Rejected Making it obvious which format a tournament is to be played in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once a tournament has been created, room drivers (and higher) have the ability to edit the tournament name. I can understand that, in some cases, the ability to edit the tournament name would be passable, such as:
(1) To add details otherwise not possible (Example: C&E, Chessmon, Foodmon)
(2) To add some fun (Example: Metronome Monday Gen 8 Metronome Battle)

However, I note with concern instances where tournament names are being manipulated in unacceptable ways. They are renamed in such a way to either:
(1) Cast doubt about their nature (Example: I saw a tour being named Maybe Gen 7), or
(2) Be blatantly misleading and/or incorrect (Example: I saw a Gen 7 OU tour being renamed Gen 6 OU)

Result: This manipulated name carries on throughout the duration of the tournament.

I consider this practice immoral and completely unnecessary, specially towards:
(1) New players who trust what is being placed before their eyes (but are left lied to)
(2) Players who join a tournament for a specific format they like (only to realise that this was not the format they were thinking)
(3) Players who join a tournament late, thinking they made it just in time (only to realise they have no team for the format which was advertised)

I am appealing for:
(1) Room staff to be made to understand that they should stop this abusive practice
(2) Removal of the ability to manipulate tournament names (or at least granting this power to the very highest auths only)

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
While this is far from an "abusive practice", it's fairly bad form for whoever makes a tour that isn't just a standard format not to put an announcement in the chat about the ruleset of the tour. Announcements have large text and a blue background, so they're hard to miss. If whatever room you're talking about didn't do an announcement with the rules that room regulars would already know, they should probably be told that they should do an announcement. I've never seen a room not do that where it was necessary though tbh.

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
i somewhat agree with the sentiments here, but there are ways to handle this while also allowing creative and funny tournament names. for example:
  • if the tournament name is changed, the base format should be displayed somewhere near the title, such as directly below
  • /tour viewrules should show the base format, perhaps even giving a link/button that shows the base ruleset for that format (similar to what /formatshelp would output)
also i appreciate the shoutout to metronome monday :pimp:

Kennedy

up the reds
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Calling this "immoral" or an "abusive practice" is incredibly silly and makes this out to be a much bigger issue than it is. We're never going to punish people for having fun names for their tournaments, especially considering room tournaments are almost always of no significance whatsoever.

I'm sure if any user was doing this for a tournament that had any real significance, you could bring it up with a Room Owner in the room, so they could ensure it doesn't continue to happen.

I'm flat out rejecting the idea of restricting renaming tournaments to higher auth than it's currently set at, the focus of this thread and any subsequent suggestions should be on how to make it obvious what format the tournament is actually to be played in.

Once a tournament has been created, room drivers (and higher) have the ability to edit the tournament name. I can understand that, in some cases, the ability to edit the tournament name would be passable, such as:
(1) To add details otherwise not possible (Example: C&E, Chessmon, Foodmon)
(2) To add some fun (Example: Metronome Monday Gen 8 Metronome Battle)

However, I note with concern instances where tournament names are being manipulated in unacceptable ways. They are renamed in such a way to either:
(1) Cast doubt about their nature (Example: I saw a tour being named Maybe Gen 7), or
(2) Be blatantly misleading and/or incorrect (Example: I saw a Gen 7 OU tour being renamed Gen 6 OU)

Result: This manipulated name carries on throughout the duration of the tournament.

I consider this practice immoral and completely unnecessary, specially towards:
(1) New players who trust what is being placed before their eyes (but are left lied to)
(2) Players who join a tournament for a specific format they like (only to realise that this was not the format they were thinking)
(3) Players who join a tournament late, thinking they made it just in time (only to realise they have no team for the format which was advertised)

I am appealing for:
(1) Room staff to be made to understand that they should stop this abusive practice
(2) Removal of the ability to manipulate tournament names (or at least granting this power to the very highest auths only)
Always the tour name appears when the tour is created ._. u have to check that, also u can do "/tour viewrules" to check how is the tour (anyways if u haven't realised they are joking with these rules and u're falling to it lol)

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
This was discussed a bit more and I'm going to be rejecting this. It's fixing a problem that doesn't exist and hurts no one, which is ultimately a waste of dev time for no benefit (in fact, it's harmful - clogs displays more, etc).
Closing, have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)