VALORANT

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
File:Valorant logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons

VALORANT is a (free!) 5v5 tactical shooter created by Riot Games that combines the usual elements of its game genre like gunplay with unique elements such as characters and abilities, almost like a blend of CS:GO and Overwatch. The casual and competitive sides of the game are currently very active as of late, so I figured it might be nice to start a thread here about it. Feel free to talk about the game here!

Useful links:
Main Website
Main Subreddit
Competitive / E-Sports Subreddit

Feel free to drop your Riot tags here as well so we can all maybe play together sometime!​

I've been mostly around Gold 3/Plat 1 most of the time I've played but last act I was hardstuck Plat 2 for some time so that's something :D hmu on discord if you're around that elo SadisticNarwhal#1141. Not sure how much time I'm gonna have to play, cause ironically enough in summer my only internet is my phone hotspot which puts me at 70 ping with constant spikes to 300 and it's really tilting.

edit: NA

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
So newish player here, does anyone have any tips for better game sense/ranking up? At the moment, I feel like my aim is actually good, but I have problems knowing where to peek and when, how to hold angles correctly, etc, especially when you're stuck with a bad teammate or team. What can I do better that wouldn't come with time and a ton of practice, which I've been putting in? I mostly play UR, but meaning to really try and climb on comp since I've been chilling at like Bronze 3 for a bit too long now. Omen main btw (best character no doubt)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
honestly been waiting/wanting for a thread like this for a while now, glad someone made it :)

adore the game, its the perfect mix of what i liked about both ow and csgo and put in 1 game. like literally it removed what i didnt like from ow, which is chaotic gameplay that's easy/straightforward/doesn't consistently reward better players, and what i didn't like from csgo which is mainly the lack of "creative" gameplay (for lack of a better word), cuz it lacked the unique agents/abilities that valorant has.

for the esports side, i'm hella excited for the matches going on right now. 100 thieves finally found their "identity" and were quick to switch roles when things weren't going well for them (unlike TSM zzz) and i'm super happy ethan integrated so well into the team, he's already contributing a huge amount and he's only been playing the game for a couple months i believe.

So newish player here, does anyone have any tips for better game sense/ranking up? At the moment, I feel like my aim is actually good, but I have problems knowing where to peek and when, how to hold angles correctly, etc, especially when you're stuck with a bad teammate or team. What can I do better that wouldn't come with time and a ton of practice, which I've been putting in? I mostly play UR, but meaning to really try and climb on comp since I've been chilling at like Bronze 3 for a bit too long now. Omen main btw (best character no doubt)
i'm sure a lot of these you've heard before but i'm still gonna mention them just to make sure: crosshair placement and aim warm-ups everyday before playing go a HUGE way. you can also use aim trainers (i hear a lot of good stuff about kovaaks and personally tried aim lab and it's sick), but they're not "necessary" unless you have the time & dedication to put into them. I personally don't so I don't use them but probably will in the future once uni becomes less stressful.

before I go into anything too deep, remember that communication is CRUCIAL. if ur defending and u hear steps or utility B main, immediately tell ur team so that you don't get rushed. if you only hear one set of utility (for example, u only see phoenix alone, and not reyna/killjoy/omen with him, or only hear 1 set of steps) then also make sure to communicate that, cuz it can be an attempt at a fake so that the other team pre-emptively rotates. just communicate what you see/hear constantly and if you're gonna be making plays then tell your team you'll make them. if you see people pushing mid, that's huge information.

