Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just ran into a bulk up roost quaquaval, has anyone else been using this and how solid is it right now? My team couldn't touch it so was wondering if it was bad matchup or a legitimate threat.
I've seen it before (think I've tried it before). I think it works decently but the Swords Dance set is better because Quaquaval is kind of fragile 196 Def with no EVs invested and if you get statused it can kinda be over. Also with Bulk Up, you're adding Roost as a must, but with SD you have more coverage (Close Combat, Aqua Step / Aqua Jet, Ice Spinner) vs (Brick Break [No Drain Punch] / Ice Spinner, Aqua Step)

cinderace finally became available in scarlet violet, I bet that it will stay in OU for at least 2 months.
With the Libero/Protean Nerf, I'm not sure how this is gonna go. Especially with Skeledirge and Dondozo hard walling the bunny, I'm not sure if it's going to be overpowered this gen, and once Lando-T and Greninja return to the meta with Home support, its impact is probably gonna be even smaller. I do think it will still be a big meta threat with Bulk Up, great coverage, and a still good ability to boot, but I think it will stay in OU.

On the topic of Quavo, has anyone else tried Scarf Qua? I ended up slotting it in on a teambuild earlier for role compression and it actually worked quite well the games that I tried it.

After a single Aqua Step it outspeeds basically everything which makes things quite hard for opposing offense and it hits decently hard with 120 base attack and Moxie. I also find that most teams are quite water weak (note to self: try more mixed rain offenses). It doesn't take a lot for this to start running through teams that don't have Pex/Dozo.

Aside from the obvious STABs (Step and CC) you have Ice Spinner to hit the dragons, and U-turn to gain momentum early game.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Has anyone had any success with Mimikyu? I feel like, if there were a good OU environment for it, it would be this—a meta with threats that are effectively impossible to safely switch in on. I’m under no illusions that it’s good, just wondering if there’s any niche for it.

What's funnier is that whoever I figure out can live the hit is also weak to Fire and needs like 2 Calm Minds + Light Screen to survive it, so there's that. Maybe Assault Vest could help but you trade the possibility to be able to set up and potentially sweep for slightly more survivability on the special side

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Has anyone had any success with Mimikyu? I feel like, if there were a good OU environment for it, it would be this—a meta with threats that are effectively impossible to safely switch in on. I’m under no illusions that it’s good, just wondering if there’s any niche for it.
It’s been tried on a few ladder offenses and it’s still in a bad spot. Too many other Ghost types

I’ve toyed around with the idea of choice scarf mimikyu lol. Fast trick & will-o-wisp with the ability to live any one hit for revenging things like valiant.

ive only thought about it though lol, not tried it.

Also Future Sight Sight Slowking is interesting because it's not fully passive, but it also provides immediate pressure
I think FS Slowking is better now than it was earlier in the meta. More defensive Pokemon popping up gives it more opportunities to fire off a Future Sight, rather than being threatened every which-way by Flutter Mane, Iron Bundle Etc. I'd imagine it would have very good synergy w/ Chien-Pao since Snow is buffing up its defenses as an added bonus.

Also, this isn't a clever observation, but Black Sludge is probably a bad item on Pex and Amoongus now. There have been a few situation where I have seen the opponent Tera these Pokemon to emergency check something and immediately become useless afterwards since they are taking chip every turn & wasted there tera to boot. It was pretty funny to watch but probably best to run a diff item on them now.

I think FS Slowking is better now than it was earlier in the meta. More defensive Pokemon popping up gives it more opportunities to fire off a Future Sight, rather than being threatened every which-way by Flutter Mane, Iron Bundle Etc. I'd imagine it would have very good synergy w/ Chien-Pao since Snow is buffing up its defenses as an added bonus.

Also, this isn't a clever observation, but Black Sludge is probably a bad item on Pex and Amoongus now. There have been a few situation where I have seen the opponent Tera these Pokemon to emergency check something and immediately become useless afterwards since they are taking chip every turn & wasted there tera to boot. It was pretty funny to watch but probably best to run a diff item on them now.
They should change Black Sludge to not harm mons whose base type is poison, regardless of tera, as the potential of tera-ing makes the item pretty much unusable

Let’s be real, Tera is too strong already and doesn’t need any more buffs.
I see it more as a buff for the item than a buff for tera. I like the idea of having a variety of usable items instead of a few usable items and a bunch of worthless ones. It’s a moot point if tera gets banned anyway

If you hate laddering and don’t derive enjoyment from the game, then why ladder to get reqs to begin with? Seems like that’s the root of your issue. Regardless, I stand by what I said and I think the wide base of first time reqs getters (see: voter ID thread) speaks volumes to my claim being true.

