Tournament CAPPL VII Commencement Thread

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
CAPPL VII Commencement
[art by Shadowshocker]
1624320939012.png

We made it pals, with the draft finally finished CAPPL VII is ready to commence. Week one will begin on Sunday, June 27th. Please use this thread to discuss and hype up anything to do with the tour. Keep things civil though, don't attack other people or post things that have nothing to do with CAPPL.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
BAD PRS WOOO!!

14.gif
#1 Team Solo Miasmaw
14.gif

Decently reminiscent of Snake Draft's Libras, in that it has a good mix of builders and pilots; SHSP+D2+Sun is a solid enough SS building core, Lunala, SEA, and Avery can all pilot to a solid level too. RSQ's also had a ton of inspiring performances as of late and I'm excited to see how they reflect on this tour. SHSP's proficiency in all 3 generations along with the well-rounded draft both in terms of tier variety and piloting. The team's very held back by the fact that Abhi's in it, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did poorly solely off that.

1624474703947.png
#2 Ol' Reliable Chromeras
1624474574699.png

God I'm going to get flamed for this take. This draft has an insane amount of depth I think; Darek and crying are both some of the best SS CAP players currently, Nalo just made the finals of his first CAP ssnl, Luirro and Max are both extremely convincing pilots, againa's probably one of the best options for the Bo3 slot in the entire draft pool, and they've got both Spitfire and Brambane on top of that. Of course there's a ton of ifs with this draft, considering both Nalo and crying are relatively inconsistent players, and the chat environment might suffer from the sheer number of players that probably have little to no chemistry, but I think the height of the ceiling makes up for that.

:ss/caribolt: #3 Thundering Caribolts :ss/caribolt:
This draft has what is easily the best building core in the game: Jay, Spoo, and quz are easily in the top 5 CAP builders. However, the pilot pool is a teensy bit sketchy, and I dont think any of the non-CAP players are super standout, other than maybe Chazm and DVS. I could see there being a few struggles with ORAS and the Bo3 slot since I think this team's best ORAS players are a lot better at SS, but this team does have some things going for it and I'm excited to see where it lands

:ss/snaelstrom: #4 Surging Snaelstroms / Impermeable Plasmantas :ss/plasmanta:
The Snaels have what is IMO the weirdest draft in the tournament, with a pretty high ceiling but an abyssal floor. Capsolo, Lily, Fc, and Jordy are probably the best pilots in the pool, but your SS support is literally just... stresh (and Gravity Monkey). 4 of your slots are going to have to be built basically entirely by stresh(and Gravity Monkey), and the same applies for SM with Jho. ESM's one of the best ORASers in the pool, but your Bo3 slot is left pretty dire, and the only name i could see filling it is Jordy, who doesn't seem to be willing to invest a ton of time into this tour. I also doubt the RWW buy is going anywhere which is :X. If this team can somehow pull off the building then it's easy contender for #1 but I'm very skeptical of that happening.

The Mantas have a decently well rounded draft that doesnt really have any obvious problems, but I think a lot of their best players are either going through a rough patch (snake/voltage) or are very inconsistent/question-marky as starters (dex/velvet/roxiee/neomon/cbrevan/binpin). DLC's probably the most standout player, with solid performances in the seasonal and the rigged tour. The non-CAP pilots (Esta and maroon) are solid but not standout. I don't think a last place ranking is super fair to the mantas, but I have a hard time justifying putting them over anyone else. I do still think they're a contender for winning the tour though, and am excited to see how they do

Last edited:

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader

:ss/snaelstrom: #4 Surging Snaelstroms / Impenetrable Plasmantas :ss/plasmanta:
The Snaels have what is IMO the weirdest draft in the tournament, with a decently high ceiling but an abyssal floor. Capsolo, Lily, Fc, and Jordy are probably the best pilots in the pool, but your SS support is literally just... stresh (and Gravity Monkey). 4 of your slots are going to have to be built basically entirely by stresh(and Gravity Monkey), and the same applies for SM with Jho. ESM's one of the best ORASers in the pool, but your Bo3 slot is left pretty dire, and the only name i could see filling it is Jordy, who doesn't seem to be willing to invest a ton of time into this tour. I also doubt the RWW buy is going anywhere which is :X. If this team can somehow pull off the building then it's easy contender for #1 but I'm very skeptical of that happening.
wendy-600x370.png

