Gen 1 Golem (Revamp) [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.

[OVERVIEW]

Golem's Rock / Ground typing makes it a strong attacker that crucially hard counters Zapdos and Jolteon while resisting Normal-type attacks. Its QuakeSlide coverage is completely unresisted and able to 2HKO Pokemon like Rhydon, Zapdos, and Alakazam. This makes Golem excellent at bullying paralyzed Pokemon, but what tops this all off is Explosion. Golem's Explosion, while just shy of Snorlax's Self-Destruct's strength, is terrifyingly strong, even having a chance to OHKO Starmie. Explosion Golem is likely to break even (at worst) against most Pokemon, and this has kept it relevant for decades.

However, Golem is very slow and has devastating weaknesses to most common special attacks; it has to run from Blizzard, Surf, Razor Leaf, and whatnot. Even neutral special attacks such as Psychic will deal significant damage to Golem. Further, being so slow means Golem gets forced to use Explosion in many one-on-one fights. Due to these two setbacks, Golem is very reliant on enemy teams being riddled with paralysis before it gets going. Plus, while Explosion can theoretically compensate for Golem's Speed and let it break even frequently, Golem generally shouldn't use Explosion until the opponent's Zapdos or Jolteon is accounted for, lest its team crumble to them. Therefore, decision-making with Explosion is difficult until Zapdos or Jolteon is paralyzed or KOed, after which it can be deployed more freely and actually exert offensive pressure. This can make its role seem a little paradoxical to the uninitiated.

Golem famously fell from RBY OU in 2019, ending a long-standing battle between it and Rhydon for places on competitive teams. Understanding this is important, as while many teams can use Golem adequately, they tend to be better off with Rhydon instead. This is because Rhydon has a higher Attack stat, which allows it to achieve damage thresholds like 2HKOing Chansey and rarely 2HKOing Starmie. It's also capable of sometimes 3HKOing Slowbro, defusing a key threat if it switches in on Rest. The extra damage output against Exeggutor, Rhydon's and Golem's biggest counter and most common switch-in, is also a key advantage; Exeggutor cannot safely switch in as much as it would like against the rocky rhino. Additionally, Rhydon is bulkier thanks to its higher HP, which also enables 104 HP Substitutes to stomach Seismic Toss or Night Shade. This quirk helps Rhydon reliably run and use Substitute in general; it can fish for Substitute in situations where Golem is forced to use Explosion, making it even harder for Golem to justify itself on teams. Regardless, Golem's strong perks over Rhydon remain recognized: possessing the second-strongest self-KO move and outrunning Rhydon allow it to indisputably succeed over Rhydon on highly specific teams.

[SET]
name: Explosion
move 1: Rock Slide
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Body Slam
move 4: Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

QuakeSlide coverage allows Golem to hit the entire RBY roster for at least neutral damage. Rock Slide potentially OHKOes Articuno, Moltres, and Jynx; it also 2HKOes Zapdos and sometimes Dragonite. Earthquake is Golem's strongest attack without drawbacks and should be used liberally; it can OHKO Gengar and Jolteon and 2HKO Alakazam and Rhydon. Body Slam lets Golem be more self-sufficient in the paralysis-spreading effort, and it's useful to potentially incapacitate checks like Starmie and Exeggutor.

What defines Golem, however, is Explosion. The dream of a Golem player is to beat out Zapdos or Jolteon late-game, then use Explosion on the opponent's last healthy Pokemon. This is a difficult dream to attain, but not impossible. Golem should ideally use Explosion very late into a game; usually, this is when the trade is clearly game-winning and the potential Electric-type threat has been accounted for. If Golem uses Explosion before Zapdos or Jolteon is revealed, its team may fall apart. Knowing common team structures and strategies involving these Pokemon is essential to predict if Explosion is safe prior to the last Pokemon being revealed. Tauros, Snorlax, and Chansey are omnipresent, so this can alleviate prediction by a chunk. Golem should ideally use Explosion against Starmie, which normally threatens Golem's partners with its sublime coverage and Speed. Starmie should ideally be ever-so-slightly chipped or paralyzed before doing this, as an OHKO isn't guaranteed. If Starmie lacks Surf, Golem can add the chip damage itself, as Blizzard deals 79.3% at most without a critical hit. If Starmie isn't present, Golem can also use Explosion on Chansey or Snorlax to pave the way for Tauros. Outside of this, Explosion can be a handy contingency plan in the event Slowbro snowballs out of control.

Golem is frequently pushed out by Rhydon on teams, as its Explosion and favorable matchup against its rocky friend are typically unnecessary. Parties that require these traits typically use Pokemon like Moltres, which appreciate a better matchup against Rhydon- and Zapdos-centric teams. Teams that can't afford to compress the self-KO role onto Snorlax with Self-Destruct, or that wish to use an Explosion user alongside it, can also utilize Golem over Rhydon. Teams that feature many Explosion users—"Boom Offense"—will sometimes include Golem, but its low defensive utility makes it a tough fit even then.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Customizing Golem usually involves looking at what it has over Rhydon, but this tends to be a fool's errand when looking beyond Explosion. If you must customize Golem, Body Slam is the most replaceable option, but note that this means its team will need at least one more reliable paralysis-spreading Pokemon to be effective.

