Pet Mod Hoenn Gaiden - Slate 14 (Return and Rework)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ema Skye

Work!
Ability Name: Magic Guard
Generation: 4
Effect: User is immune to indirect damage.
Potential Users: Clefable, Tentacruel, Sableye
Description: With Gen 3 involving Sandstorm, Spikes and Toxic everywhere, an ability that shuts it all down has so much value in creating niches. Clef is the OG user and even though it's Normal here, it absolutely put work in during Gen 4 with it, especially with STAB no-recoil Double Edge. Tentacruel is my favorite user of this, as it's part-Claydol, part-Starmie as a spinner, keeping Claydol's immunity to Spikes and Sand to residual damage while also having bulky Water properties. Sableye also has fun here as a spin blocker immune to residual damage, which compensates for its low stats (it does get Recover in this gen).

Ability Name: Magic Bounce
Generation: 5
Effect: Bounces back status moves
Potential User's: Mr. Mime, Xatu, Ledian
Description: Spikes and Toxic are everywhere, and so this move could wreck so much chaos without team preview being here. I'm intentionally leaving out Espeon as I don't know if it'll break it since it's already borderline and was toxic af with it and Baton Pass in gen 5. While Xatu, Ledian and Mr. Mime also get Baton Pass, they are less offensively inclined. As this ability is so powerful, should it be picked, we will need to be careful in who we give it to.

Last edited:
Ability: Sturdy (Modern Version)
Generation: Gen 5
Effect: Pokemon will survive any move that would KO it at 1 HP if at 100% HP before being hit.
Potential Users: All current sturdy pokemon, Cradily
Effect on the meta: This makes it so that sturdy actually does something. Pokemon like Foretress, Magneton, and Golem can use it to pressure frail offensive pokemon, as it allows them to withstand one hit even if hit by a type they are 4x weak to. It also provides niches for pokemon that can serve as sweep-breakers, especially considering focus sash doesn't exist in this gen.

Ability: Magic Bounce
Effect: Status moves targeted on this pokemon will be reflected back at the user.
Potential Users: Claydol, Starmie, Espeon, Hypno, Alakazam, Kadabra, Clefable
Description: This provides for additional defense against spikes without a spinner, which is nice. Hypno, Claydol, and Clefable can take more advantage of utility moves due to ignoring toxic and being able to deter spikes setups. Alakazam and Espeon can switch in on more mons, and can potentially use set up moves to greater effect before firing off their high-speed Psychics (or baton-pass).

Ability: Multiscale
Effect: Pokemon takes half damage from damage-dealing moves if at full HP.
Potential Users: Flygon, Dragonite, Kingdra, Gyarados
Description: Gives these mons a bit of extra bulk, especially allowing them to switch in more easily. Allows Gyarados to potentially set up an almost free Dragon Dance, although it gives up its Intimidate. Especially useful in running bulky sets for these mons as three out of the four of them have a 4x weakness.

Ability: No Guard
Generation: Gen 4
Effect: All moves used by this pokemon or used against this pokemon cannot miss.
Potential Users: Machamp, Swellow, Pigeot, Absol
Description: Benefits these pokemon in that they can no longer miss their moves. Seeing as many people care about accuracy over power, the user of the ability gains much more out of this than the opponent. Most notable is Machamp, who can now use 100% accurate Dynamic Punches to always confuse the target with 100 base power.

Ability: Triage
Generation: Gen 7
Effect: Increases the priority of healing moves by 3. (This would be slightly different from the Gens 7/8 effect - would also affect moves like aromatherapy and leech seed)
Potential Users: Meganium, Sunflora, Bellosom, Chansey (not Blissey)
Description: This would give these pokemon a niche to fill despite their below-average stats. Gives priority Giga Drain to finish off faster pokemon and gives priority Synthesis/Moonlight/Softboiled to increase survivability despite low speed stats. Additionally allows Chansey to Wish heal the next pokemon in line even if it's about to be killed, and gives priority aromatherapy to heal the party's status.

