SS NU My first attempt at teambuilding ( pls help me )

Hello, I'm totally new to competitive pokémon teambuilding, but I've reading and watching at lot lately, NU seemed like a good tier for a beginner ( and many pkmn I like are playable in NU ), and I decided to build some kind of a balanced team.

The Team

1626550919058.png

Screw the rules, I have green hair ! ( Celebi ) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

The hazard setter and kind of a specially defensive wall. I choosed him over other walls or other hazard setters because it can fit both roles, also his ability, Natural Cure, looks very interesting to me, his movepool also seemed funnier.
Now for the moveset, Stealth Rock is what he is there for, Leech Seed and Thunder Wave are there for stalling, U-Turn seems almost mandatory since this green onion has a ton of weakness. U-Turn is also the reason I didn't maxed the SpD EVs and put some of them onto Speed.

1626554288500.png

A ground type made out of rocks ( Golurk ) @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Poltergeist

The physical and banded attacker. Golurk has a pretty interesting stab combination, a good ability, and an immunity to fighting and electrical moves.
Dynamic Punch has a good typing coverage, hits hard, and we don't care about its low precision due to Golurk's No Guard. Earthquake and Poltergeist are the mandatory physical stab combination, stone edge is there for flying and bug types. Golurk may hit hard, he's slow af, so 252 EVs onto HP to make him as bulky as possible.

1626554278835.png

Can Learn Dragon Dance but Garchomp can't (Aerodactyl) @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake

As showdown describes it, he's a fast physical sweeper. I wanted a flying type to check ground types, preferably a fast one, and it's even better when he hits hard as well.
Dragon Dance is there for the sweeeeeeep, hone claws is another option, but I don't think he really needs that accuracy boost, I've could also put a coverage move such as Crunch or Thunder Fang but heh.
Stone Edge and Dual Wingbeat are the physical Stab combination, earthquake is there for steel and electrical types.
EVs are quite basic, 252 on attack and 252 on speed, I'm not fully sure about the Life Orb but I can't really think of any other usable item other than heavy-duty boots

1626555011820.png

This is probably the part where I fucked up (Blastoise) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Scald

Physically defensive Blastoise sounds great and terrible to my ears at the same time. Good because water is a great type and he has Rapid Spin, as well as a decent base bulk, bad because it's still not that great of a bulk and I'm sure there are way better options.
Rapid Spin is there to get ride of hazards ( ma boi Aerodactyl doesn't really like them ), Ice Beam is for the coverage, Toxic because it's a defensive mon and Scald is the stab to go for. EVs aren't really particular for a pokémon that's supposed to be Physically Defensive.

1626555696592.png

Zapdos but 4 legs and PU ( Jolteon ) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice

We had hazards setters, physical walls, bulky physical attacker, fast physical sweepers, and special wall, I think it's time for a special attacker. Jolteon hits specially hard, and fast, with a good offensive typing on top of that, and it's even better when he has Choice Specs and a pretty useful ability.
Volt Switch is there because STAB, hits decently hard and is useful on a Choiced mon, Thunderbolt is his best STAB, Shadow Ball is useful coverage and Hyper Voice is me not knowing what to put here.

1626557916988.png

Couldn't find the good 3d model ( Silvally-Steel ) @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Multi-Attack

I just wanted a steel type and a utility pokémon, Silvally-Steel fits both role and I think he looks cool tho. EVs are maxed on HP on SpD due to Celebi not being full on SpD. Defog ( Aerodactyl still don't like stealth rock ) and Parting Shot are part of the utility toolbox, Toxic is there to stall and Silvally can deal substantial damage with Multi-Attack, since steel-type can steel be useful sometimes offensively talking.

