Resource SS OU DLC2 Viability Ranking Thread [SEE: Page 105, Post 2618]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have done a nom on this to keep it in it's current tier, but I have come around on it.
I want to make a case as to why :mew: B+ -> A-

The main reason I think :Landorus-Therian: stands as the best mon in the tier, above the mons in S- is one word:
flexibility.
Lando's standard spD set has variation on whether it runs sr or defog, and several sets outside of even that, such as sub sd. Flexibility might as well be the actual name of mew as it is unrivalled here.
Between fast wallbreaking sets and full on defensive utility I think mew has what it needs to become an A- threat, even with weavile's massive presence in the tier right now.
https://pokepast.es/9c9cf2226926a47b
There are probably more potential sets for mew other than this, but I think that these alone prove my point here. Mew is flexible enough to be able to work its way out of any given situation it finds itself in, and that is why I nominate it to A-.

I may have done a nom on this to keep it in it's current tier, but I have come around on it.

The main reason I think :Landorus-Therian: stands as the best mon in the tier, above the mons in S- is one word:
flexibility.
Lando's standard spD set has variation on whether it runs sr or defog, and several sets outside of even that, such as sub sd. Flexibility might as well be the actual name of mew as it is unrivalled here.
Between fast wallbreaking sets and full on defensive utility I think mew has what it needs to become an A- threat, even with weavile's massive presence in the tier right now.
There are probably more potential sets for mew other than this, but I think that these alone prove my point here. Mew is flexible enough to be able to work its way out of any given situation it finds itself in, and that is why I nominate it to A-.
I still don't think that's much of a compelling reason to keep it markedly above Weavile and Tran. First of all, though it has many viable sets, the most common Landos only really decide if they want Toxic or Knock off and then SR or Defog. Yeah, that's flexibility, but the other mons have that too. There's also the mon's performance, which while fantastic (I obviously think it's on the same level as the other two top dogs) overall, is fairly exploitable nowadays and its proclivity to getting worn down more than most other pivots is a valid concern when it comes to using it. I still think Lando is amazing, but it's not like every single set is S-/S rank worthy (as much as I love playing SD Lando with stone edge and think it's one of the most fun mons in the tier). Specs pult falling off a bit with Pult trying different kinds of things also makes spdef Lando a little less valuable

Gonna do a C- rank overview as I said I might, though this rank actually doesn't look too bad.
:amoonguss:to C+
Fringe answer to Kartana, Rain, and Gterrain mons and obviously suffers from competition in Tangrowth and the dominance of Ferrothorn. I think what sets Amoonguss apart though is Foul Play. Foul Play allows it to act as a strong, more consistent check to Kartana then Tangrowth (Focus Miss) and also allows it to be one of the best Dragapult scouts in the game, with regenerator, good hp+passable mixed defenses, coupled with the ability to punish dragon dance sets. Amoonguss is also a really good Tapu Koko check, comes with the upside of 100% acc sleep provided there is no Ferrothorn on the opposing team, and has valuable fighting, bug, and fairy resistances. The negative to using this mon over Tangrowth is pretty clearly the loss of an eq resistance, less physical defense, and no knock off, but it can be worth running because of Spore, Foul Play, and better Spdef capabilities, enough so that I think it should share Tangrowth’s rank. Clear Smog is also an option to more decisively beat CM Fini and Clef (you can sleep this though), but I prefer a set of Spore, Giga Drain, Foul Play, and Sludge Bomb for its poison chance.
:Charizard: Stay in C-
Absolutely ridiculous nuking capabilities under the sun vs teams lacking Heatran or Ttar, and can still ko them with a simple prediction. Obviously the quad rocks weakness, frailty, self damaging ability, and complete reliance on sun holds it back. The building blocks for any Sun team are in C as Venusaur and Torkoal. Charizard isn't quite the staple they are, so C- seems like a good fit, if only because its replaceable with another fire nuke like Victini and the lack of consistency of the playstyle in general.
:Darmanitan: Stay in C-
I'm actually not a big fan of choiced Darmanitan because I feel its outclassed by Charizard, with both killing themselves with recoil and reliant on prediction vs Heatran, only Charizard scores more consistent 2hkos on bulky resists with fire moves (Toxapex, Tapu Fini, etc) and has a better defensive typing, even if it is 4x weak to rocks (you should have extensive hazard control on Sun regardless). Uturn is nice, but I'd rather just blow fire resists up with Weather Ball than pivot around them. Where I think Darm truly shines is with a Life Orb set, taking full advantage of its ability and coverage vs Toxapex and Heatran, without being restricted by choice lock and still maintaining ridiculous damage output vs non-bulky resists. I still think Darm is a slightly worse option than Charizard, but its still viable regardless imo.
Perfect calc incoming:
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian in Sun: 382-450 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
chef's kiss
:ditto: Stay in C-
Ditto will always be viable as reverse ho cheese for stall. Not much to say here since its viability is completely tied to setup sweepers. If someone more educated on stall wants to comment please do.
:hatterene:Stay in C- / to C
This is my proposed tr rank and while some cm sets are passable (different from clef since it can’t be taunted) I don’t think they are strong enough to justify being ranked much higher.
:haxorus: :necrozma: :polteageist: :porygon2: :quagsire:
Stay in C-
I don’t have much to say on these mons so decided to group them together. Haxorus and Polteageist have proven themselves as niche options on ho. Haxorus being a menace vs stall and polteageist destroying a lot of offense teams once weavile is chipped sufficiently. Necrozma is a viable alternative breaker to Tapu Lele with its meteor beam set. Coming with the benefit of no choice lock and better coverage options, but lower speed and no secondary stab. Porygon2 is a tr staple. Ima be real I haven’t seen quag on any stalls I’ve faced but I feel I’m not educated on the playstyle enough to nom it to ur.
:ribombee: Stay in C-
Webs are bad but passable enough to justify a vr ranking. Anyway realistically if you’re using them Ribombee is the best setter. Stun Spore, phenomenal speed, and uturn+moonblast give it decent utility.
:shuckle: to UR
Shuckle is really bad. It’s only appeal is having webs+rocks, but it’s not like it’s ever able to get both up anyway. Slow and no use outside of setting a mediocre hazard and rocks. I’d rather use Galvantula, Slurpuff, Vikavolt, Araquanid, literally anything with webs and passable offensive pressure, etc.
:togekiss: to UR
Serene Grace cheese that’s not used on any serious teams as far as I know. It’s simply too slow to work and completely reliant on paralysis support.
:xatu: Stay in C-
Best magic bounce user to keep hazards off vs lando, chomp, and even heatran with spdef investment provided it’s not offensive. Fits well on some goggles shed stall, but it really shines on sun teams that use Charizard too.

flexibility.
I feel like for something to enter A- its qualities need to give it an advantage of some kind, apart from just being flexible. Silly putty is flexable, but it isn't as applicable as other malleable materials are and it lacks a lot of strength. I view Mew in a similar light, where its viability is select (kin to the other members of B+) due to its mediocre defensive and offensive applicability by comparison to other things that are better in their respective roles. Mew is a soft and shapeless mold that, while flexible, is generally difficult to justify. I don't think flexibility alone should be the reason for a rise to A-, and it is fine where it is.

Of course this is just my opinion and I'm open to criticism, so feel free to expound if needed.

