Resource SS Monotype Sample Teams

Banner by Lemingue / Co-Hosted with mushamu / Approved by maroon
Welcome to SS Monotype Sample Teams, your primary place to get, well, SS Monotype sample teams!

The purpose of this resource will be to provide teams that are easy to use and represent the type fairly well for newer players to learn the metagame with. These teams can also be used as a base in order to try out new options in teambuilding. As such, sample teams will be held up to a high standard.

If you're thinking of contributing, great! Please take a moment to read the following.

We will exercise very high standards over which teams are approved. We will not feature teams using sub-optimal archetypes, such as Hyper Offensive Grass or Stall Fairy. While niche tech sets and non-conventional builds (like those seen in RMTs) are not forbidden, submitted teams must be broadly effective and viable in the meta.

The teams showcased in this thread should be representative of the various, viable, relevant play-styles and archetypes present in the Monotype metagame.

Here are the guidelines for submissions:
  • Make sure submissions are in the [Gen 8 Monotype] format.
  • Provide an importable for your team. Don't use nicknames for your Pokemon.
  • Accompanying sprites and art are appreciated, but not mandatory. All of the sprites can be found here.
  • Replays are highly encouraged and are a great way to demonstrate that the team is effective in the metagame. Make sure your teams are tested.
  • This is not the RMT forum; this thread is not the place to seek feedback on undeveloped teams and concepts.
  • Don't Post Memes. They will be deleted.
  • Finally, if you edit your submission based on feedback (or any reason), please make a note of it at the bottom of the post so it can be reevaluated. You can also message me on Smogon, Pokemon Showdown! or Discord (style.css#8283).
Below is a sample submission courtesy of mushamu:
Offensive Ghost

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Wood Hammer

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Strength Sap
- Stealth Rock
- Night Shade
This is a pretty standard Ghost team that I think works well. Swords Dance Aegislash is a setup sweeper that can punch holes in opposing teams with its two STAB moves and coverage in Close Combat, while it becomes powerful if boosted by Weakness Policy. Gengar is the team's speed control, and can revenge kill faster Pokemon such as Dragapult, Choice Scarf Excadrill, Choice Scarf Gardevoir, and setup sweepers like Kommo-o after a boost. Mimikyu is another Swords Dance sweeper alongside Aegislash that can blanket check various threats in the metagame with Disguise. Since this team was a bit Ground weak, I decided to add Wood Hammer in order to soften up the matchup. Choice Specs Dragapult is one of the best offensive Pokemon available to Ghost teams, and can take advantage of its speed along with its coverage to put major with in many matchups such as Steel, Water, Flying, Dragon, Grass, and Ground. Infiltrator is preferred to handle Substitute users such as Hydreigon and Whimsicott but Clear Body can be used too for Sticky Web. Sableye is a stallbreaker that has priority Will-O-Wisp, and is good for blocking hazard setters too. I chose Sableye as a Taunt user for this team, seeing as its very good against Ground and the Knock Off utility is great, but Jellicent can work over it too. Galarian Corsola is the Stealth Rock setter. I picked it over Runerigus, seeing as it can comfortably set Stealth Rock up against Water for Dragapult to break, making the hazard crucial.

:mantyke: Approved Sample Archive :mantyke:
(Click sprites for team paste)

*:Volcarona::Scizor::Buzzwole::Araquanid::Heracross::Galvantula:*

:Grimmsnarl::Tyranitar::Moltres-Galar::Weavile::Hydreigon::Zarude:
:Zarude::Sableye::Tyranitar::Mandibuzz::Drapion::Hydreigon:

*:Kyurem::Dragalge::Duraludon::Dragapult::Dragonite::Hydreigon:*
:Garchomp::Hydreigon::Kyurem::Dragalge::Dragapult::Kommo-o:

:Tapu Koko::Raichu-Alola::Zapdos::Rotom-Wash::Zeraora::Magnezone:
:Regieleki::Tapu Koko::Zeraora::Zapdos::Raichu-Alola::Rotom-Wash:

:Klefki::Clefable::Tapu Koko::Tapu Lele::Tapu Bulu::Tapu Fini:
:Klefki::Clefable::Azumarill::Tapu Bulu::Mimikyu::Tapu Koko:

