Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Espathra won't be the most consistent pokemon, but it's also an obnoxious match up fish which can snatch wins fairly effortlessly against teams who lack sufficient counterplay.
Isn't that every set up mon? Personally I never feel pressured when I see an Espathra in the other team, while stuff like Volc or Dragonite makes me want to play super safe.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Espathra won't be the most consistent pokemon, but it's also an obnoxious match up fish which can snatch wins fairly effortlessly against teams who lack sufficient counterplay. While it's not something on most people's radar right now, it isn't something to be ignored as its potential is very volatile.
Thank you very much for including that last paragraph, because it completely encapsulates how I feel about Espathra and you worded it better than I did. I don’t think that anyone could claim that Espathra is as potent or “broken” (I really feel like that word is used too generally and often to hold much meaning anymore though) as something like Chien-Pao. However, I feel like Espathra introduces an unhealthy matchup fishing aspect into the tier and I don’t think its inclusion offers much benefit to the health of the tier at all, although I understand that some people believe that everything except for the most demonstrably detrimental mons should remain in a tier, so they are more willing to disregard the potential values a mon contributes. I doubt that too much action will be considered against Espathra because it reminds me a lot of Volcarona in previous gens (Volc has never truly been considered overpowered and has had counterplay, but its threat to 6-0 matchups and sometimes just sweep off of hax has never sat right with me) and Volc was never suspected. Also, Volc is still probably just the “new Volc” anyway because all of what I said is still true and applies to Volc, and Tera makes Volc even scarier, but Volc at least provides more utility and value to the tier than Espathra that either just sweeps or doesn’t contribute much. I still really don’t like Volc though so I guess that Espathra just joins Volc and Sub Serperior to form an unholy triumvirate of my three least favorite and “cheap” feeling mons ever.

Last edited:
This may sound weird but Espartha reminds me of baton pass. If you get unlucky or predict badly it can get ugly really quickly.

Also what is the first impression of Greninja? Does it provide something useful in OU?

Edit: wtf I tried Greninja and Specs or LO IS really good. I am shocked feels like using offensive Starmie in the past gens.

Last edited:
Also what is the first impression of Greninja? Does it provide something useful in OU?

Edit: wtf I tried Greninja and Specs or LO IS really good. I am shocked feels like using offensive Starmie in the past gens.
With a damage boosting item looks like the best protean for offense teams, what differentiates him from Meow or Cinderace is that the current meta struggles a bit with strong special attackers with good coverage as good as Gren's, said movepool makes Grean easy to fit on your teams because you can just give the coverage your team needs.
Scarf Gren looks like is on his worst moment, the damage without LO or specs simpply isn't enough in this meta.

It's 5 am here and I am at the airport trying not to sleep. Good moment to put some thoughts about some Mons of the Tier, especially since not many people will be enraged at my usually controversial opinions:

Chien Pao: Has some defensive and offensive counterplay, it for sure isn't Annihilape. The counterplay is not useless without him in the Meta, Paldean Water Tauros checks Kingambit, Floatzel, Cinderace, Great Tusk (outside of BU and Band) , Normal Dragonite, some Baxcalibur and Scizor among others. Pdef Quaquaval is the same, but with worse bulk, trading it for Roost, U-Turn and some sweeping potential. Fire Tauros can spread burns and check Meowscarada and Breloom. Iron Hands can be a win condition for some teams, same for BD Azumarill. Tera Pex, Alomomola (Fairy + Play Rough) and Dondozo are good Mons. Pdef Volcarona burns others Mons, not only Chien Pao. Lokix is bad vs balance and Stall, but very good vs offense regardless of Chien Pao. Slither Wings is another First Impression user. Weather sweepers exist to RK and Torkoal itself is quite bulky. Tinkaton puts Rocks vs Hatterene, paras Gholdengo and sometimes sweeps. Chien Pao shouldn't be Quick Banned, but suspected instead.
Now, if it is suspected, I will still vote Ban, it's just not a super obvious one like Annihilape, we should give him a chance. I would vote Ban because Band + Tera Dark is not the only set to account for and it has enough moves, items and Tera options to overwhelm every single check, combined with enormous speed and power. Despite not considering it Quickban worthy, I still consider it broken enough.

Greninja: Didn't have the opportunity to play with it in the Meta (got released yesterday and I am traveling) but Specs set alone is A+ Rank for me and very close to being broken with that infinite movepool, high speed and power (+ option to run hazards). Of course, not to the degree of Chien Pao and this veredict might change when I actually play with it, but from Theorymon perspective, it's almost as strong as in SM ( and I considered Protean Greninja broken in SM, unlike Ass variant) despite the nerf. This is mainly due to recovery nerf and some former checks (Magearna, Tan growth, Toxapex, Kyurem, Blissey, Primarina) either not being present or being worse than in SM.

