Not open for further replies.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
1625478645031.png

art by Kaiju Bunny
World Cup of 1v1 V
Round 1

>>Spreadsheet<<

Welcome all to the fifth annual World Cup of 1v1. This year, 8 teams are vying for the glorious title of World Champions. Who will rise to the top in the tournament of nations? It's time to find out!

Format:

Teams consist of eight starters, four substitutes, and one or two captains. The tiers for this year are: SS 1v1 Bo7, SS 1v1 (x2), SM 1v1 (x2), ORAS 1v1, BW 1v1, DPP 1v1.

In this first round, players will be randomly placed into groups of four, where they will battle all three of their opponents.

Six points will be awarded for first place, four for second place, and two for third place in a division. If there is a tie for any position, the total number of points between those two positions will be split equally among the tied parties. For example, if two people are tied for first place, they will split ten (six for first + four for second) points between them for a total of five points each.

Teams will be ranked based on records, rather than points. This means the four teams with the best records will qualify for the semifinals of the World Cup of 1v1 V. If two or more teams within the top three have identical records, points will be used to sort out the tiebreaks. However, if there is a tie in records for the last spot, points will be ignored and the teams will face off in a tiebreak series. The tiebreak will consist of three games: One SS Bo7 game and one tier chosen by each team (which could be SS again). The higher seed (based on points for Round 1) will get second pick of tier.

Substitution:

This year we have four subs per roster, and Captains may use them as they see fit. Keep in mind once a player is subbed out, they cannot be subbed back into the same round, but can be put back onto the roster for next round.

Substitutions will be not be allowed in tiebreak series unless both teams agree (or TDs enforce double sub). We will be reluctant to give activity wins to those who are clearly fishing for them.

Simulator:

Smogtours is generally preferred for tournament games, but Pokémon Showdown is fine as well.

Standard Tournament Rules and Procedures:
On... Sportsmanship

Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this WCo1v1, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in the tours or 1v1 discord, or in opposing wco1v1 team channels (you won't be infracted for you being a dick in your own wco1v1 team channel unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a masterclass.

Deadlines:

Now, all battles are to be completed by Sunday, July 25th, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-4). Battles that are not completed will be reviewed for activity and have a winner declared accordingly. If both parties are at fault, the game will simply not count in deciding final standing. Activity calls will not be made before the round is over. I figure that three weeks is more than enough time, and I will take no excuses. I expect all Captains to nag their players to get their battles done if they are being active, and make substitutions as necessary. That is your job.

NOTE: Replays are required, so that we may further develop the tournament side of our 1v1 metagames. Any win posts without replays will NOT be counted as a win.

Pairings:

SS 1v1 BO7
SS 1v1 BO7 #1
Here Comes Team Charm! (2-1) / DenisTheMenace (2-1) / pqs MK007 (0-3) / Potatochan (2-1)

SS 1v1 BO7 #2
tears SuperMemeBroz (0-3) / IPF (3-0) / Nalei (1-2) / Mishlef (2-1)

SS 1v1 BO5
SS 1v1 BO5 #1
airfare (2-1) / Close Tricking (1-2) / DEG (3-0) / Serene Grace (0-3)

SS 1v1 BO5 #2
D2TheW (2-1) / Murman (0-3) / BlanchedAlmond (2-1) / Rellia (2-1)

SS 1v1 BO5 #3
Aliss (2-1) / ChoccyMilk O-o (0-3) / crow crumbs (2-1) / lvl100Blaziken tenzhii (2-1)

SS 1v1 BO5 #4
eblurb (2-1) / smely socks (3-0) / Palestine (1-2) / Gym Socks! (0-3)

SM 1v1 BO5
SM 1v1 BO5 #1
ToastedBunzzz02 (2-1) / Satanic Beast (2-1) / Landon (2-1) / Chickenpie2 (0-3)

SM 1v1 BO5 #2
LBDC (2-1) / Akumajou (3-0) / Boat (1-2) / TheShadowClaw (0-3)

SM 1v1 BO5 #3
Tol (2-1) / Arai (1-2) / Kentari (2-1) / not a racist (1-2)

SM 1v1 BO5 #4
Lancer Fr gorilaa (1-2) / RaJ.Shoot (2-1) / Elo Bandit (2-1) / XanderUrBoi (1-2)

ORAS 1v1 BO5
ORAS 1v1 BO5 #1
Gray Scraftionite (1-2) / pj (3-0) / DezShizzels (2-1) / LRXC (0-3)

ORAS 1v1 BO5 #2
Finchinator (1-2) / STABLE (1-2) / OM (1-2) / Waylaid (3-0)