Ability: Regenerator
Effect: Restores 1/3 of max HP when this pokemon is switched out.
Potential Users: Slowbro, Slowking, Tangela, Togetic, Gorebyss, Altaria, Exeggutor, Meganium, Chimecho
Description: Allows some of these pokemon to shine despite a lack of HP restore. Overall increases survivability and could potentially give some of these mons support niches that they wouldn't have otherwise due to dying after one or two switch-ins.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Ability: Unaware
Generation: Gen 4
Effect: Ignore the opponent’s stat changes except Speed when attacking or being attacked.
Potential Users: Clefable, Quagsire, Illumise, Swalot, Minun
Description: Give Quagsire something over Swampert, who otherwise outclass it in every way in ADV OU. Swalot can also makw use of it with its decent all-round bulk as well.

Ability: Moxie
Effect: Every time the user had knocked out a target, this user gains +1 Attack.
Potential Users: Pinsir, Mightyena, Murkrow, Seaking
Description: Allows for snowballing through continuous Attack raise, but is off-set by the fact that the Pokémon is either slow or being very frail.

Ability: Analytic
Effect: If this Pokémon moves last, the power of its move is boosted by 30%.
Potential Users: Magneton, Porygon2, Torkoal, Cacturne, Grumpig
Description: Gives the potential users an extra boost in power to get around their middling attacking stat - or in Cacturne‘s case, a combination of frailty and slowness - as long as they move last.

Ability: Fur Coat
Generation: Gen 6
Effect: This Pokémon receive half damage from physical moves.
Potential Users: Wigglytuff, Delcatty, Furret
Description: Allows any of these nearly completely outclassed Pokémon to have a niche over the other Normal-types.

Ability: Stakeout
Effect: The user deals double damage if the opponent had switched their Pokémon.
Potential Users: Seviper, Ariados, Beedrill, Masquerain
Description: This give the users of being able to punish switching to the point only a double resistance or an immunity is a sure-way safe switch-in. They either are frail, slow or have mediocre Attack and / or Special Attack stat to mitigate, and although Seviper is slow and frail, it compensate by being able to hit the hardest of both sides among the potential users.

Ability: Dragon’s Maw
Generation: Gen 8
Effect: Power-up this Pokémon’s Dragon-type moves by 50%.
Potential Users: Charizard, Sceptile, Gyarados (Flavor only)
Description: Gives Charizard and Sceptile an effective secondary STAB without amplifying Sceptile’s weakness to Ice. This also allows Charizard to directly fight Dragon-type and Sceptile not being completely stopped by Salamence and Dragonite. Gyarados is mostly for flavor.

Last edited:

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Ability:Flower Veil
Generation: Gen 6
Effect: Flower Veil prevents the Pokémon with this Ability (if it is Grass-type) and its Grass-type allies (including non-adjacent allies) from having their stats lowered by other Pokémon. Self-inflicted stat reductions are not prevented.
Flower Veil also prevents the Pokémon with this Ability (if it is Grass-type) and its Grass-type allies (including non-adjacent allies) from being afflicted by non-volatile status conditions or Yawn. However, it will not prevent a Pokémon from falling asleep if it is already drowsy from Yawn. This Ability has no effect on Rest
Potential Users: Bellosom, Vileplume, Sunflora, Meganium, Tropius, Victreebell, Exeggutor
Description:All the grass type pokemon given the ability are now immune to status conditions and stat changes such as intimidate. This benefits the grass type pokemon that aren't already immune to toxic, and honestly I mean nothing doesn't benefit from this.

Name of Ability: Analytic
Effects: The power of this Pokemon's move is multiplied by 1.3 if it is the last to move in a turn. Does not affect Doom Desire and Future Sight.
Recipients: Magneton (Over Sturdy), Porygon2, Starmie (Over Illuminate), Breloom, Charizard
Why It Should Be Picked: Fun side effect of Analytic, if a pokemon swichs out the opposing pokemon goes last activating Analytic. With this in mind Mag and Porygon2 don't get any new niches but Starmie can now pound Jelli harder on the swich, Charizard can use Focus Punch better and Breloom can now use it's power to force swichs into a 1.3 power boost

Name of Ability: Neuroforce
Effects: This Pokemon's attacks that are super effective against the target do 1.25x damage.
Recipients: Alakazam
Why It Should Be Picked: W.I.P

Last edited:

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Ability Name: Mold Breaker
Effect: Ignores the opponent's ability when attacking.
Potential User's: Pinsir, Dragonite, Kangaskhan
Description: W.I.P.

