Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

I just hope that HMs are not back, or at least not in the same way as the originals. There was a shot of a part of Mt. Coronet where Rock Climb looked like it could be used...
1629296938796.png

1629297071868.png

Cynthia is near a Cut tree just like the originals. I think they could go the LGPE route, but we've seen Waterfall used in the game and that means either we still have HM moves or they made Waterfall and Surf TMs again.

EDIT: I actually feel like the TMs are likely to be revamped in some way, since the original had to keep the first 50 exactly from Gen 3 since items could be transferred and that restriction won't apply anymore.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
https://diamondpearl.pokemon.com/assets/features/underground_ill.jpg

i see an omastar statue

omastar wasnt even in the original platinum dex (being post game only) so does this mean they wont be limiting the available pokemon to the 210 in platinum after all?
I also wonder if the Underground wild mons will include Pokemon from Gen 5 onwards. I really want either BDSP or Legends to include some of the mons I still miss dearly, like Zebstrika, Eelektross, and the Kalos starters.

I really wonder how, if at all, those mons will appear again in Gen 8.

C...can't help but notice the entire ice area is locked to...the ice part of the map, unconnected from teh rest.
To me it seems several of the areas are "isolated"
Cynthia is near a Cut tree just like the originals. I think they could go the LGPE route, but we've seen Waterfall used in the game and that means either we still have HM moves or they made Waterfall and Surf TMs again.
Well Waterfall has been a staple move used to actually give a phisical water stab, it'd be weird if it was "gone". Solid chance Surf and Waterfall are just there as TMs.

I also wonder if the Underground wild mons will include Pokemon from Gen 5 onwards. I really want either BDSP or Legends to include some of the mons I still miss dearly, like Zebstrika, Eelektross, and the Kalos starters.

I really wonder how, if at all, those mons will appear again in Gen 8.
Well, putting aside the question about 5+ pokemon (Sylveon feels like someone who should be here, if nothing else....), I imagine that Legends Arceus will pick up the slack on the remainder.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Judging from the minimap alongside the full map here, it seems all those big ? markers are the "special caves", rather than specifically tied to Pal Park and such.

C...can't help but notice the entire ice area is locked to...the ice part of the map, unconnected from teh rest.
Ok, now THIS is super interesting to me. There are multiple Pokemon that weren't in the Platinum dex: Just from this art I spot Numel, Slugma, Skiploom, Oddish and OG Grimer, and we also saw mons like Sentret and Lanturn in the proper trailer.

They're not being discrete about this at all, this Underground expansion is pretty much their roundabout way of expanding the dex and I dig it a TON

Ok, now THIS is super interesting to me. There are multiple Pokemon that weren't in the Platinum dex: Just from this art I spot Numel, Slugma, Skiploom, Oddish and OG Grimer, and we also saw mons like Sentret and Lanturn in the proper trailer.

They're not being discrete about this at all, this Underground expansion is pretty much their roundabout way of expanding the dex and I dig it a TON
To be fair, considering it's remakes, they can pretend to tease the plot for new players, but they also *have* to show something that would also interest people that played DPP.
I wonder how early we'll have access to potential "dex expansions" though, cause if they're just postgame that doesnt really help much.

I think it's a fair choice to be blatant about the new features. I dig GF actually doing decent marketing for once :psysly:

To be fair, considering it's remakes, they can pretend to tease the plot for new players, but they also *have* to show something that would also interest people that played DPP.
I wonder how early we'll have access to potential "dex expansions" though, cause if they're just postgame that doesnt really help much.

I think it's a fair choice to be blatant about the new features. I dig GF actually doing decent marketing for once :psysly:
On one hand, they are somewhat heavily teasing the ability to get these Pokemon. They're all over the screenshots & artwork and to an extent the trailer.
On the other hand, they also mention being tied to what you put in your base
on the other other hand that could be way more available and not as limiting as it sounds (ie: maybe slugmas only show up with Charizard statues and you can buy those freely in Hearthome)
on the other other other hand I'm always going to remember Electivire being shown during pre-release and not actually being available during the main game of DP and I'm going to die bitter so like they could be showing some "post game features" (ie: the sentrets, the slugmas) just as a fun tease for a general feature that's still available during the main game (ie: you could get later/rarer game pokemon earlier, but not post-game non-sinnoh dex pokemon)

I missed this earlier, but the contest parts actually show some new/higher res minisprites for mons and they look pretty good. I think Pikachu's is completely new or possibly based on its LGPE partner minisprite.

Here's direct screenshots from the website (features tab).
1629298529727.png

1629298874839.png

I noticed this pretty game changing change right here; Piplup has Water Gun. Now in the original games it only had access to Bubble and Bubblebeam, so they may be going the Gen 6 Squirtle route and making it so it gets Bubble later as an upgrade to Water Gun.
1629298889740.png

If you didn't open the spoiler, I noticed Piplup has Water Gun now which is new.

The features tab also mentions some interesting points like you can get Seals (or Stickers as they call them now) by beating gym leaders and you can also edit them in the original 2D style. Following pokemon are unlocked later, probably around Amity Square.