*:Cobalion::Terrakion::Keldeo::Toxicroak::Zapdos-Galar::Buzzwole:*

*:Moltres::Heatran::Volcarona::Volcanion::Cinderace::Marowak-Alola:*
:Cinderace::Victini::Volcanion::Volcarona::Blacephalon::Torkoal:

:Dragonite::Corviknight::Zapdos::Moltres-Galar::Landorus-Therian::Tornadus-Therian:
:Landorus-Therian::Thundurus-Therian::Celesteela::Mantine::Moltres-Galar::Zapdos-Galar:
:Celesteela::Dragonite::Landorus-Therian::Thundurus-Therian::Corviknight::Moltres-Galar:

:Corsola-Galar::Dragapult::Gengar::Mimikyu::Aegislash::Spectrier:
:Froslass::Spectrier::Mimikyu::Aegislash-Blade::Blacephalon::Dragapult:

:Whimsicott::Rotom-Mow::Zarude::Rillaboom::Ferrothorn::Cradily:

:Garchomp::Nidoking::Landorus-Therian::Mamoswine::Gastrodon::Excadrill:
:Garchomp::Hippowdon::Excadrill::Landorus-Therian::Gastrodon::Mamoswine:

:Ninetales-Alola::Piloswine::Kyurem::Cloyster::Weavile::Arctozolt:
:Ninetales-Alola::Darmanitan-Galar::Kyurem::Weavile::Piloswine::Avalugg:

*:Blissey::Ditto::Porygon2::Heliolisk::Diggersby::Bewear:*

:Toxapex::Amoonguss::Weezing-Galar::Slowking-Galar::Skuntank::Nihilego:
:Toxapex::Amoonguss::Nidoking::Crobat::Drapion::Nihilego:

*:Slowbro::Hatterene::Slowking-Galar::Victini::Tapu Lele::Mew:*
:Tapu Lele::Latias::Jirachi::Victini::Slowbro::Slowking-Galar:

*:Shuckle::Nihilego::Terrakion::Tyranitar::Rhyperior::Coalossal:*

*:Aegislash::Excadrill::Heatran::Corviknight::Melmetal::Ferrothorn:*
:Ferrothorn::Aegislash-Blade::Heatran::Celesteela::Melmetal::Excadrill:
:Jirachi::Aegislash::Skarmory::Heatran::Excadrill::Ferrothorn:

:Pelipper::Slowking::Tapu Fini::Swampert::Urshifu-Rapid-Strike::Barraskewda:
*:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike::Toxapex::Volcanion::Slowking::Gastrodon::Cloyster:*
:Pelipper::Urshifu-Rapid-Strike::Kingdra::Toxapex::Swampert::Barraskewda:
*:Toxapex::Azumarill::Lanturn::Mantine::Quagsire::Slowking:*

Disclaimer: Teams marked with asterisks are more niche builds, have a more complex play style and/or harder to use.
----------------------------------------

Submissions are open for all types. Please keep the guidelines from the original post in mind when submitting teams. If you have a team that is similar or the same archetype as a current sample feel free to post yours as it might replace what's currently being used if it meets requirements.

Last edited:
New thread so new submissions :toast:
Froslass Offensive Ghost
:SS/FROSLASS: :ss/spectrier: :ss/mimikyu: :ss/aegislash: :ss/Polteageist: :ss/dragapult:
https://pokepast.es/b58ff2a677c6272a

Ghost either uses Gcorsola or Froslass as setters. Ghost is an offensive type altho i think that gcorsola teams tends to be more passive while with Froslass you can decide how to direct the game, being able to spam your STAB and putting pressure after your suicide lead has done his work.
Usually Blacephalon/Gengar are preferred over Polteageist and I have other teams with both of them but i think that all of them can be utilized for main purposes, here Polteageist is a strong setup sweeper that is able to destroy Water, Ground and Poison (after chipping down the dark mon) + he can pick off weakened teams. Specs Spectrier is really strong and i started using him with Froslass and they are overall a good combo. This teams tries to get hazard up the first turns and to put as much pressure as possible without losing momentum and giving to the opponent any time to react. I tested this for the past 2 months and also different variations and i overall think it can do well vs many types, especially in mid-high ladder, being able to overwhelm common teams and types.

