Pet Mod Hoenn Gaiden - Slate 14 (Return and Rework)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1619996486741.png

Pokemon: Sableye
Type: Dark / Ghost
Stats: 60 / 85 / 95 / 85 / 95 / 40 (+10 HP, +10 Atk, +20 Def, +20 SpA, +30 SpD, -10 Spe) (BST: 460)
Abilities: Keen Eye / Magic Guard
New Moves: Yawn
Why It Should Be Picked: Despite its good typing (with no weaknesses until gen 6, as well as 3 immunities), Sableye has always been bad. This is largely due to its subpar stats and a movepool that could not make up for it. By giving it even just okay stats, more utility in its movepool, and immunity to chip damage, Sableye could prove to be a threat (hopefully not too much of a threat though). With yawn to force switch outs, decent type coverage with moves, and decent bulk to boot, Sableye could prove a good utility mon that won't be dishing out significant amounts of damage itself, but can prove useful in incentivizing the opposing player to do what you want. (I thought about giving it will o wisp, but thought that it would be broken since with moonlight and no weaknesses, almost no physical attacker could get through it.)

1619998373251.png

Pokemon: Grumpig
Type: Psychic
Stats: 100 / 35 / 85 / 105 / 120 / 55 (+20 HP, -10 Atk, +20 Def, +15 SpA, +10 SpD, -25 Spe) (BST: 500)
Abilities: Thick Fat / Overcoat
New Moves: Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt
Why It Should Be Picked: With its newly revamped stats, Grumpig can be a useful special tank utilizing leftovers, especially considering its immunity to sandstorm/hail. Due to its lack of recovery, it would need to use leftovers, but with the addition of thunder wave, it can use Extrasensory to potentially paraflinch opponents, despite its low speed. Its additional Special Attack and thunderbolt for better electric coverage than thunder punch help it do more damage to more opponents, but a combination of toxic and physical attackers can still bring it down, even considering its buffed HP.

1619999514519.png

Pokemon: Electabuzz
Type: Electric / Fighting
Stats: 80 / 90 / 50 / 100 / 90 / 110 (+15 HP, +7 Atk, -7 Def, +5 SpA, +5 SpD, +5 Spe) (BST: 520)
Abilities: Static / Galvanize
New Moves: Crunch, Extrasensory
Why It Should Be Picked: Galvanize provides many interesting opportunities for Electabuz. It can use double edge for big stab damage, body slam fora large chance to paralyze, or quick attack for extra damage against a faster pokemon. In addition, its new electric / fighting type is completely unique, and gives it stab on the many fighting type moves it can learn. It also now gets crunch and extrasensory for coverage, allowing it to potentially do some damage against the many psychic types it is now weak to.

1620001121446.png

Pokemon: Piloswine
Type: Ice / Ground
Stats: 100 / 100 / 95 / 90 / 75 / 50 (+15 Def, +30 SpA, +15 SpD) (BST: 510)
Abilities: Oblivious / Ice Body
New Moves: Shadow Ball
Why It Should Be Picked: Despite its ice typing, Piloswine could prove to be a decent physical tank with its recovery in hail, high HP, and buffed defense stat. Shadow Ball gives it some more coverage options, and its buffed Special Attack means it can make proper use of its primary typing.

1620002017596.png

Pokemon: Delibird
Type: Ice / Flying
Stats: 40 / 135 / 25 / 145 / 25 / 150 (-5 HP, +80 Atk, -20 Def, +80 SpA, -20 SpD, +75 Spe) (BST: 520)
Abilities: Vital Spirit / Snow Warning
New Moves: Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Drill Peck, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball
Why It Should Be Picked: It would be really funny.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
View attachment 337587
Type: Ice / Flying
Stats: 40 / 135 / 25 / 145 / 25 / 150 (-5 HP, +80 Atk, -20 Def, +80 SpA, -20 SpD, +75 Spe) (BST: 520)
Abilities: Vital Spirit / Snow Warning
New Moves: Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Drill Peck, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball
Why It Should Be Picked: It would be really funny.
We're going to veto this one as that stat spread is too much, even though it's a Delibird.

