(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Sword and Shield, like XY and SM before them, updated a few previously existing Pokémon's base stats.
The catch is this time, only one Pokémon (and its alternate form) received this treatment:
updated stats.png

It's a small thing, but this truly annoys me. SwSh's starting roster of Pokémon includes Beheeyem, Cherrim, Delibird, Glalie, Heatmor, Maractus, Seaking, Sudowoodo, and a few other Pokémon with low base stats, and while a few if these have competitive niches (e.g., Cherrim on Sun teams, Lightning Rod Seaking), these gimmicks aren't great partially because of mediocre stats.

The catch is this time, only one Pokémon (and its alternate form) received this treatment:
Funnily though, a simple 10 stat change was enough to actually knock down Aegislash to "not op" anymore.
Well probably meta shifts also had to do with it. One'd have expected Pursuit removal to hurt it but it didn't.

Bit of a shame Aegislash doesn't really get much doubles usage, even though the poke has a lot of fancy tools for doubles like Wide Guard :(

Funnily though, a simple 10 stat change was enough to actually knock down Aegislash to "not op" anymore.
Well probably meta shifts also had to do with it. One'd have expected Pursuit removal to hurt it but it didn't.

Bit of a shame Aegislash doesn't really get much doubles usage, even though the poke has a lot of fancy tools for doubles like Wide Guard :(
There was also the Pursuit removal to buff it, and the King's Shield nerf. Not to downplay the cost of -10 to all defenses and offenses, but they hit it with multiple nerfbats to get it to not-broken.

There was also the Pursuit removal to buff it, and the King's Shield nerf. Not to downplay the cost of -10 to all defenses and offenses, but they hit it with multiple nerfbats to get it to not-broken.
:facepalm: i unironically forgot the nerf of King's Shield. Though I'm not sure how much that actually affected the strenght of the defensive sets, I assume that did play a part on it.

I think Meta Shifts also did a number on it. OU has a lot of strong non-Contact Attackers, both in things Aegislash might want to Check or would use KS to manage or play games with (Lando, Heatran, Drag, Scale Shot Garchomp, etc.) while not necessarily filling in some big defensive holes (Electric and Ground Immunities are really big for example). On top of that, the removal of Megas/Z-Crystals means most teams don't carry a good Knock Off Absorber, and Pokemon with Aegislash's weaknesses are running a lot more common now (Grounds for Electric Immunity, Ghost is Spammable, Heatran means Fire, Weavile is a big Physical Powerhouse).

It's a big case where Aegislash himself didn't strictly get (much) weaker (heck he had a somewhat notable gain with Close Combat > Sacred Sword for Attacker set coverage), but the Metagame became significantly more hostile to him in the generational shift.

The new competition coming in SWSH is pretty cute, it only allows you to use Champion pokemon, but they are comically picky about it.

For example:
-Only Champion battles count which means a lot of random Pokemon they picked up in later appearences (or before they became Champion) get ignored. Like Blue's Machamp or Cynthia's Gen 5 pokemon. Or Lance's FRLG Kingdra, because that's not Champion lance!
-They added Blue's Yellow team, but snubbed Let's Go and none of Trace's Pokemon get to be here. Poor guy.
-Because "you" are the explicit first champion in Gen 7and just defending the title, Kukui & Hau's teams are also ignored entirely even though they are meant to be the stand in for it.
-Incidentally because of that Magneton is the only usable member of its family in the tournament lol. In contrast you can use both Rhydon (because Blue had it) and Rhyperior (because it's on Leon's team)
-While Cynthia's BW1 & 2 additions being ignored is handwaved by that's not her Champion battle, they also ignore her addition of Porygon-Z to her squad in the final BDSP rematch.
-You ever notice that although they lean on Red being champion for stuff like this normally (not here to be clear) they never do it for N, who expressly defeats Alder and becomes Champion so by definition when you fight him in BW1 he would be "Champion" before Alder takes it back by default? Little bit goofy.

Also pour one out for Pidgeot, the only otherwise-eligible champion-roster Pokemon to not be here because it was only added in BDSP.

The new competition coming in SWSH is pretty cute, it only allows you to use Champion pokemon, but they are comically picky about it.

