Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Hello Paleofan !
You cannot currently reset your PS! password unless you are PS! public roomauth or have a Smogon badge.
If you need your Pokémon Showdown password reset AND are a Smogon badgeholder OR PS! public room auth, you can fill out a Password Reset Form. You'll need to make a Smogon account to be able to fill out a form; that's what the email address you sign in to Smogon with is for (PS accounts for regular users don't have emails associated with them).
I can’t reset it.

Kennedy edit: this user has now filled in a password reset form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dead by Daylight

16 colors, I’m so lonely
is a Pre-Contributor
Heyo.

I’m a part of many meta games, and for some reason, I’m not getting notifications from them even if my “Watch” status is on.
Is there an issue or am I just incompetent?

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Heyo.

I’m a part of many meta games, and for some reason, I’m not getting notifications from them even if my “Watch” status is on.
Is there an issue or am I just incompetent?
Hey there. If you miss a notification once, it won’t give you more notifications until you check the thread. Beyond that idk

What’s the difference between Smogoff and CotM?

Suggestion:

A rule -InfinityWeather to be added on "/challenge" command

This is a simple rule that we can add on matches. Basically allow us to decide if we want a infinity weather on match or not, only writting: -"InfinityWeather:On" or "InfinityWeather:Off", if we want to play a Gen 5 with Weather Turn Limit or Gen 8 with Infinity Weather and Terrains. By default, on Gen 1, 2 , 3 , 4 and 5, this will be turned on and on Gen 6 onwards formats will be Off by default.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Suggestion:

A rule -InfinityWeather to be added on "/challenge" command

This is a simple rule that we can add on matches. Basically allow us to decide if we want a infinity weather on match or not, only writting: -"InfinityWeather:On" or "InfinityWeather:Off", if we want to play a Gen 5 with Weather Turn Limit or Gen 8 with Infinity Weather and Terrains. By default, on Gen 1, 2 , 3 , 4 and 5, this will be turned on and on Gen 6 onwards formats will be Off by default.
Hey, there was a very similar suggestion on the PS subforum (here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/adding-permanent-weather-for-the-custom-rules.3701920/). It got approved so this feature is likely to get added when a dev finds some time to look into it.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I apologize if this information is readily available elsewhere, but I couldn't find it and thought it would be easier to ask here: does GXE ever decay? I know about Elo decay although I could have sworn in the past that I've lost GXE at times without having played any games in a tier. Similarly, at some point if you haven't played games in a long time does your GXE/Glicko-1 turn into the "(more games needed)" text? I ask because I want to essentially "retire" from playing Showdown and I think I would feel more at peace if my ratings were no longer displayed. I know this probably sounds lame but I've kind of developed an unhealthy relationship with competitive Pokemon (which is why I intend to stop playing) and while I know that my alts will decay off of the ladders, the ones with good GXEs or GXEs close to certain "thresholds" (which I get are just imagined anyway) are harder to leave as they are. So I guess to make this more succinct, my question is if I just leave my Showdown accounts alone for a while, will they eventually no longer display much rating information, and if so, how long would it take for that happen? Also, I know that this was kind of an odd thing to ask about and I feel a little self-conscious saying that "I've developed and unhealthy relationship with competitive Pokemon," since I'm aware how that sounds lol, but I'm just trying to find a little more closure to help stepping away from a hobby I've spent so much time and thought on.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
my question is if I just leave my Showdown accounts alone for a while, will they eventually no longer display much rating information
If you don't play for long enough your GXE will eventually display as a "–".

If you want to prove this to yourself you can use the rank command on an old account. An example I know of is /rank aim. aim has more than enough games in tiers like [Gen 7] NU to have had a GXE at one point, but the account has been inactive in that tier for long enough that the GXE is "–" and the Glicko-1 is provisional.

In fact, the example above, Gen 7 NU for aim, is a pretty good way to see what your accounts will look like after enough inactivity. Elo will be 1500 or less, GXE will be blank, and Glicko-1 will be two numbers that are basically meaningless to humans and that are both marked provisional. You can, of course, also reset your W/L to have the W, L, and Total columns be 0 as well.

