Resource SS OU DLC2 Viability Ranking Thread [SEE: Page 105, Post 2618]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about Heatran S+, but most of your points are things that have been true about Heatran for 15 years, and are assumed to have been taken into consideration already anytime the mon is being discussed.

Here are some calcs for Heatran damage onto these mons:
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Landorus-Therian: 150-177 (39.2 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 93-110 (26 - 30.8%) -- 17.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage
These calcs show nice chunky chip, especially when you factor in the trapping damage.

Super-effective coverage is also very prevalent, as seen on Buzzwole (Close Combat), Melmetal (Superpower, or in more niche cases, Earthquake), Kartana (Sacred Sword), and ironically enough, Weavile (Low Kick on Banded sets), probably the biggest appeal to using Heatran right now.
Calcs for these cases:
This is probly the most relevant argument against a Heatran rise.

I do think that heatran should rise to S as the points discussed, whether they have already been considered or not, are still important. I also think, similar to Landy-t, that if a team doesn’t have heatran, then it needs to have a great excuse as to why, which I think puts it on par with landorus-t for ranking. However, the meta has obviously adapted to it and is keeping it in check so I do think S+ is a bit drastic.

Is your standard for deeming a Pokemon S needing an excuse not to include it in one's team? I thought that was the S+ rank, as per the Primal Groudon days in ORAS Ubers. So far, Lando-T is not S+ (and I don't think it should), so I don't think having to ponder "why am I not picking Heatran in this team?" should be the reason why it should raise to S.

Imo, a Pokemon is S+ if it must be on a team for a team to be viable, like rby tauros. Since heatran doesn’t have to be on a team, it isn’t worthy of S+ imo
This is not a fair benchmark in my opinion. The variety in terms of viable pokemon has exploded since the early gens and when something becomes that good it goes to ubers.
For me S+ means that the pokemon is as good as it gets in terms of fulfilling its standard roles and has the option of doing several other roles very well too. Lando fits that description and I'd argue that Heatran does too, moreso than any of the other pokemon in the non-uber tiers.

I think Clef should be put in S tier with Melmetal and Weavile (with S- being removed). All the arguments regarding its set diversity still apply, but LO sets are stupidly hard to keep in check in the current metagame.
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 232 HP / 200 Def / 16 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder / Wish
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Outspeeds Corvi, eats a Chomp +2 EQ, 2HKOs and outspeeds non AV Melmetal. Stab LO Modest Moonblast off 95 sAtk really adds up.

Urshifu was fine in A-tier imo. Future Sight strats have slowly become less effective and the Taunt set is a bit of a gimmick, it has u-turn after all. Many pokemon can fulfil the roles it tends to serve and with how easy it is to wall once you know the set, it doesn't seem S- worthy to me.

The rest of S-/S/S+ seems like a fair representation of the dominant picks.

CB Tyranitar fucks with waaaay too many teams to not be considered A tier. The sand pairs well with toxic-heavy teams and it serves its role as a high Sdef powerhouse in a bulky offense/balance insanely well.

I give up on this guy. It really can't climb higher than B+ with Lando at S+. I rate the Bulk Up Play Rough sets for taking care of Garchomp/Pult at the same time but without massive prior effort a well-played Lando tells you to fuck off all day long.

SD/Protect sets compress roles well and even when it doesn't sweep it'll put a massive dent in something unless it's completely misused. B+ seems like a fair placement, although I think one could make a decent argument for placing it in A-.

Last edited:
This is not a fair benchmark in my opinion. The variety in terms of viable pokemon has exploded since the early gens and when something becomes that good it goes to ubers.
For me S+ means that the pokemon is as good as it gets in terms of fulfilling its standard roles and has the option of doing several other roles very well too. Lando fits that description and I'd argue that Heatran does too, moreso than any of the other pokemon in the non-uber tiers.

I think Clef should be put in S tier. All the arguments regarding its set diversity still apply, but LO sets are stupidly hard to keep in check in the current metagame.
clefford (Clefable) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 232 HP / 200 Def / 16 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder / Wish
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Outspeeds Corvi, eats a Chomp +2 EQ, 2HKOs and outspeeds non AV Melmetal. Stab LO Modest Moonblast off 95 sAtk really adds up.

Urshifu was fine in A-tier imo. Future Sight strats have slowly become less effective and the Taunt set is a bit of a gimmick, it has u-turn after all. Many pokemon can fulfil the roles it tends to serve and with how easy it is to wall once you know the set, it doesn't seem S- worthy to me.

