Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Stantler finally received an evolution with Wyrdeer, which is a very welcome addition. Hopefully Stantler and Wyrdeer will receive a new Fighting type coverage move after the loss of Jump Kick, since I assume that it won't return in PL:A. Close Combat is a plausible candidate, considering its wider distribution in SwSh and how Xerneas is able to learn it.

Basculegion is downright scary in terms of its battle prowess, under the assumption that it's both faster and a stronger than Basculin. The original mon is already way more powerful than most people would think IMO and an evolution that improves on that should be pretty dang strong. Depends on if they gave it a physical Ghost move that's not Phantom Force. Just want to say too that this is one of the best interpretations of the Ghost-type I've seen in a while.
Makes me wonder if Basculegion will get a new move that's a ghost-type Double-Edge. Which would fit the flavour established with Basculin, but may be too busted with Basculegion if it keeps Rock Head/Reckless/Adaptability.

As for other good physical Ghost type move options, I reckon Poltergeist might be off-limits to Basculegion. If Dragapult couldn't learn it, then I struggle to see how Basculegion would be able to.

As for other good physical Ghost type move options, I reckon Poltergeist might be off-limits to Basculegion. If Dragapult couldn't learn it, then I struggle to see how Basculegion would be able to.
Considering (almost) every recent new evolution or new pokemon family has received a signature move or signature ability, Basculegion getting a signature ghost attack isn't something I'd exclude.

(and well, to be fair, there's also what Count Bleck said: even if it keeps the 80 base spatk, which is unlikely and might be higher, adaptability shadow ball would still hurt and make up for a interesting mixed attacker)

Since ranked battle will still be in SwSh, can we expect the new Mons will be patched in? Seems kinda bs to introduce these and not make them available but it’s Gamefreak so…
I stated it earlier, it's almost guaranteed they will in a free update since Home compatibility is already confirmed.

(Obviously it's gamefreaks so I don't give it a 100%, but very likely to happen since they will want people to use their new toys competitively)

There are a bit more stats shown in the actual trailer.

1629307410616.png

A Level 28 Vulpix has 87 HP (38 base).

Quick Attack is down from 30 to 20 PP, in line with Aqua Jet.
Flame Wheel is down from 25 to 20 PP.

I believe the icon to the right is an effectiveness indicator with Quick Attack/Flame Wheel being a NVE triangle against Growlithe (Fire/Rock), and Hex's white dot being neutral.

The NVE text starts playing immediately after HP starts going down quickly which is a nice speed improvement.

Lv45 Rhydon has 223 HP. (105 base)
Lv60 Crobat has 231 HP. (85 base)
Lv60 Lucario has 196 HP and goes down to 77 from the boss Luxray's Wild Charge. (70 base)

1629307392485.png

It seems stat buffs are indicated here by the arrow icons (Lucario after using Agile Calm Mind). It's not confirmed because there's a cut in between (likely still showing Lucario taking its free turn), but afterwards it's shown that Calm Mind is missing 2 PP instead of 1. This is probably a drawback to just spamming the styles for free turns.
1629307397279.png

EDIT: Also Hex isn't styleable here, which may mean some moves are designed to fall off later or there's some method to unlock them like Z-moves, which could be why Aqua Jet wasn't styleable but Quick Attack is in this clip. As for Swords Dance, I think it could be unchanged but innately Strong Style related and lower your action speed to contrast Aqua Jet, and probably not that available earlygame outside of natural learners. This is all just theories though.

Last edited:
Does this game have online or not? If not are these Pokemon being added to Showdown? Will it be considered a shift of generations? Or is none of that certain/known yet?

Noticed a little detail on Serebii. Growlithe is the "Scout" Pokemon and Braviary is the "Battle Cry" Pokemon. Normal Growlithes and Braviarys are the "Puppy" and "Valiant" Pokemon respectively.

Not sure if it means anything, just wanted to point it out. Also, I feel like new forms for the starters are all but guaranteed.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Adding on to what I had mentioned earlier the inclusion of Wyrdeer and Basculegion mean that both Stantler and Basculin might be eligable for LC and NFE in some fashion. This does depend on cross-compatibility with either BDSP or SWSH and if these new forms/species end up available in those games, and we don't know how BDSP's battle mechanics might differ from SWSH with the former being the more likely candidate for the new Pokemon being available.

I doubt either would last long in LC just by sheer stats alone but NFE is a much stronger environment and should be able to house Stantler at the very least.

Similarly both should be able to utilize Eviolite as long as the item exists and their evolutions are present.