Congrats to the (other) winners.

I must agree with Mossy Sandwich that we should probably avoid giving Magic Guard to already good or even decent mons outside of maybe Clefable since at least with that mon it's a more known quantity (that was clearly still quite good even before it became Fairy and borderline broken); at the very least, Alakazam should probably never get Magic Guard in this mod lest it casually murder everything. I would argue the same goes for Snow Warning in part since it just got added to this Pet Mod and chips even more than Sandstream does even with Magic Guard and Overcoat added, especially with Ice Body also just added.

Of course, this is ultimately up to Ema Skye and this Pet Mod's other runners' discretion, so that's just my two cents.

That said, Xzailow's "joke" submission made me realize we could easily kill two birds with one stone on that front if we think we really need another Snow Warning user already (read: period):

Type:
/

Stats: 77 HP / 87 Atk / 66 Def / 66 SpA / 66 SpD / 103 Spe [+32 / +32 / +21 / +01 / +21 / +28] (now at 465 BST all the way from 330 BST)
Abilities: Magic Guard (replaces Hustle) / Snow Warning (replaces Vital Spirit)
New Moves: Drill Peck, Milk Drink (or just Moonlight if we want to keep Milk Drink exclusive to Miltank for now and/or give this shakier recovery), Spikes, Surf
Why It Should Be Picked: It would be really funny. I should probably be the last person submitting this given I utterly loathe Christmas and probably hate that holiday more than anyone on this site, but I figure that Delibird could and arguably should actually be seriously considered for improvement, so here we are. This was a tricky one to balance, and not just because Delibird has been a memetic loser since its introduction in Gen II as the "lucky" exclusive bearer of Present, a clearly non-returnable gift. In this mod already, even an improved Delibird has to deal with being compared to at least Articuno, Abomasnow, Cryogonal, and now Mossy Sandwich's proposed Chimeco, another usually crappy mon that still already had a full 95 BST naturally over Delibird somehow. So I had to boost Delibird in such a way as to make it useful even after its new abilities while also not obviating any of those mons, especially Abomasnow and Cryogonal.

I think this strikes a good balance despite intentionally leaving 55 additional BST on the floor. I had actually meant to boost it less initially out of caution, but its initial BST is that bad that it ended up getting almost a Mega and half's worth of additional stats. I decided to lean into focusing on its Attack and Speed the most given that the five other mons are already either better Special Attackers or overall more bulky (especially on the Special Side) or both. Besides that, I tried as usual to justify things more via flavor than just covering gaps, including its new, overall far better abilities.

Its new Attack value of 87 is by default as strong as its original base 55 Atk was with full EVs and no nature, the loss of Hustle aside, and Drill Peck was dragged from the future to take more advantage of its physical STAB. Its new HP value of 77 is similarly meant to replicate, without investment, its previously pathetic base 45 HP with full EVs. The reasonings behind its new Def, SpA, SpD, and Speed values were chosen for less scientific (read: more comical) reasons, though Delibird doubtless needed a buff to all of them, especially its pathetic Defenses. I just added a Grinch-like element to the first three, and I figured that since Satan Santa Claus is famed for his speed, Delibird could stand to be at least a bit faster. I also just figured that it would be funny if it was just faster than Garchomp if that ever got added to this Pet Mod, which is why Delibird's new base Speed is a such seemingly weird 103. (Well that and to not speed-tie the already embattled Cryogonal. [/crappy Ice mon solidarity])

Finally, I also dragged Spikes from the future so it could be a good support mon beyond "just" spinner since it (thankfully) lacks set-up moves unlike the proposed Chimeco. In theory, this makes it a somewhat legitimate alternate mon to use to Skarmory of all things, at least as far as being Flying mons with access to Spikes goes and immunity to Sand Storm goes. That Delibird was already one of the few mons to get Rapid Spin and to be immune to Hail are also some things it has over Skarmory that would matter more now, even before giving Delibird some form of instant recovery over Skarmory with Roost not existing in this Gen yet.