Last edited:
I'm actually not a big fan of choiced Darmanitan because I feel its outclassed by Charizard, with both killing themselves with recoil and reliant on prediction vs Heatran, only Charizard scores more consistent 2hkos on bulky resists with fire moves (Toxapex, Tapu Fini, etc) and has a better defensive typing, even if it is 4x weak to rocks (you should have extensive hazard control on Sun regardless). Uturn is nice, but I'd rather just blow fire resists up with Weather Ball than pivot around them. Where I think Darm truly shines is with a Life Orb set, taking full advantage of its ability and coverage vs Toxapex and Heatran, without being restricted by choice lock and still maintaining ridiculous damage output vs non-bulky resists. I still think Darm is a slightly worse option than Charizard, but its still viable regardless imo.
Perfect calc incoming:
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian in Sun: 382-450 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
chef's kiss
This is really insighftul. And it seems really intuitive since Darm doesn't take additional LO recoil thanks to Sheer Force. Any particular reason to run jolly on darm by the way outside of going 50/50 with timid lele?

Serene Grace cheese that’s not used on any serious teams as far as I know. It’s simply too slow to work and completely reliant on paralysis support.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...eak-1-2074-elo-85-3-gxe.3699903/#post-9188409
I'm not sure, Togekiss is fringe but it does its one niche very well, to at times annoying levels. It's always a threat in practice due to the hax so it's consistent enough imo to stay in C-, and its typing makes it a pretty solid Dragon check

Shuckle is really bad. It’s only appeal is having webs+rocks, but it’s not like it’s ever able to get both up anyway. Slow and no use outside of setting a mediocre hazard and rocks. I’d rather use Galvantula, Slurpuff, Vikavolt, Araquanid, literally anything with webs and passable offensive pressure, etc.
Shuckle should be able to get up both tho , no? It runs mental herb if I'm not mistaken and its bulk and typing make it difficult to OHKO, and it lets you compress SR and webs in one slot, and has options like encore and Final Gambit.

Last edited:
This is really insighftul. And it seems really intuitive since Darm doesn't take additional LO recoil thanks to Sheer Force. Any particular reason to run jolly on darm by the way outside of going 50/50 with timid lele?

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...eak-1-2074-elo-85-3-gxe.3699903/#post-9188409
I'm not sure, Togekiss is fringe but it does its one niche very well, to at times annoying levels. It's always a threat in practice due to the hax so it's consistent enough imo to stay in C-, and its typing makes it a pretty solid Dragon check

Shuckle should be able to get up both tho , no? It runs mental herb if I'm not mistaken and its bulk and typing make it difficult to OHKO, and it lets you compress SR and webs in one slot, and has options like encore and Final Gambit.
1. Thanks, I run jolly on darm mainly for the speed tie with Lele, but it also lets you outspeed Nidoking, which can obviously threaten it with a ohko, and Excadrill aswell, which can help versus sand matchups. This also outspeeds some Volcarona variants that can threaten sun greatly. That being said its completely reasonable to go adamant if there are calcs you're trying to hit.
2. Actually agree with your reasoning here as I was somewhat reductive in my explanation for Togekiss. I kind of forgot to acknowledge Togekiss' value versus bulky teams which are very prominent in the meta atm, so fair point.
3. The issue isn't getting ohkoed, its getting 2hkoed. If you can avoid the ohko/use your mental herb to avoid first taunt you can get one hazard up, but because of Shuckle's poor speed you need to avoid a 2hko/second taunt to get both hazards up. It's difficult to do because leading Shuckle is very predictable, so a simple counterlead like Urshifu-RS or Taunt Heatran completely invalidates its objective to get both hazards up. It can't really switch in to get up both hazards either, because most stuff is threatening at least a 3hko, so you'll still only get one hazard up. Ribombee doesn't have this issue because its faster than most stuff that threatens it with a ohko/taunt. Ribombee can also take advantage of this by running focus sash instead of mental herb, allowing it to get webs up and potentially act as a disruptor with stun spore after it's used its sash. Final Gambit and Encore are ok utility, but Shuckle's poor speed doesn't let it use these tools as effectively as it would like, and I'd argue Stun Spore alone on Ribombee is much more valuable.

Yes, but I think Haxorus is a fair argument as while it's a sweeper, it's also a breaker as well due to SD. It does need a turn of set-up, but once it does it's harder to force it to switch out because of it's speed boost with scale shot and nigh perfect coverage available (namely poison jab and CC) and base 147 attack + Mold Breaker to beat the Unaware mons, and it's sitting in C- right now. I'd like to see you address this
Haxorus's biggest problem when compared to drago is that it really needs that turn of set up to threaten mons like corv, tangrowth, fini or celesteela and can't just be teleported/u-turned in front of defensive mons to do so because you won't be able to OHKO them without boosts and they can easily cripple you if you just set up in front of them, whereas regidrago immediately puts in OHKO pressure and doesn't really care too much about the things the ones that aren't ohkoed could do to it anyways (tran can't hit it hard enough to not lose the 1v1, same for corv or ferro, even if they are sent out full and not on the switch, although u have to watch out for twave ferro).

The problem with Regidrago is that you are investing in a pokemon that is a slow (base 100 beats some breakers but is not useful to rely on) wallbreaker that needs pivoting but completely fails against more than half of OU teams.
How does it fail against half of OU teams though ? Even when having an immunity to it, you're forced into a 50/50 everytime it comes out, with the drago player being at advantage because they have the offensive momentum. Letting in a melm or nido on the double could cost you a lot, just as much as staying in, when Drago doesn't really mind firing a dud and being forced out too much (and it could even stay and click energy again if you predict them to double back out).

Outside of theoryplay concerns like these which I have already went into great length about, I provided several replays where drago provided pressure and value against teams that did have a fairy. For example, here, (yes my opp is playing a bad team but that doesn't really matter in the point I'm trying to make), on turn 15 my opp doesn't go to their fairy on dragon energy, predicting me to double to tran to catch gardevoir, which would put them in a bad spot, so they have to try and predict it. At the same time, making the wrong predict (like they did) also costs them a lot, while for me, having garde block energy doesn't really matter, because my team is built to handle fairies well, so I'm just free to click anyways and just lose a bit of momentum in the worst case scenario.

So yes, it's worse against teams with fairies than against teams that don't but 1) it's fantastic in that scenario (which, as you said yourself, is about half the time), 2) it's by no mean "useless".

it being slow, choice locked, and needing pivots relegates it to balance and some BO's and those team styles cannot afford to have a slow breaker that usually fails. those teams instead like to have one or possibly 2 (2nd one faster) breakers they bring in with pivoting over and over again and then having a cleaner and/or speed control to finish the team off. in that model, regidrago doesn't fit because it fails against too many teams instead of being a generally reliable breaker such as Lele, Volcanion, and Weavile that work against most if not all defensive cores.
But exactly what breaker has the ability to break effectively versus entire teams alone, except something like Lele (which is A rank rn and thus shouldn't be used as a point of comparison) ? Even volcanion and weavile appreciate support, and it's rare to run only a single breaker, just to avoid losing versus fatter teams if they happen to have a perfect counter, or to have a backup in case it goes down. When put in tandem with another breaker in an offensive core like drago + melm, drago + nidoking, drago + mbeam nihilego, etc... it can do exactly those things you mention, coming in on every defensive play to create another opportunity for you.

Zeraora works because there are a good amount of tools to force damage onto ground types such as aqua tail garchomp and air balloon heatran and it carries knock, but Regidrago has fewer tools to force damage on fairies as some are purely offensive and others do not share mons that reliably force damage on them.
Hazards, magma tran, having several toxicers/statusers on the team, are all tools that are available to force damage onto fairies and that aren't purely offensive, while also being pretty splashable. Besides, in a game where the threat of drago forces your opponent to play conservatively with their fairies and thus not use them to check your other threats, even if you did not force damage on fairies, chances are you're in an advantageous position because of Drago anyways.