For example:
-Only Champion battles count which means a lot of random Pokemon they picked up in later appearences (or before they became Champion) get ignored. Like Blue's Machamp or Cynthia's Gen 5 pokemon. Or Lance's FRLG Kingdra, because that's not Champion lance!
-They added Blue's Yellow team, but snubbed Let's Go and none of Trace's Pokemon get to be here. Poor guy.
-Because "you" are the explicit first champion in Gen 7and just defending the title, Kukui & Hau's teams are also ignored entirely even though they are meant to be the stand in for it.
-Incidentally because of that Magneton is the only usable member of its family in the tournament lol. In contrast you can use both Rhydon (because Blue had it) and Rhyperior (because it's on Leon's team)
-While Cynthia's BW1 & 2 additions being ignored is handwaved by that's not her Champion battle, they also ignore her addition of Porygon-Z to her squad in the final BDSP rematch.
-You ever notice that although they lean on Red being champion for stuff like this normally (not here to be clear) they never do it for N, who expressly defeats Alder and becomes Champion so by definition when you fight him in BW1 he would be "Champion" before Alder takes it back by default? Little bit goofy.

Also pour one out for Pidgeot, the only otherwise-eligible champion-roster Pokemon to not be here because it was only added in BDSP.
And to top it all off, they also left out Diantha’s Gardevoir altogether, presumably because you only ever battle it as a Mega Gardevoir, but since Mega Evolution isn’t in SwSh, you can’t recreate that. But like… is regular Gardevoir somehow not close enough?! We’re talking about her ace Pokémon here!

And to top it all off, they also left out Diantha’s Gardevoir altogether, presumably because you only ever battle it as a Mega Gardevoir, but since Mega Evolution isn’t in SwSh, you can’t recreate that. But like… is regular Gardevoir somehow not close enough?! We’re talking about her ace Pokémon here!
oh you're right, I completely overlooked Gardevoir not being there. I was looking at the list, glanced through the gen 3 pokemon and mentally went "and obviously, Gardevoir is there" lmao

oh pokemon

you're so dumb, sometimes.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to actually note that in-universe, even if you defeat the reigning Champion, you are allowed to formally refuse the title. N is implied to have actually done that in BW1, even though he defeated Alder during the story he expressly turned down the title as his interest was not in actually holding the title of Champion, but in simply being someone who is stronger than the reigning Champion and using that to his advantage as "king" of Team Plasma to give him and Team Plasma more persuasion power.

So in that sense, he never formally held the title of Champion because despite beating a reigning Champion, he didn't actually accept the title or get his name and team imbued into the Hall of Fame as he was using that battle as a means towards Team Plasma's goals (albeit naively as he didn't fully realize what Ghetsis's true intentions were).

I suppose Let's Go and BDSP don't really exist in the end...they're really not part of the mainline series after all. The only mainline Pokemon games that exist on the Switch are Sword and Shield, Legends: Arceus, and Scarlet and Violet. /hj

In seriousness, my half-joking snide remark aside I really do think the fact that it is LGPE and BDSP that got snubbed specifically is no coincidence, and it seems to suggest how those two games are viewed by the folks in the room. BDSP wasn't made by Game Freak and is really in its own weird plane of existence. I don't think they really consider it something in the vein of other mainline games, not even previous remakes either. It seems to be effectively a side project in their minds, and I think they straight up do not care about it. The fact that it added nothing new to the table is something that's been talked about ad infinitum, but I think BDSP getting snubbed in this tournament really reinforces the reeking vibe that BDSP is an afterthought project that is of little concern to them, and they don't really want to acknowledge the fact that it exists. The fact that there is no separate listing for BDSP compared to OG DPP in HOME/Bank, unlike with past remakes vs original games, further reinforces this in my eyes. Like Pokemon specifically originating from RSE and the VC RBY and GSC have "Good ol' Hoenn" and "Kanto/Johto from the good old days" as separate IDs from FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS which have the standard "From Kanto/Johto/Hoenn", meanwhile such is not the case for DPP Sinnoh vs. BDSP Sinnoh. Definitely reeks of another sign that BDSP is something they actively choose not to acknowledge.

Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee on the other hand seem to strike as being viewed in a similar light, despite actually being made by Game Freak. Despite being classified as mainline it's a very very one-off project catered to a very specific audience (aka the Pokemon GO fans) and when you look at it in a vacuum it's so obviously a one-off project in its own bubble that had a target audience that most of the mainline Pokemon game target audience doesn't overlap with. I think that might've played a part in why it was deliberately snubbed in this.

Of course this is speculation, but despite Let's Go and BDSP being "mainline" by technicality I do get a strong feeling that they are viewed differently from the rest of the mainline games by the folks in the room and that they want to keep the rest of the mainline games in a separate bubble from those two in particular, which may explain why they weren't acknowledged in this tournament.

In seriousness, my half-joking snide remark aside I really do think the fact that it is LGPE and BDSP that got snubbed specifically is no coincidence, and it seems to suggest how those two games are viewed by the folks in the room. BDSP wasn't made by Game Freak and is really in its own weird plane of existence. I don't think they really consider it something in the vein of other mainline games, not even previous remakes either. It seems to be effectively a side project in their minds, and I think they straight up do not care about it. The fact that it added nothing new to the table is something that's been talked about ad infinitum, but I think BDSP getting snubbed in this tournament really reinforces the reeking vibe that BDSP is an afterthought project that is of little concern to them, and they don't really want to acknowledge the fact that it exists. The fact that there is no separate listing for BDSP compared to OG DPP in HOME/Bank, unlike with past remakes vs original games, further reinforces this in my eyes. Like Pokemon specifically originating from RSE and the VC RBY and GSC have "Good ol' Hoenn" and "Kanto/Johto from the good old days" as separate IDs from FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS which have the standard "From Kanto/Johto/Hoenn", meanwhile such is not the case for DPP Sinnoh vs. BDSP Sinnoh. Definitely reeks of another sign that BDSP is something they actively choose not to acknowledge.
Honestly I think porygon-z was just an oversight. It's like 3 rematch teams deep into BDSP and the first two are her Platinum team.

And as for the BDSP location data you're a bit off the mark. While I don't know why Home is the way it is, Legends Arceus actually does account for it.
BDSP pokemon in LA are from "Sinnoh region made new" to mirror LA pokemon in BDSP being "Sinnoh region of old" while DP pokemon in LA are simply "Sinnoh Region" presumably because it would be weird to say "Good ol' Sinnoh" in the game with...old Sinnoh.
BDSP not differentiating between DPPt and BDSP feels more like, well, an ILCA thing honestly.....

Anyway I'm definitely not reading that much active malice into this.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Honestly I think porygon-z was just an oversight. It's like 3 rematch teams deep into BDSP and the first two are her Platinum team.

And as for the BDSP location data you're a bit off the mark. While I don't know why Home is the way it is, Legends Arceus actually does account for it.
BDSP pokemon in LA are from "Sinnoh region made new" to mirror LA pokemon in BDSP being "Sinnoh region of old" while DP pokemon in LA are simply "Sinnoh Region" presumably because it would be weird to say "Good ol' Sinnoh" in the game with...old Sinnoh.
BDSP not differentiating between DPPt and BDSP feels more like, well, an ILCA thing honestly.....

Anyway I'm definitely not reading that much active malice into this.
There’s another reason why BDSP doesn’t recognized as it’s own Pokédex distinct from DPPt; the differences between Pokédexes are too insignificant to really count as different categories.

ORAS’ Pokédex is different from RSE’s Pokémon for one major key factor; it adds cross-generational evolutions from Gen 4 for Pokémon that are available in the original RSE, as such Dusklops can evolve into Dusknoir, without needing to obtain the National Dex firsthand. This alone makes ORAS’ Pokédex distinct from the Hoenn of old, hence the seperation between them between ”Hoenn” for ORAS and “Good Old Hoenn” for RSE.

ORAS’ prior remakes, FRLG and HGSS, do not make cross-gen evolutions and pre-evolutions available until the National Dex is obtained - though erronously in HGSS, Aipom, Lickitung, Yanma, Piloswine and Tangela can still evolve via a certain move if traded from DPPt beforehand - thus there’s no use for making FRLG and HGSS be their own Pokédex from the original versions.

