Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

If I'm gonna throw out my expectations here? I feel that just about every bit of major Platinum content will make it in, with the exception of the Battle Frontier and general aesthetics (Lucas and Dawn's designs, no snow in Twinleaf town). All the story beats and things that would contradict DP will be moved to a post-game Delta Episode thing, and at most we may see some minor features cut.

Not making any bets mind because, well, you saw what happened to Yung Dramps . But I definitely feel this will be fairly accurate based on how ORAS turned out.

After the dust has settled, here are my thoughts. Sinnoh remakes were pretty much a given after the website was found, but it probably wasn't most people expected. I didn't play DPPt on release and I mainly have nostalgia for HGSS, but I don't mind the game looking like DS sprites either way. At this point it's hard to tell what's really changed in gameplay though. At the least I thought the legendaries would get a new form or ability other than Pressure.

I was initially hyped for the Union Room's return, but it's raised some questions for me about the multiplayer and how faithful it'll actually be to the originals. It seems to imply that communication is still housed in Pokemon Centers for one. Will the Union Room still be the local communication room, or will it double as the online hub as well? I feel confident that they won't bring back the Pal Pad anytime soon, but the Wi-Fi Club could still be a thing. Will the GTS still only be usable in the Global Terminal, and can it even return when it's in Pokemon Home? At the least having a dedicated room can't be more frustrating than the Y-comm and all its issues.

Personally I'm still hoping for the Wi-Fi Plaza, even though it wasn't in DP. Another Platinum/HGSS feature that could easily make it in is Spin Trade.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
One thing I am VERY curious about is if this game will have any sort of special connectivity with Legends. SWSH had that thing where if you had an LGPE save you got the special gift Pikachu/Eevee, and it would be cool to see something similar done with these two games for obvious reasons. For example, if you boot up BDSP with Legends save data you could get access to the Azure Flute event or vice versa with something special happening in the latter if you have the former

Yeah that seems more likely than not to me. OR and AS each had more of an Emerald plot where you ran into both teams throughout the game, and Giratina will almost certainly get its own Delta episode type of thing. Hopefully there's a continuation of the Deoxys thing where you can catch previously event-only mons (especially Arceus) in-game.

Other than that, it's been inevitable for a while (at least since the DLC was announced) now these games would be coming out winter '21, and the trailer has me at least cautiously optimistic where the simpler artwork means there's a better chance of something like a Battle Frontier being in there than if they'd been showing off some full 3-D platforming Distortion World or whatever.

In all fairness, after the tragedy that was sw/sh, this is like the door opening to the tomb of Christ. I mean, we’re coming out of a dark time here. Just like how at any other time, the Mandalorian would have been a pretty mediocre show, but it came out right after last jedi and rise of skywalker. They could port over a handful of 3ds models and palette-swap a mega Purugly into existence and it would still be the best Pokémon game we’ve gotten since 2016
Yeah, and it backpedaled so hard in its last 3 episodes for an unearned conclusion and forced resolution....But hey, at least the Luke fanboys are happy so what do I know...

The Mandalorian ending represents completely my problem with Star Wars and its overeliance on nostalgia for an easy praise, and Pokemon has been doing this as well. Why try and do something innonative when we can just bring back relics and references of the past for that inmediate approval?

Other than that, it's been inevitable for a while (at least since the DLC was announced) now these games would be coming out winter '21,
Y'know... I think this might be why I'm having a hard time getting excited for this (even if Legends wasn't around to overshadow it). It's not really exciting and wow-inducing to see them remake Gen 4, it was an inevitability that was always coming -- and even now our main hopes and discussions orbit around whether or not they'll still have everything the original did. They'd have to have shown something really cool or interesting or new about it to wow me with that, but all they showed really was the artstyle and a few random earlygame clips.

This isn't really a knock against the games themselves, it's just... I'm finding it hard to get excited when they might as well have just tweeted that they're happening, and "Sinnoh Confirmed" at this point is something we've been tapping our watches and going "is it here yet?" for a while now that the inevitable answer of yes elicits very little from me other than "cool".