There's quite a few reasons why volcanion is better than regidrago, I wouldn't compare them, even by their defensive aspects. I would argue regidrago is actually weaker to rocks than volcanion is because you are making your dragon energy much weaker even after 2 rounds of rocks and no other hazards, whereas volcanion will be just as strong at 100% or at 1%. This makes it MUCH less dependent on specific support like teleport, slow u-turns, hazard removal etc. The calcs you posted with specs dragon energy are very impressive, but at 75% health you cannot even reliably 2hko corviknight ( (48.6 - 57.1%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery). Volcanion and regidrago absolutely don't suffer from the same chip issues. Volcanion is fantastic and consistent because it has some defensive utility with water/fire typing and water absorb, and doesn't require slow pivots+ (>80%) health to function.
Almost completely agree with this part, but I feel like volc still becomes much worse if rocks are up (and it's specs), as trying to switch it in hard immediately becomes way riskier and thus it makes it harder for you to keep the pressure up wit hit. Because it has a similar speed to regidrago, even though it has a better typing and good defensive ability, it also doesn't really switch in that much easier than Drago; apart from choice locked water or 4x resisted fire moves, you still hate switching into anything because that chip will accumulate, and everytime you have to switch it back out it will be come harder to bring it in again as you'll be at risk of being 2HKOed by what you're trying to switch into. So I feel like u-turn/port is definitely also really great, if not necessary, for specs volc.

Besides, even if for example corv becomes able to switch in semi-reliably when drago gets lower, it will still have to spend that next turn roosting because else it won't be able to switch in next time, which is a turn you can easily exploit to keep the pressure up with another mon; so it remains difficult to switch into, even at lower percentages, especially when you consider the fact that just specs pulse from drago is STILL about just as strong as anything that specs volc can throw out, even though it's more unfortunately typed :
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 181-214 (25.7 - 30.4%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 187-222 (26.6 - 31.5%)

Because of all this, I do feel like volcanion, while being overall more reliable (mostly because of the fairy "situation"), suffers from VERY SIMILAR issues to drago, so it's unfair to act like those are traits that prevent a breaker from being good, or even just usable, as volc demonstrate.

The last sentence is wrong but also irrelevant, every mon has its checks, and specs volcanion under rain will blow away pex/gking with steam eruption, even ignoring specs earth power.
Yeah, every mon has its checks, so what's wrong with drago having its own ? It has 5 defensive checks in the tier (6 if you count bulu), but everything else falls to it, and it's able to create opportunity by reliably forcing in those checks. Rain is also additional support required for volc to break through pex and gking. Similarly, if you add another layer of support to regidrago in the form of doom desire jirachi or even just an fsight slowtwin, it also becomes much much harder to switch into, even for fairies. (Specs EP will hit quite hard but no ohko, and considering they have regen and probably a ground immune like every team, in practice it's not that easy to break pex and gking with.)

Regarding whether or not this mon should be ranked, let's compare it to breakers in C-. I think some apt comparisons would be specs solar power zard or band darmanitan. Both require sun, hazard control, and some pivots to bring in, but neither needs to be kept very healthy. I think specs regidrago and specs zard/band darm require similar levels of support. And what are the results of providing so much support? Both of these mons are actually unwallable, not deadweight half the time. There literally isn't a mon under the sun (heh) that can take these two. Regidrago gives significantly worse returns than charizard and darmanitan provided similar support, and I would thus keep it unranked.
I feel like you're pulling at strings here. Specs zard and band darm require to be put on a whole sun team + have one or two VERY reliable hazard remover, so they pretty much lock you into having either mandi or corv as they are the most reliable defoggers which suffer from their own issues when using them on offensive sun teams, so that's really a lot of support, more than drago despite what you may seem to think.

Because they absolutely cannot be used when rocks are up, as they take great damage from them while also chipping themselves very hard with solar power or fblitz, it can be very hard to find an opportunity to actually bring them in, as you need to have both sun up and hazards down for them to be able to do their job, and the only viable sun setter is a passive, slow mons which gets rocked on by everything despite having rapid spin.

They also have a meh speedtier and absolutely NONEXISTANT defensive utility, on top of being very predictable and suddenly becoming much harder to use once tran enters the equation.

Moreover, playing sun puts you at risk of losing to every other weather super easily because it's extremely hard to keep bringing in torkoal vs sand or rain, and even hail can take advantage of torkoal's abysmal speed to just put on pressure with arctozolt, even when hail is down, similarly to how playing drago comes with the price of having a harder time against teams with fairies (but sun vs other weather is even worse than that).

With all that in mind, I feel like your last sentence is kinda preposterous, unless you happen to be the best sun player in the world and can make every prediction right while also being able to keep rocks off and sun up at all times while still not letting pressure go so you don't risk switching darm or charizard on any move that might bop them (which is almost every move in the game). Regidrago definitely needs considerably less support, and puts out better results on average. To me they shouldn't even be ranked, eruption tran and band victini are infinitely better sun breakers.

Yeah specs regidrago's dpulse and draco are certainly pretty strong but I think the main reason of using it at all is its incredibly strong dragon energy. If we were to ignore dragon energy, I would rather run specs latios. It has a very solid speed tier that can rk kart, more coverage than it can even fit in 4 slots+utility options like trick, and actual defensive utility and doesn't require as much pivots/hazard removal. So for the rest of this post, I'm assuming dragon energy is what you're building around, and the other moves are just accessory.
Pulse is still stronger than any of specs latios' moves, but the rest of the points are extremely valid and latios is probably a better breaker than drago in most cases (hence why, once again, i'm only nomming it to C/C-).

Skipping ahead a bit because anything between that and the next thing I mostly agree with.

It can switch into clefable's moonblast, ferrothorn's leech seed/body press/power whip/etc, lando's toxic or eq, buzzwole's cc/ice punch/toxic, corviknight's body press/brave bird, kartana scarf locked into leaf blade/sacred sword, etc etc. Regidrago can't do any of this, it's fully reliant on pivots to get in cleanly.
In theory yes, but in practice zard is chipped by its own solar power and thus even small hits are something it hates. Besides buzz's cc or ice punch actually deal quite a lot of damage ( 0 Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 89-105 (29.9 - 35.3%)), even corv's brave bird probably does like 25-30%, and it hates being toxiced as that just adds even more the the chip of solar power, especially since it needs to be able to stay in for several turns to break some mons (like pex). Drago might not be able to switch into all these moves, but it doesn't mind toxic or burn too much either because it usually only stays in for 1 turn anyways, and being chipped is not as dramatic as you make it out to be as pulse remains threatening to a lot of mons. Yes going below 60% means you are no longer able to break a handful of mons as effectively, but once you broke them, you can play more freely with your regidrago. Similarly to the examples you gave, it switches into bro or pex's scald or on fsight, on seismic tosses due to it having humongous hp, on volcanion's fire blast or steam eruption should the need arise. Zard is also very easily ohkoed by mons like zerora, koko, and generally faster threats even from full, which a healthy drago can stay in on and trade with should the need be.

Zard can revenge kill non scarf lele/urshifu/defensive zapdos, rillaboom etc and ohko them as well, as it should be timid. Regidrago is slower and can't really revenge kill much.
Regidrago can revenge kill volcanion and defensive zapdos as well (which it both outspeeds, because noone is running max hp max speed zap), shifu locked into a water move, or any +1 ultra beast that's not specs/band due to being way bulkier than zard and being able to take 1 hit. This kinda feels like a moot comparison, they just have different things they can rk/trade with...

Overall it's easier to get in, which is very important for a wallbreaker. And remember this is the frail fire/flying mon which loses 1/8 hp every turn, so this is a low standard.
Doesn't seem that way to me, especially with the points I explained above.

So yes, running a dedicated sun team is a lot of support. But zard is less reliant on pivots which regidrago absolutely needs to be worthwhile over smth like specs latios. It's my subjective opinion, but yeah, I think marrying your regidrago to slowbro really isn't much better than needing to run torkoal.
Are you comparing one of the tier's premiers defensive pivot, with decent pressure options in fsight, ice beam for chomp and landot, scald to burn anything, reliable recovery + the amazing regenerator to the chippable, walking liability waiting to be set-up on, FIRE-TYPED DEFENSIVE POKEMON that torkoal is rn ? Bro is amazing, and it's undiscutably better to run bro on every team than torkoal.