New team after feedback :
:SS/FROSLASS: :ss/spectrier: :ss/mimikyu: :ss/aegislash: :ss/blacephalon: :ss/dragapult:
https://pokepast.es/00e7dd9d915e6ab8

This team has Blacephalon>Polteageist and Substitute + Np Salac Spectrier. Basically now spectrier is the setup sweeper and Blace the mon that can really quickly snowball teams with his scarf. I tested this in the ladder for a couple of days and it is really cool, i prefer Clear Body on Dpult most likely for Sticky Webs as we don't have a removal, but since we have Taunt Froslass Infiltrator can work as well for sure. Spectrier can actually save many games and even be useful in mirror matchups, while nasty plot allows it to set up and basically threaten everything that isn't normal or dark type.

Last edited:

Arase

Banned deucer.
submitting the most used comp of flying right now.

:ss/zapdos-galar: :ss/moltres-galar: :ss/dragonite: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/celesteela: :ss/thundurus-therian:

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Steel Wing
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Moltres-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpA / 36 SpD / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Fiery Wrath

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 116 HP / 140 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic

goltres evs: enough speed to outspeed slow but big hitters like magnezone, specs aegislash etc. surpassing 240 is a good benchmark and the spa is enough to one shot nidoking with minimum roll after a nasty plot
dnite evs: i think it lived a scarf pult darts so u can kill it with dclaw or something i forgot
lando-t evs: it outspeeds nido which is a very annoying pokemon
celes evs: it outspeeds what it would outspeed it with some low evs such as melmetal, its a low effort evs so its cool to have

Last edited:

Dead by Daylight

16 colors, I’m so lonely
is a Pre-Contributor
:swsh/tapu-fini: :swsh/crawdaunt: :swsh/urshifu-rapid-strike: :swsh/swampert: :swsh/slowking: :swsh/volcanion:

Rainless Water ft. Crawdaunt

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Life Orb
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 25 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Iron Head

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Sludge Wave

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Flip Turn

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Crawdaunt and Urshifu-R provide unresisted Fighting/Dark/Water coverage, so pivot into them when you can. Misty Terrain from Tapu Fini lets Crawdaunt come in without fear of being statused by 'mons like Mantine. Knock Off also provides good utility against potential checks. Use Urshifu-R in the lategame as a cleaner after its checks have been eliminated. The team generally aims to force switches with Future Sight from Slowking into advantageous matchups. Volcanion provides a nice Fire/Water typing that can take care of the not-so-often used Grass-type. Tapu Fini by itself is also quite dangerous: Choice Scarf lets it outspeed many threats. Finally, use Slowking and Swampert to sponge Electric attacks.

Last edited:

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Water Stall seems to be missing Toxapex's held item

This is intentional to minimize damage from Knock Off from things like Bisharp or Crawdaunt.
There's really no point when you can't haze either and can't do a single thing to bisharp (also have quag). Definitely give it black sludge.
On that note I think some of these sample teams are overly complicated and don't provide new players with simple, easy to use teams which is the whole point. Stall water being the foremost of those (clearly a sub-optimal archetype too). Recommend removing these

There's really no point when you can't haze either and can't do a single thing to bisharp (also have quag). Definitely give it black sludge.
On that note I think some of these sample teams are overly complicated and don't provide new players with simple, easy to use teams which is the whole point. Stall water being the foremost of those (clearly a sub-optimal archetype too). Recommend removing these
I always appreciate critical feedback so thank you. I can definitely get behind adding Sludge back to Toxapex (which I have done and the OP is updated).

