Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scream Tail is incredibly passive (65 Base Special Attack is PATHETIC) and invites many dangerous Pokemon in. Encore is also pretty exploitable.
But how is that different from Pex, or Clod, or Corv?

And honestly, while its attacking stats are pretty pathetic, it can still deal just enough to 1v1 a fair few threats like tusk & quaquaval

Pex can toxic and set up t spikes
Clod can set up all hazards and toxic
Corv can defog, u turn for momentum, and can make effective use of body press

Scream tail def has a niche, but it’s a total disruptor, with basically 0 offensive capability.

feel like if u want smth w dual screens ur just running grimmsnarl thanks to priority, so despite getting wished it seems pretty outclassed. fwiw pex/clod get toxic and really good abilities + corv has uturn/defog and works as a chien-pao check.

feel like if u want smth w dual screens ur just running grimmsnarl thanks to priority, so despite getting wished it seems pretty outclassed. fwiw pex/clod get toxic and really good abilities + corv has uturn/defog and works as a chien-pao check.
hows cyclizar this is the set im using
cyclizar regenerator
jolly Heavy Duty Boots
252hp 252 speed 4 def
uturn
shedtail
knockoff
rapid spin
it seems redundant with uturn and shedtail however it proves very useful for pivoting and allowing it to recovery more times to abhse shedtail.
also is there ru forum?

cyclizar regenerator
jolly Heavy Duty Boots
252hp 252 speed 4 def
uturn
shedtail
knockoff
rapid spin
it seems redundant with uturn and shedtail however it proves very useful for pivoting and allowing it to recovery more times to abhse shedtail.
also is there ru forum?
I don't use cyclizar much but that set looks very standard. U-turn is useful to have if your HP is too low for shed tail, so its not all that redundant.
Also yes, they just made one.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
18% usage? Sylveon is an extremely niche Pokémon lol. And why would RU be a strange occurrence for it? Sylveon hasn't seen mainstay UU presence since Gen 7, and it has certainly gotten worse between then and now.
Don't pay attention to them, MasterPlayer is the ultimate Glaceon fan, you won't see anybody that vouches so hard for the Iciest Eeveelution.

Glaceon is not viable in SV OU lol.

cyclizar regenerator
jolly Heavy Duty Boots
252hp 252 speed 4 def
uturn
shedtail
knockoff
rapid spin
also is there ru forum?
This is standard

dragon alge (Dragalge) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Toxic/Thunderbolt
I've been having a lot of fun with this set. Dragalge is one of those pokemon where you can really just click tera dragon draco meteor and chunk resists for like 60-70. It's hilarious, it's awesome, and god is it funny when you stay in on the Calm Mind Espathra and deal 50 when they're at +1 and you're at -2. The only really relevant fairies are Iron Valiant and Hatterene, and neither of those want to take Sludge Bomb.
EVs are to outspeed Ting Lu, it's 1 base speed point so I felt I wasn't sacrificing much for this decently nice benchmark.
(252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Dragon Dragalge Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 403-477 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- 37.5% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery) for those curious, dragon alge is truly crazy lol)

On that topic, I somehow managed to make Glaceon be a wannabe check to Corviknight, but it needs obligatory Snow support. With max Defense Evs and snow this thing has like 478 Defense, although I wonder how much it could hit with a positive nature. It even Iives neutral hits quite well too. The biggest surprise was to see this thing live Chien-Pao Sacred Sword under Snow during a match on ladder. But never bring it out against other special attackers, and especially not against Kingambit (because Glaceon will just never live STAB Iron Head at all)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
On that topic, I somehow managed to make Glaceon be a wannabe check to Corviknight, but it needs obligatory Snow support. With max Defense Evs and snow this thing has like 478 Defense, although I wonder how much it could hit with a positive nature. It even Iives neutral hits quite well too. The biggest surprise was to see this thing live Chien-Pao Sacred Sword under Snow during a match on ladder. But never bring it out against other special attackers, and especially not against Kingambit (because Glaceon will just never live STAB Iron Head at all)
STOP. DISCUSSING. GLACEON.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
What if you, wanted a safe, well organized board where healthy and productive discussion is made
But god says

+2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Glaceon Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Amoonguss: 1584-1866 (429.2 - 505.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Okay but lets get to a warmer side, lets talk about sun

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Clear Smog
- Stealth Rock

Normally I like to use tera ground and earth power instead of rapid spin so i can have a better smack against things like Ape, Garga, clod and lots of other stuff, but i have been trying this new set which, is kinda fun, for overall defensive supportive porpuses, do you guys like to run something specfici on your torkoals?

What if you, wanted a safe, well organized board where healthy and productive discussion is made
But god says

+2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Glaceon Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Amoonguss: 1584-1866 (429.2 - 505.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Okay but lets get to a warmer side, lets talk about sun

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Clear Smog
- Stealth Rock

Normally I like to use tera ground and earth power instead of rapid spin so i can have a better smack against things like Ape, Garga, clod and lots of other stuff, but i have been trying this new set which, is kinda fun, for overall defensive supportive porpuses, do you guys like to run something specfici on your torkoals?
Still an amateur asking maybe a dumb question.

If you're gonna run spin, wouldn't it be better to run boots? Relying on a Torkoal to spin means it'll take chip while holding a heat rock. Or do you pair it with another form of hazard removal? In that case, is it worth it to run spin over ep on Torkoal?

