Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Katy

Banned deucer.
What sort of spreads/sets are best for Specially Defensive Lando-T?
:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpD / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

This spread is one of the best spreads to use right now, as it has a chance to survive 2 flamethrowers by +1 bulky volcarona another spread i have found pretty good in using is this:

EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 216 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

this specially defensive spread is able to help landorus-t significantly, as the chance of 2HKOing it is drastically reduced to only 21,5% chance, but with stone edge it can get rid of volcarona immediately. i have used this spread on several teams and it works fine for me. it also checks tapu koko a bit better at the same time.

the two spreads above are the ones you should aim for. the first one is a sample spread, the second one i found out being very helpful as well.

hope this helped :)

Spreads have already been answered by Katy, I only feel the need to add that you can create the one more catered towards your team by identifying speed benchmarks, defensive calcs and rock move damage output for volc (2hko +1 fire blast from off volc, 3hko +1 flamethrower from bulkarona, dazzling gleam from Koko, rock slide/smack down damage vs bulkarona or off volc)

As far as moves go I would consider Protect and/or Toxic (especially Toxic) - if your team can sustain it - because SpDef Lando-T really like and enjoys racking up Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage.
Rock moves are hard to fit due to Lando normally preferring other moves, but I would only consider Rock Slide, Rock Tomb or Smack Down because of PP, better accuracy and potentially useful secondary effect. I don't like stone edge on a mon that uses rock type as defensive coverage rather than damage output, because I'd like to minimize the chances to miss at the crucial time to click the rock move against volc. That's just my opinion, though.
I haven't made the calcs but if you can invest some atk EVs to make EQ do more than 50% you can arguably suffice as a check without a rock move and just have EQ+toxic, which is generally HIGHLY preferred against everything else in the meta.

Here is a SpDef Lando-T spread I just created

Last edited:

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
:landorus-therian:
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpD / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

This spread is one of the best spreads to use right now, as it has a chance to survive 2 flamethrowers by +1 bulky volcarona another spread i have found pretty good in using is this:

EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 216 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

this specially defensive spread is able to help landorus-t significantly, as the chance of 2HKOing it is drastically reduced to only 21,5% chance, but with stone edge it can get rid of volcarona immediately. i have used this spread on several teams and it works fine for me. it also checks tapu koko a bit better at the same time.

the two spreads above are the ones you should aim for. the first one is a sample spread, the second one i found out being very helpful as well.

hope this helped :)
Also note the top one's speed is for spdef Heatran, Bisharp, and base 60s (e..g Zone/Aegi)
The latter... outspeeds some other landorus's? and also Ttar? Not sure

To answer this initial question: set wise, you go for rocks uturn eq [last move]
Last move can be toxic, knock, or a rock move depending on what you want.
I would only endorse stone edge and rock slide, as imo the others have really disappointing damage vs Volcarona and require significant investment to be usable.

(I also wrote a post in the metagame discussion thread you may have read explaining why you run spdef lando and showing calcs to illustrate my point.)
I've just been running your standard physdef set but swapped out the physdef for spdef, so
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Katy I'm wondering why you put 12 def on your sets? What is that for?

EDIT: Here is an example team that values lando in the last slot, in order to perform value role compression by acting as both a Zeraora and Volcarona check.

why does specs pult run u-turn? pivot set i can understand but why specs? if your just going to be a u-turn bot then don't wear specs and you cant u turn after locking into another attack
I answered that on the viability rankings, but I'll say it again here: U-turn is for when you predict a switch into a check like Clefable, Toxapex or Tapu Fini so you can bring in a partner like Urshifu, Tapu Lele etc and pressure the switch-in. It isn't just about U-turn bot-ting, it's about turning your opponent's attempt to switch in against them.

I dont remember what the exact team is but I remember watching ladder games in the 1500+ range and I kept seeing a specific team with both moltres galar and omastar of all things. If anyone knows what the team I'm referring to is what is the purpose of running these two specific mons in the team, especially the omastar and what role do they serve?