not knowing when to peak can be easily solved by getting more used to the maps as you play. there are very common spots for each map and bombsite. also, there are limited doorways that attackers can use to enter a site or take control for it. for example, on Ascent B, there are only 3 ways they can enter the site: B main which has the ult orb, through mid and market area (the part with the closable door), and through defender spawn. the market area should always have someone defending from it so the attackers can't get past market without killing the person(s) defending there. whether you decide to aggressively peak as a defender or hold angles is up to the individual players. here's a graphic illustration, i'll talk about my point of view as a cypher defending B on ascent (which is my most comfortable role/site on that map):

ascent_example_cypherPoV.PNG

in this example, i'm the cypher defending B with Jett against raze and phoenix. I usually play from market (although sometimes i'll play from the stairs/spawn area), set my camera up to watch B main and the whole area between B main and defender spawn in general, and I set a cypher cage on b main entrance and i'd usually switch up my trip wires every round depending on situation/where my teammates are playing. for example, if someone is gonna push mid, i'd use both my trip wires to secure the B site, if not, i'd put one in mid so I don't get flanked. (all this is indicated in the picture)

also, the yellow arrows coming from cypher indicate where I'll go depending on the information I get. if I don't hear/see anyone B main, I'll change my position to go to spawn area for example or directly rotate to A depending on the comms I receive from teammates. Although, as cypher in general, i like to anchor a site until I get absolute confirmation it's a hit on the other site, for example if my team is fighting/the bomb is planted in a rush. otherwise i'll anchor B or lurk mid to catch rotators/stray pushers.

the attackers when entering a site will go one of two places: either push towards the market/spawn area, or go on site immediately. I play defensively from market accordingly, only taking safe peaks and if I see someone pushing B main i'll activate my cage reactively and see if they decide to push it or not. basically, I play off my utility as cypher and I'd have absolutely no reason to peak without utility (also known as dry peaking), so I don't get punished for it. I'll play trying to punish opposing team instead.

So here is what happens usually when they push the site I'm holding: they get caught by a trap, at which point thats usually a guaranteed, non-tradeable kill because I'd be set up in a position where they can't chase me down. Or they destroy the trap through utility which is always sad, or just by noticing it and destroying it with a bullet. My main goal here isn't to get kills, it's to delay the opposing team long enough that my team can rotate and make sure to NOT die. if i get a kill, it's just a bonus and gives an advantage, but it's never my priority as a defender/sentinel holding a site.

so, to answer your question: as a defender here I don't peak, I just keep an eye on B main and flank from mid/market, and use my utility and the advantages I set up through them to possibly get kills, but more importantly delay/annoy the attackers.

so, this is my experience/input as an cypher player. I also just noticed u said ur an omen main after I wrote all this xD but doesn't matter, the basics/concepts of what I wrote still apply to omen. as omen you'd wanna smoke key entrances in a way that gives you the advantage, which can be seen/explained in this video:

also what you wanna do and imo the hardest part of omen is knowing when to use his flash. you can use it either as a way to delay the attackers, retake a site, or blind defenders to entry into a site as an attacker. you can also do some shenanigans with teleport but thats up to you as an omen main cuz i'm personally very mediocre with the agent :')

i feel like I wrote a lot and i might've even deviated from what ur question originally was, so i'm sorry if thats the case LOL. i'm just chilling and not very sober right now :blobnom: if u have any more questions i'd be happy to help, i love talking about this game and labbing new ways/strats to attack or defend cuz i can't always play in my free time.

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Do you guys happen to have agents you play only on a specific map? I never really play Sova on any map but Icebox (I usually play Omen but smoking on that map feels so awkward to me and I don't know why).

Anyways, as an Overwatch player playing Valorant, I love how incredibly balanced all of the agents are, especially this latest patch. There are a few things I would like to see changed (i.e. Brimstone's Stim Beacon and Yoru's Fakeout), but besides that, every agent seems to feel at least decent to play. Brimstone and Yoru kind of seem a bit underpowered at the moment in general, though. Omen and Astra feel like much better smokers when compared to Brimstone, considering the amount of limitations he has with it. Yoru simply just seems to be a much less viable option as a duelist when compared to the rest of them. Besides that, though, the balance in this game is definitely better than a game like Overwatch for sure. Crossing my fingers Immortality Field doesn't find its way into Valorant.

