Pokemon BDSP Playthrough Discussion

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Just browsing through this thread and it feels like at this point we've got to get someone like Kaphotics or another dataminer to look into Affection mechanics in-depth. All of the testimonies I'm hearing are just way too varied with zero rhyme or reason, when you've got everything from "I never even realized it was a thing right through endgame" to "it started triggering at full force before gym 3" there's very clearly something we're not getting here that needs to be researched in greater capacity

If this game has the same *above the ground* item locations as DP, Heart Scales will be in very short supply. I believe there were only two fixed locations in the originals.

And I'm guaranteed to need at least one for Mamoswine.

I made the incredibly stupid decision of trying to do a Hardcore Nuzlocke of Brilliant Diamond for my first ever playthrough of it. I also made the incredibly stupid decision of limiting myself to 3 Pokémon for the first 6 Gym fights.

I actually got pretty far, but Maylene's Lucario got two Metal Claw boosts in a row and fucking destroyed me. I'm just going to play through the rest of the game normally and maybe do a regular Nuzlocke on an alternate profile once I beat the game.

Ok why did Maylene rock my shit?? The first two gym battles were super easy and her gym cronies were nothing special

Then I get to Maylene and everything just...died. I revived Staravia twice and still lost. I mean I guess her Lucario being 2 levels higher than my Grotle didn't help, but still.

This is my Paul vs Brandon moment

E: I shouldn't have talked bad about the cronies. One of them just OHKO'd my Staravia with Revenge :(

If this game has the same *above the ground* item locations as DP, Heart Scales will be in very short supply. I believe there were only two fixed locations in the originals.

And I'm guaranteed to need at least one for Mamoswine.
I can confirm the one in Oreburgh is gone.

Kinda hurt when I clicked that pile and there was nothing in it. :psycry:

Just browsing through this thread and it feels like at this point we've got to get someone like Kaphotics or another dataminer to look into Affection mechanics in-depth. All of the testimonies I'm hearing are just way too varied with zero rhyme or reason, when you've got everything from "I never even realized it was a thing right through endgame" to "it started triggering at full force before gym 3" there's very clearly something we're not getting here that needs to be researched in greater capacity
PkHex got updated. I'mma mess with it real quick and set a mon to 155 Happiness.

Still in Floaroma. Other mons are at 104ish. If the 155 mon starts acting up soon (Won't be immediate because Amie triggers at 180.) We'll know it's literally anything and we're screwed.

Picking 155 because Happiness evos are now 160, so they're guaranteed to be under the hard cap.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Still in Floaroma. Other mons are at 104ish. If the 155 mon starts acting up soon (Won't be immediate because Amie triggers at 180.) We'll know it's literally anything and we're screwed.

Picking 155 because Happiness evos are now 160, so they're guaranteed to be under the hard cap.
Why not just set it to 179 or something to get an immediate result?

I can confirm the one in Oreburgh is gone.

Kinda hurt when I clicked that pile and there was nothing in it. :psycry:
the corner of the slag heap has Stardust, incidentally.
PkHex got updated. I'mma mess with it real quick and set a mon to 155 Happiness.

I would have put them at 170. The hard cap was originaly 179 so...

E: I also kind of wonder if, assuming there's some other trigger, pkhex might either avoid it or just have it on by default

Volt-Ikazuchi Well it happened. While I was rematching Maylene, Grotle toughed it out so I wouldn't feel sad! One thing to keep in mind is I only walked with Grotle in Amity Square and a little bit around Hearthome. After that he was boxed so I could focus on training Cranidos and Buizel without risking overleveling, and took him out of the box around Veilstone, after which I only walked with Staravia and Houndoom.

Anyways, I just beat Maylene. This time she only knocked out Grotle, so suck that Maylene! If I failed that hard against the third gym leader, I'm terrified of what Cynthia is going to do to me.

Other developments: My team is finally finished. Houndoom and "Ralts" are now equal enough level so I can put them on my team. I now have My Man Floatzel, and now Ralts evolved into Kirilia. Soon enough the rest of my team should be fully evolved. I need to go steal Fly so I can move around the map without walking.

Levels: Staravia is level 30, Floatzel is level 29, Kirlia is level 28, Grotle is level 30, Houndoom is level 28, and Cranidos is level 26.

Volt-Ikazuchi Well it happened. While I was rematching Maylene, Grotle toughed it out so I wouldn't feel sad! One thing to keep in mind is I only walked with Grotle in Amity Square and a little bit around Hearthome.
OK so, see, now I have to ask

Are any of your other pokemon getting the bonuses, or is it just your Grotle.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I just wanna bring up this video real quick:

OP has some footage of him fighting Flint in the background, and only their decisively over-leveled Torterra gets affection boosts. I am seriously starting to wonder if the player's starter Pokemon has some sort of special property that makes Affection get accumulated faster and earlier than other Pokemon

I just wanna bring up this video real quick:

OP has some footage of him fighting Flint in the background, and only their decisively over-leveled Torterra gets affection boosts. I am seriously starting to wonder if the player's starter Pokemon has some sort of special property that makes Affection get accumulated faster and earlier than other Pokemon
Their tentacruel has it too, you can tell by the dialog.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Their tentacruel has it too, you can tell by the dialog.
Uhh... no? No "Tentacruel is awaiting directions...", no hopping around, nothing. Please give me the timecode I could just be stupid but I'm not seeing it right now after another review of the footage

Uhh... no? No "Tentacruel is awaiting directions...", no hopping around, nothing. Please give me the timecode I could just be stupid but I'm not seeing it right now after another review of the footage
"Go on Tentacruel I know you can do it"
This is affection dialog

Some other aspects are very inconsistent. In the datamine thread we had that battle against Cynthia, and it seemed like there were some Pokemon not doing the hopping or shaking thing, but would do it in that same player's earlier battle against Flint. Their...Honchkrow & Kadabra, I believe. Others did it in both. And I know that if you dont have the affection at all, yo udont get the "I know you can do it" dialog iirc.

