Pokemon BDSP Playthrough Discussion

Can someone let me know when I'm supposed to unlock Fly? I'm running rampant all over Sinnoh trying to help the Lake Guardians and I feel like this could be done a lot easier with Fly

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, but at what point in the story? I was there earlier and nothing I did let me get into the building to find it, and there was nobody in front of the Warehouse either
Straight after beating Maylene. Beat the two Grunts then you can go in the Warehouse and grab it.

So, I hatched Manaphy from an egg ASAP, ground it up at the start of my party until roughly level 18, and then went to the Underground for the first time and explored the entire area. I have not used any items on it(maybe 1 potion?) and I think it fainted once. I just saw it bounce. This is still pre-Gardenia, so whatever the deal with affection is, it can kick in pretty early. Notably, I haven't seen any other mons with affection bonuses, though I've had them longer. I think the theory that your lead gets more Affection may be accurate, since my lead cycled quite a bit before I got the lvl 1, slow XP group legendary.

Ok forget Wake's gym, Candice's gym is now my least favorite. Seriously enough with these dumb puzzles.

Anyways her gym was also quite easy, but she did manage to take out two of my mons (Houndoom was caught off guard by a surprise Earthquake, and Rampardos died after I tried to be cocky with a Giga Impact...didn't work)

On the bright side I got some Avalanche tms, which should work good with Rampardos considering how slow he is

In the Grand Underground, I managed to catch an Elekid with Dynamic Punch, which is an egg move, and I got a Swinub with Ice Shard
Ice Shard is just in Swinub's levelup movepool and every Swinub you catch as of the earliest point you can get it has it by default. And yeah, Pokemon can spawn with egg moves in the Underground. It's actually pretty common, to which my box full of Swinubs with garbage egg moves can attest.
I got started on the postgame today, clearing out the Battle Area and the Underground beneath, catching a bunch of legendaries (Giratina, Cresselia, Heatran, and Registeel, plus Rotom if we're counting that), and rematching the Gym Leaders and the League. Some of the Gym Leaders were kind of easy still - I pity the poor fool who was tasked with making Rampardos look good - but most of them were honestly fairly tough and required some stratting out on my part even with my team being slightly overlevelled by the time I decided to do those fights. Hell, Wake straight-up would have kicked my ass if I didn't cheap out and use a Max Revive (hey, the game only gives you, like, five, so might as well go ahead and use 'em). I outlevelled the entire Elite Four and Cynthia's team on my second go, but lucky for me, that was just the warm-up act; the real match begins when I go back in a second time. I am ready for that level 88 Garchomp to test me something FIERCE.
Also, it amused me to find out that the only Pokemon I was missing for the Nat'l Dex other than Riolu was friggin' UNOWN. I guess no one in the entire Sinnoh region is dumb enough to carry that thing.

Last edited:
Dialga is now mine.

Also I can't get enough of tiny, angry Cyrus. He's so cute and mad. That was a pretty nice climax honestly. Even with the cute Chibi models, it still felt very intense and dramatic, especially the background when you fight Dialga.

I'm honestly very tempted to try and use Dialga in the E4. Even though I don't like using legendaries because of "lore reasons" I'll admit it sounds like a lot of fun to tear shit apart with him. And maybe a little fun is what I need. I'll sleep on it, I think it's time to call it quits for tonight, it's 3 am(?!!?)

I'm loving this game. There are some gripes I have (the affection stuff can be annoying at times) but overall I'm satisfied

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ice Shard is just in Swinub's levelup movepool and every Swinub you catch as of the earliest point you can get it has it by default. And yeah, Pokemon can spawn with egg moves in the Underground. It's actually pretty common, to which my box full of Swinubs with garbage egg moves can attest.
I got started on the postgame today, clearing out the Battle Area and the Underground beneath, catching a bunch of legendaries (Giratina, Cresselia, Heatran, and Registeel, plus Rotom if we're counting that), and rematching the Gym Leaders and the League. Some of the Gym Leaders were kind of easy still - I pity the poor fool who was tasked with making Rampardos look good - but most of them were honestly fairly tough and required some stratting out on my part even with my team being slightly overlevelled by the time I decided to do those fights. Hell, Wake straight-up would have kicked my ass if I didn't cheap out and use a Max Revive (hey, the game only gives you, like, five, so might as well go ahead and use 'em). I outlevelled the entire Elite Four and Cynthia's team on my second go, but lucky for me, that was just the warm-up act; the real match begins when I go back in a second time. I am ready for that level 88 Garchomp to test me something FIERCE.
Also, it amused me to find out that the only Pokemon I was missing for the Nat'l Dex other than Riolu was friggin' UNOWN. I guess no one in the entire Sinnoh region is dumb enough to carry that thing.
There is a trainer with Riolu in Oreburgh Gate, requires Rock Smash and Surf.