That last part you mention is "partners like melmetal, heatran, and nidoking" just reads to me like "My wallbreaker needs other wallbreakers to break walls before I can start wallbreaking."
Again, most teams like to run two breakers anyways, so I don't see how that's much of a problem, and defensive tran is great with drago all the same.

So yeah, I really feel like that comparison was kinda wonky and Drago is definitely better, easier to use/bring in and requires less support than specs zard overall.

Outside of theoryplay concerns like these which I have already went into great length about, I provided several replays where drago provided pressure and value against teams that did have a fairy. For example, here, (yes my opp is playing a bad team but that doesn't really matter in the point I'm trying to make), on turn 15 my opp doesn't go to their fairy on dragon energy, predicting me to double to tran to catch gardevoir, which would put them in a bad spot, so they have to try and predict it. At the same time, making the wrong predict (like they did) also costs them a lot, while for me, having garde block energy doesn't really matter, because my team is built to handle fairies well, so I'm just free to click anyways and just lose a bit of momentum in the worst case scenario
But I feel like his poor team structure actually matters though in what the risk/reward bias of the '50/50' should actually be. His team is weak to heatran to begin with and he failed to put in the proper effort in chipping it from the get go ( overpredicting on the heatran with toxic at the start instead of just earth powering to chip one of the biggest threats to his team). And then rudely complaining when your dragon energy is relatively free since bringing in gardevoir just brings in tran lol. For him he cant let in heatran for free so he is subconsciously doing what he can to prevent that. But the reality is He also didn't put any effort into getting up rocks which would chip away both heatran and regidrago, and tran can't switchin forever , psyshock from garde was doing like 25%.

but Sure , that nitpick aside , regidrago does an amazing ability at luring in the fairies but all the other dragon's aren't limited to just luring in fairies they can even overcome them with coverage, including Haxorus.

The momentum sink you get from regidrago actually matters outside of ideal conditions. This is why SR is still like the best move in the game haha

Fair point about Haxorus.

theory yes, but in practice zard is chipped by its own solar power and thus even small hits are something it hates. Besides buzz's cc or ice punch actually deal quite a lot of damage ( 0 Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 89-105 (29.9 - 35.3%)), even corv's brave bird probably does like 25-30%, and it hates being toxiced as that just adds even more the the chip of solar power, especially since it needs to be able to stay in for several turns to break some mons (like pex). Drago might not be able to switch into all these moves, but it doesn't mind toxic or burn too much either because it usually only stays in for 1 turn anyways, and being chipped is not as dramatic as you make it out to be as pulse remains threatening to a lot of mons. Yes going below 60% means you are no longer able to break a handful of mons as effectively, but once you broke them, you can play more freely with your regidrago. Similarly to the examples you gave, it switches into bro or pex's scald or on fsight, on seismic tosses due to it having humongous hp, on volcanion's fire blast or steam eruption should the need arise. Zard is also very easily ohkoed by mons like zerora, koko, and generally faster threats even from full, which a healthy drago can stay in on and trade with should the need be.
But I haven't seen a scenario where regidrago was taking these hits and still remaining a competent breaker unless the game was already over in the replays you have linked. This seems like a big problem for regidrago if the enemy team has a fairy because then they just go their fairy every time while you take toxic damage from staying in to attack in tandem with potentially hazard damage

How does it fail against half of OU teams though ?
Most OU teams are able to apply the kind of pressure that prevents Drago from being as threatening as it would be in theory. It's a difficult Mon to position because maintaining its HP is a delicate dance. Hazards, chip and more.

when Drago doesn't really mind firing a dud and being forced out too much (and it could even stay and click energy again if you predict them to double back out).
This uh... Is a bad thing. This kills momentum. Drago is slow enough that its opportunities are much more seldom. And having to rely on prediction is a recipe for inconsistency.

But exactly what breaker has the ability to break effectively versus entire teams alone,
It can't break by itself. It needs a monumental amount of support. A lot of your arguments depend on scenarios where you predict right every time. Which is simply not realistic.

Because of all this, I do feel like volcanion, while being overall more reliable (mostly because of the fairy "situation"), suffers from VERY SIMILAR issues to drago, so it's unfair to act like those are traits that prevent a breaker from being good, or even just usable, as volc demonstrate.
Volcanion doesn't have nearly the same issues as Drago. Despite being rock weak, it pushes a threat of near unresisted coverage as well as a stab with crippling secondary effects. Plus unlike Drago, Volcanion has tremendous defensive utility and can actually switch into many threatening attacks. Eruption from Heatran, any scald in the tier, all of Fini's attacks, Melmetal's DIB, and can even soft check Volcarona in a pinch and force it out or KO it outright. It's also not dependant on specs and can run HDB sets with solid effectiveness as well as trapping sets that beat Fini, Pex and even Galar Slowking. It provides a lot to a team beyond just power outright.

Volcanion excels despite its rock weakness because it has many excellent traits. it likes support but also provides support itself. Drago is just raw power and needs an extraordinary amount of support. And offers no defensive utility.

Yeah, every mon has its checks, so what's wrong with drago having its own ? It has 5 defensive checks in the tier (6 if you count bulu), but everything else falls to it, and it's able to create opportunity by reliably forcing in those checks.
Drago needs to actually get in, which needs huge support and good prediction. If hazards are up early, rip dragon energy unless you clear hazards. Perhaps the biggest problem you aren't talking about, is Dragon Energy's meager 8PP. The more you predict wrong and get blanked by a fairy, the fewer chances you get.

Also Volc can beat Pex and Glowking without rain. And specs Latios has a stronger meteor vs Drago's dragon pulse.

Specs zard and band darm require to be put on a whole sun team
The difference is the payoff. Specs solar power Zard is actually borderline unwallable outside of Heatran and Darmanitan provides useful speed control in emergencies with scarf sets.

and the only viable sun setter is a passive, slow mons which gets rocked on by everything despite having rapid spin.
And then it lava plumed. Oops your rocker is burned. And it has toxic and body press as options. In practice Torkoal being able to compress spin and sun, as well as stealth rock is a lot and a huge reason sun is viable at a base level. Now the way the metagame is makes sun pretty inconsistent as well, but sun at least is easier to justify because of the pay off. The sun members complement each other so yes it's support heavy but they feed off each other's strengths well and it works.

Moreover, playing sun puts you at risk of losing to every other weather
This one's odd. Weather v weather is not a very common match up so the likely hood of that supposed struggle is also uncommon. While Drago's fairy dilemma is much more present and its issue of chip and hazard damage makes it even more awkward.

Regidrago can revenge kill volcanion and defensive zapdos as well (which it both outspeeds, because noone is running max hp max speed zap), shifu locked into a water move, or any +1 ultra beast that's not specs/band due to being way bulkier than zard and being able to take 1 hit. This kinda feels like a moot comparison, they just have different things they can rk/trade with...
If your mon requires extremely specific scenarios to RK anything, it's not good at doing that. and if they switch, now you have lost momentum again. As for the UBs... Drago cannot RK SD Kartana, Meteor Beam/Autonamize Celesteela or Meteor Beam Nihilego.

They weren't saying run Torkoal over Slowbro on teams. They said that the kind and level of support needed for both Drago and Zard was similar in a sense. Which it is. Also Fire is a good defensive typing and calling Torkoal a liability makes me wonder if there's a bias against it.