Those benefits and general caution are why--besides flavor--I didn't also drag Brick Break and Destiny Bond from the future for Delibird despite all the help it needs in general since adding too much at once would doubtless break something. Additionally, this should be able to be spinblocked or at least forced to choose between HP Fighting or HP Ghost instead of getting easy Fighting & Ghost coverage, especially if it's going to potentially be graced by Magic Guard, which it will likely use more than Snow Warning, and if Cryogonal is going to have to compete with it. I still worry a bit about Abomasnow more though, which was another reason not to buff Delibird too much. (Surf is mostly just there for flavor, which at least makes more sense than Delibird innately getting Focus Punch for whatever reason.)

So, yeah, one bird, two stones, or something like that.

I may submit more mons (with far shorter, single-paragraph explanations) for this ability distribution in this same post, but I'm feeling a bit uncreative as of late, and that's enough blathering from me besides, so I'll end it here for now and edit those in later if I propose them at all. Stay safe.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
:rs/illumise:
Name of Pokémon: Illumise
Typing: Bug / Electric
New Stats: 65 HP / 47 ATK / 75 DEF / 93 SpA / 95 SpD / 95 Spe (Comparison from Gen 3 stats: +20 Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense, +10 Speed)
New Abilities: Oblivious / Galvanize
New Moves: Calm Mind
Why It Should Be Picked: While still unable to take advantage of its Bug STAB, it compensate with a very powerful STAB Electric in the form of Galvanize Double-Edge. Despite the middling stats, Illumise is fast enough to a fair amount of OU threats, like Gyarados, Milotic and Suicune, and access of Calm Mind will open up sweeping potentials.

:rs/volbeat:
Name of Pokémon: Volbeat
Typing: Bug / Electric
New Stats: 65 HP / 103 ATK / 73 DEF / 47 SpA / 55 SpD / 127 Spe (Comparison from Gen 3 stats: +30 Attack, +18 Defense, -20 Special Defense, 42 Speed)
New Abilities: Swarm / Overcoat
New Moves: Fly
Why It Should Be Picked: Overcoat give it so it cannot be chipped away by Sandstorm or Hail, and with Brick Break + Signal Beam, it can threaten both Tyranitar and Abomasnow respectively. While faster Speed means even more threatening Baton Pass support, its Special Attack remains abysmal to use, which deprives it of Electric STAB, although it does give it neutrality against Flying, and still is a lot faster than Heracross, the other physical-oriented Bug-type Pokémon.

Name of Pokemon: Cloyster
Typing: Water
Stats: 80 / 55 / 150 / 110 / 35 / 95
New Abilities: Overcoat / Shell Armor
New Moves: Hydro Pump
Why It Should Be Picked: Cloyster has always been a low tier OU but with a stat overhall and the removal of it's Ice typing it can rise the rankings. It's set's itself apart from other waters with spikes and it's great speed and It's set's itself apart from other spikes by being a offensive spiker that drowns Claydol with water stab. Cloyster fit's on more offensive teams that need a soft check to physical attackers but can't afford a passive spiker like Skarm or Forre. Overcoat also gives it the Pert-Like trat of healing in sand which give it advantage over other offensive waters like Starmie

Last edited:
Name of pokemon: Nosepass :Nosepass:
Typing: Rock, Electric
New Stats:
40/25/135/95/60/30(+50 special attack, -30 special defense, -20 attack )
New abilities: Sturdy/ Galvanize
New moves: nope
Why it should be used:
This thing tanks but also does big damage. Suprisingly, this thing ALSO tanks eq from a claydol even with its type. (W.I.P)

Last edited:

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
:rs/exeggutor:
Typing:Grass/Psychic
Stats:95/85/85/125/85/55(Gen 7 Buffs, moved 10 of its attack into spedef)
New Ability:Overcoat
New Moves:None
Description:Hopefully this saves the palm tree from borderline, it is now immune to powder moves and weather damage so its got quite a bit going for it.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
:poliwrath:
Name of Pokemon: Poliwrath
Typing: Water/Fighting
Stats: 90/100/95/70/90/70 (Atk+15)
New Abilities: Overcoat / Damp
New Moves: Cross Chop, Superpower, Rock Slide, Slack Off
Why It Should Be Picked: Poliwrath ends up feeling a lot like Swampert in that it's an offensive bulky-Water with a sand immunity. While Swampert beats it in every stat, Swampert doesn't get recovery for offensive sets, and Poliwrath also gets Haze utility for offensive sets.

