Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
OU room going crazy rn. Sufys seems to think that this indicates a Shed Tail ban rather than a Moon ban due to Shed Tail being on the last survey. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a Moon ban though. Thoughts?
I've been a bit disconnected from the tier, but Moon's always, even in the early era of the tier, felt like "Hey, this guy's pretty good. Not broken, but pretty good." It puts in work every single game, mostly, but it never really feels overwhelming or anything.

I'm decently confident the moon outline is a troll and it'll be like Volcarona or something contorted to fit Moon's body.

Roaring Moon is an odd choice even as a troll because it doesn't have much relation to the more likely Volcarona (or Garganacl) in role or in checking (Volc barely runs Bug Buzz so I guess Moon could check it, but attacking into a Flame Body mon isn't the most fun idea for it either).

And if this is a Roaring Moon suspect somehow I would be genuinely curious what the explanation was since it hasn't been making any Survey Waves

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
April fools is next week

edit: Finch we need some clarity (Is it Moon or Tail)?
10 days does seem like it'd be a while out for setting up the joke, though under that premise I feel like Roaring Moon sits too firmly on "pretty good" line to quite make sense. My point of comparison was in I believe Gen 7 or 8 where there was an AF Suspect for dropping Giratina-A to OU, which was absurd in hindsight but also plausible enough under that gen's offense to not be a troll like Mewtwo or something.

For the record I'll stop commenting if told to by a mod but I'm not above nitpicking jokes, especially because this would be yet another 2 weeks of "Smogon Bans everything" comments on every Social Media post.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
DD Roaring Moon has always been the kind of mon you need to be careful around (unless you have Dondozo in the back), otherwise you risk getting swept by it. But it's definitely far from broken, and whenever I lose to it I always recognize that I could have played better. NOW Shedtail on the other hand...

I have had little success using Moon myself, but it is one of the scariest Pokemon for me to fight due to its ridiculous Speed & many of its sets having somewhat different counters. That being said, I think it can struggle with Corviknight and Orthworm.

Finch saying a ban might be imminent suggests that a Roaring Moon quickban is coming if that silhouette is accurate. Roaring Moon in the sun is pretty scary. Maybe Walking Wake changed the meta to something a lot more favourable to Roaring Moon with less Dondozo usage, and now Roaring Moon is revealing how strong it actually is. I feel it being 10 days before April Fool's makes it less likely that it's a joke ban as it seems too early for that sort of joke.

Finch saying a ban might be imminent suggests that a Roaring Moon quickban is coming if that silhouette is accurate. Roaring Moon in the sun is pretty scary. Maybe Walking Wake changed the meta to something a lot more favourable to Roaring Moon with less Dondozo usage, and now Roaring Moon is revealing how strong it actually is. I feel it being 10 days before April Fool's makes it less likely that it's a joke ban as it seems too early for that sort of joke.
Screenshot_20230322_165209.jpg

https://pokepast.es/661ff051fd2050cf

i gave it a shot before Wake came out, ended up making a team with the help of some people from the OU chatroom on showdown, iirc it was Mimikyu Stardust but I'm sure a few others also contributed. it ended up being not too awful but still pretty not great. probably v outdated now due to wake existing but i'm sure there's a few modifications you could make to the team to make it a bit better vs it (probably booster valiant instead of specs for instance).

from what i remember of using it, weavile's beat up even w/ tera was still pitifully weak in comparison to how it use to be in gen 8, which is a shame, because cb beat up weav was my favourite team style back in gen 8. maybe if it gets triple axel + knock off back in home it'll be good again, but probably not.
Praying for a Knock Off return in Home, very unlikely but never know if move tutor's get added in the upcoming DLC's

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I don't know if it's appropriate for a mod to publicly troll, especially when it's on some topics usually officially announced by him. Anyways, I would be happy if there was gonna be a suspect on whatever though (better if it's on garg, damn it).
I’ve gotten a few comments like this across the generation just given the sheer amount I post and the the fact between here and Twitter, I include my fair share of memes and jokes. Let me just set the record straight.

I think it’s a fair grievance to be upset if you believe something is happening from someone in a position of authority and then it is taken away. I also do not think that this is the case here though as every quickban has necessitated a radar and/or public notice, likely involving a survey. In addition, Roaring Moon hasn’t been discussed for tiering action in a long while. It seemed pretty innocent to me given this, but I am sorry if any signals got crossed along the way. That’s not my intent.

My intent is just to have fun and bring the community together. So many people got talking between here, the OU room, Twitter and Discord this afternoon and that was pretty awesome, in my opinion. I think this generation so far has been among the most stressful times for me ever on Smogon, so lightening the mood and shifting the focus is always a pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)