Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
If Mudkipnerd was CEO of OU dot com, he would have just used his tiranical powers instead of this, oh well, such is life

Anyways, you all thinking about Chi Yummmm, i want Chien Pao banned, one thing that is gimmicky yet insane pulled off is Webs + SD Pao, if webs are up, and pao gets an SD its over, you cannot killed because he is faster than you in every single fashion imaginable, and has a morbillion attack, band, LO, fuck, i even saw a Chien Pao using FUCKING RECOVER, so he could live my toxic just a little more and kill my entire team, Recover chien pao is real, not even Donzo walls this thing if banded, and this is why i would rather run Body press over curse on pao
The fact that you gotta run Body Press on the most bulky physically defensive mon in the meta right now just so you don't get 2HKOd by Banded Chien is ridiculous, and another proof that this mf is broken as hell.

same
and another thing as well. haha. what will it be?!?!?!?! guess you will have to see.

On a more serious note:

We appreciate your thoughts and opinions, but rest assured this process was very thought through. There has been great discussion about how each stance on Terastallization's level of strength and facets of the mechanic's power should be handled in the metagame can be recognized in the voting process. This suspect was extremely unconventional to account for that, and took great effort to put together. Be sure to also remember that this turnout is not even close to final and that it's likely that we will be re-evaluating sometime following Pokemon HOME. We understand your frustrations, but this process has been vetted heavily by tiering administration and has been fleshed out heavily, and even this turnout isn't final.

For those of you voicing your thoughts, please do not harass other users and the thankless volunteers who have invested hours into making sure this suspect was possible in the way that it was.
Incredibly based and redpilled Ausma

I just want to say that if you're really torn up by the outcome here, and if you think it's going to impact your enjoyment of the tier that badly, nobody's forcing you to play it. I'm sure it might be disappointing that you won't get to see what Gen 9 OU would've been like otherwise but it's not like it's going to block you out from enjoying Pokemon ever again.

Otherwise, call it a hot take (I'm sure as heck not gonna pretend like I'm the best player out there) but I think Gholdengo's extremely problematic for the tier and should be on people's minds more than it is now. It's a major factor, even if not the only one contributing towards the meta being heavily warped towards hazard stacking right now. So many Pokemon are running boots where they really wouldn't and for just about every team it feels like you're having to play a guessing game horribly stacked against you whenever you want hazards removed period. I think at worst it should be seen as the second most problematic mon in the tier after Chi-Yu, with Annihilape, Chien-Pao, and Shed Tail coming in afterwards in some order.
gholdengo to me is at a middle ground where it is undeniably meta defining, arguably meta warping but not to the point of being broken, imo it feels a lot like adv ttar where it can fit on just about any playstyle and completely defines how the tier operates, but is still balanced in the sense that nothing it can do actually feels broken, the only form of removal it actually blocks more than other spinners is defog, and the only actual defogger we have right now is corviknight, so imo the argument that he forces guessing games is a bit poor, especially given that ghold is arguably a worse spin blocker than annihilape, I think the argument of forcing mons to run boots is also a bit weak, most mons weak to rocks realistically would be running boots anyway, and most that arn't rock weak don't tend to run boots/rarely would really want them, and its not like boots are the only answer to hazzard stack, hatterene shuts down most hstack teams with ease, especially with tera flying, cinderace smokes a lot of glimora based HO's that rely on hazard pressure to break through, and some spinners like av tusk can ease prediction by being able to spin and still win the 1v1 if gholden tried to spinblock, I think the other big thing is that even if gholdengo left the tier, hstack would still be very strong, its not like gholdengo is single-handedly making the tier hazard stack oriented, its a multitude of factors between the reduced defog distrabution and the increased spikes distrabution.

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
The fact that you gotta run Body Press on the most bulky physically defensive mon in the meta right now just so you don't get 2HKOd by Banded Chien is ridiculous, and another proof that this mf is broken as hell.
friendly reminder that tera dark choice band chien-pao 2HKOs every pokemon in the metagame with either crunch or ice spinner/icicle crash

Is ape really that big of an issue ? I play such aggressive teams he hasn’t really been a problem for me but I know enough to say I have a positive match up against him.

I’m assuming bulkier teams are having a hard time managing the game state in a way he’s not picking up cheap boost coming in on weak attacks ?

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
thank you! im no particularly good builder, will try out the great tusk variation

might actually write up a quick RMT for this
glad i could help with that suggestion! and yeah i'll probably keep an eye out for that RMT (since i do genuinely want to try this team out)

People ain't talking about it because the suspect stopped bans for like a month and the tier is held together by like toothpicks and rubber bands right now.

There is upwards of like 4ish things that need immediate attention. Like without Chi/Ape/Cyc the tier will start to heal but then youll have the immediate issue of Pao/Ghold being uncontestable.

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
Is ape really that big of an issue ? I play such aggressive teams he hasn’t really been a problem for me but I know enough to say I have a positive match up against him.

I’m assuming bulkier teams are having a hard time managing the game state in a way he’s not picking up cheap boost coming in on weak attacks ?
has a fantastic dual STAB typing in ghost/fighting, its signature move rage fist can snowball like crazy if you can't take it out fast enough and that is far easier said than done thanks to its 110/80/90 bulk in tandem with boosts from bulk up and taunt (or even rest) to shut down any attempts at poisoning it with toxic

Pretty much the latter, if you don’t crush it as fast as possible it snowballs pretty hard and with tera it’s even more difficult since it can uno reverse out of your outs to it.

offense can also struggle if it gets to set up and with tera but it’s easier to overcome with offense than defense

I want to chime in on this situation, moreso on the behaviors of everyone than the suspect results themselves. While I did not have the time, interest, or means to get the reqs needed to make any sort of difference, this result was certainly a unique one.

