Long term independent game development journey

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
In the past year, I've been making an effort to gain skill to make my own independent video game.

I've been listening to lectures from other game designers, keeping in touch with online friends that are in game dev and been documenting and writing down ideas for awhile. In the meantime, I've been learning to code as well as model, animate and rig in 3D. I still have alot to learn in all those fields, but I'm proud of the progress I'm making no matter how small.

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
probably won't be as good as yo-kai watch
No arguments there. That's an astronomically high level of quality I can only pray to reach. Nice to see so many agree with that.

no screenshots? no teasers? no optimistic misrepresentations of the final product based on early beta footage?

disappointing to say the least
Yeah, I'm keeping most of what I'm making confidential until I'm sure in showing anything. It's mostly just sketches, notes, flimsy code and a draft story right now. Gotta start somewhere.

how many cute anime girls are in your game? please respond soon
Currently at about 25.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
I'm legitimately excited to see this game, keep us posted.
Thanks very much.

As things stand, I am aiming towards it being a monster collector. My goal is a minimum of 150 monsters that are all completely unique in battle with a 3v3 system on a 3x3 grid with high fidelity animation for each of them and voice acting.

The concept sounds simple but as I've made progress, it becomes alot more clear to me how much effort something like this takes especially with someone like me.

It takes me ages to brainstorm a character I really enjoy or like well enough. I don't like pumping out OCs that I don't end up using like certain artists do. Having to do that hundreds of times over alone is one if the hard parts.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
While learning to code in Python, I've been able to make extremely primitive versions of arcade games such as Pong, Snake and Frogger.

It seems Python has a special module called Turtle, which is super handy for making super simple games.

I've been able to fine tune these primitive versions with small tweaks here and there to make them function better visually such as editing the distance of when the ball in Pong bounces off the paddles so that it actually looks like it's touching the paddle and bouncing off instead of passing halfway through the paddle before bouncing. Stuff like that will make for good game design practice.

It's especially useful because I want to be able to add minigames to my monster collector in the vein of PokeAthlon such as races, hurdles, brick breaking and discus.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
does your game have pettable wild dogs and cats? this is more important than the anime girl q (but 25 is a decent start)

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
does your game have pettable wild dogs and cats? this is more important than the anime girl q (but 25 is a decent start)
I do have a few wolf, tiger, house cat and bulldog monsters lined up. Haven't really considered a petting feature as that just seems like a useless flavor feature for a meme. Can't say I'd be against the idea of adding it tho.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I do have a few wolf, tiger, house cat and bulldog monsters lined up. Haven't really considered a petting feature as that just seems like a useless flavor feature for a meme. Can't say I'd be against the idea of adding it tho.
"useless flavor" ??? sigh, i'm afraid i will have to pass on this game once launched :pikuh:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
is there an oden store in the game this is highly important
I do have monsters set up to be a shopkeeper and a wandering monster in a similar vein to Master Oden, if that's what you mean.

Equal representation is important. If you can pet the dogs, you should also be able to pet the spiders, strange metallic orbs, and eldritch abominations.
Assuming I went through with it, that could be done.

"useless flavor" ???
Yes.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
on the topic of shopkeepers, I played Resident Evil 4 once so I'm an expert on these kinds of things

here is my voice acting submission, please include me in the game

I do have a few voice actors with good resumes and portfolios I keep a list on of whom I think would make a great fit for certain characters. That's an extreme eventuality but it doesn't hurt to get an idea of the cast I'd like. This one actually wouldn't be too bad to use for a particular character. I can add you to the list.

Short voice acted clips like this for every monster is another goal I want to work towards in a similar vein to Yo-Kai Watch.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
How did you feel about 3D rigging? It's the one thing that scares me in 3D modelling, OH THE HORROR STORIES!
One chapter of my Blender class involved making a simple lamp model and then rigging a skeleton to it from scratch. I had to redo the skeleton several times because of extremely small mistakes I made. Definitely not the most pleasant process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)