Let’s Go Pikachu and Let’s Go Eevee repeated what FRLG did and going as far as making cross-gen evos and pre-evos not coded in the game at all, and the only new additions are the Meltan line. And even then, Meltan and Melmetal were only obtained from transfer from Pokémon GO through Pokémon HOME, so it’s not something the Kanto Pokédex took into account in the long run, unlike ORAS where NPC trainers, including Gym Leaders, do use the Gen 4’s cross-gen evolutions where applicable. An example is Phoebe using Dusknoir over one of her Dusklops.

BDSP is based on either Diamond and Pearl or Platinum, and doesn’t include Sylveon from Gen 6, thus no point of making BDSP’s Pokédex distinct from DPPt. Legends: Arceus, on the other hand, not only have it’s own few whole new (or in this case, rediscovered in-lore) Pokémon that is involved in the main game and post game without transfer, but also have Pokémon not available to capture in-game without trading in both DPPt and BDSP.

Legends: Arceus have by far the most Mythical Pokémon available to freely capture without time expiration… though if you manage to get BDSP and SwSh games, Shaymin and Darkrai are also available, making ALL Gen 4 Mythical Pokémon available to capture without online event, period, something unheard off. While not super disticnt by itself, it definitely gives L:A another distinction over DPPt and BDSP dex-wise, since the goal of L:A is to complete Hisui’s Pokédex by capturing almost all Pokémon (Darkrai and Shaymin are understandably optional) before taking on Arceus‘ avatar.

so out of curiosity, i pulled out Home and dug through my boxes

Home doesn't differenate between the Hoenn games either. I have a random Walrein that came from the Hoenn region and it has no Pentagon mark so it's not from ORAS; I have a few other random pokemon also from RSE that say the same thing. And the pentagon Hoenn pokemon are also just "the Hoenn region"
The only ones they seem to differentiate are the VC titles (Johto in the good old days)

Maybe we should just put our conspiracy boards away on this, a little, and chalk it up to Home being weird.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
So the rumoured but unconfirmed shiny Eternatus giveaway has now been confirmed, meaning one more formerly shiny-locked Pokemon has been made available.

From this generation that just leaves... [checks notes] G-Max Melmetal, Kubfu, Urshifu, Zarude, Glastrier, Spectrier, Calyrex, and Enamorus.

Bets on whether any of these will be released before ScVi drops, or whether they'll be left languishing for years to come? My money's on the latter for most of them.

Well of these, all the non mythicals are likely to just be available at some point in SV in whatever the legendary-catching mechanic ends up being.

I could see Go squeezing in a shiny g-max melmetal by the end of the year, maybe
To be fair... there's the fact that if G-max factor isnt a thing in gen 9 (due to dynamax not being a thing in first place), tecnically outside specifically gen 8, a shiny gmax melmetal is exactly same as a regular shiny melmetal, and shiny melmetal is already obtainable from Let's Go so...

To be fair... there's the fact that if G-max factor isnt a thing in gen 9 (due to dynamax not being a thing in first place), tecnically outside specifically gen 8, a shiny gmax melmetal is exactly same as a regular shiny melmetal, and shiny melmetal is already obtainable from Let's Go so...
I...think gen9's a bit irrelevant to this conversation. By virtue of wanting "Shiny G-Max Melmetal" we want it as a Gen 8 give away

I...think gen9's a bit irrelevant to this conversation. By virtue of wanting "Shiny G-Max Melmetal" we want it as a Gen 8 give away
Yeh and the point was "it's not happening because the gen is over in a month and the mechanic is disappearing in next generation".

Yeh and the point was "it's not happening because the gen is over in a month and the mechanic is disappearing in next generation".
and my point is we still have time (two months!) so if they want one last "see yeah" on a game that will absolutely still be selling regardless and also probably the only way to even use Melmetal on the switch for some undiscernible amount of time, it's not entirely off the table imo

Why are the different language versions of the Game Boy Pokémon games on Virtual Console, and Snap and Puzzle League on NSO, listed as separate games when no other games do that? I understand that multiple scripts might not fit on a text-heavy handheld game's ROM, and Puzzle League has voiced FMVs taking up a lot of the cartridge space, but Snap can't be that big. Super Mario 64 is only 6MB and the PAL version has English, French, and German on the same ROM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)