its own game.

I'm interested in hearing whether this or BDSP came first. It's probably not a coincidence that we're getting two Sinnoh games so close to each other, but did GF make a Sinnoh prequel to tie into the remakes? Or did GF think Sinnoh made sense for a game set in the past, and then had the remakes made to tie into it? I assume it would be the latter since GF isn't making the remakes, but you never know.
I could see it being a thing of the timing just being right. They wanted to try taking Pokémon in a new direction, and both the anniversary and Sinnoh remakes were happening soon... so why not take advantage of that?

This game looks promising even if it's just from a conceptual basis for me. Pokemon in a new formula. I liked BOTW's style but it's combat (weapon degradation is an awful mechanic) made me drop it early. I am hoping the story and lore is there, Sinnoh has some of the best Pokemon lore and exploring that would be well worth some slightly dodgy graphics for me

Wow that looks fucking awful. It runs at like 15 fps and the entire world looks so barren. It seems like they're keeping some remnant of the turn based combat which is good but wow it looks like something a fan would make. Don't get me wrong I love Pokémon and I'm glad Gamefreak is trying new things but come on man, you are the highest grossing franchise ever. Would it kill Gamefreak to use their billions in profit to hire some guys who know what they're doing?

Ah well at least it looks better than this.

failure.jpg

Edit: sorry for the annoying arrows I was drunk when I saved this image and I am drunk right now.

Wow that looks fucking awful. It runs at like 15 fps and the entire world looks so barren. It seems like they're keeping some remnant of the turn based combat which is good but wow it looks like something a fan would make. Don't get me wrong I love Pokémon and I'm glad Gamefreak is trying new things but come on man, you are the highest grossing franchise ever. Would it kill Gamefreak to use their billions in profit to hire some guys who know what they're doing?

View attachment 319302

Edit: sorry for the annoying arrows I was drunk when I saved this image and I am drunk right now.
Holy shit! That log is hideous! w o w. Is that the base game or dlc? This erased every complaint I have about both of the games. Elite on the nes has better 3D models than this

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Typhlosion kind of eludes me here. Maybe it's supposed to represent artillery warfare? Not sure;;
Typhlosion is supposed to represent gunpowder/explosives and fireworks I believe. Fitting in with the medieval/feudal theme this game is going for, Typhlosion represents explosives considering its back flame is very explosive and it "blows up", especially apparent with its gen 5 sprite where it's clear it's preparing to get its fire to explode (which makes Typhlosion all the more awesome as a Pokemon imo), but this sort of fits into the medieval theme with the firemasters who used explosives, while Decidueye is the archer/bowman who harnesses the bow and arrow, and Samurott is (obviously) a samurai who harnesses a sword.

Not quite clear probably, but maybe this gets the point across.

View attachment 319302

I just have to restate that I downloaded this image to send to a friend and it’s literally called failure.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)