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor
fuck it, PR- I wont rank my team because I wanna pretend like i'm unbiased (#TSMWIN by the way)

1: :snaelstrom: Snaels on paper are a huge threat. Jordy in SM is pretty self explanatory, and I'm very interested to see what he cooks up for this tour. The pilots on the team are flatly pretty amazing- Lily, ESM, Skysolo, etc. I'm mostly curious about how the SS slots perform, whoever they end up being- if the rumors are true of big man Jho being in charge of SS builds, ignore this ranking and bring Iron Defense Skarmory

2: :whimsicott: I'm not sure there's a stronger start to a team in this field than what the Weathermen can lead off the order with. Lasen, Rabia and Number Man have cemented themselves as top names and also can provide an insane amount of support. After those three, though, I worry there could be a level of a drop off, but with that powerful support this team should be a title contender.

3: :Caribolt: The Caribolts have a strong start as well, between their managers and bigger pickups like Quz. I think a lot of this teams success has to come from them, as I'm not particularly high on some of their depth. I'm also quite interested in how their lineup ends up, as I think they're more flexible than you'd think at first glance.

4: (I couldn't get the chromera mini to work OOPS) Chromera's I think have a lot of pop off potential, but im most worried ab consistency with this squad. Crying has had pretty incredible results inside and out of CAP, and im quite excited to see them in a team tour here. Darek was one of the biggest stars of Snake, though results as of late have been difficult for him. Their managers have had highs and lows, as have some other members of the team, and I think that they have to bank on hitting a lot of their highs here.

5: :plasmanta: Mantas feel like a relatively consistent team that can lack a bit of a punch. Very curious to see the construction of their lineup, cause I'm not quite sure from preview who's going where. This could be the perfect situation for some of their players, namely Snake, to thrive in a solid team environment and hopefully reach some of their past highs.

Overall, I think of the other 5 teams, 1-3 are very close, honestly. Hard to rank a direct top of the field, as they all have their really solid points and potential holes, but it looks like we're in for a very fun, very competitive tour.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

The Mantas have a decently well rounded draft that doesnt really have any obvious problems, but I think a lot of their best players are either going through a rough patch (snake/voltage) or are very inconsistent/question-marky as starters (dex/velvet/roxiee/neomon/cbrevan/binpin). DLC's probably the most standout player, with solid performances in the seasonal, playtest and the rigged tour. The non-CAP pilots (Esta and maroon) are solid but not standout. I don't think a last place ranking is super fair to the mantas, but I have a hard time justifying putting them over anyone else. I do still think they're a contender for winning the tour though, and am excited to see how they do

Damn I'm getting credit for the playtest I didn't even join that's how I know I'm good

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Lemme further explain why the Mantas will win with my pretty lack luster knowledge on the players of the team.

Snakerattler: I've seen snake play on multiple occasions and he's either washed now which I doubt because I think we're around the same age, or he's still really good.

Voltage: I've seen Voltage play multiple times as well. He was great in NFEPL last summer which wasn't even his main tier iirc. Idk what he plays here in CAP but the dudes great.

Maroon: names familiar pretty sure they're good

Neomon: incredible player. They continously have good showings in a plethora of Team tours and individual tours.

AM: He's amazing as long as he isn't washed. I doubt he's washed as he's always been a top player back in the day.

Cbrevan: dude it's CBrevan. I remember being 15 and this man was great.

Can't have shit in detroit: He did well last year iirc. I thought he mailed LC or BW and if thats in this PL I would assume he'd do very well.

Velvet: I think Velvet played for me in NFEPL I can't really remember but she's mediocre if not good. I can see her squeezing out some wins in the tour.

Everyone else I don't know or can't remember.

EDIT: I can see them struggling with the Caribolts but other than that I think they'll squeak out wins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)