However, this overly eccentric behavior of hurling ad hominems from both the action and no-action parties is nothing short of disgusting and negatively impacting, far more than the results of this suspect.

I apologize for the bold/italics, but reading the last few pages of this thread and seeing both "the non-action crowd" and "action crowd" be labelled and mocked back and forth is some of the most childish and antithetical stuff that I have read in Smogon's history, and I've been lurking for about a decade now. You are not suddenly some sort of "freedom fighter" for fighting the Smogon system and its supposed "anti-fun" by voting no action, nor are the people that decided to vote no action some sort of plague. This memetic, black-and-white lenses are counter-productive, childish, and honestly disheartening and discouraging for anyone looking from the outside in. to even consider joining in if ad hominems are to be expected regardless of which side you are on.

Finch has the right idea in regards to the situation in that the best course of action is to go to the next course of business for OU and let all this be re-tested later, as there are arguably far more pressing matters to attend to. With Home coming out soon, there is definitely another opportunity to test Terastalization with more Pokemon to use it. For now, though, Pokemon like Chi-Yu and Ape, and surely many others, need to be looked at before any further things.

Yeah basically that. I can't understate just how badly Annihlape well... annihlates stall. Taunt prevents the other team from spreading recovery & status, Drain punch mitigates chip damage, bulk up mitigates walls & regen cores while rage fist crushes any unaware mons that try to beat it down. If you play properly, at least from my experience, Annihilape literally 6-0's stall, solo.

I want to chime in on this situation, moreso on the behaviors of everyone than the suspect results themselves. While I did not have the time, interest, or means to get the reqs needed to make any sort of difference, this result was certainly a unique one.

However, this overly eccentric behavior of hurling ad hominems from both the action and no-action parties is nothing short of disgusting and negatively impacting, far more than the results of this suspect.

I apologize for the bold/italics, but reading the last few pages of this thread and seeing both "the non-action crowd" and "action crowd" be labelled and mocked back and forth is some of the most childish and antithetical stuff that I have read in Smogon's history, and I've been lurking for about a decade now. You are not suddenly some sort of "freedom fighter" for fighting the Smogon system and its supposed "anti-fun" by voting no action, nor are the people that decided to vote no action some sort of plague. This memetic, black-and-white lenses are counter-productive, childish, and honestly disheartening and discouraging for anyone looking from the outside in. to even consider joining in if ad hominems are to be expected regardless of which side you are on.

Finch has the right idea in regards to the situation in that the best course of action is to go to the next course of business for OU and let all this be re-tested later, as there are arguably far more pressing matters to attend to. With Home coming out soon, there is definitely another opportunity to test Terastalization with more Pokemon to use it. For now, though, Pokemon like Chi-Yu and Ape, and surely many others, need to be looked at before any further things.
Uh when is soon for home lol. It's January and spring is months away. Was an official release date revealed and I'm just in thr dark?

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
gonna play a drinking game of how many undeserved wins a Chi-Yu user pulls out of their ass with Dark Pulse flinches so my family can sue Smogon for killing me via alcohol poisoning
reminds me of this one time i flinched dragonite down from full HP with scarfed chi-yu's dark pulse

it’s wild to me how upset so many are about “no action” winning. If “action” won, barely anything would change. We’d only be able to see tera types. It’s not like tera would be banned lol.

Happy to have been a part of this historic suspect test either way!

As far as QBs go, I support chi-yu and cyclizar ban. I can see Ape ban being a fine idea but personally see it more as a future suspect test thing. Though it’s true that Ape will be a bit stronger when Chi-yu is banned.

I don't think it has a chance of being banned in the near future, but my dark horse Pokemon that I wanna see On the Radar/maybe Suspected some time down the line is Garg. Once he Teras he so difficult to take down and Salt Cure is just so insanely difficult to switch into, SR sets are amazing at keeping Hazards up since you just stay in on Great Tusk and slowly whittle him down.

Personally with a mon like Chien-Pao I feel like I can just throw Tauros on my team and have sufficient counterplay, but Garg is something I find far more difficult to answer. I know Covert Cloak counterplay is emerging but the necessity of that item also points to Garg's overbearing nature.

tl;dr Garg kinda schnasty

I was planning on getting reqs and making a big post before the vote about my thoughts and the metagame moving forward and tiering philosophies, but I ran out of time (and am also very bad) so I didn't get the chance. What I will say now though is that I'm glad we're getting a Tera SPL because I think that will be amazing to watch (and participate in? :eeveehide:) and I hope we don't immediately do this all again in March when Home drops. It's been a wild few weeks that have left much of the community emotional (see the past 5 pages), so I hope the tier has time to relax, cool down a little before a huge topic like this is brought up again. Maybe ban the little fishy for now, that'll probably smooth things over a bit. :boi:

Uh when is soon for home lol. It's January and spring is months away. Was an official release date revealed and I'm just in thr dark?
I think it was stated to be "early 2023" If I had to hazard a guess it'll be early march - a week or so after Pokemon day.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor

Exactly, Rage Fist rewards you for doing literally nothing while getting hit, ending up quite easily with a 150/200 BP move. And like other people have said already, Ape's typing and bulk are actually great enough to allow him to survive a couple of hits. And don't get me started on the fact that Revival Blessing lets you keep Rage Fist's boost, so if that mf gets revived now you have a Scarfed mon with a 200 spammable move, and good luck stopping that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)