Drago is a case of a Mon you COULD use but realistically has no niche in the meta that isn't done better by even already niche mons.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Almost completely agree with this part, but I feel like volc still becomes much worse if rocks are up (and it's specs), as trying to switch it in hard immediately becomes way riskier and thus it makes it harder for you to keep the pressure up wit hit. Because it has a similar speed to regidrago, even though it has a better typing and good defensive ability, it also doesn't really switch in that much easier than Drago; apart from choice locked water or 4x resisted fire moves, you still hate switching into anything because that chip will accumulate, and everytime you have to switch it back out it will be come harder to bring it in again as you'll be at risk of being 2HKOed by what you're trying to switch into. So I feel like u-turn/port is definitely also really great, if not necessary, for specs volc.
Unless you're fighting stall, it's ok for your wallbreaker to get chipped. Not regidrago of course, nor specs eruption heatran, but besides those two it's ok. Wallbreakers are supposed to come in, do damage, and eventually die so that ur set up mon or cleaner can take care of the rest. Simply put, volcanion really doesn't mind getting chipped. It's ok to let it eat melmetal's earthquake or heatran's earth power or buzzwole's close combat because as long as it's still alive, the opponent has to eat 1 more specs steam eruption. Unless ur wallbreaker has some key defensive utility, such as volcanion's water absorb vs rain, it's more important to get kills than it is to stay alive.

I disagree that pivots are necessary for specs volc bc volcanion can afford to switch into weak hits and get chipped, but regidrago cannot.

Besides, even if for example corv becomes able to switch in semi-reliably when drago gets lower, it will still have to spend that next turn roosting because else it won't be able to switch in next time, which is a turn you can easily exploit to keep the pressure up with another mon; so it remains difficult to switch into, even at lower percentages, especially when you consider the fact that just specs pulse from drago is STILL about just as strong as anything that specs volc can throw out, even though it's more unfortunately typed :
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 181-214 (25.7 - 30.4%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 187-222 (26.6 - 31.5%)

This whole logic of "oh I forced corv to roost and now I can take advantage of it" is confusing me. Is it supposed to be a good thing that your wallbreaker cannot break walls? For example, if I have a team with nidoking as my main wallbreaker, and all it's doing is forcing slowking to stay healthy, then it's not doing its job of breaking walls! Obviously no wallbreaker is perfect, you're gonna run into some rough matchups sometimes, and you shouldn't rely on any one pokemon to be defeating a fat team for you. But let's not pretend like "keep the pressure up with another mon" is a good thing. It is a BAD thing that my wallbreaker is having trouble breaking walls and needs help. Good wallbreakers are fairly independent, and only really demand free switch-ins+protection from revenge killers. Bad wallbreakers ask for much more.

The raw power is not impressive, due to the fairy "situation."

Volcanion does not suffer very similar issues that regidrago does.
Assuming you're running specs volcanion on a rain team, you are not having a dead matchup unless you fight a mantine or storm drain gastrodon (some gastro are sticky hold on stall to soak knock offs). Specs volcanion can muscle past blissey, dnite, pex etc with coverage, burns, and rain.
So specs rain volcanion has a dead matchup in maybe 1 in 100 games.
Specs Regidrago is hardwalled by any fairy and pretty much cannot get past them on its own. It has a dead matchup 1 in 2 games.

Volcanion also has real defensive utility and can afford to switch into some hits. It only needs to have enough hp to click steam eruption. It basically beats opposing rain teams by itself.
Regidrago needs to stay above 80% health to be worth using, and cannot afford to switch into anything. It is fully reliant on slow pivots to get in consistently.

It's obviously not fair to compare an unranked mon to an A- mon but I want to make it abundantly clear why such a gap exists.

Yeah, every mon has its checks, so what's wrong with drago having its own ? It has 5 defensive checks in the tier (6 if you count bulu), but everything else falls to it, and it's able to create opportunity by reliably forcing in those checks. Rain is also additional support required for volc to break through pex and gking. Similarly, if you add another layer of support to regidrago in the form of doom desire jirachi or even just an fsight slowtwin, it also becomes much much harder to switch into, even for fairies. (Specs EP will hit quite hard but no ohko, and considering they have regen and probably a ground immune like every team, in practice it's not that easy to break pex and gking with.)
To reiterate, what's wrong with regidrago having its checks is that it CANNOT EVER BREAK THEM. Ttar is a big blacephalon counter, but if you somehow give blacephalon like 6 free switch-ins you can actually muscle past it. This is not true for regidrago. You can give specs regidrago 100 switch-ins and it is never breaking one dumb clefable.

"Reliably forcing in those checks" is nonsense. Not only are you assuming that you are going to outplay your opponent, you need to pair your wallbreaker with another wallbreaker lol. If I "take advantage" of the fairies by doubling in some pissweak iron head u-turn sdef jirachi, I'm not actually making any progress. There's like 15 different mons that will handle rachi and ur regidrago will continue to be walled.
The point I'm trying to illustrate is that Regidrago is only as consistent as the fairy killer mons that you pair with it. If the opposing team has a fairy AND a nidoking/melmetal answer, then I'm shit outta luck. None of this makes regidrago good, it just makes nidoking/melmetal good.

Doom Desire rachi+regidrago sounds funny but lets be clear, future sight does not make regidrago that much harder to switch into. Tapu lele will shrug off fs and dragon stab, and you will not have fun trying to switch into lele, a good wallbreaker. Tapu koko/clefable/tapu fini can easily hard switch into slowtwins and deny ur regidrago a free entry. Sure, they might eat a future sight, but those fairies can wall regidrago at half health lol.

In the case of stall, toxapex can comfortably set up light screen vs slowtwins and proceed to tank regidrago with blissey+light screen (even assuming clefable died somehow), set up rocks, maybe lay a toxic on you, and slowly make you useless. Fs+drago is far from consistent, but rain+specs volcanion is consistent. That's the difference between the extra layer of support.

I feel like you're pulling at strings here. Specs zard and band darm require to be put on a whole sun team + have one or two VERY reliable hazard remover, so they pretty much lock you into having either mandi or corv as they are the most reliable defoggers which suffer from their own issues when using them on offensive sun teams, so that's really a lot of support, more than drago despite what you may seem to think.

Because they absolutely cannot be used when rocks are up, as they take great damage from them while also chipping themselves very hard with solar power or fblitz, it can be very hard to find an opportunity to actually bring them in, as you need to have both sun up and hazards down for them to be able to do their job, and the only viable sun setter is a passive, slow mons which gets rocked on by everything despite having rapid spin.

They also have a meh speedtier and absolutely NONEXISTANT defensive utility, on top of being very predictable and suddenly becoming much harder to use once tran enters the equation.

Moreover, playing sun puts you at risk of losing to every other weather super easily because it's extremely hard to keep bringing in torkoal vs sand or rain, and even hail can take advantage of torkoal's abysmal speed to just put on pressure with arctozolt, even when hail is down, similarly to how playing drago comes with the price of having a harder time against teams with fairies (but sun vs other weather is even worse than that).

With all that in mind, I feel like your last sentence is kinda preposterous, unless you happen to be the best sun player in the world and can make every prediction right while also being able to keep rocks off and sun up at all times while still not letting pressure go so you don't risk switching darm or charizard on any move that might bop them (which is almost every move in the game). Regidrago definitely needs considerably less support, and puts out better results on average. To me they shouldn't even be ranked, eruption tran and band victini are infinitely better sun breakers.
Every worthwhile sun team runs a defogger, whether that be corv or mandi. Said birds also run u-turn. This is not a lot of support, this is on every sun team. This is all that specs zard and *Sheer force LO darm need (probably better than band).

