Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

This might be a weird question, but following on the Curse with Type-Change interaction before, does the opposite happen if you LOSE your Ghost Typing before it executes? Like if I click Ghost-Curse with Banette, but then change to a Water Type because of Soak, will he apply the Curse Boost to himself, or to whoever was targeted by the Ghost version?

Also, given the weird interactions Body Press has with "invisible" Defense Boosts, has it been documented how moves like Gyro Ball or Psyshock interact as well with them? Like is Psyshock reduced in damage by "invisible" DEF boosts, or does it look at SpD for that as a Special move despite its mechanic?
The way I understand it is Curse has always worked is it just checks your current type when it executes. If you turn Ghost before it goes off, it does the Nail and will target the opponent as per usual; in a double it will target randomly.

Maranga Berry seems to be not able to use at least in Gen 9 Doubles OU
I was building a team for that tier, and PS! didnt let me use the Maranga Berry due the following reasons:
312ab13d84ecca33b48efd7139a00431.png

I did a little research, and the Marange Berry seems to be obtainable in Scarlet and Violet as a reward on Tera Raids and Gym Challenge reruns.
Heres the link which i got this information:
https://gameriv.com/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet-all-berries/
d90f1ffb19c834075e087e8e1b27137c.png

Theres even an in-game description for the berry, but i dont own the game so, If anyone can corroborate that this information is true, it would be appreciated.

Maranga Berry seems to be not able to use at least in Gen 9 Doubles OU
I was building a team for that tier, and PS! didnt let me use the Maranga Berry due the following reasons:
View attachment 469618
I did a little research, and the Marange Berry seems to be obtainable in Scarlet and Violet as a reward on Tera Raids and Gym Challenge reruns.
Heres the link which i got this information:
https://gameriv.com/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet-all-berries/
View attachment 469619
Theres even an in-game description for the berry, but i dont own the game so, If anyone can corroborate that this information is true, it would be appreciated.
Well I definitely didn't get a Maranga Berry for doing the gym challenge "rerun"; that's a post game thing and you don't really get anything for that (beyond unlocking the Academy Ace Tourney)

I glanced through the raid tables on serebii (who doesnt have the berry in his item list either) and I don't see it there, either.

Serebii also didn't have Starf Berry listed as a possible reward for over a week after I found it myself ingame, so it's very possible that Maranga is obtainable and Serebii's sources simply haven't found it themselves yet.
OK so this got me to look up what the Starf Berry was tied too and I did not realize that the "reruns" were the literal challenges, with the ESP challenge being the one that gives you berries. So I'm learning new things today!

Tested it and they don't, as it's not a secondary effect at all really. It just always set a layer of spikes on to the opposing side, even if attacking one's teammate.
Thanks for testing this in-game! :) Could you clarify what you mean by "opposing side, even if attacking one's teammate"? Do you mean that in a double battle, attacking your teammate will put up spikes on the targets side of the field (i.e the user's side when attacking a teammate) or always on the side of the other player?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Thanks for testing this in-game! :) Could you clarify what you mean by "opposing side, even if attacking one's teammate"? Do you mean that in a double battle, attacking your teammate will put up spikes on the targets side of the field (i.e the user's side when attacking a teammate) or always on the side of the other player?
Latter, it works the same as Toxic Debris.

Building on the Pixilate Tera conversation before, will a Tera Normal Sylveon still have Fairy type Tera Blast?

Also, for abilities that only trigger once (Intrepid Sword, Dauntless Shield, maybe Battle Bond?) what happens if a Transform Pokémon Transforms into a Pokémon holding that ability more than once? Like if a ditto transforms into a Zacian, switches out, then switches back in and transforms into Zacian again. Does the ability proc both times?

Same question with copying the ability via Role Play, Skill Swap, Doodle - if you switch out to reset the ability and then copy it again, will it still proc?

What happens if you currently have Intrepid Sword and you Skill Swap with another Intrepid Sword pokemon? Does the new Intrepid Sword proc?

How does Doodle interact with copying the same ability?

Tested it and they don't, as it's not a secondary effect at all really. It just always set a layer of spikes on to the opposing side, even if attacking one's teammate.

Also tested this and nothing has changed.

Tested some Greninja and Battle Bond stuff as well: the stat boosts is a once per battle thing, the ability still can't be Skill Swapped, and Water Shuriken doesn't transform to the 3-hit 20 BP variant anymore.
Can Battle Bond be hacked on other Pokémon and will it work?

I know there probably have been posts about this but to just confirm something else about Rage Fist...
If Ditto switches in and Transforms into an Annihilape with a Rage Fist, currently at the BP of 100.
If Ditto would now get hurt, would Ditto's Rage Fist go up to 150 BP?
Do Hits taken prior to the Transformation count towards the BP strength?
I also assume that if Annihilape takes damage from Ditto's attack (while transformed into Annihilape), only Annihilape's Rage Fist increases in strength

Also, what if a mon uses Mimic to call Rage Fist?
Does it copy Annihilape's Rage Fist BP and counts the times taken from there or does it copy Rage Fists BP of 50 only and then counts from there?

Hey wsu. I just wanted to ask about Heal Bell Blissey/Chansey since it seems smth changed recently but I can't find info about it here in forums. So a few days ago you were able to use Heal Bell on these mons without issue, but now teambuilder says

1669914511777.png

Heal Bell also got this added when you do dt: Unobtainable in Gen 9

Finally, the /learn command shows this

1669914575540.png

Which also changed, since a while ago it would show an extra row with an * and saying that the move was obtainable via egg moves. We've been talking a fair bit about it in help room, and moreso in the ou room. Would be nice to have some clarification if the changed occurred due to smth new being found out.