I'm just a mod of one of the social forums so I basically have negative knowledge of what powers PS mods have, but there's a chance that you may be able to get ladder info further cleared if you ask someone. That suggestion is a complete guess though (don't be mad at me PS mods reading this), and what you can get by just not playing is already pretty good.

Last edited:

Sijih

game show genius
To be explicitly clear: no, GXE does not decay. It will always stay the same, regardless of inactivity.

This is not tied to time - this is just a matter of not having enough matches for a proper Glicko-1 to be determined.
I took my information from this post. Specifically, from this quote:
"where Elo ladders have to manually implement rating decay to discourage periods of inactivity, Glicko builds inactivity into the rating system, with RD increasing the longer a player remains inactive."

This quote implies that GXE is specifically tied to time, because your Glicko RD is tied to time and your GXE directly uses your Glicko RD in the calculation. I intentionally didn't use the word decay in my post nor did I quote the part of the original post that mentioned decay because I was aware that it wasn't decay like the one found in Elo system.

My understanding from looking around the PS github repository was that PS uses the GXE calculation as outlined in the original X-Act post, where the formula consists only of R, RD, and constants, and that PS will display a blank for GXE if your Glicko RD is > 100. However, I'll freely admit that the PS codebase is pretty opaque to me, and I don't know if their implementation of the RD calculation conforms with the original Glickman paper. Despite this, this file (which seems to be the file that handles the calculation, but again I don't really understand the PS codebase so I'll freely admit I'm wrong) claims that it does follow along with Glickman's paper, so RD should increase with the passage of time when not playing.

Once RD increases enough, it will be over 100 and the GXE will display as a blank, but I intentionally glossed over the details because all the user wanted to know was whether GXE info would disappear after long periods of inactivity.

Additionally, the statement that the "–" only appears when not enough matches are played is confusing me. My account has ladders where I've played 66 games and received a GXE but the user aim that I used as an example in the original post has ladders with 129 games played and no GXE, and I know that I didn't reset my games played stats on my account, so the numbers should be accurate.

Last edited:

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
If you don't play for long enough your GXE will eventually display as a "–".

If you want to prove this to yourself you can use the rank command on an old account. An example I know of is /rank aim. aim has more than enough games in tiers like [Gen 7] NU to have had a GXE at one point, but the account has been inactive in that tier for long enough that the GXE is "–" and the Glicko-1 is provisional.

In fact, the example above, Gen 7 NU for aim, is a pretty good way to see what your accounts will look like after enough inactivity. Elo will be 1500 or less, GXE will be blank, and Glicko-1 will be two numbers that are basically meaningless to humans and that are both marked provisional. You can, of course, also reset your W/L to have the W, L, and Total columns be 0 as well.

I'm just a mod of one of the social forums so I basically have negative knowledge of what powers PS mods have, but there's a chance that you may be able to get ladder info further cleared if you ask someone. That suggestion is a complete guess though (don't be mad at me PS mods reading this), and what you can get by just not playing is already pretty good.
Thank you very much for your response, and also especially for your kind and empathetic statement; I think you edited it out but I saw it last night and I appreciated it. I'm also a little confused though about what Mia said regarding the GXE/Glicko-1 ratings only not appearing due to a lack of games and not being tied to a passage of time. I did some digging into some of my own alts and I found proof of an account no longer displaying GXE/Glicko-1 data despite previously having ratings: I included a screenshot at the top of this RMT post to show that my "Ice Lake" account had a GXE of 81.7% over 42 games, but if you search for that user on the ladder page it says "(more games needed)" for both GXE and Glicko-1. I know I didn't play any more games on that account after playing the initial 42 and posting that RMT on November 21, 2020. However, I also checked an account I used to get reqs for the Urshifu suspect test ("OUTW 31400"), and I hadn't used that account since December 31, 2020. When I looked up that account's ladder page it still has the GXE and Glicko-1 listed. I know that I didn't use that account at all after getting reqs, but strangely, the GXE did actually slightly decrease from 83.5% to 83.4% - I don't know why that happened since I thought that GXE was supposed to be stagnant. I also don't understand why my OUTW 31400 account still displays rating information at all for GXE and Glicko-1 but my Ice Lake account says "(more games needed)," despite having played 42 games on the Ice Lake account and only 34 on the OUTW 31400 alt. So long story short, I greatly appreciate the input from both Sijih and Mia but I'm still confused as to why GXE seems to slightly decrease at times despite no additional games being played and I also don't know why sometimes the GXE/Glicko-1 ratings appear to become "blank" after a long period of inactivity. Additionally, I'm not sure what that "long period of inactivity" is, if that is the case, since my Ice Lake account was last used only about a month before the OUTW 31400 account was last used, but maybe the OUTW 31400 account will also no longer display rating data in a month or so.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Whenever I want to look up something in the pokedex, I go to the home page, select the gen, select pokemon, select search, then type in the thing I want to look up. Could we put search on the home page and every pokedex page?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Whenever I want to look up something in the pokedex, I go to the home page, select the gen, select pokemon, select search, then type in the thing I want to look up. Could we put search on the home page and every pokedex page?
You can just start typing from the get go to search after you select the gen, the category doesn't matter.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Selecting the gen from the main page takes you to this page:
https://www.smogon.com/rb/