BW 1v1 BO5
BW 1v1 BO5 #1
SoulWind (2-1) / Freddy Kyogre (0-3) / Trashuny (2-1) / Sanshokuinsumireko (2-1)

BW 1v1 BO5 #2
Mubs (2-1) / doc1203 (1-2) / Itchyy (2-1) / Simbo (1-2)

DPP 1v1 BO5
DPP 1v1 BO5 #1
Urfgurgle (1-2) / PA (2-1) / Mr. Mime fan (1-2) / Jamez (2-1)

DPP 1v1 BO5 #2
Le Creme Brule (1-2) / neomon (2-1) / Yami (2-1) / Euphonos (1-2)

Monopoke 1v1 BO5
Monopoke 1v1 BO5 #1
H.M.N.I.P (2-1) / Quantum Tesseract (2-1) / Ron...5 (1-2) / ExplodingDonkey (1-2)
1625480196668.png

Monopoke 1v1 BO5 #2
Leru (2-0) / 64 Squares (1-1) / PokeOtter (0-2) / bea (0-0)
1625480178277.png

If you care to see how the pools were randomly generated, the persistent identifiers I used for random.org's list randomizer are shown here: https://pastebin.com/raw/h1XpwX19

Last edited:
Ganamos [ga-na-mo̞s]

verb:

1. A word used to indicate that there is a fair possibility of victory in a given scenario. Includes others around the speaker or those whom the speaker is talking to. Often used in a predictive manner, rather than an absolute one. (Okay, pools have gone up. @Eastie ganamos.)
  2. Past tense of ganar. (Ganamos a lot of ladder matches to do the grindy ass suspect test.)

hs

Banned deucer.
Ganamos [ga-na-mo̞s]

verb:

1. A word used to indicate that there is a fair possibility of victory in a given scenario. Includes others around the speaker or those whom the speaker is talking to. Often used in a predictive manner, rather than an absolute one. (Okay, pools have gone up. @Eastie ganamos.)
  2. Past tense of ganar. (Ganamos a lot of ladder matches to do the grindy ass suspect test.)
dude it's ganhamos

freaks be stealing our culture and changing tsk tsk

Predicts for SS:
maybe I'll do oldgens later with the help of mainers

Here Comes Team Charm! (1-2) / (0-0) / pqs (1-1) / Potatochan (1-1)

Here Comes Team Charm! vs. DenisTheMenace: both of these players are really solid, but both charm and denis didn't qualify for LT and I don't really think either have been particularly motivated to innovate in this meta recently, so I'm picking Denis over Charm because I think he's just a better player when the footing is equal.

Here Comes Team Charm! vs. pqs: unlike Denis, pqs has been extremely active and motivated in this meta, performing very well in LT against some tough opponents. pqs' grasp on the meta is much more solid than charm's imo, while neither really have much ss support. If his team wasn't south and his pool wasn't so hard, I'd think pqs would be a very dominant ss force this wc.

Here Comes Team Charm! vs Potatochan: okay hear me out. Potato's absolutely killing it in lt, and his prep with tears in pl was extraordinary, but he historically has had much more trouble in team tours playing than he has had prepping. I really can't imagine charm will go 0-3 in pools, and I think potato might be so tied up building for palestine and deg that he'll lose focus on his own games. This matchup is kinda a toss-up in my eyes but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

DenisTheMenace vs. pqs: Even though Denis is now teaming with 1v1 sensation eblurb, I doubt his general dislike/lack of amusement of younger or immature players has changed very much, and I think he'll prep out of his mind to make sure he beats pqs here. Outside of that, Denis has historically done extremely well in team tours, while pqs has not (although his 1v1 world cup record is actually great). I greatly favor denis in this matchup.

DenisTheMenace vs. Potatochan: Potato was crucial in prepping for team denis+radu in bo7 for pl, which went much better for potato than it did for denis. I don't have much to say here because it's never easy to predict against denis, but my intuition screams that potato's both prepared and favored in this matchup.

pqs vs. Potatochan: Potato gave pqs the hands in early lt, but the meta was honestly quite a bit different when they last played over a month ago. Potato abused the fuck out of jirachi while pqs was relatively unprepared for it, making me unsure whether he'll be able to catch pqs unaware without pioneering the meta again. It's also likely in potato's favor that deg just knocked pqs out of lt losers, but he shouted out no fewer than 4 people after winning, which makes me think he wasn't actually very instrumental in prepping. I think this is easily the closest matchup of the pool, and I think it could go either way.

IPF (0-2) / Nalei (2-1) / Mishlef (1-1)

tears vs. Nalei: not writing these for my teammates unless I get the chance to predict against nalei; nalei's too busy benefitting billionaire-owned monopolies to prep for the proletariat chad carlos.