Hey wsu. I just wanted to ask about Heal Bell Blissey/Chansey since it seems smth changed recently but I can't find info about it here in forums. So a few days ago you were able to use Heal Bell on these mons without issue, but now teambuilder says

View attachment 469800

Heal Bell also got this added when you do dt: Unobtainable in Gen 9

Finally, the /learn command shows this

View attachment 469801

Which also changed, since a while ago it would show an extra row with an * and saying that the move was obtainable via egg moves. We've been talking a fair bit about it in help room, and moreso in the ou room. Would be nice to have some clarification if the changed occurred due to smth new being found out.
The problem is while Heal Bell is in the game, and while it is an Egg Move for Blissey still, there's nobody to pass the move from
The only pokemon that learn the move naturally aren't in the game yet and it's also not a TM.

The problem is while Heal Bell is in the game, and while it is an Egg Move for Blissey still, there's nobody to pass the move from
The only pokemon that learn the move naturally aren't in the game yet and it's also not a TM.
I see. We actually noticed this very early on into the generation, and someone brought up that (I am really sorry if this is not true as Idk anything about the games) that some egg moves could now be obtained via tera raids. We kinda assumed that was the reason and just moved on. I am guessing this info is thus wrong(?)

Following it up, are there any more such examples of this happening?

I see. We actually noticed this very early on into the generation, and someone brought up that (I am really sorry if this is not true as Idk anything about the games) that some egg moves could now be obtained via tera raids. We kinda assumed that was the reason and just moved on. I am guessing this info is thus wrong(?)

Following it up, are there any more such examples of this happening?
As far as I know this is the only example of this problem as all other egg moves have at least 1 pokemon that learn them naturally.

It's possible that pokemon introduced with the DLC will retain the Heal Bell move, and thus Blissey line will be able to learn it again regularly. Or simply via Home compatibility if movesets aren't reset as at that point breeding any gen 8- Blissey who knows the egg move will produce a Happiny with it as well or just pass it to a gen 9 one.

As of now however there's no way to legally obtain Heal Bell on them.

Even with the ability to pass egg moves in SV without regard for egg groups, there are multiple moves that currently have no donor.

Mattyoukhana_ searched for all the Egg Moves that aren't present in any learnsets in the personal data [1][2], then looked for these moves to be present on any existing encounters in game from:
- fixed encounters
- stock raids
- event raids
- static encounters
- mystery gifts
- wilds (regular level up moves)
- NPC gifts

We believe this is the accurate list for unavailable moves at this time.

BUG STATUS: CONFIRMED - LEGALITY (DaWoblefet)

A list of relevant egg moves was posted in the bug reports thread.

Theia

I danced for you for the last time
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Building on the Pixilate Tera conversation before, will a Tera Normal Sylveon still have Fairy type Tera Blast?
Nope, Tera Blast is Normal-type.

Like if a ditto transforms into a Zacian, switches out, then switches back in and transforms into Zacian again. Does the ability proc both times?
The ability will only proc the first time (sorry for the lower quality videos for the next few).

Same question with copying the ability via Role Play, Skill Swap, Doodle - if you switch out to reset the ability and then copy it again, will it still proc?
It did not proc again after being Role Played, switched out, and Role Played again.

What happens if you currently have Intrepid Sword and you Skill Swap with another Intrepid Sword pokemon? Does the new Intrepid Sword proc?
The new Intrepid Sword does not proc.

How does Doodle interact with copying the same ability?
But it failed!

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. A few more results.

Also, for abilities that only trigger once (Intrepid Sword, Dauntless Shield, maybe Battle Bond?) what happens if a Transform Pokémon Transforms into a Pokémon holding that ability more than once? Like if a ditto transforms into a Zacian, switches out, then switches back in and transforms into Zacian again. Does the ability proc both times?

Can Battle Bond be hacked on other Pokémon and will it work?
Theia beat me to some of these, particularly the Intrepid Sword mechanics since I don't think I've shown anything extra on those, but posting that one anyway for the sake of completeness since it was already done uploading.

Tera Normal Pixilate Sylveon has a Normal-type Tera Blast. Furthermore, I've confirmed that the damage is seemingly unaffected by using two otherwise identical Tera Normal Slyveon with Cute Charm / Pixilate.

Abilities that only trigger once, such as Intrepid Sword, only work once per battle per Pokemon, even with mechanics like Transform and Skill Swap. Skill Swapping two Intrepid Sword users does nothing, which is shown in the same video.

Battle Bond cannot be Skill Swapped or Role Played. If Battle Bond is hacked on another Pokemon, then it does nothing in battle. I don't know whether this has already been shown, but since someone asked to me to test it elsewhere, I'll also confirm that Battle Bond boosts do not stay after switching out and back in, and that Battle Bond only works once per battle. As a bonus, the same footage also shows Protean working every switch-in because someone directly asked me to confirm that mechanic.

If you Transform your Ditto into an opponent's Zacian and get the Intrepid Sword boost, and you subsequently send out your own Zacian for the first time, do you get the boost or not?

If a Pokemon is affected by Soak, Magic Powder, or Reflect Type, changing its type and therefore its STAB, and then Teras, are its STAB bonuses determined by its original typing or the modified one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)