This page is actually pretty eye-opening. We have a glimpse of the battle UI, though in Japanese. I like the colours but I think they could have just removed the bag option like how the other games do it iirc.

1629299090032.png

There's a global and local room aspect.
1629299223465.png

Here on the summary screen we can see that (I'm assuming) BDSP has its own mark like the pentagon, and the game is keeping the modern 6 digit IDs. I think that Normal type icon is new as well. Also, Bidoof is mentioned as Pokedex No. 399 which is its NATIONAL specification. In another scrolling screenshot Bidoof is shown to be #13 so I think this confirms National Dex numberings will be acknowledged in some form.
1629299186455.png

1629299291188.png

I thought this was a pretty plain entry, but it's the exact same as the original Diamond.

I missed this earlier, but the contest parts actually show some new/higher res minisprites for mons and they look pretty good. I think Pikachu's is completely new or possibly based on its LGPE partner minisprite.

Here's direct screenshots from the website (features tab).
View attachment 365802

View attachment 365803

I noticed this pretty game changing change right here; Piplup has Water Gun. Now in the original games it only had access to Bubble and Bubblebeam, so they may be going the Gen 6 Squirtle route and making it so it gets Bubble later as an upgrade to Water Gun.
View attachment 365804

If you didn't open the spoiler, I noticed Piplup has Water Gun now which is new.

The features tab also mentions some interesting points like you can get Seals (or Stickers as they call them now) by beating gym leaders and you can also edit them in the original 2D style. Following pokemon are unlocked later, probably around Amity Square.

This page is actually pretty eye-opening. We have a glimpse of the battle UI, though in Japanese. I like the colours but I think they could have just removed the bag option like how the other games do it iirc.

View attachment 365805

There's a global and local room aspect.
View attachment 365807
Here on the summary screen we can see that (I'm assuming) BDSP has its own mark like the pentagon, and the game is keeping the modern 6 digit IDs. I think that Normal type icon is new as well. Also, Bidoof is mentioned as Pokedex No. 399 which is its NATIONAL specification. In another scrolling screenshot Bidoof is shown to be #13 so I think this confirms National Dex numberings will be acknowledged in some form.
View attachment 365806
View attachment 365808
I thought this was a pretty plain entry, but it's the exact same as the original Diamond.
My theory is the new Normal Type icon is loosely based on Bidoof's head because of the "ears" at the top.

1629299464902.png

I'm honestly intrigued by this...
1629299495146.png

The screenshot actually shows the 2 trainers *moving toghether*, not just the "you're in same team" like in Dynamax adventures.

Could it actually be a combinations of Pal Park and some pseudo multiplayer?

View attachment 365809

View attachment 365810
The screenshot actually shows the 2 trainers *moving toghether*, not just the "you're in same team" like in Dynamax adventures.

The original underground you could see people running around too iirc (or at the very least, you could see them interacting with walls and warping in/out around the underground), so this seems like the logical extension of it.

Just, if you're all connected together, you can wander around all in the same instance.

Return is confirmed as well.
View attachment 365786
Raptor confirmed back to in-game S-Tier. :psysly:

View attachment 365781

This is what I was talking about.
Could mean anything from DLC to Hisuian mons being available to transfer from Legends.

Cope harder.
You sound spiteful. What's wrong? Need to vent?

Yeah, but just pretend it never existed. Most of this "We want the Battle Frontier back" flame is because of that particular tease in ORAS.
:smogduck:

Or, we played Emerald, Plat, and HGSS and have good memories of these Frontiers??? What kind of take is this? lmaooooo

Nat. Dex number on the Summary screen? Is there any precedent for this? Legit question, I don't remember.

View attachment 365809

View attachment 365810

Regardless, Online Underground is going to make getting Spiritomb very easy.

Now that I'm done replying...

Those of you that slandered BDSP will need to fill up this form.
BDSP Apology Form.png

Fantastic additions all-around, the Dex looks very intriguing, still kinda annoyed at the desat filter making the colors wack, but otherwise, the game looks amazing.

Gonna be a rough wait.

1629304460938.png

Amity Square seems to be missing, or at least really overgrown. I guess with the following mechanic it'd be redundant, though this does seem to imply that Accessories are totally junked since they already weren't mentioned at all in the Contest section.

Newmoon Island is also absolutely nowhere to be seen (on the Underground map, though there's a coy little cloud on the overworld one) but I guess that didn't make it onto the previous official map anyway.

Other than that, though, and the Pal Park thing, I'm not seeing any differences from the DP map. Even the Meister is still chilling in his house. I wonder what he'll be doing this gen--helping trainers get softlocked again?

The Underground map is also totally gorgeous. Agree with the PMD vibes, though I guess it's not like there's much room for an actual crossover per se.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Newmoon Island is also absolutely nowhere to be seen (on the Underground map, though there's a coy little cloud on the overworld one) but I guess that didn't make it onto the previous official map anyway.
Iirc Newmoon Island wasn't actually acknowledged on the map until you got the Member Card and went there via the old residence in Canalave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)