If you're gonna run spin, wouldn't it be better to run boots? Relying on a Torkoal to spin means it'll take chip while holding a heat rock. Or do you pair it with another form of hazard removal? In that case, is it worth it to run spin over ep on Torkoal?
A lot of sun teams also run Great Tusk, a much more reliable spinner. Rapid Spin or Torkoal is good as a nice back up, but you definitely do want heat rock to maximize turns of sun. Any additional mileage you get out of it (removing hazards, yawning something, spreading burns) is just a nice plus!

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater

I do share the feeling, however, Torkoal naturally deals with Gholdengo, since Ghold cant take a lava plume, therefore is a spinner not treaten by gholdengo, running spin on torkoal means your not running it on Great Tusk, meaning you could be running another move, this is where lures come in, Ice Spinner, Head Smash, Megahorn, Zen Headbutt, Stone Edge, Play Rough or even Facade are interesting moves to look at

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I do share the feeling, however, Torkoal naturally deals with Gholdengo, since Ghold cant take a lava plume, therefore is a spinner not treaten by gholdengo, running spin on torkoal means your not running it on Great Tusk, meaning you could be running another move, this is where lures come in, Ice Spinner, Head Smash, Megahorn, Zen Headbutt, Stone Edge, Play Rough or even Facade are interesting moves to look at
I would still run Spin on Tusk because it becomes pretty scary at +1 Speed and really scary if you can pull a second one off. Out of the moves you listed, I don’t really like running any on Great Tusk except maybe Ice Spinner. Head Smash is inaccurate and self-inflicted damage moves aren’t great in such a hazard-centric meta unless you’re running Boots; Megahorn doesn’t outdamage STAB on anything besides pre-Tera Espathra and the Slowtwins and is just too inaccurate in general; Zen Headbutt covers almost nothing that Ice Spinner doesn’t; Stone Edge is Stone Edge; Play Rough’s primary function is to miss exclusively on game-deciding turns; and Facade is a wasted moveslot when Tusk isn’t statused.

The mon that dropped to RU that surprised me is Tauros-Fire. It's not too bad in OU, and certainly very good to fly in UU but I guess it lost the slot to the other form. Much weirder drop if you ask me.

Also now that it's been a few days, how are we feeling about Cinderace in OU? Has anyone actually gotten good value from HDB Court Change sets like people were theorizing? Personally I wanna give it a crack on a sun team, but I'm more curious if it's actually doing anything on the hazard stack front.
Honestly I would think it would have to be worth a look. With Gholdengo (absolutely ridiculous, hope this is suspected next) on the loose and Maushold falling out of the metagame Court Change would be a much more reliable hazard control than the others.

Usage stats are out lads. Some of them are freakin wild. Baxcalibur dropped to UU, and that's not the craziest thing on that list.

Also, technically, Cinderace is now in RU lol.
Baxcalibur dropping was kinda expected haha, he isnt that special or good when compared with other dragons in the tier.

This set has been pretty fun to use. It 1v1s lots of stuff.

:sv/arcanine:

Arcanine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Flamethrower
- Play Rough
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Don't pay attention to them, MasterPlayer is the ultimate Glaceon fan, you won't see anybody that vouches so hard for the Iciest Eeveelution.

Glaceon is not viable in SV OU lol.

This is standard
U could arguably use Specs/LO glaceon in a trick room team. But yeah. Glaceon isnt really what i would call viable.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
This set has been pretty fun to use. It 1v1s lots of stuff.

:sv/arcanine:

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Flamethrower
- Play Rough
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
Honestly this isn't really bad, aside from it absorbing Chi-Yus Fire moves any other notable benefits to this?

This is more of a set I've been seeing in the mid to upper ladder:

:arcanine:

Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Roar

Kinda does the same job as Tauros Paldea-Fire but I think Tauros does it better (slightly by a close margin) because of Raging Bull.

I like to run a offensive Cyclizar either being Choice Band or Life Orb

Cyclizar @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin / Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw
- Knock Off

This is a Choice Specs variant:

Cyclizar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat

I'm willing to say offensive Cyclizar could work as a 3A + Shed Tail idea. Cyclizar by nature encourages using aggressive opposing Pokemon to minimize momentum advantage generated by Shed Tail, and offensive mons usually don't have the greatest bulk such that high power, even coming off Cyc's mediocre offenses, can still leave damage with some amount of progress if not lure in and remove them to help the teammate sweep later (Sub or not by then).

Unless passing to something particularly hard to break like a Multiscale Dragonite, bulky Kingambit, or maybe Iron Hands (the latter two on the Physical side), 70 HP vs 85 HP on the Sub probably won't decide the game by buying an extra turn anyway, so the HP EVs might do more work on the rare occasion that Cyclizar clicks to hit something instead of shedding another tail

That said hard agree with Finch's point above that if not using Shed Tail in some form, Cyclizar isn't the mon you want for optimal performance.

At what point do we just let the Glaceon joke die and/or take more direct action against users who aren't taking the hint (unless such has occurred in which case I apologize for assuming, just hard to be sure when I'm mostly in threads)? The Glaceon talk obviously ran its course both for any iota of serious consideration and the ironic propping up, but after being black listed and continuing to see it occupy posts from one or more users, I'm not sure the message is getting across to the degree it should be for the serious posters.

I'm willing to say offensive Cyclizar could work as a 3A + Shed Tail idea. Cyclizar by nature encourages using aggressive opposing Pokemon to minimize momentum advantage generated by Shed Tail, and offensive mons usually don't have the greatest bulk such that high power, even coming off Cyc's mediocre offenses, can still leave damage with some amount of progress if not lure in and remove them to help the teammate sweep later (Sub or not by then).
I use max hp max speed Shed tail knock off rapid spin draco meteor cyclizar, imo its the best you can run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)