Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Legends: Arceus is the game I care far more about at this point anyway so it's no big loss for me.

It was already clear from the beginning but this game is more or less playing it safe to an almost extreme degree and exists mainly for either new kids who got into Pokemon with Let's Go or SwSh to experience Sinnoh for the first time or for nostalgics who haven't played Pokemon in over a decade+ who want that good ol' nostalgia trip.

Legends: Arceus is the game that has the bulk of the resources invested in it and that was already obvious from the moment these games were announced. I can always revisit my good ol' Platinum cartridge if BDSP doesn't do it for me but Legends: Arceus is gonna inherently be a more unique and interesting experience for Pokemon and is the game I care far more about right now.

My hopes are and always have been on Legends, hopefully that game turns out to be fun and unique since Pokemon hasn't really "wowed" me since the XY and ORAS days.
The thing is, though, that many of the issues revealed today don't come down to resources. It wouldn't have cost anything more to use Platinum's improved encounter tables or to add an Off button to the Exp. Share. These were conscious decisions no amount of resources could have made a difference with. That's what seems to make people so disappointed. That they went with the decision to implement things the stupid way instead of the improved way.

Or you use more than 6 Pokémon.

I was very consistently underleveled in Sword and Shield with just 16 Pokémon (and I'm planning to use more than twice that amount in these remakes).
Yeah I don't want to do that so instead i get saddled with a play style i dont enjoy or exp problems i also dont enjoy

if only there was some sort of....simple on/off switch.....with which everyone could enjoy with jsut a simple option.................................

I'm almost completely certain that I'm going to get the game after today's confirmation of Mobile PC, which is what was top priority for me.

I'd like to get a little bit more of information about the TMs, though, as that was the only thing I did not like from today's reveals.
I kinda just see it as "TRs are now TMs again", since the most relevant learnable moves in SwSh were TRs.

With that said, I hope TMs in BDSP are as easy to get as TRs, and not locked as something like 64 BP prizes. If any TMs are finite like in original DP, then it would absolutely suck.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
So apparently this preview was done using an old-ass build of the game. As in, a build that predates some of the most recent trailers. Coupled with the fact this exists and yeah it's confirmed.

What the fuck is wrong with this game's marketing? Who's making the active choices to make their product seem inferior? First the nonsense reveal, now this.
Oh. That explains the awkward low-budget MIDI version of a Trainer battle music; it’s just a placeholder to let musicians know about what the melody is for them to replicate in a much higher music quality.

Yeah, the marketing being from awkward to outright bad is nothing new as far as Generation 7 or the beginning of SwSh’s ads are concerned. A 24 hour long of livestream in a still of forest with very, very few interaction in-between hours

As a side note, the final build has likely been sent to the cartridge manufacturers already.

To use Gold and Silver's development as a comparison, one of the last-minute changes for GS happened on October 11th, '99 before their release on November 21st.

It'd be funny if the final game did use 12 space statue placement (or that it varies room to room or can be upgraded but shhh) and that was the final trainer theme, though.

Ok so I haven't been able to watch the preview, did they directly confirm the EXP share is always on, or is that something everybody is assuming?

Sucks if it's the former. I mean I use it but it should definitely be an option

What is going on with this Game's marketing

Why are they using like 15 different builds in every trailer and showcase
Wonder if ilca is resonsible for most of what they show.
They've not really put out a lot of games, they might just be putting together footage that looks good at the time, as they make it.

And let's face it for 80% of the audience who sees these things they're not really going to notice. Hell I'm probably one of the 20% and even I didn't think twice about any of it unless I saw side by side comparisons.

Please kill me. How did it go so wrong so fast.
Today's update pretty much confirmed our greatest fears. The real question is whether this can even beat out the original Diamond & Pearl, forget Platinum.

DP has horrible AI but BDSP's Exp. All almost completely cancels that out in my opinion. I think DP's slow speed might give it a worse ranking, but wow. I can't believe I'm even entertaining this question in my head.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Today's update pretty much confirmed our greatest fears. The real question is whether this can even beat out the original Diamond & Pearl, forget Platinum.

DP has horrible AI but BDSP's Exp. All almost completely cancels that out in my opinion. I think DP's slow speed might give it a worse ranking, but wow. I can't believe I'm even entertaining this question in my head.
I don't care that much about EXP. Share but why? Who the fuck asked for it to be mandatory? Why do they keep doing this?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Please kill me. How did it go so wrong so fast.
I dunno man. Bad PR combined with decisions people don't like/are questionable with both SwSh and now this.

It's safe to say that Gen 8 has been an utter debacle so far. Legends: Arceus better not screw up and invoke yet another debacle for the franchise. My hopes are on that. That game better be something that truly wows people with Pokemon.

Its kind of weird how many people bemoan the exp. All change. Fuck grinding. I know you guys like to make things a bit more diffocult but lets be honest, pokemon games were never hard. We were either in our single digits or early teens if we were struggling with any trainer, and because most of us are adults challenge goes out the window by virtue of the knowledge we gained over the years.

That being said, i remember when i was told that ORAS was too faithful with the environment layouts and i wonder if the strict "faithful remake" is a response to the vocal minority voicing complaints all across the media the last few years... Either way i wasnt expecting too much so i cant say I'm let down, just gonna wait and see what happens.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Its kind of weird how many people bemoan the exp. All change. Fuck grinding. I know you guys like to make things a bit more diffocult but lets be honest, pokemon games were never hard. We were either in our single digits or early teens if we were struggling with any trainer, and because most of us are adults challenge goes out the window by virtue of the knowledge we gained over the years.
I have no problem with features that decrease grinding, or having them on by default. Hell, I like them. Grinding is exhausting. The problem is that you can't turn it off. People who would like to make the game more difficult literally just do not have the option to adjust the difficulty in that way. Why.

Personally I don't mind exp share (in my playthrough of Shield I never felt overleveled at any point (regardless it should still be an option)) so I'm still going to play BDSP, but the one use TMs are going to be a pain in the ass

It's just so interesting how in one fell swoop they instantly angered a lot of the people they managed to win over after the first trailer

That being said, i remember when i was told that ORAS was too faithful with the environment layouts and i wonder if the strict "faithful remake" is a response to the vocal minority voicing complaints all across the media the last few years... Either way i wasnt expecting too much so i cant say I'm let down, just gonna wait and see what happens.
I do not like being super over leveled. It feels bad, for me, and the extra levels absolutely do matter at various points in the game.

The appeal of the old system was: I could keep it off and have a reasonable enough challenge since the enemies were generally some levels above me or at least about on my level as equals. If I felt I was ever behind, I could throw it on for a route or so and be just right. I got significantly more enjoyment out of XY than my friends did because of this, and the occasional level spike got me sweating a little in the various games, which was novel.
Meanwhile, folks who don't care about that can leave it on and enjoy it to their hearts content. Or they can be like siggu and use it as an excuse to get a bunch of party members
It's great for everyone! Grinding is easier if you'd like it (especially with all the other ways to pump up exp), it offers extra play styles, wonderful!

Making it permanently on just sucks for people like me, and it is such a supremely easy thing to offer an option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)