You know what, screw it, here's a question for you all:

What Pokemon would you like to see get new evolutions or Hisurian forms?

I really hope Zangoose and Seviper get new evolutions. I just think they're really cool Pokemon that have lot of potential for new evolutions, and it could give new lore on their rivalry.

I don't have any particular preferences for Hisurian forms, but I hope that some Gen 6/7 Pokemon get Hisurian forms.
Probably ultra-basic but it would be awesome to see new forms for Dialga and Palkia since this game is based on a past version of Sinnoh. Specifically since we've had both Primal forms of Dialga in PMD and Groudon + Kyogre in ORAS I don't see why they wouldn't want to expand on that idea further, unless they're not sure how to reinstate the admittedly basic Primal Dialga design compared to that of the Weather Duo. Same for other legends like maybe Giratina or the Lake Guardians.

I don't have any other preferences besides that there's more than the ones we were shown today, which I imagine there will be.

It's stated to be a full single player with no PvP.
It's also stated to have trading, however (which makes sense anyway due to trade evos)
So it does have trading, I suppose it will be a generation refresh (much like ORAS etc) as far Smogon is concerned then, thanks.

Some thoughts about what was shown here as well.

- I liked seeing various locations from the game. Like BD/SP, it seems to have been improved graphically, which is excellent.
- I don’t really understand the new battle system or the new gameplay mechanics in full detail yet, but I guess it will get clear when I play the game… if I end up getting it, that is. At least it seems to still be rather simple, and you can still battle wild Pokémon before catching them, which is great.
- The two different styles are interesting. One faster but weaker, and one stronger but slower. Cool. The similarities to Urshifu and its two forms have been mentioned, and I wonder if there is any connection there.
- It seems like (some) Pokémon can enter a “rage mode” or something where they get very aggressive? Interesting. And it seems like your trainer can black out from taking damage as well, which is very surprising but cool.
- You need to do more than just catch Pokémon for the Pokédex. Very interesting, that feels like it will make completing the Dex a bit more in-depth than usual.
- Base camps seem to be the way to rest here. Makes sense since I guess there are no Pokémon Centers.
- Crafting has the potential to be good as well. I hope it is better than the Cram-o-Matic though.
- Smoke Bombs to hide, cool. And Heavy Balls are there too. I wonder if we will see the other Apricorn Balls as well.
- I was surprised to see that the region is named Hisui and not Sinnoh. I guess it will just become Sinnoh in the future, or maybe in the game itself as you keep playing? Also, unless I’m mistaken, isn’t “Hisui” Japanese for “Jade”? I have a memory of reading that in a Fairy Tail chapter many years ago. I wonder what the region being named Hisui means, if it even means anything at all.
- Missions and the Galaxy Team, that sounds okay to me. Definitely feels different from standard Pokémon games.
- Jubilife Village, very interesting. It will obviously become Jubilife City later on. It reminds me of a similar thing from Torna in XC2, where you get to visit Torigoth Village in Torna and it later becomes a full city in Torigoth in the main game. Though Torigoth Village was burned down in Torna and there wasn’t a lot to see there, but it seems to be different with Jubilife Village, so that’s cool.
- I really like the game map, love the old style it has.
- Kamado definitely reminds me of Prof Rowan. Cyllene looks a little like Cyrus but I think there’s some notable differences. And the player characters look like Lucas/Dawn.
- I wonder if this game will be able to connect to other games/Home? Will it be able to interact with other games at all? Notably BD/SP, it feels like there could be a connection between them.
- It seems like there’s online trading at least, which requires NSO. So that’s at least something, it means you will be able to connect with other L:A players at least.
- Will there be trainer battles in the game, or just battles against wild Pokémon? If there are trainer battles, how will they work?
- No ranked battles here (or in BD/SP, for that matter). That’s okay, I’m not into ranked battles anyway.
- I am a bit worried about how they will handle the open world. Notably, the levels of the wild Pokémon in the open world. I think it would be the best if you could see the levels on the map, like in the Xenoblade series. But other than that, you should be able to get a good idea from the Pokémon itself. A Shinx will probably be at a low level while a Luxray is bound to be at a high level, for instance. Though that’s not really perfect or optimal.
- New Pokémon, awesome! One of the biggest selling points for me so far. Wyrdeer and Basculegion are freaking amazing and that’s not just my opinion, it is an objective fact that you cannot argue against. I really love how they gave new evolutions to two previously unloved Pokémon that needed more love. Great choices!
- Hisuian forms too, fantastic! Growlithe and Braviary both look great.
- As mentioned by someone else, they do not focus only on Gen 1 either, which is great as usual. 1 from Gen 1 and one from Gen 5. The two new evos are for Pokémon from Gen 2 and Gen 5. I approve of this so hard.
- It also seems like Braviary, Wyrdeer and Basculegio help you travel around the region, cool. They feel like Poké Rides, which means there will hopefully not be any HMs which is great.
- Other than those, their pre-evos and the starters, it seems to be mostly Pokémon from the (Platinum) Sinnoh Dex in the games. Which makes sense since it is pre-Sinnoh. But I wonder if there will be more Pokémon from the other regions as well.
- I also wonder if the new Pokémon will be available in Home, S/S and/or BD/SP?
- The early gift here is a Hisuian Growlithe based outfit. Not as cool as Manaphy but better than nothing at least.