The rest of S-/S/S+ seems like a fair representation of the dominant picks.

CB Tyranitar fucks with waaaay too many teams to not be considered A tier and honestly I could see it slipping in S- tier viability at some point in the future. The sand pairs well with toxic-heavy teams and it serves its role as a high Sdef powerhouse in a bulky offense/balance insanely well.

I give up on this guy. It really can't climb higher than B+ with Lando at S+. I rate the Bulk Up Play Rough sets for taking care of Garchomp/Pult at the same time but without massive prior effort a well-played Lando tells you to fuck off all day.

SD/Protect sets compress roles well and even when it doesn't sweep it'll put a massive dent in something unless it's completely misused. Can't see it going higher than B+ any time soon but it's def worth that title for now.
:clefable: A+ -> S-
Landorus is very unique in its ranking, and its qualities are the sole reason I see nothing else touching the S tier during generation eight. Clefable has a lot of benefits, including its variety and staying power which allow it to fit multiple roles on bulky offensive and balance teams alike. However, it doesn't match Landorus in terms of consistency and splashability, so I think S rank is a bit of a stretch. But I do think that S- is a very appropriate rank for Clefable, and its recent usage reflects that.

:Urshifu: A+ -> A+
I have to disagree with this one. Although the slowtwins have fallen somewhat out of favor for other bulky water-types, Urshifu has remained a relevant offensive mainstay in the metagame. Urshifu's Taunt Protective Pads set is certainly not a gimmick, and has seen repeated competitive use alongside partners like Choice Scarf Future Sight Tapu Lele to help it break down physically defensive targets like Toxapex and avoid contact effects which can otherwise limit its offensive potential. The offensive presence and continued momentum Urshifu offers on many teams makes it more than appropriate for A+ in my eyes.

:tyranitar: A- -> A-
I somewhat agree with this one. Tyranitar's success on bulky offense, balance, and sand teams alike is due in part because of its Choice Band set which generates a lot of offensive pressure and facilitates partners like Excadrill and the occasional Dracozolt. Tyranitar's defensive sets also threaten most defoggers and apply Stealth Rock while also compressing a ghost-type resistance, which greatly frees building constraints for some teams. Its Sand Stream ability allows it to check weather archetypes like Hyper Offense, Rain, Hail, and Sun, which is invaluable at the moment. However, it can be difficult to fit because of how support specific it is, which makes it less splashable. Overall I can definitely understand why it might have some justifiable qualities, but it still feels short of A.

:Zeraora: A- -> B+
This one I agree with. Zeraora feels very underwhelming at the moment, with the ubiquity of ground-types like Landorus, Garchomp and Hippowdon, resistances like Buzzwole and Tapu Koko, and the general abundance of fast revenge killers and contact effects, Zeraora can't catch a break. Zeraora's Bulk Up set is the most reliable, where its pivot and Choice Band sets are more inconsistent and prediction reliant. In its current state B+ feels more appropriate for Zeraora.

:blaziken: B- -> B+
Another one I agree with. Blaziken is a very threatening sweeper that can be hard to account for in the builder because of its overwhelming nature and choice variety which brutalizes its checks. The recent rise Dragonite, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Volcanion, Rillaboom and Ninetales-A, and the trend of Taunt Protective Pads Urshifu, have both indirectly benefited Blaziken heavily by restricting archetype specific checks. Blaziken is certainly worthy of B+ at the moment.

:conkeldurr: C -> C-
Mach Punch go brrr. When ghost-type or resistance, Mach Punch no go brrr. Conkeldurr checks popular, Conkeldurr hard to build with, Conkeldurr easily overwhelmed. Conkeldurr go C-.

Last edited:
:clefable: A+ -> S-
Landorus is very unique in its ranking, and its qualities are the sole reason I see nothing else touching the S tier during generation eight. Clefable has a lot of benefits, including its variety and staying power which allow it to fit multiple roles on bulky offensive and balance teams alike. However, it doesn't match Landorus in terms of consistency and splashability, so I think S rank is a bit of a stretch. But I do think that S- is a very appropriate rank for Clefable, and its recent usage reflects that.

