Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

mixed defenses pivot, usually bullet punch roost uturn swords dance with heavy-duty boots. this is the most common set and spread I've seen recently.
its niche is checking grass, weavile, lele and kyurem on specific volturn bulky offenses. the swords dance slot can feature knock off or defog as well, but I would never run scizor without uturn in this meta as its role in the meta is being a pivot.
Thanks

What are the main Pokemon that Tapu Fini traps? I've seen trapper fini on a couple of teams and want to try them out, but I'm not sure what I should try to target with it.

What are the main Pokemon that Tapu Fini traps? I've seen trapper fini on a couple of teams and want to try them out, but I'm not sure what I should try to target with it.
Most notably Toxapex, but also slower Heatran, support variants of Clefable, Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip, occasionally Skarmory... If it's a slow bulky mon that lacks a super-effective move or other way to seriously damage Fini, it probably gets trapped.

What’s the hardest Toxtricity counter in the game? I can’t beat it. It just does 80% to the grounds and volt switches Blissey/Ferrothorn to death until Boombursf 2HKOs. Shedinja doesn’t even work because it gets snarled.

What’s the hardest Toxtricity counter in the game? I can’t beat it. It just does 80% to the grounds and volt switches Blissey/Ferrothorn to death until Boombursf 2HKOs. Shedinja doesn’t even work because it gets snarled.
I'll just list off the things that I found while browsing the pokemon list that can take all hits that toxtricity can dish out without getting 2hkod while not getting switched on(in rough order of viability, even though it goes off into absolute garbage very fast, also this is for the specs set):
excadrill
rhyperior
steelix
specially defensive togedemaru
stunfisk-galar
eviolite pupitar(now there is some true garbage, but spd variants, actually tank all hits quite well)

as you see, the list of defensive switch ins to toxtricity that don't give momentum is quite short, and none of them except for togedemaru have any way to maintain longevity, so you preferably want some way to punish toxtricity for coming in like rocks and a lot of spikes if you want to play a stall team against it, so it can't constantly come in and threaten your walls, and wish support is appreciated for most of them

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
AV Gking is probably it's best answer:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 155-183 (39.3 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Toxtricity Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 90-106 (22.8 - 26.9%) -- 38.5% chance to 4HKO

Paired with a mon that handles boomburst, you should be able to scout the specs set with Gking,
Another option is running a tad bit of attack as well as EQ, not only do you get a good Heatran Answer, but you can also OHKO Toxtricity with EQ!
52 Atk Slowking-Galar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Toxtricity: 292-348 (100.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Can we fix the default heatran set that has lava plume? Not only is magma storm better 9/10 times in SM OU, but it makes absolutely no sense to pair it with protect.

How do i describe a Pokémon and a team?
What are the terminologies?

op by Celticpride

This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering, to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was Swagger unbanned???" or "Was Unaware nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help / info check the Orange Islands subforum; Uncharted Territory is for competitive discussion only.

As a reminder because something like this is posted often:
  • In threads discussing the metagame, do not assume any particular Pokémon nor abilities are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be banned, suspected, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon or abilities will be banned. Likewise, don't suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be unbanned.
  • Do NOT talk about dropping Pokemon from Ubers. This is not the place for that. PM a council member if you want more information.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
2 questions

What are the best defensive Buzzwole sets?

What are the best CB ttar sets?
Defensive Buzzwole is never worth using unless you are running some very fat team that desperately needs an Urshifu-R switch-in, but if you do want to use it, a spread of 252 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 112 Spe Impish with Drain Punch, Ice Punch, Roost, and Toxic or Bulk Up is the best set to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Band Urshifu-R.

Choice Band Tyranitar will usually run Stone Edge, Crunch or Assurance, Fire Punch, and either Ice Punch, Heavy Slam or Rock Blast with maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Defensive Buzzwole is never worth using unless you are running some very fat team that desperately needs an Urshifu-R switch-in, but if you do want to use it, a spread of 252 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 112 Spe Impish with Drain Punch, Ice Punch, Roost, and Toxic or Bulk Up is the best set to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Band Urshifu-R.

Choice Band Tyranitar will usually run Stone Edge, Crunch or Assurance, Fire Punch, and either Ice Punch, Heavy Slam or Rock Blast with maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature.
Speaking of Tyranitar, is lash out a good alternative for crunch because you know, Landorus? And also, is there anything that Tyranitar needs to outspeed aside from non -spe nature Corvinight?

I asked about this bc you said in your VR post that buzzwole is one of the few switch ins to CB ttar
Strange that defensive buzzwole is now almost never worth using...
ty for the sets though

What's the best ID + Press Zone set/spread nowadays?
252 Def / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

Defense for body press damage, speed for uninvested Heatran

SETS: iron defense - body press - thunderbolt are mandatory
Possible variants:
:Chople berry: + Toxic
:Leftovers: + Substitute
:Air balloon: can be used with either toxic or substitute

----

Alternatively,
Magnezone @ Expert Belt
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 Def / 196 SpA / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Ebelt makes up for lower defense investment when it comes to body press damage, but also allows to ohko corviknight after rocks and for flash cannon to significantly pressure clefable

Speed IVs are changeable, but i'd at least run enough to outspeed Skarmory (I believe it's 84 Speed EVs)

Last edited:
Might be the wrong thread for this question. But what happens with the new game releases. Will they be seperate metas like Lets Go, rr will they become part of the gen 8 OU?

Might be the wrong thread for this question. But what happens with the new game releases. Will they be seperate metas like Lets Go, rr will they become part of the gen 8 OU?
I assume that Legends: Arceus would be its own metagame like LGPE, but BDSP would probably be compatible with the current Gen 8 meta.

Does anyone have any Godlike Scizor sets they can share with me?
Aside from the regular pivot Scizor - which I encourage you to run with Rocky Helmet if you can afford it - I don't really have much. Scizor's niche is very specific, the only set I can see working is speedy Life Orb SD on screens HO with either Sand Tomb or Superpower to lure Heatran and Pex with the former

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
what do ppl run on buzzwole now? there's

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 152 HP / 168 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Roost
- Leech Life
on the strategy dex, idk what the evs are for tho

IPF

sundown
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Roost
- Leech Life
188 speed lets you outspeed stuff like adamant Bisharp, 152 HP lets you live 2 banded Kart smart strikes guaranteed, rest into attack. Personally I would run ThunderPunch>Leech Life now to hit stuff like Pex and Corv on attempted pivots, but this spread is still the preferred one on bulky offenses.

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Roost
- Leech Life
188 speed lets you outspeed stuff like adamant Bisharp, 152 HP lets you live 2 banded Kart smart strikes guaranteed, rest into attack. Personally I would run ThunderPunch>Leech Life now to hit stuff like Pex and Corv on attempted pivots, but this spread is still the preferred one on bulky offenses.
to add onto this, here's a spread I made a while back. my team was a bit susceptible to weavile so I changed from your spread to this one that takes a boosted triple axel from adamant weavile after rocks. speed was cut to 224 which is crowded by Pokémon who like to outspeed modest magnezone like bulky heatran, bulky fini and spdef lando

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 228 HP / 148 Atk / 12 Def / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Roost
- Leech Life / Thunder Punch

A healing stab to hit weavile is very handy to retain a somewhat healthy buzzwole after the fight with weavile, but it's by no means necessary

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)