:lanturn:
Name of Pokemon: Lanturn
Typing: Water/Electric
Stats: 125 / 67 / 67 / 86 / 86 / 71 [502 BST]
New Abilities: Volt Absorb / Galvanize
New Moves: Body Slam
Why It Should Be Picked: A bulky Water that beats other bulky waters (ignoring Swampert...)! Galvanize Body Slam gives Lanturn a strong offensive move to punish Waters with, while having coverage through Water STAB to break the Grounds.

:ledian:
Name of Pokemon: Ledian
Typing: Bug/Psychic
Stats: 55 / 55 / 55 / 95 / 130 / 105 [495 BST]
New Abilities: Early Bird / Magic Guard
New Moves: Tail Glow, Psychic, Fire Punch
Why It Should Be Picked: what if Ledian became a stallbreaker? Magic Guard makes it immune to all components of TSS teams, and lets it set up without caring about status. Tail Glow also gives it a niche because it's normally exclusive to Volbeat. Psychic + BoltBeam punches give it the coverage it needs. Tail Glow passing is also another niche if you don't want to sweep.

:plusle:
Name of Pokemon: Plusle
Typing: Electric/Fire
Stats: 80 / 60 / 60 / 95 / 85 / 105 [485 BST]
New Abilities: Galvanize / Flash Fire
New Moves: Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Will-o-Wisp
Why It Should Be Picked: This one is kind of weird but here's the explanation. Offensive Electrics are normally walled by Fire-types, so this one gets the additional STAB to break Grass-types. However, supportive Fire-types are also basically non-existed, and with Plusle bringing Wish support as a Fire-type, it's also a Fire-type with a recovery move which is unique to it, and gives it a way to help out its team.

:minun:
Name of Pokemon: Minun
Typing: Electric/Poison
Stats: 80 / 60 / 60 / 85 / 95 / 105 [485 BST]
New Abilities: Volt Absorb / Overcoat
New Moves: Sludge Bomb, Acid Armor, Haze
Why It Should Be Picked: So Electric/Poison is a deceptively good type combo for a defensive Pokemon, leaving it with only two weaknesses (Psychic and Ground). While it doesn't help offensively, it does give Minun some new tools to play with, such as a Toxic immunity. As a result, while 80/60/95 defences don't seem great, it's hard to break down with the Toxic immunity as well as access to Wish. Further, with access to Overcoat, it's also immune to Sand, pushing it further into this role of a surprisingly resilient tank. Overcoat also makes it immune to Spore and with resistances to Breloom's STABs, it can force it out rather easily.

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
:jynx:
Name of Pokemon: Jynx
Typing: Ice/Psychic
Stats: no change
New Abilities: Oblivious / Magic Bounce
New Moves: None
Why It Should Be Picked: Jynx is a BL threat in OU, but lacks ways of switching in as its so frail. Magic Bounce affords new switchin opportunities for Jynx, such as switching into Spore, Spikes or Toxic. It also ensures that a potential MBounce mon doesn't get Baton Pass to pivot in and out and be immune to Roar/Whirlwind.
Huh... Magic Bounce didn't win

Paulluxx

Voting time:
Ice Body:Cryogonal, Pilowswine
Magic Guard:Ledian, Delibird, Chimecho
Overcoat:Poliwrath, Exeggutor, Minun
Snow Warning:Delibird
Galvanize:Fabio(Ampharos), Plusle, Illumise,

Ice Body: Cryogonal, Piloswine
Magic Guard: Hitmonlee, Sableye, Ledian
Overcoat: Dunsparce, Roselia, Minun
Snow Warning: Delibird
Galvanize: Ampharos, Electabuzz, Plusle

Is this a points-based vote or most votes win-type vote? These votes assume the former

Ice Body: Piloswine, Cryogonal
Magic Guard: Ledian, Hitmonlee, Sableye
Overcoat: Grumpig, Roselia, Dunsparce
Galvanize: Illumise, Ampharos, Lanturn

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Magic Guard: Ledian, Sableye, Hitmonlee
Overcoat: Grumpig, Roselia, Dunsparce
Galvanize: Illumise, Ampharos, Lanturn

The amount of Overcoat and Galvanize mons made those two difficult to pick between and also made me wish that I had thought of something (I liked) for Ice Body too. Oh well.