Golem can run Substitute to try and be like its brother Rhydon, but at that point, it's usually better to bite the bullet and use the stony superior. The utility of having both Substitute and Explosion is typically just not enough. Fire Blast can burn Exeggutor switching in, effectively ruining its Explosion, but it deals just barely more damage than Rock Slide, and Golem is usually forced out thereafter anyway. Defense Curl or Harden can let Golem consistently wall Snorlax and reapply the Speed drop from paralysis, but these perks are dubious at best in respect to what Golem wants to do.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Golem's Earthquake and threaten it with Sleep Powder or Psychic, forcing it out and granting Exeggutor's team significant momentum. Mega Drain variants are particularly soul-crushing, almost OHKOing Golem while letting Exeggutor recover almost half its HP. Once Exeggutor is at half HP and paralyzed, however, it's in Rock Slide's 2HKO range and cannot switch in.

**Super Effective Coverage**: It's hard to name a Pokemon in RBY OU that doesn't have a super effective move against Golem. Any Pokemon with Surf or Razor Leaf, such as Starmie, Venusaur, or Victreebel, can OHKO Golem outright. Blizzard or Ice Beam users like Starmie, Chansey, Articuno, Tauros, and Amnesia Snorlax can also deal significant-to-heavy damage to Golem. Even Rhydon's Earthquake 2HKOes. Golem can usually take non-STAB Blizzard from full HP though, so keep this in mind for when a risky trade is necessary.

**Reflect Normal-types**: Reflect Snorlax doesn't care about anything Golem can throw at it, effortlessly trading blows with it. If it has Ice Beam, the matchup becomes completely unwinnable. The best Golem can offer in the matchup is using Explosion before Snorlax can use Reflect, after Reflect has already been revealed, but this should only be done in desperate situations. Reflect Chansey can perform similar feats, being just fast enough to use Reflect before Golem can use Explosion by default, but it should be at least a little afraid if paralyzed and without Reflect set up.

**Starmie**: While it's afraid of Body Slam paralysis, Starmie normally runs at least one super effective move against Golem, namely Surf or Blizzard. Surf OHKOes Golem outright, while Blizzard deals up to 79.8%. Unlike Rhydon, Golem can't 2HKO Starmie without a very lucky critical hit or Explosion. While Golem does like to use Explosion against Starmie, it's only 38.5% to OHKO, so the matchup remains a bad situation for it in a vacuum. Golem can only outright win this matchup if Starmie has taken prior damage or paralysis.

**Cloyster**: You know it's bad when Clamp deals over half a Pokemon's HP. While Cloyster greatly fears Rock Slide, especially if paralyzed, it can use Blizzard to potentially OHKO Golem in return, or Clamp—liberally—to scout for its switch-in.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[May, 236353]]
- Previous version by: [[ShuckleDeath, 273347]]
- Quality checked by: [[Amaranth, 265630], [FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525], [Sceptross, 123746]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Astra, 240732], [Lumari, 232216], [Finland, 517429], [CryoGyro, 331519]]

Last edited by a moderator:
103 HP Substitutes
I recall recently reading somewhere on Smogon that in RBY Substitutes are the HP lost + 1 HP, which would give Rhydon 104 Subs. I don't
find the post anymore though. This is also what Bulbapedia states, but is not implemented on PS. I recommned making sure what is really supposed to happen.

[Golem's] Rock Slide OHKOes Articuno, Moltres, and Jynx; it also 2HKOes Zapdos, Cloyster, and sometimes Dragonite and Lapras
OHKOs on those 3 are not guaranteed. Cloyster is never 2HKOed. 2HKOing Lapras is very rare.

Earthquake is Golem's strongest attack and should be used liberally when the opportunity presents itself; it OHKOes Gengar and Jolteon
None of these OHKOs are guaranteed. Golem doesn't hit as hard as Rhydon :blobsad:

Body Slam lets Golem be more self-sufficient in the paralysis-spreading effort and should be used when the opponent is likely to switch their Pokemon out. It should be noted, however, that the damage is quite weak, so it should strictly be used for this purpose.
I don't like the part I bolded - it makes it sound as if Golem should only use Body Slam when you are predicting a switch which is often true but not always. I would consider changing this entirely to something like: "Body Slam lets Golem be more self-sufficient in the paralysis-spreading effort and is useful to potentially cripple it's checks like Starmie and Exeggutor".

Mention Starmie in checks and counters.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I recall recently reading somewhere on Smogon that in RBY Substitutes are the HP lost + 1 HP, which would give Rhydon 104 Subs. I don't
find the post anymore though. This is also what Bulbapedia states, but is not implemented on PS. I recommned making sure what is really supposed to happen.

OHKOs on those 3 are not guaranteed. Cloyster is never 2HKOed. 2HKOing Lapras is very rare.

None of these OHKOs are guaranteed. Golem doesn't hit as hard as Rhydon :blobsad:

I don't like the part I bolded - it makes it sound as if Golem should only use Body Slam when you are predicting a switch which is often true but not always. I would consider changing this entirely to something like: "Body Slam lets Golem be more self-sufficient in the paralysis-spreading effort and is useful to potentially cripple it's checks like Starmie and Exeggutor".

Mention Starmie in checks and counters.
Implemented all of this! Thank you very much.