Ability Name: Solid Rock
Effect: User takes 3/4 from Super-effective moves.
Potential User's: Golem, Rhydon, Magcargo, Aggron, Tyranitar

Ability Name: Solar Power
Effect: Boosts the user's Special Attack by 1.5x. The user looses 1/8 of its maximum health at the end of each turn.
Potential User's: Arcanine, Ninetales, Thyphlosion, Moltres (maybe, not sure)

Ability: Poison Heal
Effect: Poison damage now heals the user instead of damaging it.
Potential Users: Gliscor, Breloom, Donphan, Cloyster, Dusclops
Description: Thank god that Toxic Orb isn’t a thing yet, or else this would’ve been too good here. Poison Heal discourages mindless Toxic spam, which is very common in Gen 3, and gives some formerly mediocre/bad mons niches. It also acts a handy status absorber, most notably for Breloom, Moltres, and Thunder Wave Jolteon/Zapdos. Of course, this could very easily go the opposite way and be totally broken, and if it is, I’ll gladly eat my words.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the (other) winners and R.I.P. Mr. Mime. Despite one of the more obscure abilities that I was going to suggest already being surprisingly taken, I am a more surprised still that the seemingly most obvious ability to suggest adding to Gen III hasn't been suggested yet:

Ability Name: Overcoat (Generation VI onward version)
Generation: V | 5
Effect: Protects the Pokémon from things like sand, hail, and, as of Gen VI, powder and spore moves, including Effect Spore.
Potential Users: Camerupt, Clamperl, Cloyster, Dusclops, Fortress, Mr. Mime, Muk (would replace Stench), Parasect, (new) Tropius, Vileplume
Description: Between how much Sandstorm factor into (read: defines) the Gen III (& IV) OU meta, Snow Warning being one of the first things added to this Pet Mod, and Grass mons losing their Gen VI buff by default, I am legitimately surprised that no one had suggested this yet. This is especially true since it's not as good (read: borderline broken) as Magic Guard, meaning it's easier to give to a lot more things without inadvertantly breaking one or more of them. That Overcoat existing also helps rein in Breloom a bit is just an added bonus, even before my attempt to intentionally "make sure" the bulkiest Ghost in Gen III gets Overcoat since Spiritomb doesn't exist yet.

All of these mons would clearly be improved by adding Overcoat without also becoming broken, though Parasect would likely still suck even though at least now has something significant to separate it from Breloom as the original Spore user. The other two Grass mons arguably are the biggest winners, with Overcoat helping distinguish iceblazer's Tropius more from both Celebi and Salamence and with Vileplume instantly becoming one of the best Breloom checks, especially since it isn't weak to Ghost like Dusclops unfortunately is. Muk also technically does that, but it lacks Vileplume's ability to recover.

Regardless, if nothing else, Overcoat existing would also make it easier to both support and play around Abomasnow without needing an Ice type on your team since it's not like the majority of Ice types are going suddenly stop sucking any time soon even without Stealth Rock around to make them even more difficult to use.

I could suggest more, but I don't want to accidentally break one or more mons in a meta I'm still rather unfamiliar with as it is, and Overcoat alone already seems a significant enough suggestion to be honest.

Name of Ability: Delta Steam
Effects: When this Pokémon enters the Battlefield, it fills the Air with overwhelming currents that causes all Flying type weaknesses to be negated
Recipients: Drifloon evo line, Garchomp, Rayquaza, Lugia, Tornadus, Noviern, Minior, Celesteela
Why It Should Be Picked: This ability is Pretty helpful to a good amount of Pokémon that don't naturally get it, or can work based off of things like dex entries and some lore standpoints

Name of Ability: Primordial Sea
Effects: When this Pokémon enters the Battlefield, it creates a Heavy Rain that can't be removed until this Pokémon is removed from the Field or when a Pokémon with the Ability Delta Stream or Desolate Land enters the Battlefield
Recipients: Kyogre, Lugia, Suicune, Wailord
Why It Should Be Picked: Because it sets itself better with some mons like delta stream based off of just effectiveness with these mons or with there Lore and dex entries