:Urshifu: A+ -> A+
I have to disagree with this one. Although the slowtwins have fallen somewhat out of favor for other bulky water-types, Urshifu has remained a relevant offensive mainstay in the metagame. Urshifu's Taunt Protective Pads set is certainly not a gimmick, and has seen repeated competitive use alongside partners like Choice Scarf Future Sight Tapu Lele to help it break down physically defensive targets like Toxapex and avoid contact effects which can otherwise limit its offensive potential. The offensive presence and continued momentum Urshifu offers on many teams makes it more than appropriate for A+ in my eyes.

:tyranitar: A- -> A-
I somewhat agree with this one. Tyranitar's success on bulky offense, balance, and sand teams alike is due in part because of its Choice Band set which generates a lot of offensive pressure and facilitates partners like Excadrill and the occasional Dracozolt. Tyranitar's defensive sets also threaten most defoggers and apply Stealth Rock while also compressing a ghost-type resistance, which greatly frees building constraints for some teams. Its Sand Stream ability allows it to check weather archetypes like Hyper Offense, Rain, Hail, and Sun, which is invaluable at the moment. However, it can be difficult to fit because of how support specific it is, which makes it less splashable. Overall I can definitely understand why it might have some justifiable qualities, but it still feels short of A.

:Zeraora: A- -> B+
This one I agree with. Zeraora feels very underwhelming at the moment, with the ubiquity of ground-types like Landorus, Garchomp and Hippowdon, resistances like Buzzwole and Tapu Koko, and the general abundance of fast revenge killers and contact effects, Zeraora can't catch a break. Zeraora's Bulk Up set is the most reliable, where its pivot and Choice Band sets are more inconsistent and prediction reliant. In its current state B+ feels more appropriate for Zeraora.

:blaziken: B- -> B+
Another one I agree with. Blaziken is a very threatening sweeper that can be hard to account for in the builder because of its overwhelming nature and choice variety which brutalizes its checks. The recent rise Dragonite, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Volcanion, Rillaboom and Ninetales-A, and the trend of Taunt Protective Pads Urshifu, have both indirectly benefited Blaziken heavily by restricting archetype specific checks. Blaziken is certainly worthy of B+ at the moment.

:conkeldurr: C -> C-
Mach Punch go brrr. When ghost-type or resistance, Mach Punch no go brrr. Conkeldurr checks popular, Conkeldurr hard to build with, Conkeldurr easily overwhelmed. Conkeldurr go C-.
All very good points. I'd like to point out that but that first point I meant that Lando (imo #1) and Heatran (#2) could both be considered S+, as they're about as perfect as you can get for filling holes in your team while maintaining massive threat. Massive bulk, unique typings, fantastic abilities, 600 BST.. the list goes on. They're so good it's a waste to build your team around them, chances are one or both go in anyway as you reach the 5th or last slot.

Weavile (#3), Melmetal (#4) and Clef (#5) have fantastic utility combined with power in a variety of sets. They require slightly more care in teambuilder and in-battle but are still incredibly splash-able and have unique strengths. I think this should qualify as S rank and I feel 5 is more than enough to place in the top echelon of the tier (I think S- should be skipped).

A+ rank pokemon have crazy power and/or utility but tend to slack a bit more in one of defensive prowess, unique traits, or set variety.
For me at least, Taunt on Urshi doesn't let it tick those last boxes. There are plenty options when it comes to taunt, but no other pokemon can break through Protect, Subs and +def Stat boosts like him. Taunt doesn't accentuate those strengths for me, having tested it a fair amount.
He doesn't get many switch-ins unless you're ultra careful. Crit Stone Edge from CB Ttar? Anything lower than 78% and it dies on the spot or next turn, not to mention setup/tbolt/cb+fpunch sets. Emergency Weavile switch-in against offence? 1 crit amongst the 12-strike CB BU pummeling you straight up die, no rocks or needing to bet on a 53% 6xTA hit roll.
The metagame shifts have been kind to the Bear but A+ is crazy high and he doesn't have that meta-defining x-factor to me, at least compared to other pokemon in A+. I mainly feel he has little right to be jump higher than the A tier mons.

I agree on the Conk, having him on the same level as Torkoal+Venu doesn't look right.

The murder crab should be at least B rank. It does exactly what it's supposed to do as long as Crabhammer hits. Seriously, that 90% accuracy and needing to cover for its speed tier are the only things keeping me from slapping it on all my teams.

Last edited:
All very good points. I'd like to point out that but that first point I meant that Lando (imo #1) and Heatran (#2) could both be considered S+, as they're about as perfect as you can get for filling holes in your team while maintaining massive threat. Massive bulk, unique typings, fantastic abilities, 600 BST.. the list goes on. They're so good it's a waste to build your team around them, chances are one or both go in anyway as you reach the 5th or last slot.

