Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Then it's implemented very incorrectly on showdown
I am inquiring internally on this matter
After discussing, it turns out that our amazing development and coding team already was made aware of this prior and is implementing a fix in the immediate future.

Direct, turn-of damaging attacks impact Rage Fist. Any other move does not. Think of it like moves that would trigger Counter or Mirror Coat (in the wise words of Lily). This means things like Poison damage no longer impact it.

I also want to thank Marty for his timely and helpful response to all of my inquiries thus far. All of the PS contributors have been professional, timely, and very explanatory so far.

After discussing, it turns out that our amazing development and coding team already was made aware of this prior and is implementing a fix in the immediate future.

Direct, turn-of damaging attacks impact Rage Fist. Any other move does not. Think of it like moves that would trigger Counter or Mirror Coat (in the wise words of Lily). This means things like Poison damage no longer impact it.

I also want to thank Marty for his timely and helpful response to all of my inquiries thus far. All of the PS contributors have been professional, timely, and very explanatory so far.
On Serebii, the move is described to have a secondary effect similar to metronome. What’s the deal with that?
https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-sv/ragefist.shtml

while a cool discovery, i dont believe it will be noticeably impactful to Annihilape's viability

edit: the biggest impact is hazards dont affect rage fist's power right?

Last edited:

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
The bigger the power creep, the more the Council has to deal with salty little pukes like that who whine and cry about losing their favorite mons/mechanics instead of actually developing even the tiniest grain of skill. This gen is particularly bad because we got a lot of OP threats and a new potentially-broken (I personally can’t judge one way or the other) mechanic.
Call me uninformed if ya want for it might be true, but doesn't this sound like ur saying new strats lack skill? If anything, making it to the top with these new mons and mechanics takes a bit of skill in itself since they're a new experience. It just so happens that this meta leans towards offense rather than the more balance-centered meta of generations prior, and personally I think thats just fine

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I agree we shouldn’t stop quickbans based on this

I also would say I highly doubt that’s what the poster meant and we should be more generous when interpreting posts but yeah I agree with your main point
It seems like I misunderstood his post then and thought it was geared towards tiering as a whole — sorry Bugboy and thanks pif. Just dealing with too much at once that I didn’t understand entirely.

Can speak with confidence that I’m not voting ban myself this week on the Ape anyway. Can’t speak for others, but my guess is it sticks around for now. Could be wrong though, we’ll see.

If Ape hides behind a substitute & the substitute takes the hit, does it increase Rage Fist’s base power?

I mean I highly doubt the Ape is going to be banned yet (I know I’m not voting to ban it and others aren’t likely to quite yet either), but to stop quickbans as a whole on this basis is a weak, insufficient argument in my eyes.
I mean I highly doubt the Ape is going to be banned yet (I know I’m not voting to ban it and others aren’t likely to quite yet either), but to stop quickbans as a whole on this basis is a weak, insufficient argument in my eyes.
Just my 2c Finch I think this meta feels very much like its own thing. I hope no efforts are made to take the flavor away. At worst we coulD make a gen 8 redux meta an OM. This one needs to maintain it's character.

while a cool discovery, i dont believe it will be noticeably impactful to Annihilape's viability

edit: the biggest impact is hazards dont affect rage fist's power right?
This would actually be decently noteworthy for Annihilape because it means it's safe to hit with utility moves such as Taunt to prevent Rest/Bulk Up or debilitate with Status such as Will-o-Wisp without powering up the most dangerous move. Considering Rage Fist and Ape's statline/typing made it most threatening to defensive cores, this increases their counterplay to it by a pretty sizeable margin

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Just my 2c Finch I think this meta feels very much like its own thing. I hope no efforts are made to take the flavor away. At worst we coulD make a gen 8 redux meta an OM. This one needs to maintain it's character.
We tier for the sake of finding a competitive metagame, not to maximize the “flavor” which varies in the eye of every individual beholder anyway.

Personally, I think there are dozens of unique aspects about SV OU that are not replicated anywhere else and I cherish them all. But sometimes things have to be removed to make games more playable.

it's silly to suggest that because we want to ban overcentralizing mons that means that we're trying to turn this meta into SS OU. If we assume maximum ban-happy and we take out gholdengo, anhiliape, roaring moon, palafin, and iron bundle, that still leaves us with the donphans, the dark legendaries, the starters, kingambit, clodsire, the new pseudolegend, and all the other paradox mons as OU staples. And of course, I do not think that we should ban anhiliape, roaring moon, and probably not gholdengo either, and that leaves us with even more meta-defining toys in play. Alternatively, a gen with "its own feel" that is just mindless hyperoffense and 50/50s is not interesting nor fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)