Smogon VGC PL - Commencement

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
1622497680028.png
art is coming soon
1622497688950.png

Hello everyone! It is my pleasure to announce that this year Smogon VGC will be putting out its first solo premier league, composing of 8 player slots and 6 completely original teams! The formats played will consist of 5 VGC 21 current series slots, as well as one slot each for VGC 2017, VGC 2018, and VGC 2019. We'll have 5 weeks of regular round robin play followed by a top 3 playoff, with the first seed from the round robin stage earning a direct bye to the finals. This tournament is a huge first for many reasons, one being the fact that Smogon VGC has finally reached enough activity to sustain its own premier league, with another being that this is a rare chance for past formats to have significant impact in a team tournament that isn't world cup style. I'm very pleased to say that this tournament will be hosted on a combined effort between myself and Netherious with some help from the rest of the VGC mod team. With that out of the way, let's get down to business.

Some important general rules:
  1. Managers are allowed one (1) Assistant Manager.
  2. Managers and Assistant Managers may self-purchase prior to auction for 10,000 credits each.
  3. There will be eight (8) starters and three (3) substitutes: the minimum number of players on a team is eleven (11).
  4. There will be no midseason.
  5. There will be a severe penalty for any team that picks up a known alt of a banned player, or any player masquerading as another person. It is important to establish that both parties will be penalized immediately and appropriately if they are found doing so.
Format List:
  1. VGC 2021 Series 9 :spectrier:
  2. VGC 2021 Series 9 :glastrier:
  3. VGC 2021 Series 9 :urshifu-gmax:
  4. VGC 2021 Series 9 :urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax:
  5. VGC 2021 Series 9 :regieleki:
  6. VGC 2019 Ultra Series * :xerneas:
  7. VGC 2018 :gengar-mega:
  8. VGC 2017 :arcanine:
* players will be allowed to play VGC 2019 Sun or Moon series if and only if both players agree and let the host team know in advance of the match. This rule does not extend to any generation 8 VGC formats.

Auction:
The general auction format and rules will be similar any other auction draft. All teams will have a bank of 120,000 credits. The starting price at auction for all players is 3,000 credits. Additionally, managers may buy themselves prior to the auction for 10,000 credits, and may also purchase an assistant manager for an additional 10,000 credits.

Trades:
The intent to trade a player must be communicated to the VGCPL host team prior to the start of Week 1. Trades will not be effective until the host receives identical confirmation from both managers.

Tournament Scoring and Seeding:
The tournament will have six teams playing each other in pools to determine seeding. The top three seeds will advance to playoffs. Each week teams will either earn 2, 1, or 0 points based on a win, tie, or loss respectively. Battle difference will be cumulated for the purposes of tiebreaking seed placement when points are equal. If a tie occurs in seeding, or in semifinals or finals, the winning team will be decided by a tiebreaker.

Additional Notes:

A replay / log / VOD / YouTube video must be saved of your match or it will be considered invalid. No exceptions.
General tournament rules and regulations apply. Pokemon Showdown is the default avenue for all metagames unless both parties agree. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS! you must be able to provide one of the above to validate your match. All matches are best of three with team lock on.

A shoutout to Ubers because I shamelessly stole a majority of the latter half of this post from their forum. Manager signups will be going live soon! Let's bring on the madness!

Last edited:

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
just so this thread doesn’t devolve into only this, 15 will not be part of the official roster. including both 15 and 16 felt like it’d be too hard to do, especially if newer managers are looking to fill those slots. 16 should be in if 15 is in because having the gap in chronology in the format list is pretty ugly imo.

There’s also the argument someone could make that 14 is left out rather arbitrarily, and tbh theyre pretty much right, but 14 has similar, if not worse, issues with filling slots.

I like this format a lot. The gen 7 rep is cool, the matches played per week is great, and the current format is still the majority decider in weeks. Don’t really think we could’ve picked a better format honestly

edit:

u can def keep shitposting in this thread just wanna make sure everyone's on the same page xoxo

Last edited:
16 became much less de-centralized come the end of the format, when people finally had consistent strategies to beat the big 6. 15 was centralized the entire time. IMO it’s fine to include neither for the inaugural tournament.

Thank you so much for all your hard work Zee - very happy to see VGC being revitalized on Smogon.

Borghi

Banana eater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey everyone! The Lumiose Luxray are looking for people who are interested in joining the team! Aldrich and myself are super excited to be managing this first season, and we want people who match our energy!

If you're interested, please fill out our
interest form!

In addition, Aldrich and Myself will be hosting a tryout tournament on Wednesday June 16th at 5pm UTC! You can join our discord for more information here

Spurrific

is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Community Leader
Hey all, I'm a manager of the Geosenge GOGOATS alongside emforbes! We're longtime VGC players with a bit of experience on Smogon as well.

Our team is looking for players who are willing to be active in prep and help each other improve every week. If you're interested in being drafted, we encourage you to let us know your experience in competitive Pokemon on our interest form.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)