Magic Guard: Chimecho, Sableye, Ledian
Overcoat: Volbeat, Cloyster, Minun
Galvanize Seaking, Illumise, Plusle

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ice Body: Piloswine, Cryogonal
Overcoat: Grumpig, Volbeat, Cloyster
Snow Warning: Skip (I do not think we should have multiple hail setters)
Galvanize: Seaking, Electabuzz, Illumise

Ema Skye

Work!
Ahaha, I almost forgot!

Winners:
Ice Body: Croyogonal, Piloswine
Overcoat: Roselia, Dunsparce, Grumpig, Volbeat, Cloyster, Minun
Galvanize: Illumise, Ampharos, Plusle, Lanturn

We're going to have a discussion slate for a bit. I'd like to try and have a tour this weekend.

The past two slates have been coded on DH so please feel free to give this meta a try.

Slate 4 will be another devamp slate, like Slate 1 was.

Congrats to the (other) winners. I imagine the amount of mons is due to ties.

I can't and thus for won't comment much for once due to still not trying to out the meta like the lazy bum I am. I doubt I'll have my crap together before June unfortunately.

Of everything that won, at a glance, the only thing I'm really worried about is Magic Guard Hitmonlee, especially given how good it makes its Endure set in theory. Other than that, if Snow Warning ends up being too much on the new Delibird, then we should probably just change it back to Vital Spirit or even Hustle; either way, Magic Guard on Delibird should be fine, especially if it "only" gets Moonlight instead of Milk Drink. Still, I guess it remains to be seen though.

I look forward to Slate 4 since I already have an idea for an underwhelming (Gen 7) mon to port.

Paulluxx

I have been really enjoying this meta, and I'd just like to extend a thanks for Ema and ViZar for running it, because its an especially fascinating and refreshing metagame.

Really excited to test out snow warning Delibird, I don't think it'll be that much of an issue cause Aerodactyl will just rise to combat it, but if delibird is broken in our meta, that would be really funny. Really excited to try out Galvanize Ampharos as well.

In general, thanks to all. And I'm really excited for a tour this weekend :]

Ema Skye

Work!
Hello, I am here finally with Slate 4!

This is another devamp slate!

Pick a mon from Gens 4-8 and adapt them for this meta. Unlike slate 1, you may give them the abilities we introduced in Slate 3 if you want, since they are not part of our meta.

Have fun! Slate will end (realistically) when I get reminded to end the slate again, so probably in 4 days ish.

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:bw/mandibuzz:
Name of Pokemon: Mandibuzz
Typing:

Stats: 110 / 65 / 105 / 55 / 95 / 80 (510)
Abilities: Keen Eye / Overcoat
Aerial Ace, Drill Peck
Heat Wave, Knock Off
Taunt, Toxic
Brave Bird, U-turn
Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot
Roost, Tailwind

Why It Should Be Picked: W.I.P.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 128 SpD / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Toxic

:bw/golurk:
Name of Pokemon: Golurk
Typing:

Stats: 100 / 125 / 80 / 55 / 80 / 55 (495)
Abilities: Pressure / Sand Veil
Earthquake, Rock Slide, Self-Destruct, Shadow Ball, Superpower
Toxic, Trick
Close Combat, Poltergeist
Stealth Rock

Golurk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

:sm/incineroar:
Name of Pokemon: Incineroar
Typing:

Stats: 95 / 115 / 90 / 80 / 90 / 60 (530)
Abilities: Blaze / Intimidate
Earthquake, Superpower
Crunch, Flamethrower, HP Grass, HP Ice, Knock Off, Thunder Punch
Bulk Up, Swords Dance, Taunt, Will-O-Wisp
Close Combat, U-turn
Nasty Plot

Incineroar @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 144 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-O-Wisp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)