Great trailer and nice new info here as well. Like for BD/SP, my hype/interest level is higher than before. Especially because of the new Pokémon and the Hisuian forms, those are a way bigger selling point for me than “open world”, lol. Still unsure about getting this game though, mostly for the same reasons as listed in the other thread. I am also not sold on the open world concept or the overall gameplay yet. But I have 5 months left to decide, maybe I’ll get it on the release date as a late birthday present. Or maybe not. We’ll see.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I am really interested to see if the Galaxy exploration team has any ties to Team Galactic/has a more sinister plot behind a friendly facade à la Aether Foundation.
I also wonder if Jubilife Village will expand as you progress through the story or side quests, with incoming NPCs bringing more side quests, etc.

I am really interested to see if the Galaxy exploration team has any ties to Team Galactic/has a more sinister plot behind a friendly facade à la Aether Foundation.
I also wonder if Jubilife Village will expand as you progress through the story or side quests, with incoming NPCs bringing more side quests, etc.
I feel like there's going to be a lot of uh...what's the term I'm looking for....Irony? Maybe?
That is, Galaxy Exploration is entirely on the up & up, but there's going to be dialog and events that imply they hope to continue this work for years to come when we all know where Cyrus takes it

Updated Hisui checklist:

Pokemon Legends Checklist - 2021-08-18.png

Color code:
- Green: this Pokemon is present in the Hisui Pokedex,
- Dark Green: this Pokemon has a Hisuian Form / Hisuian Evolution,
- Grey: this Pokemon is an Evolution of an Alternate Form of a confirmed Pokemon.

New confirmations:

- Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable,
- Vulpix, Ninetales,
- Zubat, Golbat, Crobat,
- Growlithe, Arcanine (Hisuian),
- Machop, Machoke, Machamp,
- Tentacool, Tentacruel,
- Geodude, Graveler, Golem,
- Ponyta, Rapidash,
- Magnemite, Magneton, Magnezone,
- Onix, Steelix,
- Tangela, Tangrowth,
- Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, (Mr. Rime?),
- Magby, Magmar, Magmortar,
- Magikarp, Gyarados,
- Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon,
- Munchlax, Snorlax,

- Bonsly, Sudowoodo,
- Aipom, Ambipom,
- Yanma, Yanmega,
- Murkrow, Honchkrow,
- Gligar, Gliscor,
- Heracross,
- Teddiursa, Ursaring,
- Swinub, Piloswine, Mamoswine,
- Stantler (Hisuian?),

- Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox,
- Nosepass, Probopass,
- Snorunt, Glalie, Froslass,

- Kricketot, Kricketune,
- Pachirisu,
- Buizel, Floatzel,
- Shellos, Gastrodon,
- Buneary, Lopunny,
- Glameow, Purugly,
- Stunky, Skuntank,
- Chatot,
- Hippopotas, Hippowdon,
- Skorupi, Drapion,
- Croagunk, Toxicroak,
- Carnivine,
- Snover, Abomasnow,

- Basculin (Hisuian?),
- Rufflet, Braviary (Hisuian).

The only newly revealed Pokemon that weren’t present in the Expanded Platinum Pokedex are the Teddiursa line, Vulpix line, and all the Pokemon that got a new Evolution or a new regional Form. Personally, I think that Hisuian Basculin and Hisuian Stantler do exist. I believe that this is the same situation as the one we had with Sirfetch’d, where the new evolution was revealed early on in the promotional material, while the Galarian Farfetch’d was not shown at all until SwSh got leaked.

The majority of Pokemon revealed so far were already present in the original DPPt. This makes me believe that we are likely to get all of them. If so, I wonder how the obviously man-made Porygon line will be handled. Notably, Purugly was clearly shown in Pokemon Presents – this is its first appearance in a regional Pokedex since its debut in Gen IV (not counting the remakes).

