Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Yamask gets purple eyes and a different rock.

Like I said, Basculin-H could easily have different markings and a totally different back half that turns into the ghost clouds of basculegion
The different rock is incredibly important though? There’s no reasonable way that normal Yamask becomes Runerigus, and unlike Sirfetch’d this Basculin evo doesn’t have a complete typing 180. I could easily see it being a normal evo.

The different rock is incredibly important though? There’s no reasonable way that normal Yamask becomes Runerigus, and unlike Sirfetch’d this Basculin evo doesn’t have a complete typing 180. I could easily see it being a normal evo.
And we have not seen Basculin at all, meaning that just like Yamask, it could EASILY HAVE A PART OF IT that is different and would connect to Basculegion

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Okay, Legends seems like a really solid game now. It's not perfectly polished and it's still not making as much use of the series' potential as I'd like, but I can't deny that it looks like a lot of fun and does so in a way we haven't yet seen.

I hope there is some form of cross-compatibility with other games or some form of multiplayer, not sure how that would work however.

Anyway we got new Pokemon and I'm pretty interested in all four.

Wyrdeer is a much-needed evolution for Stantler and while I'm not exactly sure what it does differently even something extremely basic like +10 in every stat would be a massive improvement.
Basculegion is downright scary in terms of its battle prowess, under the assumption that it's both faster and a stronger than Basculin. The original mon is already way more powerful than most people would think IMO and an evolution that improves on that should be pretty dang strong. Depends on if they gave it a physical Ghost move that's not Phantom Force. Just want to say too that this is one of the best interpretations of the Ghost-type I've seen in a while.
Hisuian Braviary doesn't have the most unique typing ever but if they differentiate it by making it more physically-biased that would be nice. A shame that Psychic has poor physical moves and Flying has poor special moves so unless they gave it a signature to remedy this it might struggle to specialize.
Hisuian Growlithe is hard to make any real judgement on as the final form could be a different typing altogether, but Fire/Rock on a Pokemon that normally has good Speed is leagues ahead of the two slow Fire/Rocks we've gotten in the past. This is a pretty dangerous STAB combo that's yet to be realized outside of VGC Coalossol.

Unsure of the future of these Pokemon (and any others) beyond the scope of this game. It'd suck if they're exclusives but the good news is Showdown has modding support.

FF X combat system would be difficult to implement in a PVP environment, that's something I was discussing with some friends earlier today. If somehow they keep on intending to apply this combat system in the future, they'll have to make it so the HUD makes sense on both ends of the player selection. It's something that haven't been done before, but it's possible.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader

he is shaped like a badass i couldn't resist drawing him
i LOVE this though s o m uc h I'm really really excited about the potential here, and I'm super happy they're bringing regional forms/evolutions back too no less. super excited but I'm hoping they don't drop the ball where it counts
bdsp looks a ton better too, I'm really liking the hgss route where they seem to be adding new content but are still remastering and emphasizing the games at their core!! love the new underground areas and how it seems you can actually get fire-types that arent chimchar or ponyta lol

he is shaped like a badass i couldn't resist drawing him
i LOVE this though s o m uc h I'm really really excited about the potential here, and I'm super happy they're bringing regional forms/evolutions back too no less. super excited but I'm hoping they don't drop the ball where it counts
bdsp looks a ton better too, I'm really liking the hgss route where they seem to be adding new content but are still remastering and emphasizing the games at their core!! love the new underground areas and how it seems you can actually get fire-types that arent chimchar or ponyta lol
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/s...ed_Carp.png/revision/latest?cb=20190418124553

I can't wait to use BASCULEGION. That shit eats souls and babies, and families, and families with babies.

Basculegion is downright scary in terms of its battle prowess, under the assumption that it's both faster and a stronger than Basculin. The original mon is already way more powerful than most people would think IMO and an evolution that improves on that should be pretty dang strong. Depends on if they gave it a physical Ghost move that's not Phantom Force. Just want to say too that this is one of the best interpretations of the Ghost-type I've seen in a while.
You know, a water/ghost type that gets adaptability on 2 of the best offensive types and decent enough attack stat could... be quite scary even on practical point.

Although it may be a single player game (unless the info about that gets updated on the official site), it sounds like trading is still in:

Also now that we have regional variants/evolutions confirmed I'm like 99.9% sure that there are either going to be Hisuian forms of Decidueye, Typhlosion, and Samurott or Rowlet, Cyndaquil, and Oshawott will get new branched evolutions. Just seems to line up too perfectly IMO
Although I would miss getting to use ghost Decidueye, this will hopefully be the case; much more interesting than them simply reusing starters from other regions.

Depends on if they gave it a physical Ghost move that's not Phantom Force.
You know, a water/ghost type that gets adaptability on 2 of the best offensive types and decent enough attack stat could... be quite scary even on practical point.

Doesn't even necessarily need these. Basculin has a Base 80 SpA; even if Basculegion's is the same, its LO Shadow Ball will hit harder than Specs Pult's.

252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Basculin Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 164-195 (48 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 163-193 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

I might've missed it in the trailer, but the website says that the ames of the players are Akari and Rei

Though I'm not sure which is which, the littel slide show defaults to the girl first so maybe she's Akari and the guy's Rei?
Afaik Rei is a feminine name, and they also usually name the male first, so safe assumption is Akari is the male and Rei the female.

