Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I really want to make use of an Adamant Inner Focus Lum berry Dragon Dance Dragonite set (phew that was a mouthful).

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Level: 100
Adamant Nature
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

The idea is that with Adamant nature, Dragonite always KOs Toxapex with +1 Earthquake followed by +0 Earthquake, Jolly does not. And lum berry allows you to stomach a burn if the Toxapex got cheeky and tried Scald instead of Haze. This Dragonite also preys on Lando-T that comes in as Dragonite uses Dragon Dance, witnesses its Intimidate being nulled by Inner Focus, and then throws a Toxik that gets nullified by the berry, or a weak Knock Off. This allows Dragonite to get to +2 in the meantime. Then, provided the Lando-T has been slightly weakened beforehand, it gets smacked by +2 Dual Wingbeat:

+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 320-380 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also, Weavile gets OHKO'ed by +2 Extremespeed.

So this set is nice and all, but I'm struggling to build a team around it.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
You’re going to need to pair it with Magnezone or something to overwhelm Corviknight in order to break with it. The main issue here is that you lose the normal niche of Dragonite handling Volcarona, Heatran, Urshifu-R, Rillaboom, etc. due to the lack of Boots and Roost, so I would likely shift to a more hyper offensive team based around pressure and overwhelming them — Scarf Fini feels like a perfect complimentary teammate because of that, too.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
You’re going to need to pair it with Magnezone or something to overwhelm Corviknight in order to break with it. The main issue here is that you lose the normal niche of Dragonite handling Volcarona, Heatran, Urshifu-R, Rillaboom, etc. due to the lack of Boots and Roost, so I would likely shift to a more hyper offensive team based around pressure and overwhelming them — Scarf Fini feels like a perfect complimentary teammate because of that, too.
I really want to make use of an Adamant Inner Focus Lum berry Dragon Dance Dragonite set (phew that was a mouthful).

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Level: 100
Adamant Nature
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

The idea is that with Adamant nature, Dragonite always KOs Toxapex with +1 Earthquake followed by +0 Earthquake, Jolly does not. And lum berry allows you to stomach a burn if the Toxapex got cheeky and tried Scald instead of Haze. This Dragonite also preys on Lando-T that comes in as Dragonite uses Dragon Dance, witnesses its Intimidate being nulled by Inner Focus, and then throws a Toxik that gets nullified by the berry, or a weak Knock Off. This allows Dragonite to get to +2 in the meantime. Then, provided the Lando-T has been slightly weakened beforehand, it gets smacked by +2 Dual Wingbeat:

+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 320-380 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also, Weavile gets OHKO'ed by +2 Extremespeed.

usually on these offense team comps (for what it's worth) you use Weavile as your dragapult answer, so that's also kinda a shooin

Thanks for the heads-up. I've tried Dual Screens Grimmsnarl as my Dragapult answer, not too bad, but definitely a tad too passive. I definitely need to get Corviknight and Ferrothorn out of the way, so yes I'll try Magnezone. A tricky thing is that I need opposing Lando-T to come in on my Dragonite to get my setup opportunity, meaning I must not KO it too soon with other mons. That means I need other guys that'll force Lando-T to stay in the rear, so Weavile definitely seems a nice pick in that regard. I suppose Scarf Tapu Fini can check Heatran and Urshifu. I need some offensive pressure to keep Rillaboom at bay, and get another check for Volc and maybe also Tapu Lele. Maybe Victini? It's a very good Tapu Lele answer, can somewhat deal with Volcarona with V-Create, and check Rillaboom somewhat?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Thanks for the heads-up. I've tried Dual Screens Grimmsnarl as my Dragapult answer, not too bad, but definitely a tad too passive. I definitely need to get Corviknight and Ferrothorn out of the way, so yes I'll try Magnezone. A tricky thing is that I need opposing Lando-T to come in on my Dragonite to get my setup opportunity, meaning I must not KO it too soon with other mons. That means I need other guys that'll force Lando-T to stay in the rear, so Weavile definitely seems a nice pick in that regard. I suppose Scarf Tapu Fini can check Heatran and Urshifu. I need some offensive pressure to keep Rillaboom at bay, and get another check for Volc and maybe also Tapu Lele. Maybe Victini? It's a very good Tapu Lele answer, can somewhat deal with Volcarona with V-Create, and check Rillaboom somewhat?
Victini can absolutely work, it’s a viable option that is gaining more traction as of late. Just be careful as you have to fit a lot into a few slots there — good luck

zReptar

formerly LT83AQ Lou
Honestly, I've been trying to build a team around mantine and I've been really hitting a roadblock. I think a need some help starting and some team ideas. set is shown below with some calcs