You still need one more step to get to a page with search (afaik).
Oh, I assumed you meant the dex home page which is called "Strategy Pokédex" and is what you get to if you click on the Dex tab here on the forums. The alternative would honestly be to have the RB and other gen homepages on the dex directly instead, as most of the links there lead to the dex anyway, there's no real point in adding functionality to the very old infrastructure that is the main Smogon directory.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Oic, I can go straight to the dex page from the forum. Ok, aside from anything you've taken two steps off of my pokedex lookup process, so thanks for that!

Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I'm not really sure where to start in terms of sub-forums/threads. I've looked through most of the categories I think, and I'm still not sure where to start, so how would I go about doing that?

Hi guys,
I have been playing pokemon for a while. however, vgc has not been fun to play anymore, i heard about the smogon community by one of the YouTube players i watch and I am very interested in playing in a new environment. I was hoping someone can help me get started in the community. Like, how do I participate?

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys,
I have been playing pokemon for a while. however, vgc has not been fun to play anymore, i heard about the smogon community by one of the YouTube players i watch and I am very interested in playing in a new environment. I was hoping someone can help me get started in the community. Like, how do I participate?
Hey, Welcome to smogon! The best way (or at least the way I got involved) in the Smogon community was just by joining a tiers discord and talking a lot to people. Being active and participating in forum projects and metagame discussion threads also helps. This is just it at a basic level and someone else can probably elaborate more on it, but if you want you can DM me either here or on discord (Aiyaru#8851) and we can chat more about how to get involved.

Reactions: BP

Sijih

game show genius
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I'm not really sure where to start in terms of sub-forums/threads. I've looked through most of the categories I think, and I'm still not sure where to start, so how would I go about doing that?
Just keep browsing the different subforums, and if you've seen one you don't recognize (sometimes there will be subforums hidden in other forums) click on it and explore it. There will generally be a written explanation of what a forum is all about, either within the pinned rules thread or in a pinned FAQ thread. If you find a forum you really like, then you'll naturally keep going to it, and eventually as you "lurk" and read a bunch of posts you'll get a sense for the culture of the forum and which posts fly and which don't. Once you've lurked enough you'll know what's right to post, and you can start contributing as long as you're not just throwing out one liners (don't be apprehensive or stressed that you have to write a literary classic every time, just don't make substanceless posts)

"Browse/lurk more and then post when you want to" might not seem like the most helpful piece of advice but I promise it's the only correct one. hope you have fun browsing the forums

Last edited:

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
how can you get moderator approval to post a new thread?
Like if i wanted to create a thread in the LC forum, would i just DM coconut or someone?

Quick question... Does anyone know the link to that one website where i can see the most used pokemon in each gamemode and who each pokemon is best paired with?? I believe it's a website with a white background.

(I hope someone knows what i'm talking about lol)

Quick question... Does anyone know the link to that one website where i can see the most used pokemon in each gamemode and who each pokemon is best paired with?? I believe it's a website with a white background.

Nvm I found it... I was thinking of porydex

There are smogon usage stats: https://www.smogon.com/stats/
You can see the most used Pokémons, their set and teammates in the tier you want to.

I believe there is also Pikalytics and maybe you are refearring to that, so check those both

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 6)