Gen 1 Muk (NU Partial Rewrite) [QC 1/1] [GP 0/1]

LTG

It’s always gaming time
is a Pre-Contributor
[OVERVIEW]

Muk has a few things going for it in NU. It has a very high HP stat, a decent movepool with wide coverage, and good Attack stat that gives it the second strongest Explosion in the tier. Muk's coverage allows it to pick and choose which foes it wants to check, allowing it to provide decent support to any team that needs it. However, its poor typing and low Speed make it susceptible to notable offensive threats such as Nidoking and Mr. Mime, which both 2HKO it. When it comes to Explosion users in NU, there is Golem, which is much stronger, has better STAB moves, is physically bulkier, and resists Fire. However, Muk has a niche over Golem thanks to its coverage, slightly better Speed, much better special bulk, and lack of weaknesses to Water and Ice.

[SET]

Name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Sludge / Body Slam
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Mega Drain
move 4: Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]

Sludge is Muk's strongest attack that does not have a drawback, and it has the added chance of poisoning foes to push them into KO range. Alternatively, Body Slam is a decently strong attack that can hit Poison-resistant Pokemon somewhat hard, such as the aforementioned Nidoking, while also threatening switch-ins with paralysis. Sludge can support Wrap and Fire Spin cores by increasing passive damage over time, while Body Slam can support slow powerhouses such as Kingler and Golem. Thunderbolt hits certain Water- and Flying-types, such as Blastoise and Aerodactyl, harder than other moves. Mega Drain hits the Explosion-resistant Golem and Kabutops as hard as possible, 3HKOing both, while also giving longevity. Finally, Explosion is Muk's best asset, dealing massive damage to anything that does not resist it and KOing many threats after some chip damage. It also gives a free switch into a frail sweeper such as Aerodactyl or Rapidash when used, as well as making sure paralysis does not completely disable Muk.

Hyper Beam can allow Muk to pick off weakened Pokemon that would otherwise live another attack. Fire Blast hits Venomoth, Vileplume, and Weepinbell hard, with a small chance to 2HKO Weepinbell. It also comes with a nice 30.1% chance to burn, allowing Muk to cripple physical attackers that switch in and nullify Wrap users. Finally, Haze is a niche option to mess with Amnesia sweepers like Poliwhirl and Slowpoke.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[LTG, 473639]]
- Quality checked by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353], [phoopes, 96315], [Enigami, 233818]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
La Muk.png
Heyo! I am here to look over the sludgy boi.
La Muk.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Muk has a few things going for it in NU. It has a very high HP stat, a good Attack stat, and a decent movepool that allows it to choose coverage moves to run. It also possesses one of the strongest Explosions in the tier.
I'm going to suggest changing this to something "Muk has a few things going for it in NU. It has a very high HP stat, a decent movepool with a wide variety of useful coverage options, and good Attack stat that gives it the second strongest Explosion in the tier." for a few reasons.
"a decent movepool that allows it to choose coverage moves" is odd as that describes any moveset, yes you can choose coverage moves but that doesn't really add anything no? Going in depth on why its important due to the increased options is important imo. The rest of the changes are just to make it flow better.

Its defenses are only mediocre, and, along with its low Speed, this means it is easily revenge killed by super effective coverage. It is outsped by two of the tier's offensive powerhouses, Nidoking and Mr. Mime, and is 2HKOed by both of them.
Its defenses are honestly pretty solid, the main issue is that the typing just leaves it with few chances to take advantage of it. Perhaps "Its poor typing and low speed make it susceptable to notable offensive threats such as Nidoking and Mr. Mime, as it is 2HKOed by both of them." or something along those lines. In general the OG sentences are just kinda wordy.

When it comes to Poison-types in NU, there is Nidoking, who is faster and has more coverage options, better Special, and STAB Earthquake. However, Muk's access to Explosion, better attack, and lack of weaknesses to Water and Ice do give it a niche over Nidoking, however small it may be.
This part confuses me a bit. Yes, Nidoking is a better Poison-type, but you aren't using either for their typing as a niche. It's different from not using Magmar because of other Fires for example. They are completely different pokemon, and its hard for me to justify wanting to establish such an odd comparison as being important. One is a physically bulky boomer while the other is a fast mixed attacking sweeper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for right now, i'll likely have more to say later. Notify me whenever this gets implemented and i'll look at it some more.

Reactions: LTG

LTG

It’s always gaming time
is a Pre-Contributor
View attachment 346038 Heyo! I am here to look over the sludgy boi. View attachment 346038

I'm going to suggest changing this to something "Muk has a few things going for it in NU. It has a very high HP stat, a decent movepool with a wide variety of useful coverage options, and good Attack stat that gives it the second strongest Explosion in the tier." for a few reasons.
"a decent movepool that allows it to choose coverage moves" is odd as that describes any moveset, yes you can choose coverage moves but that doesn't really add anything no? Going in depth on why its important due to the increased options is important imo. The rest of the changes are just to make it flow better.

Its defenses are honestly pretty solid, the main issue is that the typing just leaves it with few chances to take advantage of it. Perhaps "Its poor typing and low speed make it susceptable to notable offensive threats such as Nidoking and Mr. Mime, as it is 2HKOed by both of them." or something along those lines. In general the OG sentences are just kinda wordy.