Name of Ability: Desolate Land
Effects: When this Pokémon enters the Battlefield, it creates a Intense Sunlight that can't be removed until this Pokémon is removed from the Field or when a Pokémon with the Ability Delta Stream or Primordial Sea enters the Battlefield
Recipients: Groudon, Ho-Oh, Camerupt, Solgaleo
Why It Should Be Picked: Because it sets itself better with some mons like delta stream and primordial based off of just effectiveness with these mons or with there Lore and dex entries

and I should ask this, with some of them can we add custom effects. like delta stream also make sense to be like a permanent tailwind until the Pokémon with the ability is removed

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Name of Ability: Delta Steam
Effects: When this Pokémon enters the Battlefield, it fills the Air with overwhelming currents that causes all Flying type weaknesses to be negated
Recipients: Drifloon evo line, Garchomp, Rayquaza, Lugia, Tornadus, Noviern, Minior, Celesteela
Why It Should Be Picked: This ability is Pretty helpful to a good amount of Pokémon that don't naturally get it, or can work based off of things like dex entries and some lore standpoints

Name of Ability: Primordial Sea
Effects: When this Pokémon enters the Battlefield, it creates a Heavy Rain that can't be removed until this Pokémon is removed from the Field or when a Pokémon with the Ability Delta Stream or Desolate Land enters the Battlefield
Recipients: Kyogre, Lugia, Suicune, Wailord
Why It Should Be Picked: Because it sets itself better with some mons like delta stream based off of just effectiveness with these mons or with there Lore and dex entries

Name of Ability: Desolate Land
Effects: When this Pokémon enters the Battlefield, it creates a Intense Sunlight that can't be removed until this Pokémon is removed from the Field or when a Pokémon with the Ability Delta Stream or Primordial Sea enters the Battlefield
Recipients: Groudon, Ho-Oh, Camerupt, Solgaleo
Why It Should Be Picked: Because it sets itself better with some mons like delta stream and primordial based off of just effectiveness with these mons or with there Lore and dex entries

and I should ask this, with some of them can we add custom effects. like delta stream also make sense to be like a permanent tailwind until the Pokémon with the ability is removed
These are being vetoed due to the extreme power of them.

Every other sub is fair game. Vote for your top 4! Voting ends in 3 days.

These are being vetoed due to the extreme power of them.

Every other sub is fair game. Vote for your top 4! Voting ends in 3 days.
umm, i basically did the effects of the original ability. that's why I asked if instead we could do different effects like tailwind instead of weakness negation

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Hey guys, time to vote :] Just thought I'd say I really enjoy this mod, its super fun to build and play with.

TheDamned's Overcoat
Paulluxx's Flower Veil
ViZar's Mold Breaker
Samtendos Unaware

My bias to small additions and defensive abilities shows pretty strongly.

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
umm, i basically did the effects of the original ability. that's why I asked if instead we could do different effects like tailwind instead of weakness negation
We made it clear that we convert Gen 4-8 stuff into Gen 3. The only custom elements or changed things we have, are the buffs we gave to the Pokémon and the temporary Multi-Attacks for Silvally.

• Magic Guard - Ema Skye
  • Moxie - Samtendo09
  • Overcoat - The Damned
  • Ice Body - Yoshiblaze

It was said that we would vote for what pokemon gets the abilities right ?, i'll just add them here just in case but if that is going to be a separated slate so be it, if these get added i would rather have them as secondary abilities instead of replacing all btw

Gen 4 Magic Guard :clefable: :clefairy: :cleffa: :alakazam: :kadabra: :abra:

Magic Bounce :natu: :Xatu: :Espeon: (those suggesting a anti roar/whirlwind ability for mr mime are just undoing the baton pass-targetted nerf btw, i would be ok with other abilities but i feel like pointing out why magic bounce mr mime is a mistake)

Ice body: :walrein: :sealeo: :dewgong: :seel: :glalie: :cryogonal:

Mold breaker: :donphan: (you all know why i want this one)

Honorable mention to overcoat, its definitively on the more viable side and its better than modern sturdy (something i would also have voted for if the limit allowed more options), i would also have voted for technician but again the limit made me rule that one out too :(. if voting for what pokemon gets them is a separate thing i would rather use the time to think these through more so don't take this distribution vote for that