Weavile (#3), Melmetal (#4) and Clef (#5) have fantastic utility combined with power in a variety of sets. They require slightly more care in teambuilder and in-battle but are still incredibly splash-able and have unique strengths. I think this should qualify as S rank and I feel 5 is more than enough to place in the top echelon of the tier (I think S- should be skipped).

A+ rank pokemon have crazy power and/or utility but tend to slack a bit more in one of defensive prowess, unique traits, or set variety.
For me at least, Taunt on Urshi doesn't let it tick those last boxes. There are plenty options when it comes to taunt, but no other pokemon can break through Protect, Subs and +def Stat boosts like him. Taunt doesn't accentuate those strengths for me, having tested it a fair amount.
He doesn't get many switch-ins unless you're ultra careful. Crit Stone Edge from CB Ttar? Anything lower than 78% and it dies on the spot or next turn, not to mention setup/tbolt/cb+fpunch sets. Emergency Weavile switch-in against offence? 1 crit amongst the 12-strike CB BU pummeling you straight up die, no rocks or needing to bet on a 53% 6xTA hit roll.
The metagame shifts have been kind to the Bear but A+ is crazy high and he doesn't have that meta-defining x-factor to me, at least compared to other pokemon in A+. I mainly feel he has little right to be jump higher than the A tier mons.

I agree on the Conk, having him on the same level as Torkoal+Venu doesn't look right.

The murder crab should be at least B rank. It does exactly what it's supposed to do as long as Crabhammer hits. Seriously, that 90% accuracy and needing to cover for its speed tier are the only things keeping me from slapping it on all my teams.
I've found that taunt protective pads shifu fits well on Offense teams that aren't weak to hazards ( like 3-4 SR resistant mons and the rest aren't weak ) so that you can get away with no defog and just run taunt as your pseudo hazard control in addition to stopping walls from statusing and recovering.

It's also very nice to stop slowbro from gaining momentum with teleport with some prediction and then you u-turn out.

And the set avoids the nasty contact effects that have arisen to check the conventional band sets. It also does a number on rain teams since your opponent is usually forced to switch In pelipper on it

I'll update some of my noms, I forgot about the murder crab lol. Mainly though, Taunt Protective Pads Urshifu exists to add counterplay for Rocky Helmet Toxapex and Slowbro, which otherwise fully wall and chip it, as well as gain momentum. It doesn't stop Future Sight, but it prevents Teleport and ensures that Slowbro has to stay in for threats like Dragapult, Weavile, Tyranitar, Zapdos, Tapu Koko, etc...

Sure Urshifu has its problems defensively, but its ability to offensively threaten teams with Choice Band and the occasional Choice Scarf while maintaining some survivability with Protective Pads gives it more options to force counterplay or outright score unprepared teams.

I understand the sentiment for S+, but I don't think either mons contend that way. Mainly because I believe S+ is more of a conditional ranking where you'd be losing out if you didn't use Landorus or Heatran, and because there are enough options in the tier that isn't the case. S- is appropriate for Clefable, Melmetal, and Weavile. Not because there are necessarily other things in the tier that fit their roles, but because they aren't splashable on as many teams and are more support specific. Heatran is like Landorus in the sense that it is also very consistent and splashable, near always the steel-type of choice alongside Melmetal and Ferrothorn. I'm conflicted as to whether or not it belongs in S alongside Landorus, mostly because there are other ways to split Heatran's role compression and it doesn't fit quite as much as Landorus does to some degree. However, I understand Heatran's viability can't be gauged by proxy.

heatran fulfills so many roles, between SR, phys def, spdef, flash fire or flame body equally viable depending on team needs, all out wall breaker with eruption and various coverage moves, or stall breaker with trapping taunt and toxic, and critical fairy and dragon check and can also blanket check a number of threats, and especially with the recent uptick in Rilla and bulu, it appreciates their grassy terrain support and provides excellent support to the grass types as well.

landorus is similar, providing SR, defog, momentum, a blanket check, providing the highly coveted ground and electric immunity in one slot, and the rarer wallbreaker or offensive sets in addition to fitting on pretty much everything.