IPF vs. Nalei: not a whole lot to say here; nalei is just objectively a much more proven player than the (admittedly relatively sucessful) non-mainer pspl warrior that is IPF. She should have no trouble being creative enough to topple whatever abd(? not really sure who's prepping ss for india) can make. Maybe IPF would win in a clicking war, but I doubt it'll get that far.

IPF vs. Mishlef: Mish has become quite the SS bo7 threat recently, and I imagine he's more than capable and motivated enough to dismantle ipf here. Again, not much else to say.

Nalei vs. Mishlef: lol among us lol sus anyway Mish performed well against ss players in pl, but he lacks the team support he had in catgirls. As a matter of fact, with sice gone I'm not sure who's helping mish build ss outside of murman (who's style may clash with mish's), whereas central has plenty of support for nalei should she require it.

airfare (0-3) / Close (2-1) / DEG (3-0) / Serene Grace (1-2)

airfare vs. Close: No hate to airfare (I'm a fan of that 1v1 tapu fini spotlight) but I really cannot imagine he'll have much luck against close and deg, both proven 1v1 players who have had some substantial success recently. Close has the benefit of denis, radu, and 1v1 sensation eblurb over airfare in terms of prep, who will really only be supported by the spread-thin pqs and itchy. airfare might have the advantage in being hard to scout for with so few 1v1 games played, but I wouldn't count on a win here.

airfare vs. DEG: This is an even more lopsided matchup; deg has been enjoying tons of success in 1v1 LT so far, and potato's building support means he'll likely go crazy in a pool like this. without too much else to say about the game, I'm really excited to see deg playing in 1v1 team tours again and hope he does well.

airfare vs. Serene Grace: as far as I know, serene grace's only 1v1 experience was losing to me in RU last year, so both players are probably on equal footing in terms of knowledge. Neither has a huge advantage in prep either, although in strictly building airfare might be slightly favored. This match might not be extremely close but it sure is impossible to predict, so I give the win to serene solely because of his alpha scheduling.

Close vs. DEG: deg has had the advantage of helping close prep in ss this most recent pl as his manager, while close has no such information on how deg preps for his own games. beyond that, deg has just been doing better than close in ss recently. Close's building support is nothing to scoff at, but I think deg takes this in a close set.

Close vs. Serene grace: not really sure what to say again. close is a proven mainer that has been known to do well in team tours-- Serene is kinda a newcomer with not a lot of help on the building front from his team.

DEG vs. Serene Grace: again, deg is just so heavily favored here that I'm not sure predicting an upset makes any sense, even though I'm a team india fan.

D2TheW (2-0) / Murman (1-1) / Rellia (0-2)

D2TheW vs. Murman: outside of being an enormous d2 fan, I don't really like murman's builds. They feel way too cheesy and exploitable, and d2 is pretty competent with anti-bullshit mons. murman is probably more motivated than d2 this tournament, but he'll also be spread thin prepping for frag and reading through mish's 3,000 word team reviews. I expect d2 to take this, and will probably laugh at him if he loses any of his matches, even tho murman is actually quite good.

D2TheW vs. Rellia: rellia has struggled recently getting wins in team tours, even while teaming with prep superstar and altogether horrible person Nalei. D2, on the other hand, has not. I think it'll be no easy task to overcome central ss, but I simply rate d2 higher as a player than I do rellia, and I think he'll take this game.

Murman vs. Rellia: as unconventional as his methods are, murman gets wins in swsh. rellia is also a good player, but their success has been altogether lower than murman's. Neither player has been particularly relevant in ss recently with any tours going on, so this is probably a somewhat even matchup.

Aliss (2-1) / ChoccyMilk O-o (0-3) / crow crumbs (1-2) / lvl100Blaziken (3-0)

Aliss vs. ChoccyMilk O-o: I do not know who ChoccyMilk O-o is, but Aliss is a top 3 ss player at any given time, so it shouldn't be close. In all seriousness though, Alice with charm support did pretty well in pl, while ChoccyMilk O-o with unknown ss support is a little more of a wild card in this matchup. And with no snorlax to prep for Aliss shouldn't face any stray clefables, so this is an easy dub for her.

Aliss vs. crow crumbs: I'm fan of bird as a person and I know he's a capable 1v1 player, but he has consistently struggled with picking. I think alice can exploit that pretty easily and out-click him each game, especially while having the inside information that d2 can provide after teaming with him like twice in 4 months. I'd be surprised but not shocked to see an upset here.