Ema Skye

Work!
It was said that we would vote for what pokemon gets the abilities right ?, i'll just add them here just in case but if that is going to be a separated slate so be it, if these get added i would rather have them as secondary abilities instead of replacing all btw

Gen 4 Magic Guard :clefable: :clefairy: :cleffa: :alakazam: :kadabra: :abra:

Magic Bounce :natu: :Xatu: :Espeon: (those suggesting a anti roar/whirlwind ability for mr mime are just undoing the baton pass-targetted nerf btw, i would be ok with other abilities but i feel like pointing out why magic bounce mr mime is a mistake)

Ice body: :walrein: :sealeo: :dewgong: :seel: :glalie: :cryogonal:

Mold breaker: :donphan: (you all know why i want this one)

Honorable mention to overcoat, its definitively on the more viable side and its better than modern sturdy (something i would also have voted for if the limit allowed more options), i would also have voted for technician but again the limit made me rule that one out too :(. if voting for what pokemon gets them is a separate thing i would rather use the time to think these through more so don't take this distribution vote for that
Distribution will be the next slate. Once we know the abilities we are adding, we will distribute them.

Ema Skye

Work!
Having done some discussion with others, I am deciding to unveto the 'Primordial Sea' and 'Desolate Land' submissions from The Main Mon. These could have some practical applications if we are judicious in how we distribute them, and solve the problem of adding 'infinite weather + speed doubling ability' that will be problematic. I am open to Delta Stream in the future, but practical users within the Gen 1-3, plus our additions, will need to be considered.

ALSO, as a fun bonus and as it is a new ability to this meta, we are going to add Snow Warning into the next slate to assign it to new Pokemon. We will discuss it more in-depth when the next slate begins.

Last edited:
I guess I should do this now before I go to sleep lest I forget even though it's hard to decide beyond not wanting to vote for myself, especially with only four votes for this one and (still) not being decided on my level of (actual) involvement:

1. Yoshiblaze's Galvanize
2. Yoshiblaze's Harvest
3. Samtendo09's Unaware
4. Revenge of Depressed Gay's Defiant

Ema Skye

Work!
Forgot to give the 24 hour post but we'll close votes now.

Totals:
Galvanize: 3
Harvest: 1
Unaware: 2
Defiant: 2
Magic Guard: 4
Overcoat: 5
Triage: 1
Ice Body: 3
Desolate Land: 1
Magic Bounce: 1
Mold Breaker: 1
Moxie: 1
Technician: 1
Flower Veil: 2
Mold Breaker: 1

Our winners are:
Overcoat
Magic Guard
Galvanize
Ice Body

Part 2

With these four abilities, as well as Snow Warning, in mind, we are going to vote on new users of these abilities.

In addition to giving them new abilities, you may also provide BST buffs as well as typing and movepool changes. The BST limit remains 520, as it was in slate 2.

Votes will start in 72 hours.

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
In addition to giving them new abilities, you may also provide BST buffs as well as typing and movepool changes. The BST limit remains 515, as it was in slate 2.
The BST limit was 520 for slate 2 btw.

Anyway I really think people should watch out with Magic Guard because it renders so much useless. There are entire team archetypes dedicated to chip damage so I would avoid giving it to Clef or other good stuff.

:rs/chimecho:
Name of Pokemon: Chimecho
Typing: Psychic
Stats: 75/50/80/95/80/65 (+10 hp, +10 def)
Abilities: Levitate/Magic Guard
New Moves: Recover, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam
Why It Should Be Picked: It has Recover in old gens so, why not. With Magic Guard, Calm Mind and Recover, it can become a fairly resilient Calm Minder, especially since it's actually pretty sturdy with investment.
252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chimecho: 161-190 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
With immunity to chip damage and recover, it can take hits over the course of a game. While it may not be able to wall strong attackers like Metagross, it's able to survive a few hits from weaker attackers like Aerodactyl. Its Calm Mind sets also have access to Thunderbolt, letting it chip 2 of the most common phazers, Skarmory and Suicune, before they phaze it out. While it does have some decent defensive utility and potential as a Calm Mind sweeper, it will have some more trouble against teams carrying powerful attackers like Choice Band Metagross or against teams using a Pursuit user, such as Pursuit Tyranitar.

