Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Wait so with 5 dead teammates it's a 300 base power physical ghost move with 16 PP and 100% accuracy?

Am... I reading that right? Oh and Basculegion, with 112 base attack and Adaptability, learns it?
That's even too strong for Ubers actually...

Thankfully Basculegion doesn't have too high of a Speed Stat so Scarf isn't enough to outspeed everyone.

But Basculegion learn Agility and have respectable bulk...
Swift Swim is also an option, don't know if it raises speed 1 or 2 stage this gen though ?

I've recieved an interesting report about Rage Fist: the power it recieves from being hit lasts the entire battle, even if switched out or fainted.

Context: someone sacked their Annihilape against a garchomp, revived it with a Max Revive, and then brought it back out. Rage Fist then 1 shot the Garchomp.

I was also curious about how Rage Fist interacts with Punching Glove, since we can assume punching glove is a multiplier boost, does it continuously stack with Rage Fist's continuous boosts? If so, does it even have a power cap?

If we can verify these things wuth our researchers Id appreciate it.

I've recieved an interesting report about Rage Fist: the power it recieves from being hit lasts the entire battle, even if switched out or fainted.
This is big for Annihilape's competitive viability if true.
I also have the following question about rage fist: does it gain a stack if the user is immune to the attacking move? Spinblocking comes to mind.
Edit: while I'm at it, do Snowstorm's Def bonus apply to body press?

Context: someone sacked their Annihilape against a garchomp, revived it with a Max Revive, and then brought it back out. Rage Fist then 1 shot the Garchomp.

I was also curious about how Rage Fist interacts with Punching Glove, since we can assume punching glove is a multiplier boost, does it continuously stack with Rage Fist's continuous boosts? If so, does it even have a power cap?

Will the power boost apply before or after Annihilape uses Rage Fist? Like, say, opponent's Weavile clicks Beat Up before Annihilape makes it move?

To add on to this, what is the boost of Punching Glove? This item could potentially be very useful for certain mons

From the Data thread:
Well it says it's coded to be an always 10-hits move meaning that it won't stop itself after less hits, but that doesn't really answer about accuracy.
If accuracy is calculated for each hit that would still be a not very reliable move.

Do we know if any of the Dexited moves have the Cut Move or Wind Move flag added? I'm mostly asking since moves in Gen VIII seemed to have their flagged checked off even for impossible interactions due to one or both moves not being usable. Or have they finally stopped doing that?
afaik no. I don't think any of the cut moves in SWSH GAINED new flags, but rather just kept their existing one. Oddest case I can think of is Psychic Terrain, introduced in Gen 7, getting the "fails in Sky Battles" flag despite THEM not being around, and that was clearly a case of cloning from the other terrains.

I'm interested in some of the lesser flags. Any sign of the drowsy-removing one from PLA? Electric moves as a niche Yawn defense could be fun. And is the "thaws user" flag on Sandsear and Raging Fury?

Interaction of the legendary ability and paradox ability with Cloud Nine and similar mechanic.
Going to respond to myself

Fighting a Golduck with Cloud nine, we sent in Koraidon.
Sun was set, and the message that Koraidon went in a frenzy popped. Sadly I can't test if the attack boost is actually in effect or not cause the only wild cloud nine pokes I can find are waaaaay lower level.
However, sending in Flutter Mane after did NOT trigger Protosyntesis despite Sun being tecnically up.

Someone claimed that the Ruin abilities affect base stats and is not akin to an internal stat stage change. And so, does the Ruin abilities affect base stats instead of applying an internal stat stage change? Does this also apply to the Paradox abilities?

Can the Clear Amulet block the effects of the Ruin legends? The item stats it prevents the stats from being lowered by attacks or abilities, but its unclear if the quartet was meant to be included in ita text.

EDIT: I can't confirm for myself but from the same source who linked this in the code cracking server, apparently the patch can change from HA to normal ability, so that might be worth testing out if someone can edit it in.
dragging this over to here since it seems like something worth checking

In SWSH, the Patch was a "one-way" thing. You had to commit to the Hidden Ability.

e: Likewise worth seeing if you can use an Ability Capsule on a HA pokemon and swap to their standard abilities that way

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Can the Clear Amulet block the effects of the Ruin legends? The item stats it prevents the stats from being lowered by attacks or abilities, but its unclear if the quartet was meant to be included in ita text.
Their effects are not stat drops and most likely not something Clear Body would prevent, as it is p much the item version of that ability.

Just gonna link what I've already researched and that I'll get to the stuff I haven't got to yet eventually.

Otherwise try to keep this thread to stuff you want answers to or can definitely answer with a source. Commenting on research and its effect on competitive is just clutter.

Can Stone Axe and the Snow-setting pivot move (dont know the name) still set Stealth Rock/Snow if the target is immune to the move due to either typing (possible through Normalize or Electrify) or Wonder Guard (would have to be hacked on cart but could happen in Nat Dex formats if Shedinja chooses to terastal into a type not weak to rock) or if there is no target available (such as if the opponent outsped first and used a move that caused it to faint)?

Furthermore, can they still set Stealth Rock/Snow if the user faints from using the move
(Here's an example in Gen 8 where a pokemon using Rapid Spin and being KO'd by the target's Rocky Helmet results in hazards not being cleared, this in no way indicates that other moves in Gen 9 will act the same way, it just shows that there is a precedent that this can sometimes be the case)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8purehackmons-1710079617-jspfhrbx1mjvo8gzfh53qahh2oq2oempw

Last edited:
Snow-setting pivot move
I get the feeling Oblivious might block that one, it's called Chilly Reception and the move's flavor text involves telling a bad joke. If that's the case, it could be possible to test this without hacking.

Do we even know what moves are boosted by Sharpness? (Including moves that Sharpness Mons can't learn)
Yes, that was already datamined, but I don't have the pastebin link right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)