Aliss vs. lvl100Blaziken: bro frag you gotta change your smogon name I was like "who the fuck" when looking for you in pools. Anywway, frag is the greatest 1v1 clicker in the world, did well in pl, and won seasonal. east'll have trouble making enough team to accommodate him, but this is the same guy who got like top 3 in last year's spring seasonal with the pre-home teams I had given him. frag is simply built different and I expect him to sweep the pool.

ChoccyMilk O-o vs. crow crumbs: I still don't really know if ChoccyMilk O-o has anything going for them in the 1v1 department, but I'm gonna continue referring to them by their full name (ChoccyMilk O-o) because it's just so fun to write. Anyway yeah crow crumbs is a solid builder with better support than india can offer (jai hind) so I'd give bird the heavy advantage here

ChoccyMilk O-o vs. lvl100Blaziken: same reasoning I've used for the other two matches that Choccy is playing, frag is a strong player and should take this match pretty simply. I expect him to do very well in this pool and I'd be surprised if this was his hardest game.

crow crumbs vs. lvl100Blaziken: I rate frag's clicking much higher than bird's; frag isn't much of a builder but he does well with what he's passed and I think this should be pretty heavily in his favor. I'm a big bird fan too and hope he does well, but this pool is just tough enough for him to struggle with alice and frag imo.

this is comedy in its purest form. let's go over every possible aspect of this series.

scheduling: eblurb is a close second worst scheduler on smogon behind mubs (lost to act in loser's finals of ssnl). this man blatantly ignores opponents while posting right above them on his own smogon wall, ghost pings his opponents in random discord servers without replying in dms, and required a groupchat with the host and head smogon td to get a single game done last world cup. smely is shockingly not all that much better, frequently johnning until the last 6 hours possible despite spending 80% of their waking hours active on showdown. 40-60 advantage to smely.

prep: some of eblurb's greatest successes in tours were found by bringing toge + rachi + dragonite every single game in a series, 4 weeks in a row. this is clear proof that eblurb can win despite giving his opponents plenty of time to cteam him. smely, on the other hand, once lost to the guy who was outprepped by an actual pikachu. 65-35 eblurb.

gameplay: eblurb is well-known as one of the greats, winning round 1 of the prestigious multi-gen seeded tour against french sensation LaBalladeDesCieux while garnering a total of 59 smogon reactions (more than waylaid's tiebreak winpost of 1v1pl 4), and even went as far as round 3 before being knocked out by a former teammate. smely, by constrast, lost aromatisse vs zygarde against 1v1 mainstay murman64 in this game, as well as possessing 100% fewer classic trophies than eblurb. they also play every tournament game in an incognito tab, and eblurb feeds on the fear of his opponents with his insane mental game. 90-10 eblurb.

coping: like true competitors, both players get hit hard by losses. the blurb is known for his verbal and constant pestering of anyone he's shared a discord server with, asking if they think less of him because he lost a pokemon game. smely takes a less obtrusive approach and immediately assumes the identity of a pretty canadian pop singer, changing their discord nickname (and sometimes profile picture) in a rough approximation of identity theft to try and hide from the shame. because how the the loser recovers from this game has a significant bearing on their motivation in possible playoffs, I'll give 40-60 to smely (eblurb I don't care that you clicked mega vs rock slide in classic finals I'm not radu)

misc:
  • one time eblurb wrote me an actual sonnet (clearly possesses an intimate understanding with classic art and the english language, greatly benefiting his in-game trash talk). smely has never written me a sonnet (may not know what an iambic pentameter is).
  • blurb plays best when surrounded by cheering friends and teammates, but I'm not sure anyone on south europe actually wants to watch his games (denis close and radu sure don't). the disparity here is that smely actually plays much better when nobody is watching (or that's what I assume, I'm not sure why else they'd private every single game in any tour despite playing on alts). If eblurb plays at a time americans and brazilians are awake for I think he'd have the crowd support, but unless his team shows up to support him he's doomed playing at any other hour.

summary: assuming this game happens, I'd give eblurb the advantage. his already expert oldgen gameplay has transferred well to the newest gen, and him taking 200 games to hit 1500 during LT is just a testament to the work he's poured into this tier. truly a pillar of dedication. once he sent me a swsh team that had absolutely 0 counterplay against victini and snorlax while they were still legal, but I'll just use that as an example that he's able to easily predict and adapt to meta changes. this being said, because it's eblurb and smely, it's possible that both teams make or miss playoffs before this game is ever played. in that hypothetical situation I'd give the act win to smely socks (because they are playing the blurb rosa probably won't look twice before awarding act). in any instance, this is a must-watch highlight game. you have my permission to ping matches TWICE if you see the game going on (not that Finchinator needs anyone to tell him that). may the best zoomer win.

