Pokemon BDSP Playthrough Discussion

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all!

I thought I better make up a quick thread where you guys can discuss how you are playing the game! Anything neat you find or stuff we need to know. You can also discuss anything you find difficult or fun about the game here including what your planned teams will be or what your current team is!

It's time to get moving trainers!

I will be playing with this team. In 6 hours, when I get a chance to obtain a Burmy...sigh.

In the mean time, I've made a head canon that Garchomp was the cause of extinction for Shieldon and Bastiodon, and I will make it my mission to have mine avenge its fallen brethren.

1637341024717.png

So this is the team I have prepared before having to leave the Switch charging, which was upon reaching Floaroma town.

I know Budew has low stats and Cranidos has very high Attack... but I did not expect it to be OHKOed by a Bulldoze.

So when is the GWS unlocked? I have a few Pokémon I don't plan on using to see if I can get a Turtwig.

Ok so how do you get a Drifblim? I may want to use Drifloon and even if not I want one for the Pokedex, and I hear it has an odd distribution
There's a Drifloon in Valley Windworks, every Friday.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Just a warning for anyone that hasn't heard yet, walking with your Pokemon raises their affection so you get the OP Anime/Camping stuff like enduring hits with 1 HP, healing status problems, and more getting more Crits.

To "undo" this, you can lower friendship with the herb medicine that you can buy in the town with the Second Gym. If you get Poisoned or Burned, you can spam them against a wild Pokemon to get it done quicker.

By the way, I'll want a Roselia by Level 10 for Leech Seed when I play Brilliant Diamond. Any guesses how long I'll need to run around for to make Budew like me enough to evolve by then? I hope it's less than a half hour.

Just a warning for anyone that hasn't heard yet, walking with your Pokemon raises their affection so you get the OP Anime/Camping stuff like enduring hits with 1 HP, healing status problems, and more getting more Crits.

To "undo" this, you can lower friendship with the herb medicine that you can buy in the town with the Second Gym. If you get Poisoned or Burned, you can spam them against a wild Pokemon to get it done quicker.

By the way, I'll want a Roselia by Level 10 for Leech Seed when I play Brilliant Diamond. Any guesses how long I'll need to run around for to make Budew like me enough to evolve by then? I hope it's less than a half hour.
Well, I don't know how much it takes if you're doing the following stuff, but just running around normally and using items only does a pittance at a time normally so...probably a couple hours honestly.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Assuming its caught at Lv 9 you’d need 9000+ steps. I just waited til Eterna City and caught one in the Underground at Lv 19, had Magical Leaf, Mega Drain, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed.

Just beat Maylene at Veilstone, her Lucario is Lv 30, thanks to EXP Share all my Pokemon are at Lv 31 (sticking to 6 Pokemon)

Ok so how do you get a Drifblim? I may want to use Drifloon and even if not I want one for the Pokedex, and I hear it has an odd distribution
Same as DP, beat Team Galactic at the Windworks, then wait for it to show up on a Friday.

Btw, no, it can't be THIS Friday.

Trying to bumrush to the Grand Underground is 100% a struggle for me rn. Even with how small the joy-cons are, I can hardly hold the 2nd one with my broken hand.

This game is worth it tho. :swole:

P.S.: Almost got unexpectedly smoked by Roark. That Cranidos ain't no joke. :psynervous:

I don't know when I'll get this game. But I'd be curious to know what level a team of six would be at by the time you reach Cynthia, battling all the possible trainers, without grinding, without Rare Candies, and without the Amie experience boost.

If anyone knows that, it would be helpful. It would tell me a lot about this game's level curve.

Why does everybody assume I played the original DP? Maybe I'm a dumb stupid bitch who only played Mario as a child, you ever think of that?

Cringe.
uhhhh, read it as: "For more information, check how it was in DP. It's the exact same."

No one here actually remembers DP, people only played that when they wanted a Murkrow/Misdreavus, and immediately tossed them to Platinum to breed them. Stop overreacting.

I don't know when I'll get this game. But I'd be curious to know what level a team of six would be at by the time you reach Cynthia, battling all the possible trainers, without grinding, without Rare Candies, and without the Amie experience boost.

If anyone knows that, it would be helpful. It would tell me a lot about this game's level curve.
I'm not sure if I'll actually finish the game before the no exp. share cheat is updated, but sure.

Speaking of beating all trainers, it's important for all of y'all to keep this in mind if you want the Nat. Dex.

Between all trainers, you can see almost every single mon in the game barring Legendaries and the like.

Especially the ones in Fantina's Gym.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
I tried and it didn't work. Unless the method is different...
hm
someone reported in the Pokémon Games room they did it, I can't personally vouch on it unfort
a method you CAN try is changing the date to a thursday and wait a day, it SHOULD work and you shouldnt need to wait a week for it

I wanted to use Mothim but now I remember Burmy is only obtained in Honey Trees...

I don't like having to wait so I tried to make a basic Time Skip, but the game acts like I never put Honey on the tree...
This happened in DP too, you just skipped too much time.

It's a little less than 6 full hours, I think 5h should be enough.

The most surprising thing for me so far has been Kricketune being an actual Pokemon. I just had him sitting in the party to evolve for dex stuff, but then he learned Fury Cutter when he evolved. I’ll remind you all, Fury Cutter now goes in a pattern of 40, 80, 160 compared to previous generations.

It’s… crazy lol. Everything between Roark and Gardenia was clicking Fury Cutter. Zubats were even getting OHKOed. I can’t believe they made Kricketune an actual functioning regional bug for part of an in game playthrough.

A little disappointed by how hard fossils are to find so far. I really wanted to use Shieldon, but I can find any fossils in the walls :(

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The most surprising thing for me so far has been Kricketune being an actual Pokemon. I just had him sitting in the party to evolve for dex stuff, but then he learned Fury Cutter when he evolved. I’ll remind you all, Fury Cutter now goes in a pattern of 40, 80, 160 compared to previous generations.

It’s… crazy lol. Everything between Roark and Gardenia was clicking Fury Cutter. Zubats were even getting OHKOed. I can’t believe they made Kricketune an actual functioning regional bug for part of an in game playthrough.

A little disappointed by how hard fossils are to find so far. I really wanted to use Shieldon, but I can find any fossils in the walls :(
Let’s go Kricketune delelele woop wooop :)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Been having fun with Shining Pearl. Onix has shocked me, it's crazy good if you give it Rock Smash and the ones in Oreburgh Mine have shockingly good starting movesets. Bind + Rock Smash can near enough solo Roark if you know what you're doing, as he can't do much back until Cranidos drops.

I'm also really happy with Turtwig having Leafage, starting out with Absorb in DP was utter depression. This makes so much more sense, though it does seem quite strong! Unfortunately, mine was Modest and I'm too lazy to reset so I'll prolly bench it for something else.

Grand Underground is everything I wanted from a DP remake and then some as well. Now to become a back alley Shieldon dealer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)