Every Pokemon Seen In The Journeys Anime

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Journeys really shafted a large portion of the Gen 8 roster to the point where it has to cram a lot of Gen 8 mons into quick cameo shots during the final climax arc just so they can say "Yeah, we had most/all of the Gen 8 mons appear in some form at least".

I like Journeys and find it enjoyable, but it really does stick out this time around that Galar got the shaft pretty hard in its own generation's anime season. It's clear they are only now realizing that the world tour format left the very region they're supposed to be representing this generation to fall to the wayside and they are only now cramming most of them into cameos at the last minute just to fulfill the anime's job each gen of having every mon in the new generation be shown off in some form or another. Most of the...shall I say...general fodder mons just got thrown to the wayside and are now just being crammed in as cameos last minute.

I do wonder if they'll change course for Gen 9, especially in terms of representing Paldea mons. If they return to the good ol' "Ash goes through a journey in this region" formula again for the SV anime and move away from the world tour format then they won't fall into this pitfall again, if it's just Ash being in Paldea. Hopefully we'll see how Gen 9 and SV/Paldea is handled in the anime soon.

I feel like the fact that they crammed so many gen 8 pokemon into this last ride into Galar (since if we shift overback to Goh for HIS finale it's not gonna have as much opportunity) says that they are probably shifting back to a more traditional region-focused season (even if that season winds up having a different "thing" going on)

If they were just sticking with the world tour format, then it would be whatever. We'd just keep on keeping on, and maybe they would lean harder on Paldea after learning their lessons with Galar, but we'd still be hopping place to place and maybe circle back to galar for more proper mons and locales. No reason to cram so many in at once, you know?

This discussion all about Gen VIII Pokémon who won't appear in Journeys made me think, were there Pokémon from Generations I to VII who had to appear in the next generation?
For example, I was going to state :typhlosion:Typhlosion first appeared in the main anime in Advanced Generation. Unless The Legend of Thunder! counts as the main anime.

This discussion all about Gen VIII Pokémon who won't appear in Journeys made me think, were there Pokémon from Generations I to VII who had to appear in the next generation?
For example, I was going to state :typhlosion:Typhlosion first appeared in the main anime in Advanced Generation. Unless The Legend of Thunder! counts as the main anime.
I know there's one family that needed to wait for an anniversary celebration showing every mon at the time. I think that was in gen 4 though, so it's only the middle stage that was out of its regular generation.

Still not watching until low-poly duck returns.

Under these caveats:
-Ignoring openings
-Ignoring "World of Pokemon" Segments
-Counting Orange Islands as part of Gen 1 and Battle Frontier as part of Gen 3
-Acknowledging movies and "main anime" specials (that is, I would count Legend of Thunder but not Twilight Wings) that aired during those times, but keeping track of when they "actually" appear in the anime regardless
-Not even bothering to acknowledge the "side game" specials like Mystery Dungeon
-Ignoring Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon since its just like. A weird spot in general.

Gen 1
As you'd probably expect from only having one set of critters to draw on gen 1 mostly didn't have this problem. That said
  • Articuno. Ignoring the stone carving cameo in the first 3 episodes, first appearance was Movie 2. If you want it to show up in the anime proper you had to wait until the Johto anime
  • Zapdos. Uhhh actually I wasn't sure if I should count the big Zapdos animatronic from the Island of Giant Pokemon; like its not Zapdos but its not....NOT Zapdos....? Otherwise its similar to Articuno; Movie 2 and then had an episode in Johto
  • Mew. Obviously it was in Movie 1, but what about the normal anime? Well. That took until Diamond & Pearl where it showed up in a Boss Fantasy Sequence! ...if we don't want to count that then it was the Sun & Moon anime.
Moltres got to show up for the olympic torch stuff (its expressly Moltres this time) and Mewtwo had a string of episodes where it's setting up the movie.

Gen 2
Johto felt like it went on for so long so I really expected this to not be an issue. And yet!
  • Typhlosion. As you mentioned, kind of an interesting case. Its ONLY appearance was Legend of Thunder until the Hoenn anime (where it showed up 3 times!). It's very odd for a starter to be like this; all the other gen 2 starters showed up several times throughout Johto. Again I don't think there's necessarily an issue counting the "Specials" as part of the anime (especially from this era where they are meant to be canon), but I thought it was worth listing regardless.
  • Togetic. There are no caveats beyond World of Pokemon stuff in play here, it simply did not show up until the Misty cameo episodes in Hoenn. And then made one (1) other appearance in Diamond & Pearl. Wild!
  • Flaaffy?? Outside of the third movie it was in Legend of Thunder; it otherwise had to wait until the Hoenn anime.
  • Porygon2. Lol.
  • Celebi. After the 4th Movie it had a Ritchie special (in the Advanced era) and after that it would show up in the Battle Frontier
Flaaffy & Typhlosion make a good case for just counting the specials with no caveats. But it's fun to point out so I'll keep doing it

Gen 3
  • Latias. After Movie 5, it had the Post-DP Brock Special episode. Now normally I would just straight up call that a normal episode of the anime, because it just...aired. Normally. In the time slot. "Legend of XYZ" is in a similar boat, but is treated normally in the west as an example. But the episode never gets aired outside of Japan! And Latias has only appeared in other special stuff like the Mega specials. So it seems worth having here.
  • Latios. After Movie 5 it had to wait until Tobias' Latios to show up in DP.
  • Rayquaza. After Movie 7 it had to wait until a later DP episode.
  • Jirachi. After Movie 6 it had to wait until BW.
All things considered Gen 3 did really well for itself. I really don't get why America never brings over the "wrap up" specials; the only one they've bothered with was the "Legend of XYZ" episode i mentioned earlier. Curious why Jirachi took so long to show up, though. Its appearances are very sparse even today.