(Could still be proved wrong, obviously)

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I might've missed it in the trailer, but the website says that the ames of the players are Akari and Rei

Though I'm not sure which is which, the littel slide show defaults to the girl first so maybe she's Akari and the guy's Rei?
At around 21 minutes in, that Kamado guy refers to the guy as Rei, so you're probably right.

Also, this is completely unrelated to the game itself, but a main character in a game that was announced in early 2021 in a region based off medieval Japan who has that very specific name totally isn't a sneak reference to a certain popular trend right now. Nope, totally not at all. You might as well have a Gardevoir hiding away in some wooden box while you're at it...

Spanish names are much better, because the guy is called "Luka", which rhymes with "mi polla con peluca", a mythical rhyme that everyone uses to humilliate inadvertent people.

It was interesting how the battle animations actually show the pokemon hitting each other directly. In general the game seems to be built off the idea of the Wild Area and even the battles seem seamless. I think the turn order idea is cool and definitely inspired from other RPGs as said, though I hope there's more than just 1v1 battles because this works better with a full party.

Based on filenames, the girl is Akari.
https://legends.pokemon.com/assets/story/story_akari_1.jpg
https://legends.pokemon.com/assets/story/story_rei_1.jpg

Some battle details from the screenshots:
1629301979822.png
1629302127625.png

In general base HP seems to have much more of an impact with a level 10 Cyndaquil having 56 HP, level 12 Rowlet with 103 HP, and the level 12 Oshawott below having 87 HP. The difference gets lower as levels go higher though. I think this is done so that the turn order system comes into play more earlygame with more hits being taken.
1629301433293.png

Here we see Oshawott with an interesting and different learnset of Tackle/Aqua Jet/Swords Dance, which would be pretty strong in the main games but maybe things will be different here. Tackle is down to 30 PP from the usual 35.
1629302320671.png

Hovering over Aqua Jet causes the future turn order to change slightly, similarly to the Agile effect though not having the icon for it yet.

1629301785775.png

1629301793195.png

Aura Sphere is down to 15 PP from 20, and Calm Mind/Bulk Up are down to 10 PP from 20. It makes sense because these should be pretty good moves, so I feel like Swords Dance might be nerfed for its earlygame status or Oshawott might just not have it in the final game.

It was interesting how the battle animations actually show the pokemon hitting each other directly. In general the game seems to be built off the idea of the Wild Area and even the battles seem seamless. I think the turn order idea is cool and definitely inspired from other RPGs as said, though I hope there's more than just 1v1 battles because this works better with a full party.

Based on filenames, the girl is Akari.
https://legends.pokemon.com/assets/story/story_akari_1.jpg
https://legends.pokemon.com/assets/story/story_rei_1.jpg

Some battle details from the screenshots:
View attachment 365819View attachment 365821
In general base HP seems to have much more of an impact with a level 10 Cyndaquil having 56 HP, level 12 Rowlet with 103 HP, and the level 12 Oshawott below having 87 HP. The difference gets lower as levels go higher though. I think this is done so that the turn order system comes into play more earlygame with more hits being taken.
View attachment 365815
Here we see Oshawott with an interesting and different learnset of Tackle/Aqua Jet/Swords Dance, which would be pretty strong in the main games but maybe things will be different here. Tackle is down to 30 PP from the usual 35.
View attachment 365823
Hovering over Aqua Jet causes the future turn order to change slightly, similarly to the Agile effect though not having the icon for it yet.

View attachment 365817
View attachment 365818
Aura Sphere is down to 15 PP from 20, and Calm Mind/Bulk Up are down to 10 PP from 20. It makes sense because these should be pretty good moves, so I feel like Swords Dance might be nerfed for its earlygame status or Oshawott might just not have it in the final game.
Can't say I'm a fan of reducing PP in a more exploration-focused game, I don't like fiddling with consumable to be topped up between fights.

Increasing HP primarily at low levels seems wierd when compared to my experinece with the core games. Ingame, I often find that you're more likely to have one-shot potential late game while just about everything early is a 2 or 3 hit KO.

Notably, neither Swords Dance nor Aqua jet appear to be selectable for the style system. Aqua jet is explained by having its own priority interaction, but SD is more interesting. It could indicate that it's been reduced down to be the general low-level Attack-only boost (since none of Meditate/Sharpen/Howl are generic enough flavour-wise), and thus can't be made agile because there is nothing lower, while bulk up and calm mind can be reduced to only boosting one of their stats. Alternately, the inablitiy to take a style is itself SD's nerf for earlygame since it doesn't allow for setting up and immediately attacking as much as other moves would.

Can't say I'm a fan of reducing PP in a more exploration-focused game, I don't like fiddling with consumable to be topped up between fights.

Increasing HP primarily at low levels seems wierd when compared to my experinece with the core games. Ingame, I often find that you're more likely to have one-shot potential late game while just about everything early is a 2 or 3 hit KO.
There's just a possibility that this is due to how the interactions with wild pokemon work.

According to the presentation, several pokemon will be able to be caught without fighting, while others may try to attack the player right away. The higher HP / lower PP may be to encourage the player to actually think of which encounters to take more carefully, while also at same time thinking better on which moves to actually use rather than "ha ha supereffective go brr".
Also lower PP on attacking moves combined with higher HP of pokemon can also give bigger importance to boosting moves, which could *also* explain the early availability of some otherwise late-game oriented skills like Sword Dance of Calm Mind: if you have less PP on your attacks, boosting then clicking a move twice is more attractive than clicking the move 4 times (and the higher HP offset needing to take a hit to set up).

I see it as potentially good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)