they both don't fit particularly well on rain, as thundurus, seismitoad, ; and ferrothorn, melmetal etc exist, but u can see landorus more commonly on some rain teams, particularly semi-rain as opposed to heatran since it provides momentum alongside SR or defog.

however they are both pretty slasphable on sun naturally, lando doing the usual lando stuff , but heatran probably edging out with it's wallbreaking and ability to keep opposing fire moves in check, as well as putting air ballon to good use.

the only time i think u might not run landorus is if you needed garchomp instead, but even then some teams can get away with both. and only on bulkier balance or stall teams is where you wouldn't really consider lando since hippo and gastrodon exist,

Heatran too faces a lot of competition from melmetal , ferro, but u could still get away with running them together too in some cases if the heatran is flash fire because of the utillity it provides, and of course on really fat teams it's not seen often since corviknight is often the steel of choice

lastly , heatran tends to not be seen on sand much in favour of things like skarm, corviknight, and ferro, whereas landorus is often a good addition since sand teams tend to be a little weak to zeraora due to excadrill not resisting CC.

on hail, heatran and lando provide pretty even support, providing useful fire resist and fighting resists respectively.

So overall though, i don't think either are splashable or potent enough to be worth creating an S+ rank, as they have some notable flaws that some of the S- and A+ mons and even some lower ones can patch up instead on many teams, but Heatran right now does feel really close to lando overall. however, i feel lando still edges it out in general usage and it's ability to fit on more playstyles and teams since lando and Garchomp are by far the most splashable ground types that can provide offensive pressure and/or momentum while filling out lots of utility.

tbh lando stinks and I wouldn't touch it for these "meta" defensive sets if Gliscor still existed. It's just a ground type that can U-turn (broken move). Idk why the smogon collective conscious is so obsessed with the fat sets - scarf and lead are way better.

Melmetal, Pink Potato, and Heatran are the top 3 to me, when considering what will always put in work. Garchomp and Tapu Broko a close follow.

sorry, not sorry

tbh lando stinks and I wouldn't touch it for these "meta" defensive sets if Gliscor still existed. It's just a ground type that can U-turn (broken move). Idk why the smogon collective conscious is so obsessed with the fat sets - scarf and lead are way better.

Melmetal, Pink Potato, and Heatran are the top 3 to me, when considering what will always put in work. Garchomp and Tapu Broko a close follow.

sorry, not sorry
well yeah gliscor does it's defensive roles better but gliscor isn't here so fat lando is the next best thing. offensive sets are rarer but can be good for certain structures. but when building a bulky offensive team for example, u-turn defog fat spdef lando (or even phys def for some teams) provides role compression that simply isn't available elsewhere.

Idk why the smogon collective conscious is so obsessed with the fat sets - scarf and lead are way better.
Scarf Lando is almost complete junk right now. Bad scarfer that is easy to pivot around and punish for clicking its moves, especially prone to rocks and being worn down by iron barbs / rough skin / helmet chip, and in general it is outclassed by better scarfers who revenge kill way more relevant threats.

Certain offensive Lando sets are decent to good but only on specific structures.

People are "obsessed" with bulky Lando because it gives teams a buffer vs some really key threats. Dragapult, Blacephalon, Koko (ones lacking nature's madness), Zapdos (only temp buffer but still helpful), and other misc stuff.

especially with the recent uptick in Rilla and bulu
Boom saw an uptick but I don't think Bulu has?

Scarf Lando is almost complete junk right now. Bad scarfer that is easy to pivot around and punish for clicking its moves, especially prone to rocks and being worn down by iron barbs / rough skin / helmet chip, and in general it is outclassed by better scarfers who revenge kill way more relevant threats.

Certain offensive Lando sets are decent to good but only on specific structures.

People are "obsessed" with bulky Lando because it gives teams a buffer vs some really key threats. Dragapult, Blacephalon, Koko (ones lacking nature's madness), Zapdos (only temp buffer but still helpful), and other misc stuff.