Just really need to see more, I guess. That's the theme here for me

It also makes one of the worst artifacts in the franchise history stick out like a sore thumb.

Exp. Groups are bad, were bad, and will always be bad. Why they still exist is beyond me. It's sickening to see how disgusting that mechanic is.

Old. Exp Share was excellent. Does a mon need catching up to be able to be trained by itself? Stick that to it and boom.

Exp. Candies are a pretty nice solution. Sure, you can as a player just dump 100 candies on your starter and roflstomp the game, but that says more about the player than the game.

What we really needed was a challenge mode, but guess that's not coming back until BW2 remakes.
No.

Old Exp. Share is exactly the same as the new with the sole difference that it affects one Pokémon, meaning you have less flexibility in regards to what can be added to your party and more importantly, at which moment that Pokémon can be added, resulting in a far more tedious process than it should be. Not only that, but there's no realization nor sense of progression in doing the same by innecesary repeating a process 200 times instead of 20.

Level cap the game. You can't overlevel your mons and let the Exp. Share the way it is. There's no negative argument against that. You can train any Pokémon, flexibilice your team, which allows for the game to be harder, since inviting people to make teams means you can elaborate more difficult NPC compositions, which is by the way what Pokémon like Reborn do.

Challenge mode has nothing to do with any of this. If you use current Exp. Share in BW2 and level cap the teams, keeping the challenge mode untouched, BW2 C.Mode would be, no questions asked, even better.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
This isn't really a knock against the games themselves, it's just... I'm finding it hard to get excited when they might as well have just tweeted that they're happening, and "Sinnoh Confirmed" at this point is something we've been tapping our watches and going "is it here yet?" for a while now that the inevitable answer of yes elicits very little from me other than "cool".
Uh... I think that's pretty much what they've done. Look at the description of the video.

The Official Pokemon YouTube Channel said:
Sinnoh.

Remakes.

Confirmed.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet from earlier today. Not much context here but could be the rest of the Nat Dex eventually???
Uh. No. Generally a bad idea to read to into funny social media posts.

Honestly though? I think BDSP's release is adding back the rest of the national dex. Between what's available in Sinnoh, what was deliberately left out in SwSh and what we've seen in Legends, I think we're getting everything back.

Uh. No. Generally a bad idea to read to into funny social media posts.

Honestly though? I think BDSP's release is adding back the rest of the national dex. Between what's available in Sinnoh, what was deliberately left out in SwSh and what we've seen in Legends, I think we're getting everything back.
My thought is, specifically (assuming they bother reworking the wonkiness) BDSP will bring everything up through gen 4 missing and then Legends will add the remainder.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For the record DP made all of the Gen 1-4 Pokemon available in some form in at least the post game. The following Gen 5 onwards Pokemon are still absent from Gen 8 currently:

• Unova starters (We know Oshawott is in Legends)
  • Patrat Line
  • Elemental monkeys
  • Blitzle line
  • Sewaddle line
  • Ducklett line
  • Deerling line
  • Alomomola
  • Tynamo line
  • Meloetta
  • Kalos starters
  • Scatterbug line
  • Litleo line
  • Flabebe line
  • Furfrou
  • Hoopa
  • Pikipek line
  • Yungoos line
  • Crabrawler line
  • Oricorio
  • Minior
  • Komala
  • Bruxish
Those are the big question marks as to where and how they will appear in Gen 8, if at all, and whether BDSP will include them or Legends will have them in some form.