I reworded the KO ranges to "maybes", which should improve the accuracy. I personally think they should be noted, it's a case of framing issues in my opinion.

Last edited:
If Golem Explodes before Zapdos or Jolteon is revealed, its team will typically fall apart.
Jolteon is often less threatening than Zapdos. Since Golem is rarely used, I am not completely sure how likely it is that people are running e.g. Exeggutor alongside it. I would rephrase this slightly, maybe replace "typically" with "might"

**Cloyster**: You know it's bad when Clamp deals over half a Pokemon's HP. While Cloyster greatly fears a Rock Slide from Golem, especially if paralyzed, it can use Blizzard to OHKO Golem in return, or Clamp liberally to scout for its switch-in.
Blizzard is not a guaranteed OHKO

Golem can only outright win if Starmie has taken prior damage and paralysis, wherein most other Pokemon will be effective.
A friend of mine suggested "Golem can only outright win this matchup if Starmie has taken prior damage and paralysis, which in turn would open up offensive opportunities for other Pokémon." as alternative phrasing which I think I like better, but this is just a minor thing.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Jolteon is often less threatening than Zapdos. Since Golem is rarely used, I am not completely sure how likely it is that people are running e.g. Exeggutor alongside it. I would rephrase this slightly, maybe replace "typically" with "might"

Blizzard is not a guaranteed OHKO

A friend of mine suggested "Golem can only outright win this matchup if Starmie has taken prior damage and paralysis, which in turn would open up offensive opportunities for other Pokémon." as alternative phrasing which I think I like better, but this is just a minor thing.
Fixed all these. Should be good now!

Sceptross

The words were voted out by a landslide
is a Community Contributor
This is because Rhydon has a higher Attack stat that allows it to achieve damage thresholds like 2HKOing Chansey and rarely Starmie, as well as 3HKOing Slowbro.
The two biggest perks Rhydon has over Golem are the much better Chansey matchup (even if Chansey doesn't have Reflect, the guaranteed 2HKO is too good to pass up), and the considerably higher damage output on Exeggutor. Two Rock Slides leave Exeggutor in Tauros' HB range. Between Body Slam paralysis and Rock Slide, Exeggutor cannot realistically expect to switch into Rhydon more than twice, whereas against Golem it can. Rhydon can realistically overwhelm the rare Rest Exeggutor (BS + 3 Rock Slides are a guaranteed KO), whereas Golem has much worse odds of doing so. Whereas I don't think you should necessarily list all these perks, I think it warrants at least a quick mention in the analysis. Something along the lines of "the extra damage output against Exeggutor, their biggest counter and most common switch-in when present in the opponent's team, is also a key advantage Rhydon has over Golem, since Exeggutor cannot safely switch-in as much as it would like against the rocky rhino.".

The 3HKO on Slowbro is likely but not guaranteed, but I feel the way it is written in the previous sentence implies it is, so I would also reword it to reflect that. I would also personally make a mention that while Explosion is undoubtfully an amazing move, it means Golem is forced to explode in situations where Rhydon can try to use Substitute, like fishing for full paralysis (or the already mentioned reflect chansey matchup).

I know I'm stressing a lot the comparison between Rhydon and Golem, but that is, in my humble opinion, the key of an analysis to Golem. We are stating Rhydon is a OU staple whereas Golem doesn't even cut it in UU, when they are so similar in theory. Stating the reasons why in the overview is paramount. I could go on and on, there's many other ranges that Rhydon hits that Golem can only hope to achieve (guaranteed KO on Jynx is huge), but for the sake of keeping things simple, I agree they shouldn't be mentioned. Unless you find a way to do so without making it feel like the comparison is dragging on and on, but I don't think that's feasible.

I'll try to think of other things but if you implement this, I'll likely QC 2/2.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Golem's Rock / Ground typing makes it a strong attacker that crucially hard counters Zapdos and Jolteon while resisting Normal-type attacks. QuakeSlide coverage is completely unresisted in RBY, and coming off its very high Attack stat, Golem can 2HKO Pokemon like Rhydon, Zapdos, and Alakazam. This makes Golem excellent at bullying paralyzed Pokemon, but what tops this all off is Explosion. Golem's Explosion, while just shy of Snorlax's Self-Destruct's power, (or reword another way if desired) is terrifyingly strong, even having a chance to OHKO Starmie. Thanks to this, Explosion, Golem is likely to at least break even against most Pokemon, and this has kept it relevant for decades.

Golem does have some drawbacks, though. It's However, Golem is very slow and has devastating weaknesses to most common special attacks; it has to run from Blizzard, Surf, Razor Leaf, and whatnot, and being so slow means it gets forced to Explode in a one-on-one fight. Even neutral special hits, such as from Psychic, Psychics, will deal significant damage to Golem. Further, being so slow means Golem gets forced to use Explosion in many one-on-one fights. Due to these two setbacks, Golem is very reliant on enemy teams being riddled with paralysis before it gets going. This demand can be fatal if Golem isn't used well, as the opponent's Zapdos or Jolteon must be accounted for before it Explodes, lest its team crumble. Further, while Explosion can theoretically compensate for Golem's Speed, Golem can't actually use Explosion until the opponent's Zapdos or Jolteon is accounted for, lest its team crumble. Therefore, it struggles to do much besides handling Zapdos or Jolteon until they're paralyzed or KOed, after which it can be deployed more freely and actually exert offensive pressure. (I imagine I'm on the right track here? though probably not 100%. obv change for wording/voice/correctness as appropriate/desired) This can make its role seem a little paradoxical to the uninitiated and leads to some somewhat difficult decision-making mid-game.

