Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
tf you mean "the community" its 5 or 6 people bitching in a frorum about a decision that several of them didn't even get the reqs to vote for while the entire rest of the thread clowns on them for it, you are in the minority of people if you genuinely have a problem with the decision
"The community" is quite obviously reffering to the 60% action votes. If the majority votes for actions to be needed then no... im not in the minority.

"Shut up, idc" average response to when the community isnt happy with the decision ig lol
Totally fine to disagree with a decision, but the process follows established precedent (at least to the extent that it's possible for RCV to do so) and is in line with the results of the community vote.

Proceduralism is important in any process that seeks to distribute decision-making authority across multiple parties, as the Smogon tiering process is meant to do. You can disagree with the result (as I do), you can disagree with the procedure, but it's a blatant abuse of the process (and a violation of whatever thin meritocratic veneer Smogon has) to argue for nullifying the result because you retroactively think the procedure was bad.

Retroactively changing the norms and customs of an institution after the results come out would completely ruin its integrity. Arguing for this is pointless and incredibly disrespectful to Smogon's principles.

And to be clear, I think this was the worst possible outcome of the suspect test.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
If we're being Reelistic (and if I had to guess), I'd say we'll only get a retest once DLC drops, whatever that day might be.
agreed with this, i don't think it's getting a retest until the roster expands and the metagame shifts with the pokemon (both new and old) joining the fray in whatever the inevitable DLC has in store for us

Cyclizar: Pretty much provides all the same issues as Tera in terms of buying turns for setup sweeprs. Manigable in most metas, but in combo with tera is absolutely problematic
Ahem.
Cyclizar should not be banned, it's Shed Tail that is causing that. Free substitute pass with Regenerator is clearly unhealthy but Cyclizar could still be good without Shed Tail as a Rapid Spin Regen pivot. Honestly just because there is a clear unhealthy combo doesn't mean you should outright ban the mon causing it, and instead ban the MOVE that causes Pokemon to become unhealthy. If you still think Cyclizar should be banned cry more, you probably didn't have the capacity to read this anyway.

Anyone Got Cinderace Team trynna ladder
psure the bazzar has a couple, but i do have a bad team built around specs dragon alge
https://pokepast.es/17621313110df407 defo needs improvements but it has cinderace and it has one of my favorite mons to use, specs dragalge clicks draco and any non fairy is getting 2hkoed at minimum basically
i tera it liberally to secure KOs i really shouldn't but you don't have to do this
edit: forgot to mention! dragon alge evs are to outspeed corv so you don't get roosted on and actually 2hko it after rocks :)

Totally fine to disagree with a decision, but the process follows established precedent (at least to the extent that it's possible for RCV to do so) and is in line with the results of the community vote.

Proceduralism is important in any process that seeks to distribute decision-making authority across multiple parties, as the Smogon tiering process is meant to do. You can disagree with the result (as I do), you can disagree with the procedure, but it's a blatant abuse of the process (and a violation of whatever thin meritocratic veneer Smogon has) to argue for nullifying the result because you retroactively think the procedure was bad.

Retroactively changing the norms and customs of an institution after the results come out would completely ruin its integrity. Arguing for this is pointless and incredibly disrespectful to Smogon's principles.

And to be clear, I think this was the worst possible outcome of the suspect test.
Bro, ik you dont wanna be mean but english isnt my first language and i have no idea what half of all that means lol

From here, I think there's about 3-4 Mons that need to go.

- Chi Yu: I think this one is obvious
- Annihilape: Rage fist is insane, we know this. Plus the completely different ways needed to refuse rest and taunt sets makes it nrly impossible to safely disarm.
- Cyclizar: Pretty much provides all the same issues as Tera in terms of buying turns for setup sweeprs. Manigable in most metas, but in combo with tera is absolutely problematic
- Espathra/Gholdengo: Not as absolutely problematic as the others, but both have absolutely ridiculous, game warping traits. I'm unsure if either needs to be QB, but should be suspected soon IMO
I also agree with Ghold. I think espa without shed tail can be manageable but in this limited pre home meta with the expected bans on the power mons Gholdengo will have barely any counter play. The only thing right now keeping at even reasonable levels now is Great Tusk.

*Insert comment about OU tyranny and Big Stall (tm) here*

In short: It's important to follow established thoughts/ideas, and claiming that a vote should have been nulled by way of process is unfair and removes the upstandingness of Smogon as a concept.
I dont think it should be completely nulled, just really dont like the outcome of the vote and the concept of supermajority. If basically 60% want actions to be done then something should happen imo.

what pokemon has free substitute pass with regenerator again sorry I'm a noob
this guy called cyclizar
if you played through the games youve probably seen it running around, it's that bike lizard thing?
it has this move called shed tail, where at the cost of 50% of your HP you pass a substitute to any pokemon in the wings.
its standard ability is the pretty useless shed skin but it gets regenerator HA.
I dont think it should be completely nulled, just really dont like the outcome of the vote and the concept of supermajority. If basically 60% want actions to be done then something should happen imo.
I suppose, but at the end of the day Smogon's been doing this for a pretty long time and changing things up feels a bit unfair.

Regardless of the end result of this test (I could care less tera is fun af) I think the formatting of it was especially terrible. Despite not reaching a super majority (59% lol), even no action voters would have preferred tera preview if anything. This is because of the 2 terrible options of Tera Captain and STAB Tera only clogging up the options (no offense if you voted for these) and making this test extremely one-sided.

Moving forward though I think its quite obvious Chi-Yu needs to be banned, not going to waste my time explaining why. Annihilape and Cyclizar are the other two I see mentioned most in this thread among the rampant whining from people that couldn't even qualify for reqs. Both of these Pokemon are some of the most degenerate creatures I've ever seen in my life and force such absurd methods of playing around that I don't even feel like I'm playing the game. Regardless of Tera, Ape forces you to constantly walk on egg shells, lest you accidentally give it a 100-infinity BP move of the best offensive type in the game, this in tandem with Tera and Revival Blessing makes this Pokemon over the top to me, and is one of the biggest examples of a skewed Risk vs Reward I've seen in any video game ever.

One of the other fucked examples of Risk vs Reward being skewed is Cyclizar, who isn't really broken in my opinion, but promotes an extremely lame playstyle devoid of skill or aforementioned risk. I do think Cyclizar itself is the culprit rather than the move, for more than the obvious reason that Orthworm sucks donkey balls, and that's Cyclizar's ability to pass Shed Tail repeatedly through a game thanks to Regen and U-Turn.

this guy called cyclizar
if you played through the games youve probably seen it running around, it's that bike lizard thing?
it has this move called shed tail, where at the cost of 50% of your HP you pass a substitute to any pokemon in the wings.
its standard ability is the pretty useless shed skin but it gets regenerator HA.
oh my god! i never even noticed

wow maybe now that guys entire point is completely disproved idk im just a noob

That's the thing though... 60% don't want it to be done, about 59% do. Yes, 60% is arbitrary, but its the goalpost that was chosen, and it has to be stuck to. It's to create stability, as a simple majority (more than 50%) muddies the water - what if players that support this change leave, what if others who don't support it arrive? A supermajority is to some degree arbitrary, but that was what was chosen, so we stick to it.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Since nobody is gonna enter the next OU Tournament, im gonna enter and win by being the only one there, easiest win of all time lmao

But for real, like, bro, its not the end of the world, I mean, i wanted it ban but couldnt get reqs, and I know its sometimes frustrating, but you gotta take the good with the bad, breath in, breath out and just move on, you can also do like me and spam :Choice Specs: Astral Barage from :Calyrex Shadow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)