Moved from the Unpopular Opinions thread - CRoll

People that hate the chibiness yet were fine with Gen 4/5 OW sprites are hypocritical
Granted I like none of those, nor the chibi styles this and Lets Go did, but when it's noticeably built the same....
Personally if I were remaking 4 I'd base models on art for everything. Including not being tile based for map design glances at ORAS and LetsGo
but I'm no game designer, so meh

Last edited by a moderator:
the girls have been LASHING BDSP all day. Lowkey I've been reading hate comments throughout the day so that my expectations are down in h*ll so whatever the final product ends up being I'll be pleasantly surprised and enjoy the experience. The mental gymnastics I have to put myself through to enjoy Pokemon games nowadays is just...

the art style is honestly cute imo I don't get the hate for it. like the graphics aren't great (expected) and it does look a little lifeless but if they spruce it up a bit maybe it'll retain some of the charm of the OGs. SWSH look disgusting so this is honestly preferred. The character models...................kill them with fire, salt the grounds, say the incantations. the battle graphics aint looking too cute either.
Can't wait for Flint's team to be Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Charizard Y, Charizard X, Gigantamax Charizard
1614399747601.png

inb4 they keep the glacial surfing speeds + loading/saving times + hp health drop, dearth of fire types as well as the excessive need for HMs in the name of having "faithful remakes".
SO glad we get to experience more games with InferALLAH supremacy. talent, acclaim beauty and success. not everyone has that.
at least we will have the route designs/exploration of the OGs. the last few games have been slacking in that regard.
If they remove early game GODble I will RIOT
the OST is gonna SLAP. if there's anything Gaymefreak is gonna do its give us hymns
I am NOT here for them keeping the boring climax from DP and shoehorning Giratina into a Delta Episode type mess

I love Sinnoh so much but not having the battle frontier might be a dealbreaker for me. tired of playing pokemon games once and then putting them down forever and having them never see the light of day. but then again I bought S*it and Sh@rt (the 2 biggest BOMBS since Hiroshima and Nagasaki) against my better judgment so who knows

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I'm cautiously optimistic. The press release has described this as a faithful, nostalgic remake. There's a lot of ways to take that, but with the minor Platinum things people have noticed it seems it'll be fine. I've always had low opinions of Diamond and Pearl, so in my eyes, it feels like a golden opportunity.

I don't think a lot of people actually knew what they were asking for with "DPmakes", with current affairs and DP as a base, but hey, they're here and it'll prolly be a fun time anyway. I see a lot of legitimate criticism (artstyle, etc), but like...I don't know what was expected? SWSH but Sinnoh? Are you sure you wanted that? Engine flaws and all? You want your Switch turned into an egg frier? It feels like bad timing more than anything.

I'm glad Game Freak outsourced this, people asked for that to happen and it's enabling them to focus on bigger projects. It also gives a chance for fresh takes on the franchise that could potentially revitalize the series.

Anyway, Gliscor without Hidden Power Ice in the game sounds like hellspawn. If the dex is cut to Sinnoh on top of that, all I can say is...
EAaq6TRWsAAjtsp.jpg

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I'm cautiously optimistic. The press release has described this as a faithful, nostalgic remake. There's a lot of ways to take that, but with the minor Platinum things people have noticed it seems it'll be fine. I've always had low opinions of Diamond and Pearl, so in my eyes, it feels like a golden opportunity.

I don't think a lot of people actually knew what they were asking for with "DPmakes", with current affairs and DP as a base, but hey, they're here and it'll prolly be a fun time anyway. I see a lot of legitimate criticism (artstyle, etc), but like...I don't know what was expected? SWSH but Sinnoh? Are you sure you wanted that? Engine flaws and all? You want your Switch turned into an egg frier? It feels like bad timing more than anything.

I'm glad Game Freak outsourced this, people asked for that to happen and it's enabling them to focus on bigger projects. It also gives a chance for fresh takes on the franchise that could potentially revitalize the series.

Anyway, Gliscor without Hidden Power Ice in the game sounds like hellspawn. If the dex is cut to Sinnoh on top of that, all I can say is...
View attachment 319341
I'm apprehensive. The graphics are incredibly strange and I find them to be reminiscent of Link's Awakening, but the graphics don't matter to me as much as the gameplay, and I'm worried about that in particular. Other than some incredibly small things that will no doubt be overanalyzed as we wait for more information, we basically have no idea what's being brought over from Diamond/Pearl and what's being brought over from Platinum. If the minds behind this project have more than two collective brain cells then we'll get the Platinum Pokédex and speed, but I'm concerned about things like the full Battle Frontier and overall challenge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)