Golem famously fell from RBY OU in 2019, ending a long-standing battle between it and Rhydon for places on competitive teams. Understanding this is important, as while many teams can use Golem adequately, they tend to be better off with Rhydon instead. This is because Rhydon has a higher Attack stat that stat, which allows it to achieve damage thresholds like 2HKOing Chansey and rarely Starmie. It's also capable of sometimes 3HKOing Slowbro, defusing a key threat if it swaps switches in on a Rest. The extra damage output against Exeggutor, their Rhydon's and Golem's biggest counter and most common switch-in when present in the opponent's team, is also a key advantage Rhydon has over Golem, since Golem; Exeggutor cannot safely switch in (removed hyphen) as much as it would like against the rocky rhino. Additionally, Rhydon is bulkier despite Golem's numerically better stats; its HP enables this, as well as having better Defense and Special thanks to its higher HP, which also enables 104 HP Substitutes to stomach a Seismic Toss or Night Shade. The ability to reliably use Substitute thanks to this quirk also means Rhydon can fish for Substitutes in situations where Golem is forced to Explode, and since Rhydon uses Substitute better, it's This quirk lets (or maybe "helps"? or some bigger change if needed) Rhydon reliably run and use Substitute in general, which also means it can fish for Substitutes in situations where Golem is forced to use Explosion, making it even harder for Golem to justify itself on teams. Regardless, Golem's strong perks over Rhydon remain recognised: recognized: possessing the second-strongest self-KO move behind Snorlax and outrunning Rhydon remain strong traits that allow it to indisputably succeed over Rhydon on highly specific teams.

[SET]
move 1: Rock Slide Earthquake
move 2: Earthquake Rock Slide (if there's a reason youd rather have rock slide first, thats fine, eg rock slide being more spammable bc no immunities and/or less resists, just the analysis should say that reason)

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

QuakeSlide coverage allows Golem to hit the entire RBY roster for at least neutral damage. Rock Slide potentially OHKOes Articuno, Moltres, and Jynx; it also 2HKOes Zapdos and sometimes Dragonite. Earthquake is Golem's strongest attack and should be used liberally when the opportunity presents itself; it can OHKO Gengar and Jolteon, as well as 2HKOes 2HKOing Alakazam and Rhydon. Rock Slide potentially OHKOes Articuno, Moltres, and Jynx; it also 2HKOes Zapdos and sometimes Dragonite. Body Slam lets Golem be more self-sufficient in the paralysis-spreading effort, (AC) and it's useful to potentially incapacitate its checks like Starmie and Exeggutor. (added period, and not, as i wrote the first time, "added golem")

What defines Golem, however, is Explosion. The dream of a Golem player is to beat out the opposing Zapdos or Jolteon late-game, then Explode use Explosion on the opponent's last healthy Pokemon. (fantastic sentence!!!) This is a difficult dream to attain, but not impossible. Golem should ideally Explode use Explosion very late into a game; usually, this is when the trade is clearly game-winning and the potential Electric-type threat has been accounted for. If Golem Explodes uses Explosion before Zapdos or Jolteon is revealed, its team may fall apart. Knowing common team structures and strategies involving these Pokemon is essential to predict if it's Explosion is safe prior to the last Pokemon being revealed. Tauros, Snorlax, and Chansey are omnipresent, so this can alleviate prediction by a chunk. Golem should ideally Explode use Explosion against Starmie, which normally threatens Golem's partners with its sublime coverage and Speed. Starmie should ideally be ever-so-slightly chipped or paralyzed before doing this, as an OHKO isn't guaranteed. If it Starmie lacks Surf, Golem can do this on its own, add the chip damage itself, as a Blizzard from Starmie maxes out at 79.3% without a critical hit. If Starmie isn't present or is already KOed, Golem can also Explode use Explosion on Chansey or Snorlax to pave the way for Tauros. Outside of this, Explosion can be a handy contingency plan in the case event Slowbro snowballs out of control.

Golem is frequently pushed out by Rhydon on teams, as its Explosion and favourable favorable matchup against its rocky brethren (singular preferred here, unless there's another rock-type im aware of? "rocky brother" could be a lil funky so i'll leave the exact wording for you to decide) are typically unnecessary. Parties where these traits are necessary typically involve the use of that require these traits typically use Pokemon like Moltres, which appreciate a better matchup against both Rhydon (if you meant "Rhydon-centric", in addition to Zapdos-centric, add hyphen here, but if you just meant "Rhydon", then you're good) and Zapdos-centric teams. Outside of this, teams that can't afford to compress the Explosion role to Self-Destruct Snorlax, or self-KO role onto Snorlax with Self-Destruct, or that wish to use an Explosion user alongside it, can also utilize Golem over Rhydon. Teams that feature many Explosion users—"Boom Offense"—will always include Golem, but these rarely see competitive success due to their extreme lack of defensive utility and the level of bulk present in RBY OU.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Customizing Golem usually involves looking at what it has over Rhydon, but engaging in this tends to be a fool's errand when looking beyond Explosion. If you must customize Golem, Body Slam is the most replaceable option, but note that this means its team will need at least one more reliable paralysis-spreading Pokemon to be effective.