I wonder what Game Freak will do with Mr. Rime. In Galar, Persian and Cofagrigus were present in the Pokedex alongside Perrserker and Runerigus. If other regional Forms somehow exist in this game it’s possible Mr. Rime will get the same treatment as those two.

Interestingly, Abilities are still not shown or mentioned anywhere in the promotional materials for this game, not even on the pages of the newly revealed Pokemon. I think Abilities as we know them may not be present in Legends after all…

I liked pretty much everything that was shown today, especially the newly revealed Evolutions and regional Forms. Stantler finally got some love.
This game certainly shows promise. I’m looking forward to it.

I mean their logo are very similar so I expect them to be proto-Galactic.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
So I decided to have a little fun with the canonocity of this game, as it's very much designed to be a lore-building title. Surprisingly, it seems to somewhat fit with Tajiri's vision; I initially thought it to be some kind of full retcon intending to divorce from Tajiri's canon in favour of starting in Johto's stuff. For context, DYKG did a video on the original canon for Pokemon, translated from a book by Nob Ogasawara. It's a 3-part series, but the first is all that's necessary for what's here. It's as official as it gets, with Ken Sugimori providing the sketches which would become known as the Blue art set. It is the earliest form of Pokemon lore and I implore you to have a look, it's absolutely fantastic.

To clarify, Pokemon canon has never been concrete, but I always like to have a little fun with it from time to time, especially with Sinnoh's rich storytelling. The book's canon has been partially retconned a few times, such as Archen replacing Aerodactyl as the first bird, but it has generally been stuck to in a majority of areas.

To summarise the original Kanto lore from the book, the initial 30 Pokemon discovered were in 18th century France (not Kalos, France!) by "Baron Tajirin", which later became foundations for stuff in England, Germany, etc, and eventually Kanto in Japan. "Professor Nishinomori" - whose descendent, Professor Westood V, would have an anime appearance - would do further studies, putting Japan at the forefront and bringing the discovered number of Pokemon up to 80. Finally Professor Oak would bring it up to 150 and develop the Pokedex, which Professor Westwood V is stated to have contributed to, making up some data according to the anime (although this is stated to be a separate canon). At the time of the book, Mew was unreleased and thus "undiscovered", to my knowledge. A lot of the content in the book mirrors the development history of Pokemon Red and Green, which is really cool in my opinion. I also find it pretty surprising that the Westwoods line up so well in terms of lineage, as "5th" lines up pretty well with the years between ~1850 and 1996.

Merc. helped me out a bit here in my personal server, helping to "date" Hisui, as our only description for this is "hundreds". It sort of fits into the Little Ice Age, placing it around the 17th century if we're talking late. This is partially supported by the region being more covered in ice than before and having less landmass underwater (compare the maps, flip 45 degrees counterclockwise, s/o Fig). Because of this, it is shockingly well-placed in the time continuum. The art style is also sort of reminiscent of this era as well, specifically the Tokugawa Shogunate. Naturally this is all educated "guessing" based on real-life areas, but it seems that we're sticking to the time frame nicely, and thus I'd wager that this story could possibly reflect Japan's side when studying Pokemon in that lore. Perhaps Professor Oak "localised" much of the information?

Some more stuff from Merc;
also do keep in mind I could also be thinking of the Meiji Restoration as the style also may have had a resurgence during that time period which was when the traditional ink style was combined with the 'realistic' styles from Europe to make amazing art from the period. I want to say that it was during that time as the "modernization" of the Hisui society seems to begin during the game's time period as it is when Japan started to become a regional powerhouse in Asia but then again
industrialization did begin with the Shogunate to some extent so the observation might be correct anyhow
There is one area of concern though, which is that the "Pokedex" in Legends is seemingly intended to be the first one. This somewhat contradicts the events of RBY, wherein Professor Oak is stated to have created the first model, "HANDY505". Then again, Professor Oak is never stated to have written the entries - only inventing it - with Professor Westwood V among a few others being shown to have written their own.

I'm kind of shocked that this fits together so well.

Obviously kind of spitballing or whatever, but I really like discussing canon for this series as it's pretty deep.

Last edited:
I'll be sincerely disappointed if the two don't end up being linked in some way.

All I want to know is if I can transfer to this game my Stantler and Basculin to evolve them
Home compatibility is confirmed, so the only reason for this to be a "no" should be if their pre-evolution is a regional form.