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
I never really play Sova on any map but Icebox (I usually play Omen but smoking on that map feels so awkward to me and I don't know why).
Maybe this is just me, but I actually love Omen on Icebox, albeit granted I'm currently a lower ELO player and a newish Omen main. From my experience and in the guides I've watched, playing aggressive on that map can be huge, such as making a high smoke and TPing onto B Tube, Yellow, or into B Cubby. There's also a few cool one way smokes that work on both B and A sites which I enjoy abusing. Defensively, I also like to smoke off A Nest/Belt while TPing to Pipes or, on B, just smoking Mid or Green can have huge rewards, especially with how easy it is to Paranoia or TP around people in those tighter corridors. Also, once spike is planted, your smokes on Icebox can really shut off huge portions of the map, which I really enjoy.

I do get what you mean though. It can be a bit awkward to smoke on that map, but mostly for me, it's on A with the more open areas and different entry points. It can be a little weird at times. On B, there's a lot more options and ways to really force the other team where you want, especially with spike planted.

I just realized that first paragraph might sound like a bunch of gibberish but if you can decipher it and apply that to Icebox, it should help LOL

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you guys happen to have agents you play only on a specific map? I never really play Sova on any map but Icebox (I usually play Omen but smoking on that map feels so awkward to me and I don't know why).

Anyways, as an Overwatch player playing Valorant, I love how incredibly balanced all of the agents are, especially this latest patch. There are a few things I would like to see changed (i.e. Brimstone's Stim Beacon and Yoru's Fakeout), but besides that, every agent seems to feel at least decent to play. Brimstone and Yoru kind of seem a bit underpowered at the moment in general, though. Omen and Astra feel like much better smokers when compared to Brimstone, considering the amount of limitations he has with it. Yoru simply just seems to be a much less viable option as a duelist when compared to the rest of them. Besides that, though, the balance in this game is definitely better than a game like Overwatch for sure. Crossing my fingers Immortality Field doesn't find its way into Valorant.
I used to try to be a Viper main when i first started the game but quickly realized she was bad and unintuitive despite really liking her, so I switched to other agents. Mostly now i try to play cypher on all maps except icebox, where I try to play duelist (jett/reyna specifically). I can't play sova for the life of me so i never pick him. trying to learn killjoy for icebox too cuz she's usually the sentinel of choice there instead of cypher.

i'll also try to fill most of the time even though i'm not really good with smokes. i can play brim and omen on a very fundamental level but i prefer not to.

about smokes on icebox, A feels super awkward to smoke off cuz there's too many angles. i still haven't gotten the handle on it too but i usually smoke screens and near the rope on the right side of the site (to block ramps/backsite)

also i'm a fellow former ow player, and i REALLY hope valorant doesn't go the same route of adding too many busted characters. it's actually one of the reasons (maybe the only one) i don't want yoru to be buffed/reworked cuz i have a feeling he'll be overtuned and the result will be an annoying hero that's super unfun to play against.

Astra

talk to me nice
The recent Astra buff has a me a little bit worried. Retaking is already hard with the number of agents being able to delay the defuse far away from site simply because of their utility. I'm afraid the meta will turn into basically stacking agents with kits that make defusing a pain. I get and appreciate the effort Riot is putting into the aspect of abilities (it's one of my favorite parts of game, honestly), but I hope they can make retaking less of having to chase down Brimstone, Sova, Viper, Killjoy, and now Astra hiding far away from the site patiently waiting for the defuse sound to burn all of their abilities and ultimates.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
The recent Astra buff has a me a little bit worried. Retaking is already hard with the number of agents being able to delay the defuse far away from site simply because of their utility. I'm afraid the meta will turn into basically stacking agents with kits that make defusing a pain. I get and appreciate the effort Riot is putting into the aspect of abilities (it's one of my favorite parts of game, honestly), but I hope they can make retaking less of having to chase down Brimstone, Sova, Viper, Killjoy, and now Astra hiding far away from the site patiently waiting for the defuse sound to burn all of their abilities and ultimates.
The only really cocerning 'abuser' of that at the moment is viper honestly, her current ult is a win round button and the mollies do way too much damage. Besides her i would say its just a matter of adapting, often times i see people in a 1v1 retake scenario vs killjoy for example with ample time to just run her down but instead they just fake defuse once, get mollied, then get jiggled to death