Contrast with their Abomasnow, who just has "Go, Abomasnow". That abomasnow (probably) has noa ffection bonuses.

One thing to keep in mind is I only walked with Grotle in Amity Square and a little bit around Hearthome.
That would be a cause for that. Anything that could push them over the cap is likely a one-way trip.

This is why I'm going out of my way to get some hopefully conclusive results.

"Go on Tentacruel I know you can do it"
This is affection dialog
This triggers in SwSh without affection bonuses, you get it at high friendship, and it's pretty much the last thing before the cap kicks in.

The mark you should be looking for is the hop. If your mon pulls a Magikarp, it's cursed.

That would be a cause for that. Anything that could push them over the cap is likely a one-way trip.

This is why I'm going out of my way to get some hopefully conclusive results.

This triggers in SwSh without affection bonuses, you get it at high friendship, and it's pretty much the last thing before the cap kicks in.

The mark you should be looking for is the hop. If your mon pulls a Magikarp, it's cursed.
In SWSH it seems kick in around the 200 marker, well past the former cap and at the point where you can start surving hits.

Isn't the affection mechanic unlocked by going to Amity Square? ie if you never go in there youll never get any affection boosts (and also never be able to have your pokemon follow you)

The results are in.

First, let's understand the method. I pulled in a Togepi at 155 Happiness. The threshold for evolution is 160, so this was guaranteed to be under the cap.

As for how I got it above 180, I used Swift Feathers. According to Bulbapedia...
1637472331089.png

Source (With the other things that would break the cap in SwSh if you wanna check those): https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Friendship#Generation_VIII

Vitamins and Feathers do not break the cap in SwSh, otherwise, we'd certainly have heard an uproar about it now that Vitamins are the fastest way to EV train.

The choice of Togepi was also deliberate since Togetic is a happiness evo and I know for a fact you can have Togekiss without Affection boosts in SwSh since I have one.

I promptly chucked 30 Swift Feathers to it and ran to the first trainer I found, which by coincidence, were the Twins in front of Floaroma.

Togepi clearly shifted side to side while Shinx didn't move an inch. That's a clear sign of Affection kicking in.

After that, there was a message during the battle saying "Togepi looks like it wants to be petted..." And that was the kiss of death. Didn't even have time to evolve it. It was clearly between 180-219 Happiness and had affection boosts on it.

Therefore...

The Happiness caps present in SwSh to avoid Affection boosts are NOT present in BDSP.

As soon as any Pokémon hits 180 Happiness, regardless of method, it will have Amie boosts.

Following Pokémon are not a trigger, but will likely increase Happiness even faster.

So when/how do I get into that Veilstone Galactic building? Looking it up only confuses me, and I'm pretty sure Fly is in there

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I can’t believe they made Kricketune an actual functioning regional bug for part of an in game playthrough.
You lack of faith in the DELELELELEL WOOOOOOOOOOP is disturbing.

One more question: Anybody know if you can change the Poketch's time from military time to normal?
No. There's an Analog Clock you can get later but there's no "digital 12 hour" clock or anything.
Speaking of the Poketch, seems like there are some missing apps from the Poketch:
  • Berry Searcher (is Berry planting in the game?)
  • Link Searcher (makes sense as I don't think the Switch has a function to check if there's other Switch nearby)
  • Move Tester (I guess with the game now noting when a Move is super effective, neutral, or resisted/immune they saw no point in having it)
  • And of course the three Event exclusive ones: Matchup Checker, Stopwatch, & Alarm Clock.
:pikuh: Where is the WTF reaction button?
I just use Wow Bellsprout, it gets the point across.

I wouldn't say no if it was the alternate to OP Affection BS though...
Well letting your Pokemon faint over and over again is sort of doing that (or feeding them bitter medicine they don't like).

Reading through everyone figuring out how the Affection status works is like reading reports of a health institute team tracking a spread of a virus, lol.
  • "UPDATE: Subjects G & S have started showing signs of AFCT-10-N."
  • "Were the subjects exposed to suspected Zone 0 "Amity Square"?"
  • "Negative. Subjects seem to have contracted it through normal activities."
  • "I've just done a lab test. I exposed Subject T to items that can lead to high risk of AFCT-10-N. SW-SH preventative system should have kept it from contracting AFCT-10-N. However Subject T started showing symptoms soon after I was done"
  • "So does that mean SW-SH preventative system is no longer stopping AFCT-10-N?"
  • "Dear Arceus, now there is nothing stopping AFCT-10-N..."
  • "We can only pray a Unity Mod vaccine can be made and outpace the evolving patches"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)