Last edited:

Jabiru

formerly ThatCabbageGuy
Jabiru's sensational takes:
(might edit this with proper predicts later)

SEU = RCB
Has some big names, gonna be hyped up but will inevitably choke like every year.

Pacific = MI
A broken roster, pretty good all round roster. Much like the real MI, they have excellent players in the spots that are harder to fill, and got decent players for more plentiful locations. Buffed by getting given way too much, like legit who thought it was a good idea to give MI De Kock and Boult.

India = CSK
Don't really have great players but will get somewhat bailed out by everyone over-performing.

NWEU = DC
Solid players all around but lacking the huge star power of some of the other sides, a couple of spots that they'll really be hoping come right. Expecting a fairly solid all round performance.

US South = SRH
Pretty bad roster, hoping and praying a couple players carry them. Also the only team that had more than one captaincy option so I get to throw in a Kanos Vs Davey joke.

US Central = KKR
Fairly reliant on a few players coming up big. The entire squad and fanbase really hoping LRXC (Dre Russ) will suddenly think it's 2019 again, but ultimately players not quite being at their peak will mean they keep falling just a bit short

US West = RR
Like most of the not broken teams, kinda reliant on a couple players to come up big, but I think muck like actual RR, some lesser names will put in equally valuable performances. Made some slightly brave calls with slotting (Ben Stokes opening?) but again ultimately I feel like this will work in their favour. Could also maybe throw in a joke about people dieing mid tour. (Rip RR injury luck)

Imma be honest for this last one I'm reaching a bit but it's fine

US Northeast = PK (KXIP)
Insert speech about unbalanced team relying on some players to carry, except this time the quote unquote weak links will have to step up when their big names fail. Also by having northeast be PK I can say:
Alex = Chris Gayle (The protagonist unjustly benched who is going to show the world he truly is a GOAT and that benching him was a mistake)

Tagging Dj Breloominati♬ so that I know at least one person can truly appreciate the beauty of this post.

abd1710

I SHOULD BE BANNED!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

SEU = RCB
Has some big names, gonna be hyped up but will inevitably choke like every year.

Pacific = MI
A broken roster, pretty good all round roster. Much like the real MI, they have excellent players in the spots that are harder to fill, and got decent players for more plentiful locations. Buffed by getting given way too much, like legit who thought it was a good idea to give MI De Kock and Boult.

India = CSK
Don't really have great players but will get somewhat bailed out by everyone over-performing.

NWEU = DC
Solid players all around but lacking the huge star power of some of the other sides, a couple of spots that they'll really be hoping come right. Expecting a fairly solid all round performance.

US South = SRH
Pretty bad roster, hoping and praying a couple players carry them. Also the only team that had more than one captaincy option so I get to throw in a Kanos Vs Davey joke.

US Central = KKR
Fairly reliant on a few players coming up big. The entire squad and fanbase really hoping LRXC (Dre Russ) will suddenly think it's 2019 again, but ultimately players not quite being at their peak will mean they keep falling just a bit short

US West = RR
Like most of the not broken teams, kinda reliant on a couple players to come up big, but I think muck like actual RR, some lesser names will put in equally valuable performances. Made some slightly brave calls with slotting (Ben Stokes opening?) but again ultimately I feel like this will work in their favour. Could also maybe throw in a joke about people dieing mid tour. (Rip RR injury luck)

US Northeast = PK (KXIP)
Insert speech about unbalanced team relying on some players to carry, except this time the quote unquote weak links will have to step up when their big names fail. Also by having northeast be PK I can say:
Alex = Chris Gayle (The protagonist unjustly benched who is going to show the world he truly is a GOAT and that benching him was a mistake)

Tagging Dj Breloominati♬ so that I know at least one person can truly appreciate the beauty of this post.
I approve this post

SEU = RCB

Pacific = MI

India = CSK

NWEU = DC

US South = SRH

US Central = KKR

US West = RR

US Northeast = PK (KXIP)

yes

SEU = RCB

Pacific = MI

India = CSK

NWEU = DC

US South = SRH

US Central = KKR

US West = RR

US Northeast = PK (KXIP)

translate please

SEU = RCB

Pacific = MI

India = CSK

NWEU = DC

US South = SRH

US Central = KKR

US West = RR

US Northeast = PK (KXIP)

:boatogostandode::boatogostandode:

doc1203

Banned deucer.

SEU = RCB

Pacific = MI

India = CSK

NWEU = DC

US South = SRH

US Central = KKR

US West = RR

US Northeast = PK (KXIP)

now this is epic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)