This is the end of my RMT, please help me improve my team
Poképaste is here https://pokepast.es/94edcb4ba08598c5

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
(once a blue moon does someone post an NU team that actually has room for constructive criticism, so I guess I'll post something here)

When I look at this team, the immediate core I think is worth keeping in tact is Celebi + Golurk + Aerodactyl. On paper, I think there's room for those first two to work together and open up a late-game where Aerodactyl can sweep after a Dragon Dance. The latter half of the team, though, I struggle to justify keeping as it is. It consists of options that are pretty poor in this metagame, and I think we could swap these guys out with some more standard options to bring the team into better form.

some minor edits

:celebi:
Celebi @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Recover

:golurk:
Golurk @ Spell Tag
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

:aerodactyl:
Aerodactyl @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

:silvally:
Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Toxic

If we're gonna go down the route of facilitating an Aerodactyl sweep, I think these adjustments make doing that a lot easier. To start off, I transitioned Stealth Rock over to Golurk in favor of making Celebi a Nasty Plot set. This will give you a really good way to take advantage of bulky Water-types, in particular Vaporeon, which can give Aerodactyl some troubles otherwise.

Naturally, because I made Golurk the team's Stealth Rock setter, I changed its item to Spell Tag. This is already an option on an upward trend in NU, but the idea is Golurk becomes a lot harder to take advantage of if you can't safely pivot around it and hope to force it to lock into an unfavorable move. I opted for Ice Punch as the last move because it'll help against Defog Rotom-C while maintaining coverage for Braviary.

I changed Aerodactyl's item to Heavy-Duty Boots and replaced Dual Wingbeat with Crunch. The item change is honestly optional all things considered---I think it just helps a lot with making Aerodactyl a bit less reliant on teammates keeping Stealth Rock off the field---but generally speaking, Flying-type coverage isn't overly necessary on Aerodactyl. It does help against Passimian, but overall I find Crunch guaranteeing you damage versus Bronzong to be superior, and it also still lets you hit foes like Golurk and Palossand hard. Honestly, you could even consider using an Adamant nature instead of Jolly; the only Choice Scarf users you might miss out on with this change are pretty niche, and Aerodactyl definitely appreciates extra power.

Lastly, I adjusted the Silvally-Steel's EVs a bit to give it some extra Speed. In general, there are a decent amount of benchmarks you can aim to hit, and here I opted to outrun Decidueye.

some major edits

:blastoise: ->:vaporeon:
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell / Roar

With Aerodactyl's item change, you can definitely afford to drop one of the removers. I'm honestly not a huge fan of either option here, but I figured Blastoise was a bit more expendable overall.

I think the most important thing here really is that Silvally-Steel mandates Wish support to be effective. No matter the generation, every time I see someone try to build Silvally-Steel structures without Wish support, the Pokemon just is so much more ineffective because of its complete lack of recovery. Vaporeon is one of NU's two best Wish passers can gives you a good bit of leeway around other troublesome threats like Blastoise and Salazzle. On this team, I do think you could consider a move like Roar instead of Heal Bell given you have Celebi to absorb status, but honestly, Vaporeon really appreciates not having to worry at ALL about getting poisoned by Toxic.

:heliolisk: -> :drapion:
Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

This team had not a SINGLE switch-in to Dark- or Ghost-moves, so you basically were mandated a Dark-type last. I chose Drapion instead of Guzzlord mostly for the Speed. I didn't want the team to be too weak to Sirfetch'd, and I think Drapion has a lot of great synergy with Dragon Dance Aerodactyl, crippling Mudsdale really effectively. This set is definitely a more interesting one, but I think it works well here. Toxic Spikes are super good against most answers to Aerodactyl, and with Protect, Drapion can easily force poisons onto Ground-types like Mudsdale and Colbur Berry Palossand and stall some turns against them.

:celebi::golurk::aerodactyl::silvally::vaporeon::drapion: (click this team for the import)

I hope this helped, feel free to ask me any questions if you have some.

sawamura

Banned deucer.
With ur team recivied more health with wish something that aerodactyl need cuz he don't tske recover health and vaporeon it's the only Mon can take that fuction. Well played

Not
Hello, I'm totally new to competitive pokémon teambuilding, but I've reading and watching at lot lately, NU seemed like a good tier for a beginner ( and many pkmn I like are playable in NU ), and I decided to build some kind of a balanced team.