:bw/cryogonal:
Name of Pokémon: Cryogonal
Typing: Ice
New Stats: 80/50/50/95/135/105 (Gen 7 Stats)
New Abilities: Levitate / Ice Body
New Moves: Growth
Why It Should Be Picked: Cryogonal right now is outclassed by Regice, who already isn't good, despite having a lot of nice qualities like Knock Off, high speed, Rapid Spin, Recover, and Haze. However, Cryogonal fails to set itself apart due to Regice's much superior bulk and BoltBeam coverage. To make it a little more unique as a support Ice-type, Ice Body and the bulk improvement that Gen 7 gave it can make Cryogonal a monster in Hail. The Stallrein set of Protect/Substitute/Ice Beam/Toxic on something fast and still very specially bulky just sounds painful for the opponent and a lot of fun for you. Plus, while Cryo lacks Walrein's physical bulk, it provides a ton of options that Walrein doesn't like Knock Off, Recover, Acid Armor, and even Bind for trapping to differentiate itself. Outside of Stallrein, Growth should make Cryo a little more threatening since it can setup to muscle past some checks
Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 204 HP / 224 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam / Bind
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic / Recover

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Water Pulse / Recover
- Growth

:rs/ampharos:
Name of Pokémon: Ampharos
Typing: Electric
New Stats: 102/75/85/115/90/43 (-12 Spe, +12 HP, +10 Def)
New Abilities: Galvanize / Static
New Moves: Slack Off, Dragon Claw, Growth
Why It Should Be Picked: Ampharos is the definition of a wallbreaker. With a massive 115 Special Attack stat, Galvanize Double-Edges just shred through the tier, 2HKOing nearly everything that isn't a Blissey, Regice, Snorlax, or Ground-type, where even some resists like Breloom buckle at Double-Edge's power. However, its power isn't the only thing going for it, as it has great 102/85/90 bulk with a not terrible Defensive typing in pure Electric and access to Slack Off and Growth that allow it to shrug off hits and further bolster its wallbreaking abilities, allowing it to 2HKO Blissey after 2 boosts. However, Ampharos does come with its flaws. Namely, its stupid slow, so in combination with Sand/Hail, Double-Edge recoil, and Spikes, it'll be forced to Slack Off a lot if it has it and if it doesn't, it'll get chipped down very quickly. Plus, it's pretty prediction reliant when it can attack, since Ground-types and the likes of Swampert, Blissey, Regice, and Snorlax come in for free on Double-Edge, though Substitute makes this a little easier to handle. Lastly, Dugtrio exists and easily traps and KOes Ampharos unless Ampharos runs a ton of bulk, which the slight Defense boost helps with. Not even passing Agility to it can get past the Dugtrio problem since it's just slow enough to where it can't outspeed Dugtrio at +2 if it's Modest. Overall, a high reward but high risk Pokemon.
Ampharos @ Leftovers
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Slack Off
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute

Dugtrio Beater (Ampharos) @ Petaya Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpA
Bold Nature
- Body Slam / Return
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Growth / Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Slack Off

Ampharos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Focus Punch
- Body Slam
- Substitute
- Slack Off

:rs/roselia:
Name of Pokémon: Roselia
Typing: Grass/Poison
New Stats: 50/90/120/90/80/70 (+30 Atk, +75 Def, -10 SpA, +5 Spe)
New Abilities: Overcoat / Poison Point
New Moves: Sleep Powder, Extrasensory
Why It Should Be Picked: One of the coolest things about Overcoat is not only preventing weather damage but also prevents the user from being hit with powder moves. Since Grass-types lack an inherent immunity to powder moves, Sleep Powder Venusaur and Spore Breloom get to spam their sleep moves to their heart's desire. With this Roselia, they'll have to think twice before trying to put something to sleep. Roselia's great 50/120 physical bulk also means that it naturally checks both Venusaur and Breloom since it can put them to sleep right back with Sleep Powder or fire off an HP Fire or even Extrasensory. Roselia is still pretty weak, but Overcoat preventing passive damage is a huge boon in making it difficult to beat 1v1 without setting up. This makes Roselia off of the most terrifying Leech Seed users as Protect + Overcoat + Leech Seed gives Roselia a ton of healing if the opponent stays in, it's immune to Toxic, and can even run Substitute to be even more annoying. Also, it can off course set up Spikes like it used to, and even goon the offensive with a Swords Dance set thanks to its decent 80 Attack, though Venusaur might be better for this. Roselia also has some flaws, like being pretty passive thanks to Giga Drain's abysmal power but a move it has to run to beat Tyranitar, and its Special bulk is comparable to that of Skarmory's, which isn't great. However, Roselia should be an amazing option for defensive teams, especially those that struggle with Breloom
Roselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Substitute