Garganacl: Yes, new sets are being discovered with this guy, but so is new counterplay. Very annoying Mon, but not problematic for the Tier.

Espathra: SS Poltergeist but actually good. It will sweep some teams and will do 0 to others. Match-up fishing is not a reason for me to Ban a Mon and this one requires a lot of support + commit to Tera to work. Some teams aurolose to it, but others autowin without even preparing specifically for it. Not a problem for the Tier.

Volcarona: Very good Mon, but far from broken. We already had this Mon in DLC1 Meta of SS, with Boots and no Heatran. It was very far from broken there. With Tera, is better than DLC1 SS one, but there are still sure counters and very solid checks. Every physical Tera Fire Mon (there are a lot viable ones, explore them) . Toxic Clodsire. Skeledirge except the very niche Tera Water. Pex vs no Psychic. TW Pult. Flash Fire Mons. Facade Mons (seen some Dragonites with that).

Dragapult: Tera Water and Electric on Specs are good.

Iron Treads: I still consider this guy a good alternative to Tusk. Tusk is better as offensive Mon, but Treads is better as Rocks + Spin Mon with some good role compressions and better defensive typing.

Kingambit: I predict this guy to be a B rank at most in like 6 months when people realize how easy it is to prepare for it due to that speed. Right now it's still good and it will always be, but it will end up very far from a dominating force.

Corviknight: Pdef=big trash. Sdef=Good, Defog or BU. Won't elaborate.

Iron Valiant: Just like Greninja, might become banworthy in the future due to Specs alone, but has many amazing sets. One of the hardest to check Mons in the Tier. Not broken yet.

Ting Lu: Standard set= Bad. Weird innovations (Band, Restalk, trap + Taunt, etc.) = great potential.

Garchomp: Unironically great when offensive, be it SD or Mixed Tera Fire. Extremely hard to avoid losing a Mon to it, unless using Stall.

Glimmora: Just like the 2 guys above, offensive sets are way better on this.

Hippowdon: Along with Tusk (who is a little worse at the task due to lack of recovery), it's the one guy that prevents Band Pawmot from being one prediction away from destroying everything slower than it.

Baxcalibur= Band>>>>>DD.

Iron Moth and Slither Wing: Lots of unexplored Tera and moveset potential here, this will increase usage in the future.

Eeveelutions: Will keep them to myself for now, but I see niches for every single of them (including Glaceon of course). This didn't happen even in early SS.

It's only just occured to me, but isn't Good as Gold... Just a worse version of magic bounce? Other than blocking defog, I can't particularly think of anything it does better.

It's only just occured to me, but isn't Good as Gold... Just a worse version of magic bounce? Other than blocking defog, I can't particularly think of anything it does better.
Yea but you can’t reflect rapid spin with magic bounce because rapid spin is an attack. Gholdengo is immune to spin

Yea but you can’t reflect rapid spin with magic bounce because rapid spin is an attack. Gholdengo is immune to spin
Yes. Gholdengo is good because of a combination of traits. I've just always thought of Good as Gold as being the best status prevention ability, and have only just reconciled with the fact it isn't really.

The tier needs knock off absorbers, found one.

Flamigo @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Scrappy
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Roost
- Taunt

Flamigo can repeatedly come into knock despite its below-average physical bulk thanks to resists and investments. It can then unleash its attacks, roost or taunt to cripple a mon. It also is immune to spikes and toxic spikes, while also not being weak to stealth rock, which is a key factor in coming in repeatedly to absorb knock off in a hazard infested meta game.

The speed EVs are used to out speed max speed Great Tusk. It walls great tusk (other than the rare Play Rough) and can check Iron Threads and threaten a strong STAB attack against both elephants. Additionally, scrappy is a bonus to check Gholdengo lacking Scarf and prevent Pult from ever coming in.

In a vacuum, Magic Bounce is effective against more things. Good as Gold has a different interaction with Parting Shot, blocks Memento and Trick on top of Defog obviously. Magic Bounce however bounces back hazards, being in this way the opposite side of the same coin in that it makes hazards hard to place instead of hard to remove, and is arguably more effective against the things that both block because it bounces them back instead of just blocking them. The point is that Gholdengo is far superior stat wise to any Magic Bounce user currently available, even if its ability could be argued as inferior, and its Ghost type makes the Defog blocking perk particularly effective because otherwise it would just be getting spinned on.
AAA has banned Magic Bounce but not Good as Gold, so make of that what you will.