Are there any other particular teams you feel are overly complicated? The thought process behind these teams is to provide real, competitive, and not watered-down versions of teams you would see around in Monotype. I’ll admit on paper some of the teams may look complicated but in use they are pretty intuitive. This in my mind is helpful in two ways: first new players get “better” teams than in the past which could be the difference between them staying or leaving the tier and second helps newer players to learn some more of the nuances of Monotype and in a perfect world lower the learning curve a bit.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Stall is not beginner friendly but it’s also not unviable. Water is the only type that’s able to pull a such thing off. Maybe separating on meta teams vs niche/uncommon play styles would be nice or possibly small team descriptions. An example of this is Alolan Raichu Electric vs Regeleki Electric. When people submit sample teams those descriptions should be used for the teams and that should explain its place in the metagame. I have some comments abt some other types but I’ll provide some updated teams soon. S/o Meri Berry for this idea ~. The other option is completely removing such playstyles as it requires less work ~

Stall is not beginner friendly but it’s also not unviable. Water is the only type that’s able to pull a such thing off. Maybe separating on meta teams vs niche/uncommon play styles would be nice or possibly small team descriptions. An example of this is Alolan Raichu Electric vs Regeleki Electric. When people submit sample teams those descriptions should be used for the teams and that should explain its place in the metagame. I have some comments abt some other types but I’ll provide some updated teams soon. S/o Meri Berry for this idea ~. The other option is completely removing such playstyles as it requires less work ~
I’ve always wanted descriptions on our teams like other tiers, but the raw amount of teams has made the task daunting. I’ll start working on descriptions for the teams I’ve had a hand in building and reach out to the other builders and see if they’ll provide descriptions as well. If not I can work with door people to create descriptions for them.

We could also add labels for “meta” and “niche” or something along those lines on the pastes as well (not sure if those are the right terms).

Personally I think the Water stall, semi rain, volcanion water, (yeah water is in a super weird place) scarf heatran steel, moltres fire, skunk poison, hatterne psychic, regieleki, double steel flying team all fit under the 'not very beginner friendly' umbrella and I'm not being too picky here either.

Separating sounds nice but I think just removing the sub-optimal ones is better as it's more in line with the focus of the thread. Keep up a niche teams thread for long enough and every new variant of every team that comes outta mpl will end up on there which is pretty pointless imo. If you want a place for these I think starting up a team bazaar thread like some other tiers have got is okay. Let these more niche teams end up there along with anything else people want to submit which people can just take after they've been introduced to the meta a bit.
first new players get “better” teams than in the past which could be the difference between them staying or leaving the tier
The teams are more or less really good even removing the niche stuff. Removing these won't be the difference maker.

Personally I think the Water stall, semi rain, volcanion water, (yeah water is in a super weird place) scarf heatran steel, moltres fire, skunk poison, hatterne psychic, regieleki, double steel flying team all fit under the 'not very beginner friendly' umbrella and I'm not being too picky here either.

Separating sounds nice but I think just removing the sub-optimal ones is better as it's more in line with the focus of the thread. Keep up a niche teams thread for long enough and every new variant of every team that comes outta mpl will end up on there which is pretty pointless imo. If you want a place for these I think starting up a team bazaar thread like some other tiers have got is okay. Let these more niche teams end up there along with anything else people want to submit which people can just take after they've been introduced to the meta a bit.

The teams are more or less really good even removing the niche stuff. Removing these won't be the difference maker.
Starting up a Teams Bazaar thread is a great compromise. Ideally we wanted to give players looking for sample as many options as possible (within reason of course) which is why we focused on providing a team per type archetype.

Next Steps:
  1. We will go through the teams with a more critical eye and pull out the suboptimal and high skill cap teams and add them to a new Teams Bazaar thread.
  2. We’ll be working on adding descriptions to all teams that remain in this thread and make sure any new teams posted to Samples/Bazaar in the future have one as well.
Thanks for the great ideas guys. Anything else you think of let us know!

Dead by Daylight

16 colors, I’m so lonely
is a Pre-Contributor
Starting up a Teams Bazaar thread is a great compromise. Ideally we wanted to give players looking for sample as many options as possible (within reason of course) which is why we focused on providing a team per type archetype.

Next Steps:
  1. We will go through the teams with a more critical eye and pull out the suboptimal and high skill cap teams and add them to a new Teams Bazaar thread.
  2. We’ll be working on adding descriptions to all teams that remain in this thread and make sure any new teams posted to Samples/Bazaar in the future have one as well.
Thanks for the great ideas guys. Anything else you think of let us know!
Yeah, this seems easy to do. Any timetable on when it’ll come out?