Boom saw an uptick but I don't think Bulu has?
ah, well i could be wrong but assumed so due to Pinkacross popularizing it with the lanturn grass spam, which i've run into quite a few times on the ladder.

sorry, not sorry
Well unfortunately Gliscor doesn't exist and the closest thing this generation has is Landorus, which has a very clear effect. Landorus' defensive sets rose to popularity so it could better check ghost-types like Dragapult and Blacephalon, Electric-types like Tapu-Koko, Regieleki, Magnezone, and Zeraora, Fire-types like Volcarona and Heatran, while buffering flying-types like Tornadus-Therian and Zapdos. Quite obviously Landorus has been successful when compressing roles, its specially defensive set being the most popular by far. Choice Scarf and Lead are both very archetype specific and inconsistent on your average team, unquestionably less notable. Not quite sure why this was brought up given that there are very apparent reasons its fat sets are used.

sorry, not sorry
I'd say its biggest draw is Intimidate, which is really useful to slow down the rate at which physical set up sweepers are able to make progress. For Lando itself, its decently useful, but it becomes very strong when abused by a teammate to make them even better in a certain matchup. When using several physical attackers, I do find the 50/50s Lando creates to be a massive headache because a wrong guess against it leads to further punishment with an attack debuff. Toxic + Ground STAB is also a really good combo that can be difficult to deal with outside of Skarmory / Corviknight and pairs up well with Lando's general role of slowing progress down.

I think the utility and versatility of Intimidate can't be understated since it lets Landorus be played in a number of ways. One strategy I have seen is players repeatedly switching between Lando and another Pokemon to inflict multiple attack debuffs. Setup sweepers have to take a massive gamble in order to even make progress against Lando in these scenarios since the Pokemon it is paired with like Ferro resist most of the attacks that Landorus is neutral or weak to and can punish contact moves with Iron Barbs.

That being said, in a vaccum, I do find Garchomp to be a much better Pokemon in 1v1 matchups due to its higher speed and additional resistances to Fire-moves (which is critical in the Heatran MU).

Here is what I feel like S and S- looks like to me right now.

S:
Heatran
Great defensive utility, checks a lot of really good pokemon through trapping, can revenge kill a lot of pokemon that other pokemon struggle to break through, etc;
Lando-T
Don't even have to explain this one.

S-:
Torn-T
Birb genie has been popping off for a while and probably should be S- right now, slots nicely in most teams, thrives on hyper-offense, bulky-offense, balance, stall, you name it. Regenerator + U-Turn to escape bad MUs and coverage to give itself tons of better matchups is incredible, and can make Torn-T very threatening on most teams. Heck I have even seen Torn-T on stall sometimes, and it seems pretty okay surprisingly since it can get rid of stuff like Melmetal that could give stall problems. Torn-T answers are very important to have because it can easily pressure a team that doesn't have offensive or defensive answers for it.
Clefable
The master of most things, Clefable while not op in the Isle of Armor days, is still a huge threat that fits on many different team styles and while it may not be the best on some team styles, it still usually fits nicely.
Melmetal
Physically fat steel breaker that hits really hard, rips through stall.
Weavile
King of offensive playstyles, triple axel rips through the metagame as always, and keeps a lot of faster pokemon in check.

Honestly this is how I see S and S-? Does this sound reasonable to everyone?

Does anybody feel like too many nominations are being made for at least S-? In my eyes, that rank applies to truly meta defining, very exceptional Pokemon.

sorry, not sorry
I wouldn’t say Lando stinks , but I do believe it’s not the top mon of the meta anymore. Part of the reason is it’s ubiquitous usage. Every team prepares for it in the builder, and takes advantage of it hitting the field. It’s special wall set made it the buffer of all special hits, that it barely takes that well.
beginning of the dlc2 meta saw Lando v Lando in every matchup getting up rocks and a toxic , so the threats in the back can steamroll later. A poisned Lando is as good as dead since, like Heatran, lacks reliable recovery. That turn of rocks leave it vulnerable to incoming attacks what will weaken it in most matchups. So it’s role compression ability makes it amazing, but it also allows it to be taken advantage when getting up rocks , toxic, Defog. It can do it all, but to continue it , it must hit the field on multiple occasions ( not to even mention when it takes chip from rocks itself). Most players no this and plan accordingly. Can we really call a mon that’s half dead by turn 10 the best mon in the meta. (Btw all this is my opinion if y’all think otherwise lemme know how y’all feel, but I just don’t think it deserves the s+ Ranking like Tran or even clef)