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Fuck Zodiac sings, let's play a game, the game is called
"what the last move on your specs gren says about you
"

-Grass Knot
1) he feels cool about killing giants like David and Goliath
2) he loves using Low Kick on Weavile on Gen 8 Ubers
3) "this reminds me of that one time when I fell at school and everybody laughed at me"
As seen recently, Grass Knot has a niche due to the heavy amount of Heavyweight mons, that are either weak or neutral to grass, forcing them to tera in order to not get badly destoyed, thing is, because its a weight move, you will deal heavy damage regardless, grass also has some utility in absorbing spore and grass attacks from unsuspecting mons

-Extrasensory
1) He hated pex on gen 7, he hated pex on gen 8, still hates pex in gen 9 despite the nerfs
2) He once tried to challenge Finchinator to a battle with 6 toxapex counters, somehow still losed to pex, has never been the same since
3) "At least Ferrothorn is not in the game anymore"
While seen as a move that is there just to counter pex, this meta has a particulary high amount of psychic weak mons, tusk, valiant, pawmot, hands, moth, glimmora, quaquaval, clodsire, breloom and amongus, these are some of the most dangerous mons around, and having a way to hit them all safely seems promising for a move that is ofteen seen as a meme

-U Turn
1) He swears he is gonna use it to keep momentum, never uses it anyways, refuses to change it because he swears its gonna be usefull one day
2) it's so pasive agresive about his choices in the game that has been afecting his personality on real life
3) Hates Tankchomp, still U-turns on the obvious chomp switch in
U-Turn is a move extremly friendly on choice locked mons due to the fact that if predicted correctly (and this is easier thanks to the fact that your switching out with little consecuence afterwards), you can pivot out of an incoming thread, while generating offensive momentum and valuable chip damage, not to mention getting a friend in that can either counter the mon infront of you or a mon that uturn once again, theres a reason volt turn teams are one of the most dangerous if played correctly

-Spikes
1) bro why you running spikes on a frail choice locked mon?
2) Somehow manages to get away with it
3) All his teams get 6-0 by corviknight on paper, has never losed to one in his life
I really dont understand why you people do this, MY GUESS is for role compression and abusing the fact that your generating switches due to your natural power, therefore, getting them for free and a potential electric inmunity that turns your counters into free momentum grabbing for you, but I just dont feel comfortable with it man, can someone sell me on this?

If you think I forgot a move that should be mentioned, please let me know, what do you guys are going to run
Extrasensory
I hate toxpaex - yes . I never fought with Finch , but well yea your prediction would definately be correct if I would do so [ except the 6 toxapex counter - feels kinda stupid to do so] .

The tier needs knock off absorbers
arguably the most splashable mon in the meta is a physically bulky fighting-type who's also the tier's most consistent hazard remover and often runs an item it consumes immediately, and there's like a single-digit number of knock off users on the vr. i really don't feel like we're desperate for knock off absorbers right now. that said, good set, flamigo's a pretty based mon. i also think :hawlucha: is a pretty good knock off absorber—it shares a lot of defensive traits with flamigo and can come packing unburden + acrobatics to make knock off users really suffer, as well as defog to remove hazards on its own

arguably the most splashable mon in the meta is a physically bulky fighting-type who's also the tier's most consistent hazard remover and often runs an item it consumes immediately, and there's like a single-digit number of knock off users on the vr. i really don't feel like we're desperate for knock off absorbers right now. that said, good set, flamigo's a pretty based mon. i also think :hawlucha: is a pretty good knock off absorber—it shares a lot of defensive traits with flamigo and can come packing unburden + acrobatics to make knock off users really suffer, as well as defog to remove hazards on its own
Unburden boost only activates once per battle and you lost the boost if you switch, so it is very situational.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Weavile returning to OU after Pao gets banned like:

+4 252+ Atk Weavile Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 482-570 (111 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Weavile Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 430-507 (106.4 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Weavile Ice Spinner vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Brute Bonnet: 410-486 (112.9 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

goat mon is unwallable fr bro will dominate

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
As much I like Weavile, we need to let him go, Pao outclassing him isn't the only reason why Weavile is bad now. :psycry:

Now, with Pao gone which Pokemon do you think that will be the main wall breaker of OU?
I have little doubt that Iron Valiant and Dragapult will become a lot better now if Chien Pao is gone. Azu is still good but it had a niche of switching into Pao, so it definitely won't be as good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)