Golem can run Substitute to try and be like its brother Rhydon, but at that point, it's usually better to bite the bullet and use the rock-solid rhinoceros. ("rock-solid rhinoceros" is very satisfying) The utility of having both Substitute and Explosion is typically just not enough. Fire Blast can burn Exeggutor switching in, effectively neutering ruining its Explosion, but it deals just barely more damage than Rock Slide, (AC) and Golem is usually forced out thereafter anyway. Defense Curl or Harden can let Golem consistently wall Snorlax and reapply the Speed drop from paralysis, but these perks are dubious at best in respect to what Golem wants to do.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Golem's Earthquake and threaten it with Sleep Powder or a very damaging Psychic, forcing it out and letting the player gain significant momentum. Mega Drain variants are particularly soul-crushing, almost OHKOing Golem while letting Exeggutor recover almost half its HP. Once Exeggutor is at half HP and paralyzed, however, it can no longer switch in, as Rock Slide reaches it's in Rock Slide's (if that's not to your liking, u ofc have like "as Rock Slide can 2HKO it." etc) 2HKO range.

**Super Effective Coverage**: It's hard to name a Pokemon in RBY OU that doesn't have a super effective move against Golem. Any Pokemon with Surf or Razor Leaf, such as Starmie, Venusaur, and or Victreebel, can all OHKO Golem outright. Blizzard or Ice Beam users like Starmie, Chansey, Articuno, Tauros, and Amnesia Snorlax can also deal significant-to-heavy (I imagine? obv tinker if desired but i think having a stronger word somewhere is nice here) damage to Golem. Even Rhydon's Earthquake can deal massive damage, 2HKOing Golem. Golem can usually take a single non-STAB Blizzard from full HP though, so keep this in mind in case of Golem feels (I imagine this still makes sense?) the need for a risky trade.

**Reflect Normal-types**: Reflect Snorlax doesn't care about anything Golem can throw at it, effortlessly trading blows with it. If it has Ice Beam as its fourth move of choice, the matchup becomes completely unwinnable. The best Golem can offer in the matchup is Exploding before it using Explosion before Snorlax can use Reflect, (AC) after it's Reflect has (I imagine? if not pls calrify) already been revealed previously in the game, but this should only be done in desperate situations. Reflect Chansey can perform similar feats, being just fast enough to use Reflect before Golem can Explode use Explosion by default, but it should be at least a little afraid if paralyzed without setting it up. having Reflect set up.

**Starmie**: While it's afraid of Body Slam paralysis, Starmie normally runs at least one super effective move against Golem, namely Surf or Blizzard alongside Thunderbolt or Psychic. Surf OHKOes Golem outright, (AC) while Blizzard deals up to 79.8%. Unlike Rhydon, Golem can't 2HKO Starmie without a very lucky critical hit or following up an attack with Explosion. While Golem does like to Explode use Explosion against Starmie, it the matchup remains a bad situation for it in a vacuum. (thought this made sense bc like if u boom it lategame when it's slightly chipped, thats rad for u) Golem can only outright win this matchup if Starmie has taken prior damage and paralysis, which in turn would open up offensive opportunities for other Pokémon. (imo clarify a bit whether u mean like, golem winning the matchup this way would open up offensive opportunities for other pokemon, or like, starmie being chipped and parad means other mons can exploit it anyway, so golem being able to isnt that important)

**Cloyster**: You know it's bad when Clamp deals over half a Pokemon's HP. While Cloyster greatly fears a Rock Slide from Golem, especially if paralyzed, it can use Blizzard to potentially OHKO Golem in return, or Clamp—liberally—to scout for its switch-in.

[CREDITS]

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Amaranth, 265630], [FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525], [Sceptross, 123746]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Astra, 240732], [Lumari, 232216], [Finland, 517429], [name, id]]

Finland.gif
harden golem is the best set and you CANNOT tell me otherwise
unironically though a great read, would recommend
the analysis, not harden golem
maybe
1/2

Last edited:
GP 2/2

[OVERVIEW]

Golem's Rock / Ground typing makes it a strong attacker that crucially hard counters Zapdos and Jolteon while resisting Normal-type attacks. Its QuakeSlide coverage is completely unresisted in RBY, and off its very high Attack stat, Golem can and able to 2HKO Pokemon like Rhydon, Zapdos, and Alakazam. This makes Golem excellent at bullying paralyzed Pokemon, but what tops this all off is Explosion. Golem's Explosion, while just shy of Snorlax's Self-Destruct's strength, is terrifyingly strong, even having a chance to OHKO Starmie. Thanks to Explosion, Explosion Golem is likely to at least break even (at worst) against most Pokemon, and this has kept it relevant for decades.

However, Golem is very slow and has devastating weaknesses to most common special attacks; it has to run from Blizzard, Surf, Razor Leaf, and whatnot. Even neutral special hits, such as Psychics, attacks such as Psychic will deal significant damage to Golem. Further, being so slow means Golem gets forced to use Explosion in many one-on-one fights. Due to these two setbacks, Golem is very reliant on enemy teams being riddled with paralysis before it gets going. Plus, while Explosion can theoretically compensate for Golem's Speed and let it break even frequently, Golem generally shouldn't use Explosion until the opponent's Zapdos or Jolteon is accounted for, lest its team crumble to them. Therefore, decision-making with Explosion is difficult until Zapdos or Jolteon are is paralyzed or KOed, after which it can be deployed more freely and actually exert offensive pressure. This can make its role seem a little paradoxical to the uninitiated.

