Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Hi! I'm trying my hand at this game again, running a bulkier team because I like Ting Lu. The problem is that right now Great Tusk just breaks my team open, with no one able to survive the combo of Fighting+Ground+KOff. So right now I either try and burn him with my Rotom-W, or I just lose. Who could I use to try and take on that mammoth?

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Hatterene @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Nuzzle

Iron Treads @ Air Balloon
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Tera Blast
- Wish
- Protect

Skeledirge @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Torch Song
- Hex
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
could I use to try and take on that mammoth?
this is a complex question, so its not really for the thread, but in my opinion, changing Iron Threads to Corv will help alot in that regard, and gholdengo is not gonna be that much of a problem since skele and the gholdengo bait you have (that is mine)

also change the IVs on the skele to max hp, 72 def bold nature and the rest on spdef

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
How does the rounding work for the Ruin Pokemon abilities? E.g. does Beads of Ruin round down 197 SpD to 147 after applying -25%?

How does the rounding work for the Ruin Pokemon abilities? E.g. does Beads of Ruin round down 197 SpD to 147 after applying -25%?
Generally pokemon loves to round down, so I've just assumed that the Ruin abilities also round down.
Worst case scenario, the 1 point in spdef causes a roll to be ever so slightly more in your favor. The chances of that happening are pretty slim though, so it's probably fine.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Generally pokemon loves to round down, so I've just assumed that the Ruin abilities also round down.
Worst case scenario, the 1 point in spdef causes a roll to be ever so slightly more in your favor. The chances of that happening are pretty slim though, so it's probably fine.
This is also what I've assumed, but I'd like to know how Showdown has coded it.

how do teams handle tera fire chi-yu.... either specs vs defensive teams or scarf vs offensive teams it just comes in and drops something with overheat... what do poeple use to check it at all besides sp. def blissey on balance or just idk on offense

how do teams handle tera fire chi-yu.... either specs vs defensive teams or scarf vs offensive teams it just comes in and drops something with overheat... what do poeple use to check it at all besides sp. def blissey on balance or just idk on offense
I've heard that Roaring Moon serves as a functional Chi-Yu check on offensive teams. It's not perfect of course, but it prevents you from just outright dying I'd think.

I've heard that Roaring Moon serves as a functional Chi-Yu check on offensive teams. It's not perfect of course, but it prevents you from just outright dying I'd think.
ok its a one time check sure... and that goes out the window if it teras... so i guess its a temproary stop.... but what about balance/defense vs specs

ok its a one time check sure... and that goes out the window if it teras... so i guess its a temproary stop.... but what about balance/defense vs specs
You ask the opponent nicely in chat, "Hey, can you not use your Chi-Yu?"
If they say yes, then you stand a chance. If they don't heed your request you can resort to emotional blackmail or simply just cry in your room as your ELO drops.

You ask the opponent nicely in chat, "Hey, can you not use your Chi-Yu?"
If they say yes, then you stand a chance. If they don't heed your request you can resort to emotional blackmail or simply just cry in your room as your ELO drops.
like the only way to beat chi-yu is to 50/50 it and hope for no flinches and hope it doesn tera fire overheat and absolutely blows you out of the water

Hi, what's the best way to beat Espathra with this Sample Team? Try to have Light Screen up, Taunt and maybe Parting Shot it ... and then 1v1 it with Tera'd Iron Hands, lol? https://pokepast.es/115ba22ec5fd3197
In general vs Espathra the best counterplay available is to prevent it from getting out of control. Whenever you see it in preview it's always on HO and the knowledge they're probably going to grimm -> cycle -> birb you can form your gameplan around that. However if the birb is in position then you're kinda just fucked.

Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, but why do we still have move cancelling on sims. It creates unnecessary and unreplicated (from cartridge) mind games most obviously with moves like sucker punch, but in general time to pick a move informs my decisions enough that I think it has a distinct impact on games in a silly way. Its been something thats bothered me since I started playing in gen 4 and because i'm getting back into competitive I'd like to start a discussion on this topic.
Edit: not to mention the frustration when you cancel a move but the servers a bit laggy and it goes through anyway xd

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I don't think so on the sole premise of "that would be exceptionally silly."
citing a quote on the vr

"a vast majority of nominations have been of poor quality historically and we reserve the right to revoke nomination privileges from thread posters at any point in time. If you are in doubt, then feel free to start a conversation with me on here or discord prior to nominating a Pokemon and I will give you honest feedback on the post."

I just want to be safe

citing a quote on the vr

"a vast majority of nominations have been of poor quality historically and we reserve the right to revoke nomination privileges from thread posters at any point in time. If you are in doubt, then feel free to start a conversation with me on here or discord prior to nominating a Pokemon and I will give you honest feedback on the post."

I just want to be safe
It's not that your nomination was of poor quality I'd argue, more so that your points weren't quite accurate and didn't quite represent its place in the metagame (Personally, Donphan has been an alright suicide lead for me, though it's horribly outclassed in that role.). That's not a bad thing really.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
It's not that your nomination was of poor quality I'd argue, more so that your points weren't quite accurate and didn't quite represent its place in the metagame (Personally, Donphan has been an alright suicide lead for me, though it's horribly outclassed in that role.). That's not a bad thing really.
Im glad that at least somebody tried Donphan even tho im bad at arguing, maybe somebody could have done it better, eh, idk

What are some good ways to deal with Garganacl effectively, and the different tera types it can run? I have been struggling to deal with the Pokemon whenever I have encountered it with a tera type on the ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)