Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
how many spa evs is recommended? and I've also heard dragon tail was used with this; is it recommended on AV?
Yea, Dragon Tail goes nicely with Future Sight because you have a chance of shuffling in a good target if you catch a would-be switch-in with Dragon Tail. It really depends a lot on the team -- I would calc Scald and the other coverage moves you opt for on the given team vs likely targets to get a better idea!

Katy

Banned deucer.
Any idea how to build around obstagoon?
Obstagoon needs partners, which can handle preferrably Fighting-types and Pokemon with Fighting-type Coverage, such as Kartana with Sacred Sword. It also needs alot of support to handle Volcarona and Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele, Clefable, Tapu Koko, even Tapu Bulu.

The best way to cover its weaknesses would be with Pokemon like bulky Dragonite as this can handle all the three mentioned Pokemon in Urshifu-R, Kartana and Volcarona pretty well. Specially defensive Landorus-T can also handle Volcarona and is able to set up Stealth Rocks and give momentum with U-turn and with access to Knock Off / Toxic it is a great partner. Dragapult can also be a great help with handling Urshifu-R.

Dragonite and your own Volcarona can also handle Buzzwole, the same mention goes to Tapu lele with offensively pressure it.

To the Fairy-types, the best way to cover them would be Steel-types such as Corviknight, it can check Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, and Clefable decently well. Heatran can also check Clefable and Tapu Lele and furthermore can check Tapu Koko in a pinch.

Other great sources of counterplay would be Galarian Slowking, as it handles Tapu Fini, can check Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko as well as Clefable. It can also help Obstagoon in making progress due to Future Sight, and it can lure in Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Dragonite with Ice Beam, which is -- especially in Landorus-Ts case -- valuable to open a path for Obstagoon.

Other great teammates would consist of Pokemon such as Mew for the potential to stack Spikes with Taunt, Knock Off, and Night Shade, it can also check Tapu Lele in that aspect and Hazard Stack helps Obstagoon opening up a path due to the pressure Hazard Stack puts on the opposition.
Scizor, Kyurem, and Tornadus-T can also be great partners for Obstagoon to offensively pressure the opposing teams.

These are the Pokemon to cover and a way to cover these threats. There are more great Pokemon which can help Obstagoon such as Rotom-W, and your own Kartana, Tapu Lele or Tapu Koko. As they all help pressuring the opposition very well alongside Obstagoon.

Hope that helped :)

Last edited:
I've been playing a lot of Ubers and AG and Magnet Rise Zekrom is always a sleeper pick that can just mess up teams. Are there any viable magnet rise users in OU? TPP posted about Exca in the OLT thread. Two more that come to mind seem like Magnezone and Xurkitree and as a meme, special Cobalion because of their good neutral coverage. Does anyone have some good replays?

What's the consensus on Adamant vs. Jolly Weavile? To me, it seems like Adamant is better because you still out speed base 109 and up. The only OU pokemon between base 109 and 125 are Hawlucha and Tornadus-T; obviously Hawlucha doesn't matter and Tornadus-T is still hit hard by Ice shard. Further, the only other notable pokemon that might be seen in OU between these speed tiers that I could think of are Gengar, Alakazam, and the Lati@s; none of them are that common, they gotta worry about being smacked by Knock Off, and Ice Shard also hits them all decently hard.

With this in mind, unless your team is super weak to Tornadus-T, it seems like Adamant is better to me because the extra speed doesn't really do much. Would you guys agree Adamant is generally the better nature on Life Orb, HDB, and CB Weavile sets?

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What's the consensus on Adamant vs. Jolly Weavile? To me, it seems like Adamant is better because you still out speed base 109 and up. The only OU pokemon between base 109 and 125 are Hawlucha and Tornadus-T; obviously Hawlucha doesn't matter and Tornadus-T is still hit hard by Ice shard. Further, the only other notable pokemon that might be seen in OU between these speed tiers that I could think of are Gengar, Alakazam, and the Lati@s; none of them are that common, they gotta worry about being smacked by Knock Off, and Ice Shard also hits them all decently hard.

With this in mind, unless your team is super weak to Tornadus-T, it seems like Adamant is better to me because the extra speed doesn't really do much. Would you guys agree Adamant is generally the better nature on Life Orb, HDB, and CB Weavile sets?
Adamant is fine but I run Jolly so I have a chance in Weavile mirrors :blobshrug:

Katy

Banned deucer.

The adamant nature can be utilized if you have other fast threats in your team such as Zeraora and Tapu Koko which can cover Tornadus-T and other in that speed range very well, so you can go with Adamant here. On a different note I feel Heavy-Duty Boots is the way to go, Life Orb + Hazards just take too much of Weaviles health to make it useful in the long term. Choice Band is a good set. But I would stray away from Life Orb versions. Instead you can utilize Wide Lens to boost Triple Axels accuracy. Some players came up with that recently.

Hope this helped :)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I've been playing a lot of Ubers and AG and Magnet Rise Zekrom is always a sleeper pick that can just mess up teams. Are there any viable magnet rise users in OU? TPP posted about Exca in the OLT thread. Two more that come to mind seem like Magnezone and Xurkitree and as a meme, special Cobalion because of their good neutral coverage. Does anyone have some good replays?
All are very fringe. Drill is easily the best user, but Magnezone can use it with Air Balloon to make Excadrill set up fodder if it doesn’t want to just go for the 2H with Body Press. There are few replays of either though.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Is Poison Jab a niche option on Rapid Strike Shifu? It hits Bulu and Fini
You could, but honestly I don't really even think it's necessary since you can overload Tapu Bulu and Fini really well anyway especially in the long term with repeated hits from your STABs, U-turn, and hazard chip. There's also the opportunity cost of Aqua Jet which has merits in revenge killing Volcarona and other faster threats like Weavile, Tapu Koko, and Tornadus-T

Is Poison Jab a niche option on Rapid Strike Shifu? It hits Bulu and Fini
It's a decent surprise move although passing up on U-turn or Aqua Jet is really hard. most of the time, you are simply better off U-turning on these types of Pokémon or you'll just wear them down with your STABs. It's a nice lure, though, but very risky on a Choice Band set. Maybe some Bulk Up Life Orb stuff on HO idk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)