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Not really, considering a setup sweeper could just phase you out before you can use Haze.
Its important to note that very few (if any) sweepers in SS Monotype actually phaze, its more of them taunting Pex/outright killing Pex than anything. Said Toxapex also has no Haze, so it can't really do anything vs common SD'ers like Bisharp/Exca/Scizor (you'd go Quagsire there).

That being said, Eject Button seems a bit wonky there, as Pex kinda wants to stay in and spread malice (Koff/Tspikes, Pjab the occasional Hatterene/Fini/Bulu, Knock off DD Pult/Spectrier before it becomes too scary). Though without Haze checking Pult/Spec/Sub SD Bulu seems a bit shaky tho....

Its important to note that very few (if any) sweepers in SS Monotype actually phaze, its more of them taunting Pex /outright killing Pex than anything. Said Toxapex also has no Haze, so it can't really do anything vs common SD'ers like Bisharp/Exca/Scizor (you'd go Quagsire there).

That being said, Eject Button seems a bit wonky there, as Pex kinda wants to stay in and spread malice (Koff/Tspikes, Pjab the occasional Hatterene/Fini/Bulu, Knock off DD Pult/Spectrier before it becomes too scary). Though without Haze checking Pult/Spec/Sub SD Bulu seems a bit shaky tho....
As said above. Well reason I said EB could be a better because you said in the post above no item was for reducing knock damage. Plus EB would be nice because you safely switch azu in. You want psong azu healthy for at least taking two targets done. I think eb wouldnt affect how you play pex. Its a 1 time use item.

As said above. Well reason I said EB could be a better because you said in the post above no item was for reducing knock damage. Plus EB would be nice because you safely switch azu in. You want psong azu healthy for at least taking two targets done. I think eb wouldnt affect how you play pex. Its a 1 time use item.
They mean that they take less damage from Knock Off so that pex doesn't eventually die from a CB Knock Off after chip damage or doesn't get 2hkoed. Knock Off toggles Eject Button without allowing you to switch out, eventually the idea can just be to use the Eject Button earlier in the game so that we don't have the item later on, overall i think Black Sludge is more solid since itemless Tpex / Sticky Hold Gastro are things i used in OU but not sure if those really improve some Match-ups in Mono

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
:ss/kyurem: :ss/dragalge: :ss/duraludon: :ss/dragonite: :ss/dragapult: :ss/hydreigon:
https://pokepast.es/ed539b806243235b
I used this team vs Jojo8868 in week 3. It's a pretty cool dragon team that's featured around Kyurem and Hydreigon breaking and Dragalge and Dragapult pivoting. Since traditional dragon teams are hyper offensive, I figured this team could be really cool to feature a more bulky offensive team that is still consistent. The team is more balanced and centered around playing well with the twin dragons in Kyurem and Hydreigon to get breaking opportunities. Double status Dragapult is nice because you can use the status move that applies to the situation.. for example against Substitute Melmetal you're probably clicking Will-O-Wisp but against Clefable or Tapu Lele you're probably going for the paralysis with Thunder Wave. As long as you have U-turn and Dragon Darts on Dragapult then it should function very well as the team's glue. The Dragonite set is super weird at first glance but it fits the team well. Defog is always super awkward to fit on Dragon but with the introduction of Heavy Duty Boots, Dragonite is probably your best bet. 100 attack EVs with Superpower lets it beat Excadrill and Tyranitar and Roar lets you phase random setup Pokemon like Corviknight. Duraludon is an underrated Pokemon that helps with Dragon's lack of good super effective move switch-ins against Fairy, Ice, and opposing Dragon moves. It also keeps Stealth Rock up against Poison unlike Garchomp, which is important for Hydreigon and Kyurem to break.

Here are some replays to demonstrate how the team works; some of them may not be the exact sets since a lot of people have the 6 Pokemon but they should still show how Choice Scarf Dragapult + double Choice Specs is a powerful combination and the value of a defensive core on Dragon:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8monotype-634862
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8monotype-632673
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1599887624
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8monotype-634862

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)