Golem famously fell from RBY OU in 2019, ending a long-standing battle between it and Rhydon for places on competitive teams. Understanding this is important, as while many teams can use Golem adequately, they tend to be better off with Rhydon instead. This is because Rhydon has a higher Attack stat, which allows it to achieve damage thresholds like 2HKOing Chansey and rarely 2HKOing Starmie. It's also capable of sometimes 3HKOing Slowbro, defusing a key threat if it switches in on a Rest. The extra damage output against Exeggutor, Rhydon's and Golem's biggest counter and most common switch-in when present, is also a key advantage Rhydon has over Golem; Exeggutor cannot safely switch in as much as it would like against the rocky rhino. Additionally, Rhydon is bulkier despite Golem's better Defense and Special thanks to its higher HP, which also enables 104 HP Substitutes to stomach a Seismic Toss or Night Shade. This quirk helps Rhydon reliably run and use Substitute in general,; (semi) which also means it can fish for Substitute in situations where Golem is forced to use Explosion, making it even harder for Golem to justify itself on teams. Regardless, Golem's strong perks over Rhydon remain recognized: possessing the second-strongest self-KO move and outrunning Rhydon allow it to indisputably succeed over Rhydon on highly specific teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

QuakeSlide coverage allows Golem to hit the entire RBY roster for at least neutral damage. Rock Slide potentially OHKOes Articuno, Moltres, and Jynx; it also 2HKOes Zapdos and sometimes Dragonite. Earthquake is Golem's strongest attack without drawbacks and should be used liberally; it can OHKO Gengar and Jolteon, as well as 2HKOing and 2HKO Alakazam and Rhydon. Body Slam lets Golem be more self-sufficient in the paralysis-spreading effort, and it's useful to potentially incapacitate its checks like Starmie and Exeggutor.

What defines Golem, however, is Explosion. The dream of a Golem player is to beat out the opposing Zapdos or Jolteon late-game, then use Explosion on the opponent's last healthy Pokemon. This is a difficult dream to attain, but not impossible. Golem should ideally use Explosion very late into a game; usually, this is when the trade is clearly game-winning and the potential Electric-type threat has been accounted for. If Golem uses Explosion before Zapdos or Jolteon is revealed, its team may fall apart. Knowing common team structures and strategies involving these Pokemon is essential to predict if Explosion is safe prior to the last Pokemon being revealed. Tauros, Snorlax, and Chansey are omnipresent, so this can alleviate prediction by a chunk. Golem should ideally use Explosion against Starmie, which normally threatens Golem's partners with its sublime coverage and Speed. Starmie should ideally be ever-so-slightly chipped or paralyzed before doing this, as an OHKO isn't guaranteed. If Starmie lacks Surf, Golem can add the chip damage itself, as a Blizzard from Starmie maxes out at 79.3% Blizzard deals 79.3% at most without a critical hit. If Starmie isn't present or is already KOed, Golem can also use Explosion on Chansey or Snorlax to pave the way for Tauros. Outside of this, Explosion can be a handy contingency plan in the event Slowbro snowballs out of control.

Golem is frequently pushed out by Rhydon on teams, as its Explosion and favorable matchup against its rocky friend are typically unnecessary. Parties that require these traits typically use Pokemon like Moltres, which appreciate a better matchup against both Rhydon- and Zapdos-centric teams. (teams centric to one or the other, or specifically both?) Outside of this, Teams that can't afford to compress the self-KO role onto Snorlax with Self-Destruct, or that wish to use an Explosion user alongside it, can also utilize Golem over Rhydon. Teams that feature many Explosion users—"Boom Offense"—will always include Golem, but these rarely see competitive success due to their extreme lack of defensive utility and the level of bulk present in RBY OU.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Customizing Golem usually involves looking at what it has over Rhydon, but engaging in this tends to be a fool's errand when looking beyond Explosion. If you must customize Golem, Body Slam is the most replaceable option, but note that this means its team will need at least one more reliable paralysis-spreading Pokemon to be effective.

Golem can run Substitute to try and be like its brother Rhydon, but at that point, it's usually better to bite the bullet and use the rock-solid rhinoceros stony superior (not different enough from rocky rhino in overview). The utility of having both Substitute and Explosion is typically just not enough. Fire Blast can burn Exeggutor switching in, effectively ruining its Explosion, but it deals just barely more damage than Rock Slide, and Golem is usually forced out thereafter anyway. Defense Curl or Harden can let Golem consistently wall Snorlax and reapply the Speed drop from paralysis, but these perks are dubious at best in respect to what Golem wants to do.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Golem's Earthquake and threaten it with Sleep Powder or a very damaging Psychic, forcing it out and letting the player gain granting Exeggutor's team significant momentum. Mega Drain variants are particularly soul-crushing, almost OHKOing Golem while letting Exeggutor recover almost half its HP. Once Exeggutor is at half HP and paralyzed, however, it can no longer switch in, as it's in Rock Slide's 2HKO range and cannot switch in.