The Team

View attachment 359362
Screw the rules, I have green hair ! ( Celebi ) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

The hazard setter and kind of a specially defensive wall. I choosed him over other walls or other hazard setters because it can fit both roles, also his ability, Natural Cure, looks very interesting to me, his movepool also seemed funnier.
Now for the moveset, Stealth Rock is what he is there for, Leech Seed and Thunder Wave are there for stalling, U-Turn seems almost mandatory since this green onion has a ton of weakness. U-Turn is also the reason I didn't maxed the SpD EVs and put some of them onto Speed.

View attachment 359367
A ground type made out of rocks ( Golurk ) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Poltergeist

The physical and banded attacker. Golurk has a pretty interesting stab combination, a good ability, and an immunity to fighting and electrical moves.
Dynamic Punch has a good typing coverage, hits hard, and we don't care about its low precision due to Golurk's No Guard. Earthquake and Poltergeist are the mandatory physical stab combination, stone edge is there for flying and bug types. Golurk may hit hard, he's slow af, so 252 EVs onto HP to make him as bulky as possible.

View attachment 359366
Can Learn Dragon Dance but Garchomp can't (Aerodactyl) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake

As showdown describes it, he's a fast physical sweeper. I wanted a flying type to check ground types, preferably a fast one, and it's even better when he hits hard as well.
Dragon Dance is there for the sweeeeeeep, hone claws is another option, but I don't think he really needs that accuracy boost, I've could also put a coverage move such as Crunch or Thunder Fang but heh.
Stone Edge and Dual Wingbeat are the physical Stab combination, earthquake is there for steel and electrical types.
EVs are quite basic, 252 on attack and 252 on speed, I'm not fully sure about the Life Orb but I can't really think of any other usable item other than heavy-duty boots

View attachment 359368
This is probably the part where I fucked up (Blastoise) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Scald

Physically defensive Blastoise sounds great and terrible to my ears at the same time. Good because water is a great type and he has Rapid Spin, as well as a decent base bulk, bad because it's still not that great of a bulk and I'm sure there are way better options.
Rapid Spin is there to get ride of hazards ( ma boi Aerodactyl doesn't really like them ), Ice Beam is for the coverage, Toxic because it's a defensive mon and Scald is the stab to go for. EVs aren't really particular for a pokémon that's supposed to be Physically Defensive.

View attachment 359369
Zapdos but 4 legs and PU ( Jolteon ) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice

We had hazards setters, physical walls, bulky physical attacker, fast physical sweepers, and special wall, I think it's time for a special attacker. Jolteon hits specially hard, and fast, with a good offensive typing on top of that, and it's even better when he has Choice Specs and a pretty useful ability.
Volt Switch is there because STAB, hits decently hard and is useful on a Choiced mon, Thunderbolt is his best STAB, Shadow Ball is useful coverage and Hyper Voice is me not knowing what to put here.

View attachment 359382
Couldn't find the good 3d model ( Silvally-Steel ) @ Steel Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Multi-Attack

I just wanted a steel type and a utility pokémon, Silvally-Steel fits both role and I think he looks cool tho. EVs are maxed on HP on SpD due to Celebi not being full on SpD. Defog ( Aerodactyl still don't like stealth rock ) and Parting Shot are part of the utility toolbox, Toxic is there to stall and Silvally can deal substantial damage with Multi-Attack, since steel-type can steel be useful sometimes offensively talking.

This is the end of my RMT, please help me improve my team
Poképaste is here https://pokepast.es/94edcb4ba08598c5
Not only that you can equip a ballon on Drapion for any earthquake switch in to an opposing Golurk. Also make sure that anything that tries to sweep (like any shell smash or set up mon) make DEEPLY counterable on this team I would add one more tank here is a sample set for Mudsadle:
Mudsdale @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 150 HP / 50 Atk / 135 Def / 150 SpD / 23 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Body Press
- Earthquake

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)