Mantine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Roost
252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 171-201 (45.8 - 53.8%) -- approx. 29.7% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 132-156 (35.3 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Scale Shot (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 111-135 (29.7 - 36.1%) -- approx. 22% chance to 3HKO

I was thinking to use it to spread toxic and although it is nu it soft checks some threatening mons. Like I said I have no clue where to go from here :psynervous: I was thinking clef might be an option for a teammate

Which pokemon are the best for melmetal to come in on, as most have ways to pressure it such as knock off removing its way of getting punished by stuff such as helmet chomp, helmet pex, static zap. Or can threaten it with status like zap, pex, bro/king. It just seems very difficult to bring in unless that is just me

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
Which pokemon are the best for melmetal to come in on, as most have ways to pressure it such as knock off removing its way of getting punished by stuff such as helmet chomp, helmet pex, static zap. Or can threaten it with status like zap, pex, bro/king. It just seems very difficult to bring in unless that is just me
melmetal usually switches into fairies and ices - think clefable, tapu lele, kyurem, etc

if you’re having problems with contact effects in particular (rough skin, static, helmets), consider the protective pads set that lets it ignore all of that. thunder wave/toxic, as well as future sight support, also give it good ways to punish defensive mons - but it really excels in offensive matchups where it is able to perform its tank role by trading its HP for huge damage and easy KOs vs unprepared teams.

melmetal usually switches into fairies and ices - think clefable, tapu lele, kyurem, etc

if you’re having problems with contact effects in particular (rough skin, static, helmets), consider the protective pads set that lets it ignore all of that. thunder wave/toxic, as well as future sight support, also give it good ways to punish defensive mons - but it really excels in offensive matchups where it is able to perform its tank role by trading its HP for huge damage and easy KOs vs unprepared teams.
I use pads, but i struggle to switch in because they would just switch out, melm without lefties has no recovery and does not have the best special bulk to even take on threats kyurem more than once. Clef usually packs knock or t wave to my knowledge and usually switching it in does not do much, just like switching a excadrill into clef is not a good idea

Take what I say with a grain of salt since I don't use Melmetal. Most Melm teams I see on the ladder bring it in via U-Turn or double switches. I've also seen it be ran on terrain teams since they can mitigate some of its weaknesses (Misty Terrain makes it immune to status, Electric Terrain powers up Thunder Punch letting it hit Corviknight / Toxapex Harder, Grassy Terrain improves its longevity and makes it less vulnerable to Earthquake).

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Does choice band Tyranitar need to run speed evs? I know that you need to at least outspeed Corvibirb but is there really any reason to max out speed or if going for a specific spread, dump the rest in speed?

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Does choice band Tyranitar need to run speed evs? I know that you need to at least outspeed Corvibirb but is there really any reason to max out speed or if going for a specific spread, dump the rest in speed?
Yeah you need to outspeed Corviknight at least which requires some Speed EVs but not much. Now, you could consider various spreads to outspeed some specific things and I think you don't necessarily need to be full Speed. To see what you can outspeed with a given spread and thus chose one you can check this thread (various Tyranitar spreads are there too): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-ou-speed-tiers.3672175/
On a more general note, this kind of thread is really useful when you are trying to optimize a spread.

Question: is trick room still viable?
Oh it totally is man, some of the hardest hitting Pokémon absolutely NEEDS trick room support for either a sweep or just raw power. Marowak (especially alolan) and calm mind Hattrene are terrifying when in trick room. An awesome trick room setter would most likely be Porygon 2 or slow bulky mons that have trick room (an example would be Stakataka).

zReptar

formerly LT83AQ Lou
Oh it totally is man, some of the hardest hitting Pokémon absolutely NEEDS trick room support for either a sweep or just raw power. Marowak (especially alolan) and calm mind Hattrene are terrifying when in trick room. An awesome trick room setter would most likely be Porygon 2 or slow bulky mons that have trick room (an example would be Stakataka).
Do you happen to have a suggestion for a consistent trick room team?

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Do you happen to have a suggestion for a consistent trick room team?
There is a well known Trick Room team that did pretty well during the OLT qualifiers, you can find it here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-official-olt-viii-discussion-thread.3686963/#post-8912133
I have also seen the same team with Crawdaunt over Golurk, but overall consistent Trick Room teams are all very similar in OU, because there's only a few very efficient setters and some abusers (like Melmetal and Marowak-Alola) are almost always used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)