**Super Effective Coverage**: It's hard to name a Pokemon in RBY OU that doesn't have a super effective move against Golem. Any Pokemon with Surf or Razor Leaf, such as Starmie, Venusaur, or Victreebel, can OHKO Golem outright. Blizzard or Ice Beam users like Starmie, Chansey, Articuno, Tauros, and Amnesia Snorlax can also deal significant-to-heavy damage to Golem. Even Rhydon's Earthquake can deal massive damage, 2HKOing Golem 2HKOes. Golem can usually take a single non-STAB Blizzard from full HP though, so keep this in mind in case the Golem player feels the need for a risky trade for when a risky trade is necessary.

**Reflect Normal-types**: Reflect Snorlax doesn't care about anything Golem can throw at it, effortlessly trading blows with it. If it has Ice Beam as its fourth move of choice, the matchup becomes completely unwinnable. The best Golem can offer in the matchup is using Explosion before Snorlax can use Reflect, after Reflect has already been revealed previously in the game, but this should only be done in desperate situations. Reflect Chansey can perform similar feats, being just fast enough to use Reflect before Golem can use Explosion by default, but it should be at least a little afraid if paralyzed and without having Reflect set up.

**Starmie**: While it's afraid of Body Slam paralysis, Starmie normally runs at least one super effective move against Golem, namely Surf or Blizzard. Surf OHKOes Golem outright, while Blizzard deals up to 79.8%. Unlike Rhydon, Golem can't 2HKO Starmie without a very lucky critical hit or following up an attack with Explosion. While Golem does like to use Explosion against Starmie, the matchup remains a bad situation for it in a vacuum. Golem can only outright win this matchup if Starmie has taken prior damage and paralysis, which in turn would opens up offensive endgame opportunities for other Pokemon, such as making an Alakazam or Tauros end-game far more likely such as Alakazam and Tauros. (why does that matter?)

**Cloyster**: You know it's bad when Clamp deals over half a Pokemon's HP. While Cloyster greatly fears a Rock Slide from Golem, especially if paralyzed, it can use Blizzard to potentially OHKO Golem in return, or Clamp—liberally—to scout for its switch-in.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Astra, 240732], [Lumari, 232216], [Finland, 517429], [name, id]]

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
GP 2/2

[OVERVIEW]

Golem's Rock / Ground typing makes it a strong attacker that crucially hard counters Zapdos and Jolteon while resisting Normal-type attacks. Its QuakeSlide coverage is completely unresisted in RBY, and off its very high Attack stat, Golem can and able to 2HKO Pokemon like Rhydon, Zapdos, and Alakazam. This makes Golem excellent at bullying paralyzed Pokemon, but what tops this all off is Explosion. Golem's Explosion, while just shy of Snorlax's Self-Destruct's strength, is terrifyingly strong, even having a chance to OHKO Starmie. Thanks to Explosion, Explosion Golem is likely to at least break even (at worst) against most Pokemon, and this has kept it relevant for decades.

However, Golem is very slow and has devastating weaknesses to most common special attacks; it has to run from Blizzard, Surf, Razor Leaf, and whatnot. Even neutral special hits, such as Psychics, attacks such as Psychic will deal significant damage to Golem. Further, being so slow means Golem gets forced to use Explosion in many one-on-one fights. Due to these two setbacks, Golem is very reliant on enemy teams being riddled with paralysis before it gets going. Plus, while Explosion can theoretically compensate for Golem's Speed and let it break even frequently, Golem generally shouldn't use Explosion until the opponent's Zapdos or Jolteon is accounted for, lest its team crumble to them. Therefore, decision-making with Explosion is difficult until Zapdos or Jolteon are is paralyzed or KOed, after which it can be deployed more freely and actually exert offensive pressure. This can make its role seem a little paradoxical to the uninitiated.

Golem famously fell from RBY OU in 2019, ending a long-standing battle between it and Rhydon for places on competitive teams. Understanding this is important, as while many teams can use Golem adequately, they tend to be better off with Rhydon instead. This is because Rhydon has a higher Attack stat, which allows it to achieve damage thresholds like 2HKOing Chansey and rarely 2HKOing Starmie. It's also capable of sometimes 3HKOing Slowbro, defusing a key threat if it switches in on a Rest. The extra damage output against Exeggutor, Rhydon's and Golem's biggest counter and most common switch-in when present, is also a key advantage Rhydon has over Golem; Exeggutor cannot safely switch in as much as it would like against the rocky rhino. Additionally, Rhydon is bulkier despite Golem's better Defense and Special thanks to its higher HP, which also enables 104 HP Substitutes to stomach a Seismic Toss or Night Shade. This quirk helps Rhydon reliably run and use Substitute in general,; (semi) which also means it can fish for Substitute in situations where Golem is forced to use Explosion, making it even harder for Golem to justify itself on teams. Regardless, Golem's strong perks over Rhydon remain recognized: possessing the second-strongest self-KO move and outrunning Rhydon allow it to indisputably succeed over Rhydon on highly specific teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

QuakeSlide coverage allows Golem to hit the entire RBY roster for at least neutral damage. Rock Slide potentially OHKOes Articuno, Moltres, and Jynx; it also 2HKOes Zapdos and sometimes Dragonite. Earthquake is Golem's strongest attack without drawbacks and should be used liberally; it can OHKO Gengar and Jolteon, as well as 2HKOing and 2HKO Alakazam and Rhydon. Body Slam lets Golem be more self-sufficient in the paralysis-spreading effort, and it's useful to potentially incapacitate its checks like Starmie and Exeggutor.