Torkoal does not get rocked on by much actually. Lando-t and Garchomp risk burns from lava plume, ferro dies duh, heatran/ttar get body pressed. Torkoal is not a good spinner though, in fact I dont even run spin on my torkoal, I run rocks. It's a pretty good rock setter, one of the few that beats corv effortlessly, and it can toxic the others. Torkoal is a slow rocks weak shitty mon but it's not actually that passive between plume/press/toxic. It's definitely the worst weather setter though.
Charizard and Darmanitan's speed tier is significantly better than Regidrago's, outspeeding/tying mons like lele, zapdos, urshifu, etc. Yes its still meh.

Moreover, their defensive utility does exist. I stated in my previous post multiple examples where charizard can come in and regidrago could not. The pokemon with zero defensive utility is specs regidrago, because it cannot afford to lose any health, despite its respectable bulk. Zard and darmanitan can afford to switch in sometimes because as long as they're alive, they can still get kills.

Sun does not also lose to every other weather super easily like you may think. A +2 venu even after pelipper/ttar have removed sun is still a massive threat and will probably claim a kill, and hail teams often only carry fire resists like volcanion/chomp/heatran, none of which will enjoy switching into ur fire type breaker, even under hail. Specs Regidrago vs fairy is far more hopeless, and fully reliant on other teammates to win.

It's hilarious that you think specs zard/LO darm are predictable or hard to use vs heatran when you're advocating for Regidrago. Specs Regidrago is literally clicking 1 move it just has 3 different names, they all do the same exact thing, and they're all just as helpless vs fairy. But Specs Zard has focus blast which literally OHKO's heatran under the sun. (252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran in Sun: 396-466 (102.5 - 120.7%)). Darmanitan also carry coverage like earthquake. Sure, it may require some prediction, but at least you can do your own job as a wallbreaker without having to rely on teammates to pick up the slack.

You say keeping sun up and hazards off is so difficult, but using regidrago requires keeping hazards off and your slow pivots alive too. It isn't considerably less support. You fight other weather less often than you fight a fairy. Moreover, it is not putting out better results. If regidrago is doing anything more than 50% of the time, it's because of your teammates, not bc of regidrago. Specs zard and LO darm are unwallable, and have niches that separate them from specs eruption tran and band victini (who are better overall.) Specs Eruption heatran suffers from the same problem of needing to stay very healthy, and you must run 2 fire moves to take advantage of its defensive typing. Victini also has trouble with opposing heatran as it lacks a move to OHKO, but darmanitan has eq and is overall more flexible thanks to LO and not requiring choice band. Both of these mons are valid at C-, and are better than regidrago.

Pulse is still stronger than any of specs latios' moves, but the rest of the points are extremely valid and latios is probably a better breaker than drago in most cases (hence why, once again, i'm only nomming it to C/C-).

In theory yes, but in practice zard is chipped by its own solar power and thus even small hits are something it hates. Besides buzz's cc or ice punch actually deal quite a lot of damage ( 0 Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 89-105 (29.9 - 35.3%)), even corv's brave bird probably does like 25-30%, and it hates being toxiced as that just adds even more the the chip of solar power, especially since it needs to be able to stay in for several turns to break some mons (like pex). Drago might not be able to switch into all these moves, but it doesn't mind toxic or burn too much either because it usually only stays in for 1 turn anyways, and being chipped is not as dramatic as you make it out to be as pulse remains threatening to a lot of mons. Yes going below 60% means you are no longer able to break a handful of mons as effectively, but once you broke them, you can play more freely with your regidrago. Similarly to the examples you gave, it switches into bro or pex's scald or on fsight, on seismic tosses due to it having humongous hp, on volcanion's fire blast or steam eruption should the need arise. Zard is also very easily ohkoed by mons like zerora, koko, and generally faster threats even from full, which a healthy drago can stay in on and trade with should the need be.
Again, being chipped is not a problem for zard, but it is a problem for regidrago. You really don't need to be kept super healthy unless ur fighting hard stall.

You bring up regidrago switching over to specs dragon pulse, but specs regidrago without dragon energy is frankly worthless. You acknowledge latios is probably a better breaker in most cases, and it is. The one case it's not is when Regidrago is using dragon energy, and that's why I'm so fixated on assuming regidrago is being kept healthy. Because if it isn't, it is overshadowed by other much better pokemon and is not worth using. I know regidrago is actually pretty bulky but I'm not assuming it takes any hits because if my dragon breaker is gonna take hits im not using Regidrago.

Also uh regidrago isn't trading with koko lol. Fairy type strikes again...
Are you comparing one of the tier's premiers defensive pivot, with decent pressure options in fsight, ice beam for chomp and landot, scald to burn anything, reliable recovery + the amazing regenerator to the chippable, walking liability waiting to be set-up on, FIRE-TYPED DEFENSIVE POKEMON that torkoal is rn ? Bro is amazing, and it's undiscutably better to run bro on every team than torkoal.
Already broke down sun/torkoal above, but let's not act like regidrago is splashable or anything. I understand specs zard/LO darm are only fitting on some sun teams, but you need good hazard removal+2 slow pivots+regidrago+something to kill fairies minimum. This is already restrictive, and it goes well beyond just slowbro. Meanwhile torkoal+mandi/corv is enough for zard/darm, and is already on every sun team.

Again, most teams like to run two breakers anyways, so I don't see how that's much of a problem, and defensive tran is great with drago all the same.
And let me hammer this point home again: it IS a problem for your wallbreaker to be useless and fully reliant on the other half the time. Defensive heatran is not forcing fairies to take damage, you need to dedicate another slot in your team to another dedicated wallbreaker. Two GOOD breakers will weaken shit for each other.

For example, let's look at Cb ttar+dracozolt. They both force stuff like lando-t, garchomp, corviknight, hippo, buzzwole etc to take damage for the other pokemon. They work together and have GOOD offensive synergy. Moreover while cb ttar is the main breaker, it isn't expected to do everything. Dracozolt can weaken its own checks too, given enough switch-ins. These are a good pair of breakers.

What if we look at something like regidrago+nidoking? Regidrago is plowing through most steel types, sure, but nidoking wasn't struggling with that. Regidrago can bulldoze blissey, but every super stall team is gonna carry an unaware clefable and you're not doing shit to that. What does nidoking do for regidrago? Nobody keeps their fairy in vs nidoking, especially w/regidrago in the back. Did you weaken a lando-t, or a slowbro, or AV glowking? Regidrago doesn't care, it was only concerned with the fairy. When you use these two together, it is a one or the other cointoss. They don't have any synergy together, you're just hoping they don't have an answer to both. And when they do (every stall team will carry blissey+unaware clef), all you can do is click x. U dedicated 2 teamslots to full on wallbreakers and u still get 6-0d by stall...I'd sooner use conk.

Last edited:
With an update on the Horizon I'm gonna give my own take on some of the rises/drops/stays that I've seen, maybe one or two of my own.

Rises?????

--> S: Sorry Swords of Justice, these are the real three musketeers! A lot has been said about putting Tran and Weavile with Lando and I'm inclined to agree, as these are really the top dogs calling the most shots on the meta's trends and performing the most consistently. However, I don't think Lando belongs anywhere below unless S was just gonna become S- or something

--> A+: Hurricane scary. Zappy is thriving right now, offensive sets are really hard to deal with and can get a lot of damage on crucial mons to break through while still pressuring physical attackers. A lot of its same old good traits are still present today, just exacerbated because teams highly prepped for Weavile have a lot of trouble ALSO prepping for Zappy.

--> A+: Given my own two cents on Lele, didn't give a shoutout to the scarf set though which I do still really like.

B6F12473-44A6-4DF5-B1FA-2F5217B517BF.png
--> A: A trendier pick that at least deserves A, though I think A+ is just a bit much with how it can get taken advantage of and runs away in fear of wind. Need to see how it deals with the special attacker insurgence currently simmering before I say anything more, too

721.png
--> A/A-: Slightly on the fence cause I think either keeping or rising it would be valid since while HDB sets are nice for getting it on the field, it does miss out on the power and immediate scariness of specs (and the ground weakness does make me sad even if it's not really thaaaat big of a deal). However, I totally agree that Volcanion isn't just a flash in the pan mon and really has a place.