If you can get to 35-8 with a 78 GXE, you can 100% get to 80 GXE in 50-60 games (it would have to be on a fresh alt since I know you kept going on that one). Realistically if you just keep trying new alts until you get a good start (say 8-0 or 13-2 types), then you’ll eventually get there if you keep focusing on improving. If you do the same thing over and over again and expect different results, you’re insane by definition — like that is the literal embodiment of insanity. Sometimes it’s best to take periodic breaks or save replays of losses and find what you did wrong, correct it for the next games, and come in with a fresher perspective. But with those numbers you showed, you’re clearly trending in the right direction and don’t need to shy away unless you’re just genuinely not enjoying, in which case ofc stop this is just a hobby after all.
My problem is getting over-obsessed easily and losing track of when to stop to take a break, instead head-smashing against stuff until I get burnt and need to vent a little. I've had to take long-term breaks from Pokemon just because of that. Please do take that post as what I needed to write after 5~6h of near non-stop laddering only to see what seemed like my best chance get tainted by two consecutive losses (with bad luck, to boot), and never recover from there.
As for your quote, reading that is the only reason why I even thought I had a chance to get reqs, as 80% GXE is something I only got once at my peak performance in SS Ubers, and only for a short time. And when I tried to get there, I got so close I understood you were right and it was possible, but still managed to always be one step away of my hand. Which made me feel like I shouldn't give up, but that causes the aforementioned issues. Worst part is, I pretty much threw away a couple of games with terrible performance just out of fatigue.

Have no doubt that I do enjoy the game, and have loved it both in its cartridge form since Gen 1 as a kid and in its competitive form since Gen 6 when I started to build teams. I just REALLY need to know when to stop to take a break.

How much Defense can Avalugg get in Snow with the 50% Defense Boost + 252 Defense + positive nature? Because I wonder if Great Tusk can OHKO under the right conditions

How much Defense can Avalugg get in Snow with the 50% Defense Boost + 252 Defense + positive nature? Because I wonder if Great Tusk can OHKO under the right conditions
FlHnQ4waUAAOgQ7.png

More seriously, 769 defense is the stat it gets, and
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Fighting Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg in Snow: 268-316 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Is the most Great Tusk is doing to it, I think.

Attachments

Jeez that's tanky. I think it can live KIngambit STAB Iron Head or Annihilape STAB Close Combat with that much bulk, even with a bad defensive typing like Pure Ice. With Ice Body and Leftovers this thing looks somewhat immortal under Snow.

Also Body Press on this thing with that much Defense is gonna be one big nuke that anything weak to fighting just can't switch into at all, and I think it could maybe put KIngambit in a difficult position since it might not even be able to switch in at all against Avalugg

Jeez that's tanky. I think it can live KIngambit STAB Iron Head or Annihilape STAB Close Combat with that much bulk, even with a bad defensive typing like Pure Ice. With Ice Body and Leftovers this thing looks somewhat immortal under Snow.
Unless you have a special attacker lol.

Joking aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Hail can do if Ninetales-A comes back.
Hail got an improved physical beast in Avalugg, type diversity in slowking, and a second decent abuser in cetitan. All that's missing is a veil setter in ninetales.

Last edited:
Unless you have a special attacker lol.

Joking aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Hail can do if Ninetales-A comes back.
Hail got an improved physical beast in Avalugg, type diversity in slowking, and a second decent abuser in cetitan. All that's missing is a veil setter in ninetales.
I’ve tried sticking Slowking + Baxcalibur on otherwise non-snow teams, and it feels decent. Run Thunder Wave on Slowking as support for Bax. Paralysis + the defense boost helps Bax set up

I’ve tried sticking Slowking + Baxcalibur on otherwise non-snow teams, and it feels decent. Run Thunder Wave on Slowking as support for Bax. Paralysis + the defense boost helps Bax set up
Personally I'm goig to wait for home, as I just prefer the galarian form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)