Online Competition Mythical Melee

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1629963336331.jpeg

⚠ NEW ONLINE COMPETITION ⚠

RULES:
  • Battle Type: Single Battles (bring 6, pick 3)
  • Same Pokémon: Not allowed
  • Same Items: Not allowed
  • Eligible Pokémon:
    • Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina, Cresselia, Victini, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Volcanion, Type: Null, Silvally, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow, Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon, Zeraora, Meltan, Melmetal, Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, Kubfu, Urshifu, Zarude, Regieleki, Regidrago, Glastrier, Spectrier, and Calyrex.
    • Each Pokémon in your Battle Team must have the Galar symbol or battle-ready symbol.

This one will be weird with ONLY legends allowed. I would have liked to get No Holds Barred 3.0 but maybe we’ll get that eventually. The only time we’ve gotten a legends-only format was Rotation battles in gen 6, and Groudon under Trick Room with Gravity support was insane. No idea what will be good here though, what do you guys think??

Awesome, I was waiting for another competition that allows mythicals, they're the only ones I try to make sure to play. I probably won't have time to prepare anything and will just slap a team together, but looking forward to it. My main goal, as always, is to try and build a team on which Marshadow can put some work.

This one seems like it will be tricky compared to the no holds barred competitions due to the busted speed of zacian and calyrex-s, with little in the way of support to offset those stats. No webs support, and tailwind looks like it comes down to yveltal and tornadus? I don't have any experience with whether effective tailwind is in 3v3 though. Seems like trick-room may be more consistent. In a mythical format I would usually use Magearna as a TR setter, but I was a bit surprised to see how much damage behemoth blade does to uninvested-in-def Magearna. Maybe DM Necrozma is a better choice for this format.

Is a good metagame, but for some reason Eternatus-Eternamax can be played. Isn't fair, becuase you can't play it in the game and because it have cosmic BST and moveset. I hope it'll be banned.

Because this is 3v3, stealth rocks should be much rarer than in 6v6 AG (which I play). This means Necrozma dusk mane pretty much hard walls zacian (with rocks, assurance 2HKOs it on the switch), and yveltal stops calyrex.

Is dynamax allowed?

Because this is 3v3, stealth rocks should be much rarer than in 6v6 AG (which I play). This means Necrozma dusk mane pretty much hard walls zacian (with rocks, assurance 2HKOs it on the switch), and yveltal stops calyrex.

Is dynamax allowed?
Dynamax is allowed

The different problem is that Eternamax Eternatus is allowed on pokemon showdown ladder by mistake...

Clas

om majors 2nd place, in 0 om opens r3 (god gamer)
is a Tiering Contributor
rarer people, id still be wary of the occasional rocks from groudon or lando-t. even then tho, yveltal still walls caly-s unless its an anti-yveltal set (be wary of those lol)

also eternamax is pain lol, glad thats getting fixed

Is Yveltal even that viable without Roost?
Yes! First of all, Yveltal learns roost in gen 8. But even without roost, it is a great pokemon in general. Dark stab is amazing with all the psychics in the format, sucker punch is good priority, and it is a good dynamax sweeper with stab max airstream. Along with dusk mane, it is my top pick for this competition.

Last edited:
Yes! First of all, Yveltal learns roost in gen 8. But even without roost, it is a great pokemon in general. Dark stab is amazing with all the psychics in the format, sucker punch is good priority, and it is a good dynamax sweeper with stab max airstream. Along with dusk mane, it is my top pick for this competition.
How? Roost isn't a TM or TR and transfer only moves are banned.

But yeah DM Necro is definetely the best answer against fairies in this meta.
Sadly I can't think of any mythicals to use in this.

How? Roost isn't a TM or TR and transfer only moves are banned.

But yeah DM Necro is definetely the best answer against fairies in this meta.
Sadly I can't think of any mythicals to use in this.
Magearna could make an excellent Trick Room sweeper thanks to Soul-Heart and checking Xerneas. There’s always Marshadow with unresisted coverage and Technician Shadow Sneak.

The new "Mythical Melee" format is not brilliant, but its okay. The teams are super easy to make and people only choose the most powerful pokemon rather than using tactics. Some people would prefer formats with no rules and i stand by their decision! (No-Holds Barred). If something like that comes out, i will do a few backflips.

I don't think its gonna be a massively fun format. 3v3 singles is always really focused on predicting based on what the other guy brings to team preview, and that feels kinda luck based when the format is really short-lived.

Since we almost never get mythicals in official competitions, I'd like to run something really toxic based on baton pass Mew.

As predicted, I ended up having to throw things together at the last minute. I did better than I expected, but largely because life happened and I only had time to get in 9 games (one of which was a turn-2 forfeit after my Regieleki set up reflect and survived a Groudon's precipice blades). In the end I got 7 wins, 2 losses, and ended up at a rating of 1574 and ranked 1230 (out of 27803 registered, but who knows how many actually played)

The team: https://pokepast.es/168d5219e662ca06

Most of the thought I put into the team was based around supporting Marshadow (which it turns out was apparently pretty popular in the format, I don't think it was as high in battle of legends). Essentially, I decided on using Regieleki to set up screens and thunder wave so that Marshadow could survive some hits and dish out choice banded damage, a plan which worked pretty well. I picked scarf Kyogre to also synergize with Regieleki (putting Thunder as Eleki's sole attack to make use of rain if the circumstance arose), and then Zacian because... Zacian. The last two spots were much less well thought out. Iron ball Groudon was my lame trick room "answer" and stealth rocker (I didn't have a 0 speed IV Groudon so this one was Brave 0 EV 31 IV speed...), and at least did something in a game or two. Physical Giratina-O was intended to be another strong ghost option that could one-shot (non-sash) Calyrex-S with sneak and survive a hit from Eternatus and Zacian and then do some damage with Earthquake and/or Wisp, but in practice it was a wasted lot since I never picked it over Marshadow, even against Eternatus because I was afraid of cosmic power and wanted Marshadow to be able to syphon away boosts. That slot would have been better off being an actual Trick room mon like Dusk-Mane Necrozma or maybe Calyrex-I.

While past competition results suggest I would have gone on a losing streak if I'd had time to play more games, I was pleased with how well the team performed in the games I did play, and particularly with the number of times dual screens (and sometimes thunder wave) were pivotal to setting up Marshadow and the rest of the team to win.

All in all, I enjoyed the games I played, and hopefully a doubles mythical melee is on the horizon.

I got up to 1743 pts. with Light Ball Dusk-Mane strats in this, but had three games of slightly bad RNG and one straight up throw in the final session, which led me to resign barely above 1700 with five games to play. Still, finished in the top 150, which is decent I suppose.

2021091311511000-B8FAEF4816CAC2B76D11869B05CA7601.jpg

My battle report, full of more pointless pontification: blog (external site).

The player who got 1st place has shared their team :
Eternatus @ Black Sludge
Ability: Pressure
- Protect
- Substitute
- Dynamax Cannnon
- Recover

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Roost

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prism Armor
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Moonlight

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
- Thousand Arrows
- Glare
- Coil
- Substitute

Zacian-Crowned @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Intrepid Sword
- Behemoth Blade
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Lugia @ Kee Berry
Ability: Multiscale
- Air Slash
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)