--> B+: Wow, zero switch-ins to negative switch-ins! Anyway, Nidoking is also really liking the 2022 meta since it eats balance for breakfast lunch and dinner but with the same flaws as it's always had. I still think A- is really pushing it for one update for reasons I've discussed but I don't think it's just a poor man's Volcanion like one of my friends does >_>

--> B+: The wallbreaker set also really likes current meta trends! Once again, A- is just too much because Ttar flaws are always gonna be Ttar flaws unless something drastically changes but I genuinely think Ttar does manage to stick out among swaths of wallbreakers, and screwing with weather teams is just really fun and makes me slightly biased (maybe maybe).

--> B-/B: Okay maybe B is too much for how one-dimensional this thing can be but I do admit that I've slept on this mon for quite a while. It truly is threatening and did make me a little more critical of how some grounds (like Lando lol) hate getting worn down. Not much more to add I guess?

Drops :V

--> A: Fini is still great but just feels a bit awkward and out of place with the heavyweights of A+. I think some people do undersell the value Fini has in stop-gapping a lot of the meta and annoying a lot of mons from making progress but it really does have issues getting worn down since despite being a dark resist it's one of the mons that most hates getting its lefties removed. Scarf sets are cool but there's surprisingly some stiff competition in terms of scarfers right now which I never thought I'd say???

--> A-: Still good but feeling a little outdated at this point, I agree that it can be a bit dubious as a special tank. On the fence about this one all things considered, though

--> A-: Matchup moth is a nightmare in terms of conduciveness for a legit consensus on this thing's performance, but its weaknesses as a wincon are a little more exacerbated right now even though it remains one of the most immediately threatening mons in the teambuilder (since 2011 baby!)

--> A-/B+: Maybe a hot take but maybe not, sometimes I forget this thing exists a little even though it can be very threatening. Loses steam pretty quickly and without a steady hand it can lose a lot of momentum which was a problem that existed before, but I think rocky helmet spam just poses a lot of issues for this mon's progress as well as it not always loving that teams are trying to barricade very hard against things like Weavile nowadays.

--> B-: OU's current punching bag, not gonna beat a dead horse but it can still perform well in certain teams even if it's past its glory days. Don't actually think this or Bulu are better than the other necessarily, but maybe this still edges out Bulu? Oh well.

Stay same pls

:regidrago: --> UR: -_-

I want to comment before the next VR shifts cause I think the Drago discussion has run its course, so I have a bit more to talk about.

How does it fail against half of OU teams though ? Even when having an immunity to it, you're forced into a 50/50 everytime it comes out, with the drago player being at advantage because they have the offensive momentum. Letting in a melm or nido on the double could cost you a lot, just as much as staying in, when Drago doesn't really mind firing a dud and being forced out too much (and it could even stay and click energy again if you predict them to double back out).
Because a majority of OU teams either have a fairy or two, or are too offensive for Drago to come in safely like the choice spam team which btw also has a fairy. I don’t think a mon that fully relies on slow pivots and double switches to get work done is a good thing. Sometimes it isn’t as simple as “just double switch into X”. If we went by that logic then I would say Sirfetch’d should be ranked because while it gets walled by Pex, you can just double into Lele. A mon needs to do more than that, which is why Eleki comparisons were made, because it doesn’t rely on double switches to get anything started. It can spin. Not to mention there are like six viable fairies in the tier and two of them (Clef/Koko) are rising in response to broken aah Weavile.

Torkoal has enough bulk to tank hits from Lando or Chomp and burn them. Its movepool lets it cover things the team needs. Body Press for Tran/Ttar, Spin or Rocks to free a team slot, Yawn to generate momentum. Which is something Zard and Darm would want. Sun teams are fine with running two forms of hazard removal because of its role compression. Not to mention Sun has its benefits like 6-0ing stall, using busted Venu, and having a good mu against certain BO structures like Lando/Ferro teams. Yes Sun is inconsistent, but there are clear benefits and the risk/reward is there.

If we are talking about Zard not having defensive utility, then Drago has negative defensive utility since it does not want to switch in on anything. Also Zard’s 100 base speed is not a bad speed tier for a breaker. More Trans are foregoing Flash Fire for Flame Body to punish Weav/U-Turn. Zard and Darm are obviously not good, but once they can get a free switch in, they are going to claim a kill. Whereas Drago needs fairies gone, Zard can just Focus Miss Tran to Brazil if it wants it gone. The reason Zard’s ability to swap into Kart, Ferro, or Buzzwole was brought up is because it only needs one turn to break a hole. It is obviously very inconsistent, but less so than Drago who needs to be both perfectly healthy, and fairies exterminated to function.

Drago also struggles with weather teams cause the offensive pressure they put out does not let Drago come in often. One thing you forget to mention is that Torkoal is slower, meaning in the lead mu, Sun will be set up. Hippo gets crippled by lava plume burns, Tar gets hit by BP or burnt, and there is no way Alolatales gonna risk coming in on Torkoal and reset the weather. The only mu I see it struggling with is rain which it can still run Toxic for in case.

So yeah, I really feel like that comparison was kinda wonky and Drago is definitely better, easier to use/bring in and requires less support than specs zard overall.
That is true. Some teams do in fact run two breakers, but to echo Srn, they don’t have good synergy. It wouldn’t be like Nido would have trouble fitting opportunities to come in with all the pivots in the tier. Sometimes the best pairings are mons with shared checks. Which is why Lele/Pult is such a scary offensive core. Yes Drago can murder Bliss/Slowking/Gastro, but if they have a fairy, both of them are stuffed out. In this case you are running a mon that is not only completely walled by fairies, but it also does not offer any defensive utility. Lets just put it this way, the team you posted when nomming Drago does not do well vs Band Beat Up Weav. Everything on the team is 2HKOd, OHKOd by it. In this case, Buzz would be a perfect fit on the team since it covers that mu, has offensive pressure of its own, and can still do the same double into Tran/Nido while actually being good. That is why I mentioned opportunity cost earlier. A lot of teams can not afford to lose defensive utility and want to cover a potentially bad mu. Even if you wanted a special dragon type that can kill everything, you have Latios. It still 2HKOs the whole tier, it has a good speed tier, and actual defensive utility.

Eleki also works because all ground types are scared of Weavile and are usually not fast outside of Chomp. Fairies in OU on the other hand are incredibly diverse. Nido can beat Koko/Clef/Fini but you don’t want to your Nido to stay on Lele/Alolatales. Tran loses to Fini and can even lose the 1v1 vs Clef if it gets Para’d. Especially since the Tran you showed on the replays didn’t even have Taunt. Meaning it can’t even beat Clef. Band Mel can threaten all fairies but now you have to predict if they go into Ferro or Pex. God forbid they have a Zapdos or worst case scenario Volcarona.

Overall, Drago isn’t worth even considering as a fringe option. Until someone gets success from using Drago in WCOP, I think it should stay UR’d.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Will give people 24-36 hours to ask questions about the rises, drops, or lack thereof as per normal. I will respond to everyone I can, but it may take some time as I do work.

Please do not ask questions that have already been asked -- it takes a very short period of time to look and it wastes my time to repeat myself/refer people to prior responses. Please do not use this as a chance to complain -- it takes me two clicks to delete your post.