I just finished my playthrough of Brilliant Diamond this morning.

Final Team: Infernape, Luxray, Manaphy, Jirachi, Mew, Lucario

I was planning on using my original team, but I just couldn't resist using the Mythicals...
And those three pretty much laid waste to Sinnoh.

I thought the Elite Four and Cynthia would finally put a stop to their reign, but nope!
It was glorious. The final battle made me laugh so hard that I had to put it into (crappy) comic form.

LowEffortComic.png

There is a trainer with Riolu in Oreburgh Gate, requires Rock Smash and Surf.
I'll be honest, I completely forgot that area even existed, especially since none of my friends who I've been playing along with went back there either. Either way, I just hatched the Riolu egg Riley gives you and called it a day.

Level check in! Ponyta finally evolved, my team is complete as i go down the route to Byron
i sure am level 40-42 and i am still running into pokemon at levels 26-32

Which, to be fair, was alreayd kind of low in the original game but that's mostly the fault of the "we had the idea of 2 routes through the mid game, and flattened the level curve because of that".

10-14 levels though, huh?

Is it possible to transform Rotom into it's appliances in this game? I know the stuff for it was added in Pt but I figured it was worth asking

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Is it possible to transform Rotom into it's appliances in this game? I know the stuff for it was added in Pt but I figured it was worth asking
You can! Once you get Rotom you get the key to enter the Platinum room and do it that way. I also think the appliance room has now been updated to include the Rotom Catalog from SWSH

Does anyone know how to trigger the postgame Barry and Dawn/Lucas fights? I've done pretty much everything else there is to do in this game bar rematch the Champion a third time, but Barry doesn't show up in the Battle Zone and Dawn doesn't seem to want to fight me at all.

Does anyone know how to trigger the postgame Barry and Dawn/Lucas fights? I've done pretty much everything else there is to do in this game bar rematch the Champion a third time, but Barry doesn't show up in the Battle Zone and Dawn doesn't seem to want to fight me at all.
Barry was a weekend fight in the originals, I believe. I imagine that's the same here.

Might be the same for Dawn/Lucas?

Welp, that's Cynthia and the Elite Four down yet again. As expected, she was no joke, with her Garchomp outlevelling nearly my entire team. I led with Infernape, and thankfully I was able to U-Turn onto Electivire when she switched into Milotic, letting me get the big roadblock out of the way early on. It still wasn't easy, though, and it made me wish that every battle made me think as much as Cynthia did. The one that gave me the most trouble, oddly enough, was Flint; my team doesn't really have a good answer for Fire-types, so I ended up having to play hopscotch with my mons a lot and blew through two Max Revives just to come out on top. (Although realistically, I probably could have done it in less.) I didn't expect Cynthia to give me a sticker, of all things, for beating her a third time, but hey, that's fun, I guess.

I also snagged all the legendaries in Ramanas Park earlier, which gave me surprisingly little trouble for the most part. Regirock, Raikou, Suicune, Mewtwo, and Kyogre all got caught in one ball, and Groudon and Rayquaza kindly put themselves to sleep for me so I could catch them. Registeel and Entei were kind of annoying, mainly because the former kept Struggling himself to death and I kept accidentally killing the latter, but other than that, I didn't run into any major issues. I can confidently say gathering the shards I needed to summon the legendaries was way more painful of a process than actually catching them; seriously, if you plan on getting all these guys, be prepared to mine for shards for legit HOURS. (I will say, though, that the special rooms they made for each of the legends are pretty baller, and that Giratina fight alone was worth every second of the grind.)

But yeah, that's the ball game. My teammates and their final levels were Infernape at level 85, Mamoswine at level 86, Electivire at level 86, Bronzong at level 87, Spiritomb at level 87, and Rampardos at level... 96. Yeah, Rampardos must be in a really good experience group or something, because that guy quickly became my most overlevelled party member and stayed that way going into the postgame. (And he was still probably the least useful, all things considered... sorry, Roark.) Overall, I really liked this team; it was kind of unbalanced and had some glaring weaknesses, but it allowed me to use some mons I never have before (this was actually my first time using a trade evo, since I knew I'd have friends picking up the game at launch for me to trade with) and I'm glad I opted to do something new for once with the options available in this game. If there was any party member who surprised me with just how good they were, it was Spiritomb; there weren't a lot of Fairies or Fairy-type moves to worry about for obvious reasons, so I could pretty much always count on Spiritomb to tank a hit on the switch and either cripple an attacker with Will-O-Wisp or pick 'em off outright with any of Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, or Shadow Sneak in a pinch. Easily my star player and a mon I'm super glad I decided to use this time. (I've also decided that if I ever do replay Platinum, I'm going to exclusively use mons that aren't available in BDSP [starter notwithstanding], both to dunk on this game's mon selection a bit and to make my next run through Sinnoh just a tad different.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)