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Does Zoom Lens boost accuracy on the switch?
Yes. I used 85% accuracy moves to prove this which with Zoom Lens become 100% accurate (and this way it's way easier to quantify than using a pool of less accurate moves). This also aligns with the precedent of other moves/abilities with similar contingencies such as Bolt Beak, Fishious Rend, and Analytic.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1371290675

For the future, general optics questions should be posted to the general SQSA thread which you can find here.

I dont remember what the exact team is but I remember watching ladder games in the 1500+ range and I kept seeing a specific team with both moltres galar and omastar of all things. If anyone knows what the team I'm referring to is what is the purpose of running these two specific mons in the team, especially the omastar and what role do they serve?
Moltres-Galar is a niche albeit potentially game-winning HO option with a gnarly type and ability, letting it take advantage of Dragapult and deter its Shadow Ball. It utilizes Agility and Nasty Plot alongside a fearsome dual STAB combination only resisted by Bisharp and Tyranitar among OU viable Pokemon. Omastar is not OU viable, but could see some success with a Power Herb Meteor Beam + Shell Smash set, which seems feasible with dual Screens support. It could just be someone on the ladder wanting to experiment with unconventional HO win conditions.

Does Weavile fit on Bulky-Offense teams? If yes, which is its role on this archetype? On the Smogon page, I've seen DragonDance + Boots, but also Choice Band; the latter seems to be better for having immediate firepower. Finally, what are its favourite teammates? Thanks.

Edit: Swords Dance, not Dragon Dance :p

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Does Weavile fit on Bulky-Offense teams? If yes, which is its role on this archetype? On the Smogon page, I've seen DragonDance + Boots, but also Choice Band; the latter seems to be better for having immediate firepower. Finally, what are its favourite teammates? Thanks.
Yes, Swords Dance sweeper and revenge killer. Both can work. It does well with pivots like Landorus-T and Slowking!

weav is a good lategame cleaner on bo, being able to pick apart most of its defensive answers at +2, you can work w/ galar / kanto slowking, tapu koko, etc

I’ve used breakmyteam or things like it in years past, but I can’t find anything that works now. Is there something I’m overlooking?

I also have a weird Escavalier set that seems to work pretty well, but I struggle with it getting overwhelmed. I usually run wish/heal bell support, but are there any recommendations for partners to help with not getting overwhelmed without making the team super weak to something?

the set I’m using:

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Counter
- Toxic
- Knock Off

shell armor is really nice against urshifu, I use sub/toxic when stuff switches out, and counter is fun when things like lando try to eq or urshifu surging strikes for 40 or so against me. But, stuff like urshifu + sand is kinda overwhelming. I’ve tried corvi with it, but maybe the issue is the team as a whole, idk

I'm wondering what caused Weavile to jump right up in terms of usage and viability. I do notice it has good/decent matchups with some top-tier mons like Dragapult or Lando-T but is there anything else to it?

Edit: As well as Zeraora rising back to about where it was during the early Home meta.

I'm wondering what caused Weavile to jump right up in terms of usage and viability. I do notice it has good/decent matchups with some top-tier mons like Dragapult or Lando-T but is there anything else to it?

Edit: As well as Zeraora rising back to about where it was during the early Home meta.
Weavile high speed stat and great offensive typing makes it a deadly and great win condition for many teams, access to Ice Shard for priority in picking off weakened prey and some defensive niche in being able check Dragapult.

Zeraora itself has the fastest speed tier in boosted in the metagame with Knock off it’s able to remove crucial items of its checks along with Toxic in putting Ground-types in a timer. Some are also Bulk Up which is one of the best win conditions as well especially with majority of Ground-types that want to check it get worn down quickly or get overwhelmed by hazard stack or Toxic support.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

Boots as well. Weavile wouldn't be half as threatening as it is now without its precious boots

Who are the best partner's for calm mind :tapu fini: and SD :aegislash: on a bulky offence team?

Also what pokemon should i use for a trick spam team as i love nothing better then gifting opposing mons dud items

Who are the best partner's for calm mind :tapu fini: and SD :aegislash: on a bulky offence team?

Also what pokemon should i use for a trick spam team as i love nothing better then gifting opposing mons dud items
A ground-type like Landorus-T can be nice to alleviate the weakness to Zeraora and Garchomp, while you could also have an approach in a hazard stack team for the direction with the first two members

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)