What defines Golem, however, is Explosion. The dream of a Golem player is to beat out the opposing Zapdos or Jolteon late-game, then use Explosion on the opponent's last healthy Pokemon. This is a difficult dream to attain, but not impossible. Golem should ideally use Explosion very late into a game; usually, this is when the trade is clearly game-winning and the potential Electric-type threat has been accounted for. If Golem uses Explosion before Zapdos or Jolteon is revealed, its team may fall apart. Knowing common team structures and strategies involving these Pokemon is essential to predict if Explosion is safe prior to the last Pokemon being revealed. Tauros, Snorlax, and Chansey are omnipresent, so this can alleviate prediction by a chunk. Golem should ideally use Explosion against Starmie, which normally threatens Golem's partners with its sublime coverage and Speed. Starmie should ideally be ever-so-slightly chipped or paralyzed before doing this, as an OHKO isn't guaranteed. If Starmie lacks Surf, Golem can add the chip damage itself, as a Blizzard from Starmie maxes out at 79.3% Blizzard deals 79.3% at most without a critical hit. If Starmie isn't present or is already KOed, Golem can also use Explosion on Chansey or Snorlax to pave the way for Tauros. Outside of this, Explosion can be a handy contingency plan in the event Slowbro snowballs out of control.

Golem is frequently pushed out by Rhydon on teams, as its Explosion and favorable matchup against its rocky friend are typically unnecessary. Parties that require these traits typically use Pokemon like Moltres, which appreciate a better matchup against both Rhydon- and Zapdos-centric teams. (teams centric to one or the other, or specifically both?) Outside of this, Teams that can't afford to compress the self-KO role onto Snorlax with Self-Destruct, or that wish to use an Explosion user alongside it, can also utilize Golem over Rhydon. Teams that feature many Explosion users—"Boom Offense"—will always include Golem, but these rarely see competitive success due to their extreme lack of defensive utility and the level of bulk present in RBY OU.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Golem can run Substitute to try and be like its brother Rhydon, but at that point, it's usually better to bite the bullet and use the rock-solid rhinoceros stony superior (not different enough from rocky rhino in overview). The utility of having both Substitute and Explosion is typically just not enough. Fire Blast can burn Exeggutor switching in, effectively ruining its Explosion, but it deals just barely more damage than Rock Slide, and Golem is usually forced out thereafter anyway. Defense Curl or Harden can let Golem consistently wall Snorlax and reapply the Speed drop from paralysis, but these perks are dubious at best in respect to what Golem wants to do.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Golem's Earthquake and threaten it with Sleep Powder or a very damaging Psychic, forcing it out and letting the player gain granting Exeggutor's team significant momentum. Mega Drain variants are particularly soul-crushing, almost OHKOing Golem while letting Exeggutor recover almost half its HP. Once Exeggutor is at half HP and paralyzed, however, it can no longer switch in, as it's in Rock Slide's 2HKO range and cannot switch in.

**Super Effective Coverage**: It's hard to name a Pokemon in RBY OU that doesn't have a super effective move against Golem. Any Pokemon with Surf or Razor Leaf, such as Starmie, Venusaur, or Victreebel, can OHKO Golem outright. Blizzard or Ice Beam users like Starmie, Chansey, Articuno, Tauros, and Amnesia Snorlax can also deal significant-to-heavy damage to Golem. Even Rhydon's Earthquake can deal massive damage, 2HKOing Golem 2HKOes. Golem can usually take a single non-STAB Blizzard from full HP though, so keep this in mind in case the Golem player feels the need for a risky trade for when a risky trade is necessary.

**Reflect Normal-types**: Reflect Snorlax doesn't care about anything Golem can throw at it, effortlessly trading blows with it. If it has Ice Beam as its fourth move of choice, the matchup becomes completely unwinnable. The best Golem can offer in the matchup is using Explosion before Snorlax can use Reflect, after Reflect has already been revealed previously in the game, but this should only be done in desperate situations. Reflect Chansey can perform similar feats, being just fast enough to use Reflect before Golem can use Explosion by default, but it should be at least a little afraid if paralyzed and without having Reflect set up.

**Starmie**: While it's afraid of Body Slam paralysis, Starmie normally runs at least one super effective move against Golem, namely Surf or Blizzard. Surf OHKOes Golem outright, while Blizzard deals up to 79.8%. Unlike Rhydon, Golem can't 2HKO Starmie without a very lucky critical hit or following up an attack with Explosion. While Golem does like to use Explosion against Starmie, the matchup remains a bad situation for it in a vacuum. Golem can only outright win this matchup if Starmie has taken prior damage and paralysis, which in turn would opens up offensive endgame opportunities for other Pokemon, such as making an Alakazam or Tauros end-game far more likely such as Alakazam and Tauros. (why does that matter?)

[CREDITS]
Took the liberty of implementing and uploading since the original poster is inactive but this was pretty much done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)