I wouldn’t say Lando stinks , but I do believe it’s not the top mon of the meta anymore. Part of the reason is it’s ubiquitous usage. Every team prepares for it in the builder, and takes advantage of it hitting the field. It’s special wall set made it the buffer of all special hits, that it barely takes that well.
beginning of the dlc2 meta saw Lando v Lando in every matchup getting up rocks and a toxic , so the threats in the back can steamroll later. A poisned Lando is as good as dead since, like Heatran, lacks reliable recovery. That turn of rocks leave it vulnerable to incoming attacks what will weaken it in most matchups. So it’s role compression ability makes it amazing, but it also allows it to be taken advantage when getting up rocks , toxic, Defog. It can do it all, but to continue it , it must hit the field on multiple occasions ( not to even mention when it takes chip from rocks itself). Most players no this and plan accordingly. Can we really call a mon that’s half dead by turn 10 the best mon in the meta. (Btw all this is my opinion if y’all think otherwise lemme know how y’all feel, but I just don’t think it deserves the s+ Ranking like Tran or even clef)
Well half dead by turn 10 is not as bad it sounds when on many of those BO teams games are ending in around 30 turns.
Lando is the ground of choice and is especially splashable on these bulky offensive structures which is in large part what causes it to have the highest usage in the tier.

I’ll say that Lando doesn’t have a good matchup against the top physical threats, so many teams that have defensive Lando have to add another wall that can handle these threats (especially Weavile and Urshifu-R), which is why many bulky offense teams have either Buzzwole or a bulky water. Even Melmetal, which it hypothetically beats, cannot take more than one CB Double Iron Bash from full, as these damage calcs show:

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 234-276 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And this is for phys.def variants.
But if Lando’s walling capabilities are limited, what does is do? It is probably the best hazard setter, as it can set up rocks, defog them away, and u-turn into its offensive teammates (notably the frail Weavile). It shares that role with Corviknight, but Corv is somewhat limited in its roles and thus doesn’t see as much use as Lando (and even then, U-turn’s main use on Corv is to escape Magnet Pull at least in my eyes). And although offensive Lando doesn’t see as much use, it can still serve as a surprise against many Pokémon it usually beats (though it still doesn’t work against Weavile since Pressure tells it that the Lando is scarfed and thus will most likely Ice Shard if low enough or just switch). So instead as a wall, I see Lando as a facilitator for its offensive teammates.

Does anybody feel like too many nominations are being made for at least S-? In my eyes, that rank applies to truly meta defining, very exceptional Pokemon.
Not really, there are a lot of very nearly meta defining pokemon this gen. Pink Blob, Melm, Weavile, and Torn-T are all very nearly meta defining pokemon that are not quite S, but are so good at their jobs that they nearly define the meta in some way which warrants S- which goes to show how nuts this gen is. To me, Heatran and Lando are the most meta defining pokemon which is why they feel like S ranks to me.

Clefable to S- : This is pretty popular rn. Its stealth rock (the flamethrower or normal) and cm has been seeing a lot of usage. It is among the top rockers in the meta probably just after heatran and landot ( it has been opting defog more than rocks). Its cm set is my favourite. It can sweep teams once their steel is weakened or the flamethrower variant can break through all the steals excluding flash fire tran. This pink blob is just meta defining as it requires very less support. It is on the rise mainly due to garchomp, weavile and urishifu rising.

Heatran to S: Pretty obvious ig. Heatran is the best pokemon in the meta alongside landot (yes I consider them equal). It has several sets making it hard to predict its role in the game during preview. It is one of the only viable trappers. You cannot swap any pokemon in before you know for sure which set it is. It provides excellent defensive and offensive utility (depending on set). The most splashable pokemon so it deserves this rise.

Crawdaunt to B: The murder crab just destroys stall outside of unaware clef. It is the 2nd most powerful wallbreaker (right after heatran). It has stab knock off and access to priority making it useful in higher ladder (mostly due to the prevalence of stall). Access to crabhammer help it hit knock off resists pretty well. Overall It is just a wallbreaker who should see a rise now or in the near future.

Torkoal and Venusaur to C+ - Sun is really usable if we build properly around them. It is just wrong to place it with Conkeldurr/keldeo/gengar/mamoswine.

Magnezone to B: Magnezone does not trap many pokemon reliably. It is unreliable in its role. Corviknight can pivot out. Skarmory and ferrothorn are the only things it traps. You are just giving ferro free turns to set up spikes when u trap them. You would have to defog them away later on. Most defoggers can handle ferrothorn well then why need magnezone? Skamory is not exactly very popular. (I do like skarmory though)

Avalugg to UR- When was the last time we opted this as our weavile check/spinner? This thing hates knock. How is it supposed to keep weavile in check? LOL

Darmanitan to UR- Darm has just deserved a drop to the UR. It sees just about no usage. It is completely outclassed by victini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)