Gen 4
  • Porygon-Z. lmao
  • Giratina. The only reason I'm listing this is because I waffled on Zapdos & Mew. Giratina showed up twice in the DP anime once as an illusion from another Pokemon and another time as part of a boss fantasy. It's otherwise not showed up outside of a Movie.
  • Manaphy. Had to wait allllllll the way until the SM anime.
  • Arceus. After its movie (and a brief cameo of its mandala in the Galactic climax) it had to wait until Journeys. Long time coming on this one.

Not too shabby from gen 4. Surprising that Phione, Darkrai & Shaymin all got DP episodes but not Manaphy, though.

Gen 5
  • Klang?! Wha?? It was in the Victini Movie and then....a Genesect movie tie in that never came to the west. I forgot that movie even HAD a tie in. It did at least have characters from the anime so I guess its in the same boat as Latias, but...what a weird Pokemon to be like this. It's still not shown up in another episode!
  • Cobalion. Only showed up in the Keldeo movie.
  • Terrakion. Only showed up in the Keldeo movie
  • Virizion. Only showed up in the KEldeo movie
  • Kyurem. Movie only
  • Keldeo. Only showed up in the Keldeo movie
Klang....

Gen 6
  • Diancie. Movie only. Gen 6 did have some shorts for it & Hoopa as part of movie ins, but I'm not counting those anyway
  • Hoopa. It showed up proper in Journeys after its movie.
  • Volcanion. Movie only. Didn't even get a short for it...
Gen 6 benefited a lot from being a tiny generation.

Gen 7
  • Nobody!
That's right gen 7 has absolutely no issues. Every single gen 7 pokemon from Rowlet to Melmetan showed up in the SM anime proper.

So... the anime airs on Fridays now, and Scarlet and Violet come out next week. I've checked Bulbapedia to see which Gen 8 Pokémon haven't appeared in any anime yet. Am I missing any?
  • Hisuian Arcanine
  • Hisuian Voltorb
  • Hisuian Electrode
  • Hisuian Typhlosion
  • Hisuian Samurott
  • White-Striped Basculin
  • Hisuian Sliggoo
  • Hisuian Goodra
  • Hisuian Avalugg
  • Hisuian Decidueye
  • Glastrier
  • Spectrier
  • Calyrex
  • Kleavor
  • Ursaluna
  • Hisuian Sneasel
  • Sneasler
  • Hisuian Qwilfish
  • Overqwil
  • Lilligant
  • Enamorus

So... the anime airs on Fridays now, and Scarlet and Violet come out next week. I've checked Bulbapedia to see which Gen 8 Pokémon haven't appeared in any anime yet. Am I missing any?
  • Hisuian Arcanine
  • Hisuian Voltorb
  • Hisuian Electrode
  • Hisuian Typhlosion
  • Hisuian Samurott
  • White-Striped Basculin
  • Hisuian Sliggoo
  • Hisuian Goodra
  • Hisuian Avalugg
  • Hisuian Decidueye
  • Glastrier
  • Spectrier
  • Calyrex
  • Kleavor
  • Ursaluna
  • Hisuian Sneasel
  • Sneasler
  • Hisuian Qwilfish
  • Overqwil
  • Lilligant
  • Enamorus
From the document dramps is maintaining, there's also Hatenna, Polteageist, Corvisquire, Blipbug, Boltund, Rolycoly, Carkol, Sizzlipede & Zarude

e: The moment you hit post I realized you specified "any" of the animated stuff, nvm I think your list is about spot on

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Forget Zarude, the complete lack of any animated depictions of Calyrex or its steeds is the real mindboggling one here. We've seen Crown Tundra a few times between Journeys and Twilight Wings and absolutely no sign of him. Wonderful work
Maybe it'll be like Wallace where there was absolutely no hint of his existence in the Hoenn anime and then he randomly appeared midway through the Sinnoh arc

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Episode 1222: Project Mew has aired today

New Pokemon Seen In This Episode:
Solrock
Lileep
Kyogre
Groudon
Cranidos
Virizion
Vivillon
Tyrunt
Carbink
Toucannon

Another assorted big batch. Always nice to have these.

2 more episodes to go now. Dang. To think we've come this far... Or maybe the Journeys format continues into SV and I have to continue updating this for another 3-4 years.
Yeah I appreciate I'm extremely late to the party here given there's 2 episodes left but as someone who only sporadically watches the anime if this format continues into ScVi it'd be cool to have a "here's the context of why and how these appeared" section because wow, what a weird grouping

EDIT: Nice, Faraway Island finally made it into the anime 17 years later!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)