Astra

talk to me nice
The only really cocerning 'abuser' of that at the moment is viper honestly, her current ult is a win round button and the mollies do way too much damage. Besides her i would say its just a matter of adapting, often times i see people in a 1v1 retake scenario vs killjoy for example with ample time to just run her down but instead they just fake defuse once, get mollied, then get jiggled to death
Yeah, I can see why you say that. The Viper buffs a patch ago were also pretty insane with how easy it makes defending retakes, even without Viper's Pit. Throw her smoke on the spike, run away from site, and launch her mollies for basically an instant kill. She's probably going to be an agent that'll be impossible to find a midpoint between incredibly powerful and incredibly weak.

aVocado

@ Everstone
so i dont know if anyone else here is interested in the esport aspect of valorant but i'm very invested in it, and the 2 teams i root for (TSM and fnatic) are finally doing good :)

two of the biggest orgs that had very promising rosters but were heavily underperforming for a while. and in the case of TSM, the roster has been playing since launch/beta and were considered a top team and then they just started playing like absolute ass for a long while until some roles were switched/changed. for fnatic it's a fairly newer team but still has a lot of experience together, and they had roster changes that were proven to be an immediate upgrade!

TSM beat Soniqs (best australian/SEA team, made sentinels sweat) 2-1 and GenG (a team where the matchup goes back and forth, never a consistent winner) 2-0. the win against GenG especially was impressive cuz goddamn it was a fucking stomp. wardell went 24-1 at one point in a map and was actually insane lmao

fnatic recently beat team liquid in the grand finals (!) of a qualifier, and also beat Vitality and G2 before that, two teams i didn't expect they'd win against :)

so happy to see the teams improve, been hard being a fan of both and seeing both of them consistently shit themselves and play so badly despite knowing they have the talent. and orgs of their caliber shouldn't be underperforming that hard anyway. i hope they keep it up :0

aVocado

@ Everstone
i think tsm would look better with brax > cutler permanently while keeping hazed
Same, i dont know why they’re still keeping cutler. At first its cuz he’s igl but i think they made hazed igl anyway, maybe brax can’t play controller? Not sure, at this point idk why they even signed brax if they’d just bench him

honestly still glad tsm saw immediate results with just some role changes though. I used to have the opinion that roza should be dropped alongside cutler cuz he’s a wannabe duelist on controller/skye and it was just not working, but i didn’t know drone had a mean sova and thought he was just a duelist one trick lol.

i was proven super wrong though, role changes are amazing and the team finally looks like they’re playing together now

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Hazed can play whatever cutlers playing and then they keep brax on sentinels for comfort, hazeds just much more solid individually
At least this opens up more possibilities for 6 man rosters in valorant which is interesting

Sadly I think it was inevitable TSM would fall off, I was a big hazed and cutler fan especially in their clg days but the truth is that they were both a year plus off from playing any kind of competitive CS. Then you’ve got drone who was ok and is pretty serviceable and you’re left with two granted very good if not elite players. But now that people have had the time to learn the game, it’s pretty clear their initial advantage of being good at CS has mostly been equalized. The op being nerfed really hurt TSM too (I swear every time I see a retake with this gun the round is almost always lost/the oper has no impact) for a team who probably have one of the best opers in the game. I doubt brax is the answer to their problems, I mean he’s probably an upgrade on cutler but he really hasn’t done much of anything but underperform in valorant. I’ve tried to give him the benefit of the doubt since he was so good in CS but it’s pretty damning that the original t1 was so mediocre given their talent level. Crashies and food finding success suggests to me they weren’t the issue with that team.