Which unfortunately might need to wait until the release or close to.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'll be sincerely disappointed if the two don't end up being linked in some way.
This is basically theorycrafting, but perhaps the documentation of Hisui's local legends, including Dialga and Palkia (but omitting Giratina because it never bothered showing up?) and, obviously, Arceus was found or translated down the line by Cyrus (potentially a family heirloom given who is in charge) and used to kickstart his plot?
Upon finding the "Galaxy Exploration" reports, he decided to name his organization Team Galactic?

Ema Skye

Work!
Looking at the list of confirmed mons so far, all of the non-cross gen Gen 4 mons are in except for:
  • the berry tree mons (Burmy, Cherubi and Combee)
  • the fossils (Craniados and Shieldon)
  • the static encounters (Spiritomb, Rotom and Drifloon)
  • and Finneon
Finneon sticks out here so my hypothesis at the moment is that there is a regional Finneon line. The rest of these Pokemon could be given special mechanics or are quest exclusive (Spiritomb's lore mentions it being created 500 years ago which fits with the feudal era of this game).

I also suspect that, outside of Oshawott and Rowlet, there won't be any Gen 5-8 mons that aren't connected to a new evolution or regional form (Sylveon and maybe Mr. Rime being exceptions due to being cross-generational). I'm also theorizing regional forms for the starters as they evolve and adapt to this new region.

So I decided to have a little fun with the canonocity of this game, as it's very much designed to be a lore-building title. Surprisingly, it seems to somewhat fit with Tajiri's vision; I initially thought it to be some kind of full retcon intending to divorce from Tajiri's canon in favour of starting in Johto's stuff. For context, DYKG did a video on the original canon for Pokemon, translated from a book by Nob Ogasawara. It's a 3-part series, but the first is all that's necessary for what's here. It's as official as it gets, with Ken Sugimori providing the sketches which would become known as the Blue art set. It is the earliest form of Pokemon lore and I implore you to have a look, it's absolutely fantastic.

To clarify, Pokemon canon has never been concrete, but I always like to have a little fun with it from time to time, especially with Sinnoh's rich storytelling. The book's canon has been partially retconned a few times, such as Archen replacing Aerodactyl as the first bird, but it has generally been stuck to in a majority of areas.

To summarise the original Kanto lore from the book, the initial 30 Pokemon discovered were in 18th century France (not Kalos, France!) by "Baron Tajirin", which later became foundations for stuff in England, Germany, etc, and eventually Kanto in Japan. "Professor Nishinomori" - whose descendent, Professor Westood V, would have an anime appearance - would do further studies, putting Japan at the forefront and bringing the discovered number of Pokemon up to 80. Finally Professor Oak would bring it up to 150 and develop the Pokedex, which Professor Westwood V is stated to have contributed to, making up some data according to the anime (although this is stated to be a separate canon). At the time of the book, Mew was unreleased and thus "undiscovered", to my knowledge. A lot of the content in the book mirrors the development history of Pokemon Red and Green, which is really cool in my opinion. I also find it pretty surprising that the Westwoods line up so well in terms of lineage, as "5th" lines up pretty well with the years between ~1850 and 1996.

Merc. helped me out a bit here in my personal server, helping to "date" Hisui, as our only description for this is "hundreds". It sort of fits into the Little Ice Age, placing it around the 17th century if we're talking late. This is partially supported by the region being more covered in ice than before and having less landmass underwater (compare the maps, flip 45 degrees counterclockwise, s/o Fig). Because of this, it is shockingly well-placed in the time continuum. The art style is also sort of reminiscent of this era as well, specifically the Tokugawa Shogunate. Naturally this is all educated "guessing" based on real-life areas, but it seems that we're sticking to the time frame nicely, and thus I'd wager that this story could possibly reflect Japan's side when studying Pokemon in that lore. Perhaps Professor Oak "localised" much of the information?

There is one area of concern though, which is that the "Pokedex" in Legends is seemingly intended to be the first one. This somewhat contradicts the events of RBY, wherein Professor Oak is stated to have created the first model, "HANDY505". Then again, Professor Oak is never stated to have written the entries - only inventing it - with Professor Westwood V among a few others being shown to have written their own.

I'm kind of shocked that this fits together so well.

Obviously kind of spitballing or whatever, but I really like discussing canon for this series as it's pretty deep.
This will probably take more Legends games but I want to eventually make a list of things that each region created themselves and what was cultural diffusion.

breh

強いだね
and Finneon
Even gamefreak forgot finneon lmao

On a serious note one thing I didn't think about is that dive isn't really realistic given that there's no magic "breathe underwater" item like there is in the anime / games. This makes encountering deep sea pokemon kind of difficult so the only way you could find sea pokemon is at the water's surface or, at best, in short underwater dives? idk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)