Rises:
  • :Garchomp: from A to A+
  • :Slowbro: from A to A+
  • :Buzzwole: from A- to A
  • :Ninetales-Alola: from A- to A
  • :Slowking: from B+ to A-
  • :Barraskewda: from B to B+
  • :Excadrill: from B to B+
  • :Gastrodon: from B to B+
  • :Nidoking: from B to B+
  • :Pelipper: from B to B+
  • :Tyranitar: from B to B+
  • :Cloyster: from UR to B
  • :Celesteela: from C+ to B-
  • :Thundurus-Therian: from C+ to B-
  • :Alakazam: from UR to C-
  • :Omastar: from UR to C-
Drops:
  • :Ferrothorn: from S- to A+
  • :Tapu Fini: from A+ to A
  • :Toxapex: from A+ to A
  • :Corviknight: from A to A-
  • :Magnezone: from A to A-
  • :Hawlucha: from B+ to B
  • :Hippowdon: from B to B-
  • :Jirachi: from B- to C+
  • :Rotom-Heat: from B- to C+
  • :Tapu Bulu: from B- to C+
  • :Cresselia: from C+ to C
  • :Primarina: from C+ to C
  • :Zarude: from C+ to C
  • :Toxtricity: from C to C-
  • :Ribombee: from C- to UR
  • :Charizard: from C- to UR
Ask away

- what has made alakazam all of a sudden more appealing?

- i thought a lot exca suffered from corv, lando-t, rise of other natural checks, and uptick of other weathers would hurt exca's viability not benefit it

- i thought of all things from veil becoming better, to targets of it rising like exca, ttar, buzzwole would benefit hawlucha so why did it drop?

- why didnt jirachi drop furhter? isnt it only appeal beating lele which isnt even that good now and it only rose during kyurem meta so im just wondering why is it there in the first place

Colin

formerly BeardedDrakon
is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
what made toxapex worse than slowbro in such a weavile centric meta? is it the fact that the meta is more offensive?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What changed for Cloyster and Zam to get ranked?
Cloy should've been ranked to begin with; it was seeing semi-consistent usage on screens/veil teams. It has a nice niche as a sweeper.

Alakazam has always been fringe, but a few PsySpam teams on ladder have had success with it and it warranted more consideration than most C- prospects at the moment.
Why did excadrill rise? And why did Toxapex/Ferrothorn drop?
Excadrill has been seeing slightly more usage due to a brief uptick in Sand teams, but it is also an exceptional response to Tapu Koko, which is a great Pokemon in this metagame. Corviknight also seeing less usage and Landorus-T being entirely SDef helps.

Toxapex barely dropped, but its general passivity in a metagame that's trending aggressively and can mitigate the impact of status pretty well has hurt it. Ferrothorn was another borderline one, but a lot of common Defog users handle it and we see a lot of offensive teams that kind of ignore it without any issue, making it slightly less common and effective overall.
- what has made alakazam all of a sudden more appealing?

- i thought a lot exca suffered from corv, lando-t, rise of other natural checks, and uptick of other weathers would hurt exca's viability not benefit it
See my responses to Totomon and Moyashi respectively.
- i thought of all things from veil becoming better, to targets of it rising like exca, ttar, buzzwole would benefit hawlucha so why did it drop?
Hawlucha seldom fits onto Aurora Veil teams, it mandates specific support, and it faces stiff competition from more consistent sweepers. It really sucks into Zapdos, Tapu Koko, and Slowbro, too, while remaining weak to Ice Shard. Not the best spot for it right now.
- why didnt jirachi drop furhter? isnt it only appeal beating lele which isnt even that good now and it only rose during kyurem meta so im just wondering why is it there in the first place
Floor really is not open to questions about slates that happened months ago; I have my hands full with this one enough as is.

It dropped now because there is simply less reason to us it. It rose then because there were more things that warranted trying Jirachi structures. That's really all there is to it. Not sure what else you are looking for.
what made toxapex worse than slowbro in such a weavile centric meta? is it the fact that the meta is more offensive?
I mean most Slowbro are Colbur+Body Press, making SD Weavile worse into Slowbro than Toxapex, which gets Pressure stalled out of Haze and has to fish for a Scald burn ASAP. But also Teleport and Future Sight are huge benefits of using Slowbro, which is a much less passive option overall because of this, while Toxapex is more of a stationary option.
Why didn't Lele rise to A+? I feel like it sticks it out like a sore thumb in A
I don't think it does. Choice Specs is the only set that gets it even in the discussion and that set is riddled with prediction reliance, being a defensive liability, and potentially even needing Focus Blast to hit (multiple times or once upon predicting a switch correctly) to make enough progress.

There really has been a pretty steady amount of Tapu Lele for a while now and while seeing some more Choice Scarf in the set mix makes it a better option against some offenses, it does not really do much considering breaker sets are not really able to carve through teams with as much ease as they were earlier this year/later last year. The pace of the tier has made Tapu Lele slightly harder to use pretty much. If we see more teams focusing on finding openings for Choice Specs or trying to use CM sets, then perhaps it can rise in the future, but for now it does not feel close.
what caused the bulu and cress drop
Probably could've dropped a while ago. Seldom worthwhile. Tapu Bulu has appeal with SD, but is hard to fit. Cresselia has appeal with utility, but only works on very specific teams. No developments have worked in their favor recently while the merit they have continues to stagnate in a metagame with other focal trends, so their ranking kind of decays alongside their relevancy.

Will give people 24-36 hours to ask questions about the rises, drops, or lack thereof as per normal. I will respond to everyone I can, but it may take some time as I do work.

Please do not ask questions that have already been asked -- it takes a very short period of time to look and it wastes my time to repeat myself/refer people to prior responses. Please do not use this as a chance to complain -- it takes me two clicks to delete your post.

Rises:
  • :Garchomp: from A to A+
  • :Slowbro: from A to A+
  • :Buzzwole: from A- to A
  • :Ninetales-Alola: from A- to A
  • :Slowking: from B+ to A-
  • :Barraskewda: from B to B+
  • :Excadrill: from B to B+
  • :Gastrodon: from B to B+
  • :Nidoking: from B to B+
  • :Pelipper: from B to B+
  • :Tyranitar: from B to B+
  • :Cloyster: from UR to B
  • :Celesteela: from C+ to B-
  • :Thundurus-Therian: from C to B-
  • :Alakazam: from UR to C-
  • :Omastar: from UR to C-
Drops:
  • :Ferrothorn: from S- to A+
  • :Tapu Fini: from A+ to A
  • :Toxapex: from A+ to A
  • :Corviknight: from A to A-
  • :Magnezone: from A to A-
  • :Hawlucha: from B+ to B
  • :Hippowdon: from B to B-
  • :Jirachi: from B- to C+
  • :Rotom-Heat: from B- to C+
  • :Tapu Bulu: from B- to C+
  • :Cresselia: from C+ to C
  • :Primarina: from C+ to C
  • :Zarude: from C+ to C
  • :Toxtricity: from C to C-
  • :Ribombee: from C- to UR
  • :Charizard: from C- to UR
Ask away
Thank you Finchy, very cool. Before I make my noms, I got a few questions.

-
FB459C1F-1EAD-49E5-8710-F90E71A7ECDF.png
Veil is good but what was the reason it rose? Is it due to its mu against BO?

-
1AD89839-2428-4291-9FE0-8B27E1C89FE4.png
So happy that Ttar finally rose but I didn’t expect Drill? Is sand making a resurgence? Cause its been popping off in WCOP qualifiers rn.

-
830100D0-7603-47F7-8026-1629334123E3.png
Agreed that it being ranked was long overdue, but why such a huge rise? Doesn’t it struggle pretty badly with bulky waters and steels like Melm?

-
FFC17C55-A9DC-4287-8703-1CB673C791FA.png
Why’d Bulu drop but not Rilla?

-
ADB674B2-CF2A-4A97-B169-251D95DBB168.png
What was this thing doing in B- for so long lmao?

Also Lord Felix in the viability rankings LETSSGOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)