Astra

talk to me nice
New map is shaping up to look good, though I am curious as to what its niche is (i.e. Bind has teleporters, Haven has three sites, etc.). It seems to be a very open map, which is cool I suppose. The whole aesthetic is incredibly nice, though.

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
New map is shaping up to look good, though I am curious as to what its niche is (i.e. Bind has teleporters, Haven has three sites, etc.). It seems to be a very open map, which is cool I suppose. The whole aesthetic is incredibly nice, though.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw it. It looks super nice and open, but I wonder how hard it'll be to defend. Just a quick glance at the sites makes it seem almost impossible for a group of 2-4 to actually hold down a site, especially at a man disadvantage. Not many places to hide or hard angles to hold. I'm super excited to see how it plays out.

Astra

talk to me nice
I actually saw someone on Reddit point out that one of the sites is covered with water, so they theorized that certain types of mollies will be nullifed if it ends up anywhere in that area. It would honestly be a good way to prevent molly shananigans during defuse, but it just might be a map aesthetic thing. I guess we'll find out soon.

aVocado

@ Everstone
new map looks sick af, can't wait. got bored of the preexisting maps and i'm starting to dislike maps i used to actually like z_z (ascent) also i heard the gimmick could be a one-way slide that takes you downstairs or smth? i dunno, nothing looked clear on the trailer tbh lol (the time in the clip is 0:49 for the slides, where jett and raze were walking)

it has ropes though!

also tsm playing immortals in ~3ish hours super excited :) hope we win

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
i hope they dont feel discouraged after the bad icebox reception and actually make something different again, all the maps in this game just look like dust 2 or cache with a 4 by 4 structure and some gimmicks, gets very boring x_x

Now that the new map is out, how is everyone finding it? Imo it's a nice map, I've been enjoying it cause its different and thankfully more and more people are starting to like it, now that they had a chance to play it (rather than thinking it wasn't gonna be that good based on the trailer)

aVocado

@ Everstone
who y'all rooting for in iceland?

i'm a fnatic boy through and through :blobuwu:

NA: Sentinels, Version1
EU: Liquid, Fnatic
KR: Nuturn (no Vision Strikers!)
BR: Team Vikings, Sharks Esports
JP: Crazy Raccoon
SEA: X10
LATAM: ?

super excited to see the regions play out cuz i have 0 knowledge of any region outside of na/eu. although, I really hope korea doesn't dominate valorant the same way they dominated any esport thats not csgo. they're so boring and the language barrier makes for 0 interesting personalities most of the time :(

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
how yall feeling about breeze? think it's kinda an eh map, but at least val's distinguishing itself from CS by being huge

aVocado

@ Everstone
how yall feeling about breeze? think it's kinda an eh map, but at least val's distinguishing itself from CS by being huge
i'm still not used to it honestly, i feel like it's taking a lot more time to get used to it than icebox for example.. and i genuinely feel like i heavily dislike the map and not because it's new and i dont understand it as much as other older maps, but i think it's way too exaggerated. like the other maps have their own gimmicks but they're easy or straightforward. breeze's gimmick is that its huge, exaggeratedly so, and i really don't like that.

it invalidates a lot of utility, or at least "worsens" the effect of utility. viper wall doesn't even cover half the map most of the time, omen smokes aren't close to being enough, brim is literally useless, there are areas where you're actually outside of skye flash range or sova dart whereas i've *never* been in a situation where I was outside the range of another ability like that in any other map.

phantom feels useless over much longer ranges (hs + bodyshot isn't enough), op feels a lot more powerful, forcing spectres seems like a disadvantage most of the time when the enemies force deagles or marshalls, and so many other things

it's definitely very hard to get used to at least for me, i have to change a lot of things, and the map honestly forces me to change my playstyle, so that's probably why i'll keep disliking it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)