Roselia @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spikes / Stun Spore
- Sleep Powder

Roselia @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Spikes
- Sleep Powder

Roselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

:rs/hitmonlee:
Name of Pokémon: Hitmonlee
Typing: Fighting
New Stats: 50/120/43/35/110/97 (+10 Spe, -10 Def)
New Abilities: Limber / Magic Guard
New Moves: Submission
Why It Should Be Picked: Most people will submit more Defensive mons with Magic Guard, so here's a more offensive idea with it. If you didn't already know, Magic Guard actually prevents recoil damage, kinda like how Rock Head does, so something with Magic Guard can spam Double-Edge with no drawback. Clefable can actually abuse this pretty well in Gen 4 with STAB Double-Edge. Here, we have a similar, with Hitmonlee being able to abuse Magic Guard Double-Edge to bust a hole in Flying and Psychic-types in one slot rather than having to predict between Rock Slide and HP Ghost. More importantly, however, Magic Guard also ignores High Jump Kick's crash recoil, which gives it no drawback. This and a little Speed boost should make Hitmonlee an adequate option as a Fighting-type. Oh, and it's a Spikes-immune mon with Rapid Spin, if that strikes your fancy
Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Double-Edge
- Mach Punch / Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Hitmonlee (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch / Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

:rs/seaking:
Name of Pokémon: Seaking
Typing: Water
New Stats: 80/80/65/92/65/98 (Atk, SpA, and SpD rearranged, +30 Spe)
New Abilities: Swift Swim / Galvanize
New Moves: Fake Out
Why It Should Be Picked: With all of the Electric-types I find to be good candidates for Galvanize submitted, I decided to look at what could benefit from Galvanize for coverage. Seaking caught my eye as, out of all of the bountiful selection of Water-types in Gen 3, it's one of the most crippled by its lack of coverage in combination with actually decent stats (after you swap its Atk and SpA), other than maybe Gorebyss. With Galvanize, Seaking has a great niche in being a Water-type that can run through other Water-types without even needing Hidden Power. Notably compared to Starmie, Seaking cleanly 2HKOes Suicune (before boosts), Milotic, and Jellicent while Starmie can only 3HKO each of them. It also boasts Special priority in Fake Out which, while very weak without STAB, can let it pick off weakened foes and adds useful chip damage. Still absolutely crushed by Blissey and unlike Starmie, it doesn't have Rapid Spin to make up for this and outside of Double-Edge, it's much weaker than Starmie and Crawdaunt, but it should be a nice option for an offensive Water-type, a good midground between Starmie and Crawdaunt. Also, it has actual Electric flavor, at least in later gens, so that's nice
Seaking @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Double-Edge
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Fake Out

Seaking @ Salac Berry / Petaya Berry
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Flail
- Substitute
- Ice Beam

:rs/dunsparce:
Name of Pokémon: Dunsparce
Typing: Normal/Dragon
New Stats: 110/80/85/80/85/45 (+10 HP, +10 Atk, +15 Def, +15 SpA, +20 SpD)
New Abilities: Overcoat / Serene Grace
New Moves: Spikes, Dragon Claw, Outrage, Slack Off
Why It Should Be Picked: Dunsparce joins the ranks of Blissey and Snorlax as premier fat Normals, setting itself apart from these two by having better mixed bulk, more resistances, immunity to sand chip, and Spikes, making it a flexible Special Wall or Curse user for teams that don't need Snorlax's offensive presence or as much bulk as Blissey. It can run a Curse set with reliable recovery, which Snorlax can't do, but it's both weaker and less specially bulky, so you probably wanna stick to defensive sets. Same thing goes for Calm Mind sets compared to Blissey
Dunsparce @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return / Flamethrower
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Slack Off

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)