This part confuses me a bit. Yes, Nidoking is a better Poison-type, but you aren't using either for their typing as a niche. It's different from not using Magmar because of other Fires for example. They are completely different pokemon, and its hard for me to justify wanting to establish such an odd comparison as being important. One is a physically bulky boomer while the other is a fast mixed attacking sweeper.

That's it for right now, i'll likely have more to say later. Notify me whenever this gets implemented and i'll look at it some more.
Implemented, changed the comparison to Nidoking to a comparison to Golem as they are both "physically bulky boomers," as you put it.

Reactions: pac
Golem is way to prominent in NU for Muk to get away with not running Mega Drain. Pretty much the only real reason to use Muk in NU is for its massive Explosion, and having nothing to handle the tier's best Rock-type is setting Muk up for failure. Mega Drain also covers Kabutops, helping Muk clear its way through NUs Explosion resists. It should be atleast slashed on the main set for NU Muk, if not mandatory alongside Explosion.

LTG

It’s always gaming time
is a Pre-Contributor
Golem is way to prominent in NU for Muk to get away with not running Mega Drain. Pretty much the only real reason to use Muk in NU is for its massive Explosion, and having nothing to handle the tier's best Rock-type is setting Muk up for failure. Mega Drain also covers Kabutops, helping Muk clear its way through NUs Explosion resists. It should be atleast slashed on the main set for NU Muk, if not mandatory alongside Explosion.
Fixed this up a bit, tell me what you think

I like it, I think it'd make more sense for Thunderbolt to have its own slot and slash Body Slam and Sludge instead. They're both physical moves that spread status, so I think it'd make the most sense to focus on one or the other based on your team.

Sludge provides more physical damage and Poison status, which synergizes with Wrap, Fire Spin and fast Substitute users, while Body Slam is weaker but helps to support slow powerhouses like Golem and Kingler.

LTG

It’s always gaming time
is a Pre-Contributor
I like it, I think it'd make more sense for Thunderbolt to have its own slot and slash Body Slam and Sludge instead. They're both physical moves that spread status, so I think it'd make the most sense to focus on one or the other based on your team.

Sludge provides more physical damage and Poison status, which synergizes with Wrap, Fire Spin and fast Substitute users, while Body Slam is weaker but helps to support slow powerhouses like Golem and Kingler.
Implemented.

"Body Slam is a decently strong attack that can hit Poison-resistant Pokemon somewhat hard, such as the aforementioned Nidoking and Mr. Mime"
Mr. Mime isn't a Poison resist ;)

Fix that and it looks great to me, QC 1/1

LTG

It’s always gaming time
is a Pre-Contributor
"Body Slam is a decently strong attack that can hit Poison-resistant Pokemon somewhat hard, such as the aforementioned Nidoking and Mr. Mime"
Mr. Mime isn't a Poison resist ;)

Fix that and it looks great to me, QC 1/1
Oops my bad lol, I removed that mention, other than that it's marked 1/1 and sent to gp!

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Muk has a few things going for it in NU. It has a very high HP stat, a decent movepool with a wide variety of useful coverage options, wide coverage, and good Attack stat that gives it the second strongest Explosion in the tier. Muk's coverage allows it to pick and choose which foes it wants to check, allowing it to provide decent support to any team that needs it. However, its poor typing and low Speed make it susceptible to notable offensive threats such as Nidoking and Mr. Mime, and it is 2HKOed by both of them. which both 2HKO it. When it comes to Explosion users in NU, there is Golem, who which is much stronger, has better STAB moves, is physically bulkier, and resists Fire. However, Muk has a niche over Golem thanks to its coverage, slightly better Speed, much better special bulk, and lack of weaknesses to Water and Ice.

[SET]

Name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Sludge / Body Slam
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Mega Drain
move 4: Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]

Sludge is Muk's strongest attack that does not have a drawback, and it has the added chance of poisoning foes to push them into KO range. Alternatively, Body Slam is a decently strong attack that can hit Poison-resistant Pokemon somewhat hard, such as the aforementioned Nidoking, while also threatening switch-ins with paralysis. Sludge can support Wrap and Fire Spin cores by increasing passive damage over time, while Body Slam can support slow powerhouses such as Kingler and Golem. Thunderbolt hits certain Water- and Flying-types, such as Blastoise and Aerodactyl, harder than other moves. Mega Drain hits Explosion resists the Explosion-resistant Golem and Kabutops as hard as possible, 3HKOing both, while also helping Muk live longer. giving longevity. Finally, Explosion is Muk's best asset, dealing massive damage to anything that does not resist it and KOing many threats after some chip damage. It also gives a free switch into a frail sweeper such as Aerodactyl or Rapidash when used, as well as making sure paralysis does not completely disable Muk.

Hyper Beam can allow Muk to pick off weakened Pokemon that would otherwise live another attack. Fire Blast is an option that allows Muk to hit hits Venomoth, Vileplume, and Weepinbell hard, with a small chance to 2HKO Weepinbell. It also comes with a nice 30.1% chance to burn, allowing Muk to cripple physical attackers that switch in and nullifying Wrap users. Finally, Haze is a niche option that allows Muk to mess with Amnesia sweepers like Poliwhirl and Slowpoke.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[LTG, 473639]]
- Quality checked by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353], [phoopes, 96315], [Enigami, 233818]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Corrin1.gif
1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)